Photo

Nintendo Left Behind in Innovation?

Wii U PS4 Omni Xbox 360 Xbox 70

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Next Gen (42 member(s) have cast votes)

PSO vs Wii U

1. PSO Wins (4 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

2. Wii U Wins (22 votes [52.38%])

Percentage of vote: 52.38%

3. I want both (15 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

4. I don't want either (1 votes [2.38%])

Percentage of vote: 2.38%

720 vs Wii U

1. 720 Wins (4 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

2. Wii U Wins (27 votes [64.29%])

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

3. I want both (9 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

4. I don't want either (2 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

I know this rumor has been posted before, but I feel this video does a better job of connecting previous rumors lining up and connecting with what we all ready know and heard.

However, some crazy stuff mentioned in the video. If you have not all ready watched it -- lots of cursing, and not a short video.

PS Omni (PSO) to have Omni Viewer that basically makes any TV into a 3D TV, and gives games a HUD. This sounds cool.

Xbox 720 to have some sort of projection that makes your living room into the game world. That is amazing if true.

PSO to be 350 - 450 for basic, and 450 - 550 with the omni viewer. Decent price point. Also just like I expect -- not much more powerful than the Wii U. The Xbox 720 -- said to be released in 2014 with a soft launch in 2013 if I heard right -- closer to 500, with a cheaper price being on contract with Xbox Live. This makes sense and we have heard about them doing this.

I would also like to point out, in regards to Modern Warfare 4 being developed by one developer, and another developing for Wii U/PS3/360 version, kinda makes sense now. I don't think power has anything to do with it. PSO and 720 are completely different with a unique control schemes that the Wii U can't do. Did I just say that? Wii U can't do something GAMEPLAY that the other's can? This is exciting, and I don't think Nintendo has anything to worry about -- but this means Nintendo will be ramping up in innovation and software. They can't ride easy. WHICH IS BETTER for us.

With that said, I'm not signing a contract nor am I spending 500 on Xbox 720. I will buy the PSO if only for the Omni Viewer. I could care less about the games announced so far (in this rumor).

And SUPER SMASH BROS 4 PLAYABLE DEMO. Did I miss that in the other rumor thread somehow? WTF? Really? Freaking awesome. I'm excited for E3 2013. Screw 2012. I'm right there with Shokio on this. And what is crazy -- I don't know who will win. E3 2012 easily won by Nintendo, and was expected with the Wii U full reveal (although somewhat disappointed, sure). But with two new hardware reveals as cool as PSO and 720, Nintendo to bring new hardware and a frac ton of games for both 3DS and Wii U, and SSB4 ... and some super awesome shock wave game that they are backing some 3rd Party Developer. Shokio mention Square but I am thinking GTA V or Activision and Bungie or something crazy like that. But we are all probably going to guess wrong. Which is the point I think.

What do you guys think? Exciting time isn't?

Edited by MorbidGod, 09 December 2012 - 08:49 PM.

Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#2 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

Uh...well, I think that for how much the quoted prices of the systems are, and what the innovations are supposed to do...it seems bogus.

As in not near expensive enough to be truly legit.

But hey, I'm just a 17 year old trying to finish 12th grade, what do I know?

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#3 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

My predictions.
Most people will want a Wii U instead of 720.
People will want an Omni and a Wii U.

#4 bornsupercharged

bornsupercharged

Blooper

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Forza, Gears of War

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Assuming full backwards-compatibility with 360 games, I will be getting the next xbox. If not, it's highly doubtful.

I will definitely not be getting a playstation again.
Posted Image

#5 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

My predictions.

That is my guess too.

And i think the 720 will be Microsoft's PS3 moment. They will use the Xbox branding to sell Windows 8 and beyound, just like Sony did with Blu-Ray/PS3 and end up being last in the next gen race.

#6 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

Now's not the time to get hyped, you're just going to end up disappointing yourself.

But, both the PSO and the Xbox 720 sound awesome (if this is true). But, if Microsoft thinks they will sell 720s at $500, they're absolutely delusional.

My predictions.

JUST KIDDING, Oyua comes and it sells BILLIONS.

