Photo

Great budget surround setup I found for us optical guys :)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 9646gt

9646gt

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Yeah we are all mad because there is no optical out for our old 5.1 surround systems. BUT I have ordered this and I think it's a great deal for any of you with a little extra money to spend to get a system with 4 HDMI inputs and be able to keep enjoying surround sound :) http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i00 I was going to just buy a new receiver but almost every single one was the wrong ohm rating to work with my speakers and my subwoofer is passive so no upgrading :(

#2 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

check the negative comments down bellow the product... always read user comments before you buy.

#3 Varg

Varg

Spiny

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • Fandom:
    FInal Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Zelda

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

Pretty solid reviews all around. Your always going to have people with D.O.A units and negative comments due to just be human in nature. Thanks for the link OP.

Edited by Varg, 10 December 2012 - 09:51 AM.

#4 9646gt

9646gt

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Pretty solid reviews all around. Your always going to have people with D.O.A units and negative comments due to just be human in nature. Thanks for the link OP.

^^^ This :) I always go off the overall review and have always had good luck doing so. My current system had some negative reviews but I knew with it being a Sony they would stand behind it and it has worked flawlessly for over 5 years :) My Dad also has an Onkyo system and has bene using it for about 12 years lol. Zero issues with it. The overall review is good and the freeshipping and tax free means it was 249 out the door :) The sub isn't as powerful as my current one but I am sure it will do lol.

#5 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

most of the bad reviews just seem like the people dont know how to set it up correctly...

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#6 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

That seems like a pretty good deal. I can vouch for Onkyo as a brand as I'm on my second Onkyo surround sound amp having upgraded from the previous one. The one I have is a mid range separate surround sound amp - the Onkyo TX-NR609 and Energy 5.1 speakers to go with it. The only consumer level brand better then Onkyo is Denon. Onkyo products offer pretty good value for money. This model is pretty good for those on a budget who want HDMI capability and offers a lot of features for the money.

#7 9646gt

9646gt

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Glad to hear your results Boo :) Can;t wait till it gets here. It will be all set up waiting on the Wii u that the wife refuses to give me till Christmas lol. This is one 28 year old who will be doing some serious Wii u gaming in his Super Mario World PJs! Sadly I have to go to a Christmas dinner that day so I will let it update then haha.

#8 Repsys7

Repsys7

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

Just say I'm going to buy a whole surround system, what specs would it need to have to be compatible with my wii u?

#9 9646gt

9646gt

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

It needs to have hdmi input and also support lpcm surround sound. I pretty much any re end system with multiple hdmi inputs will provide what you need. I highly suggest going with the one I have linked to. I spent most the day researching and it is the best bang for the buck I could find myself at 249 shipped. I found multiple different systems but almost anything cheaper does not have hdmi inputs.

#10 RolledUp20s

RolledUp20s

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:48 AM

I just bought a Panasonic soundbar
: Panasonic SC-HTB520 2.1-CH home theater speaker system :
It's better than 5.1 systems I've had..it's not 'surround sound' but it has a 3D mode which delivers the sound in a way that bounces around..really good. With the sub aswel, it's like your sat in the cinema.. Playing black ops with this cranked up is ridiculously awesome :D -

#11 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:03 AM

Personally I have http://www.richersou...0/sony-strdh820 but I have to admit, it would have been a more expensive option if I hadn't already gotten speakers and an active subwoofer from my previous system.

As for speakers though, its not unusual for people to run 6ohm speakers on an 8ohm system. In fact, its what I have to do as for some weird reason most surround receivers are rated at 8ohm but most speakers are rated as 6ohm. Unless you are running the system flat out, the difference is not going to be a problem as the nature of speakers means they aren't a set ohm rating anyway - the quoted rating I believe is just the nominal resistance. (running 4ohm on an 8ohm system is likely a bad idea though)

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#12