#7 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

My thoughts:

1. Nintendo will still lead in gameplay, originality, and innovation.

2. I will almost definitely get a XBox 720 over a PSO, if I get one at all.

Edited by PotatoHog, 09 December 2012 - 09:12 PM.

#8 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

I believe nothing until proven.

Not sure how things will shape up once the other next gen systems are out.

What i do know is that people are hung up on spec way to much. Everyone is saying the wii u not much faster then a ps3. But its all new tech it takes less to make more type time.

Also each system will have there own thing and its up to the devs of each game on how they use it. So we shall see what happens. If sony ends up like the vita then it will be death to them.

And the wii u will probably sell more systems when those come out since they will be way over the wii u price and most will out for the lower price.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#9 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

I can't wait until Microsoft and Sony releases their next consoles. It's truly going to be exciting watching Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony competing with each other once again. Microsoft and Sony seem like they're going to have really innovative consoles. I hope they take dirty shots at one another at E3. Hopefully the majority of these rumors are true. I can't wait until E3 this year, it's going to be great. Perhaps one of the greatest E3's of all time.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#10 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

No matter what Sony puts out... its gonna be trash... that omni viewer/visor thing sounds like a headache in the making

And the Xbox projector sounds cool.... on paper... just like the kinect it will be buggy as hell and itll be one of those things that none of the developers will want to sink the money into and make good games

#11 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

1. Nintendo will still lead in gameplay, originality, and innovation.

Let analyse that, what is innovative about the wiiU? It second screen has been done for many years, I do like it, but innovative it is not. Furthermore when did Nintendo last release a new IP and not just another Mario, Zelda etc, or when did they release a new game with gameplay that was innovative (the wii motion controls count to some extent, but they tended to only change how you interacted with the game as apposed to how the game played). As for gameplay you need games to succeed in this, something the wii sorely has lacked compared to the ps3, 360 and pc for a few years now (and why they have been trying to push third party support recently, but still the following are thus far not coming to the wiiU: GTA5, Crysis 3, Dead Space 3, Battlefield 3, MOHW (was originally advertised then dropped), Tomb Raider, Dead Island Riptide, Lord of The rings Lego, Sniper 2, Bioshock Infinite, Devil May Cry etc).

Nice try, but I fail to see how Nintendo will lead in any of those areas. Where Nintendo will succeed is release great first party titles (or at least there history would suggest as much).

Edited by PedanticGamer, 09 December 2012 - 10:00 PM.

#12 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

Let analyse that, what is innovative about the wiiU? It second screen has been done for many years, I do like it, but innovative it is not. Furthermore when did Nintendo last release a new IP and not just another Mario, Zelda etc, or when did they release a new game with gameplay that was innovative (the wii motion controls count to some extent, but they tended to only change how you interacted with the game as apposed to how the game played). As for gameplay you need games to succeed in this, something the wii sorely has lacked compared to the ps3, 360 and pc for a few years now (and why they have been trying to push third party support recently, but still the following are thus far not coming to the wiiU: GTA5, Crysis 3, Dead Space 3, Battlefield 3, MOHW (was originally advertised then dropped), Tomb Raider, Dead Island Riptide, Lord of The rings Lego, Sniper 2, Bioshock Infinite, Devil May Cry etc).

Nice try, but I fail to see how Nintendo will lead in any of those areas. Where Nintendo will succeed is release great first party titles (or at least there history would suggest as much).

The Gamepad is a new technology, a new piece of equipment. The DS doesn't count. It was a handheld and it isn't exactly the same. For example, in Call of Duty Black Ops II Wii U, one person can use the Gamepad as a screen, while the other player can use the TV. Each has a whole screen to themselves. There have been other ways of doing this but they tend to be more expensive. And while I did say it isn't exactly like the DS, the DS still does contain some innovation, and as far as I'm concerned, just about all of those innovations and more have been brought to the Wii U through the console/Gamepad setup.

Nintendo has the best exclusives. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin... its exclusives are better than Sony's and Microsoft's, so you can't really complain there. That's not even mentioning Smash Bros, or the potential of Donkey Kong.

I'm fine with Nintendo trying to innovate these old franchises. It takes too much money, experiments, etc to come up with new franchises all the time. Nintendo doesn't need to lose any more money than they already are.

B)

Edited by PotatoHog, 09 December 2012 - 10:09 PM.

#13 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

So the solution to loosing money is invest in the same things. That is bizzare logic.... Also i'm not saying they haven't innovated in the past, i'm syaing the wiiU is not really innovative. Rather it has taking there past innovations and putting it in a home console (which I am fine with, I don't need gimmickry like the wii mote forced into games it has no place in). As for playing games on the gamepad, sony beat them to it. It is true very few games support it though using the vita/ps3, but it has been done already.

As for who has the best exclusives that is personal preference, I would say both PC and Sony have had better exclusives in recent years.

What I want Nintendo to focus on is great games, descent 3rd party support and of course I would like some new nintendo IP's.

Edited by PedanticGamer, 09 December 2012 - 10:20 PM.

#14 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

So the solution to loosing money is invest in the same things. That is bizzare logic.... Also i'm not saying they haven't innovated in the past, i'm syaing the wiiU is not really innovative. Rather it has taking there past innovations and putting it in a home console (which I am fine with, I don't need gimmickry like the wii mote forced into games it has no place in). As for playing games on the gamepad, sony beat them to it. It is true very few games support it though using the vita/ps3, but it has been done already.

As for who has the best exclusives that is personal preference, I would say both PC and Sony have had better exclusives in recent years.

What I want Nintendo to focus on is great games, descent 3rd party support and of course I would like some new nintendo IP's.

We'll still have to wait awhile to see what Microsoft and Sony can do. Right now, I think that the Wii U is better than the 360 and the PS3. It's like one of them but with a Gamepad. Add to that that the Wii U is using ports and small first party games in comparison to what they could do, right now, and the Wii U should improve. So it will take something significantly, significantly better than the 360 and PS3 to beat the Wii U.

B)

#15 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

In the vote when you say "wins" does that mean raw sales numbers? or wins as in which is the better console?

#16 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

We will see what happens. Rumors are "RUMORS" for a reason.

Edited by GAMER1984, 09 December 2012 - 11:04 PM.

#17 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:49 PM

We'll still have to wait awhile to see what Microsoft and Sony can do. Right now, I think that the Wii U is better than the 360 and the PS3. It's like one of them but with a Gamepad. Add to that that the Wii U is using ports and small first party games in comparison to what they could do, right now, and the Wii U should improve. So it will take something significantly, significantly better than the 360 and PS3 to beat the Wii U.

B)

We shall see, the wiiU has yet to show anything that begins to compete on a graphic level with something Like Killzone 2 and 3 or the Uncharted series. One thing is certain though as long as Nintendo release good first party games and have descent 3rd party support that doesn't vanish, then I shall be happy. If I only wanted the best and was only concerned with that then pc would win evertime, no console in the current forms will ever be able to compete with a pc in its current form as there is nothing a console can do that a pc is not capable of doing better.

Edited by PedanticGamer, 09 December 2012 - 11:50 PM.

#18 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

We shall see, the wiiU has yet to show anything that begins to compete on a graphic level with something Like Killzone 2 and 3 or the Uncharted series. One thing is certain though as long as Nintendo release good first party games and have descent 3rd party support that doesn't vanish, then I shall be happy. If I only wanted the best and was only concerned with that then pc would win evertime, no console in the current forms will ever be able to compete with a pc in its current form as there is nothing a console can do that a pc is not capable of doing better.

And I own a powerful computer. We can talk this subject through pm if you want, and I'll tell you what I think of the computer and how it relates to this. But PCs seems to be getting offtopic for this thread, so I think I'll stop the discussion here.

B)

#19 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:50 AM

If this was to be taken as truth then why the hell is SONY still trying to play around with 3D vision? It's failing in the market right now and doesn't look like as if the public has any interest in it. And it seems as though the main reason is the glasses.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#20 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

In the vote when you say "wins" does that mean raw sales numbers? or wins as in which is the better console?

Sorry for the confusion. It means you want it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wii U, PS4, Omni, Xbox 360, Xbox 70

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!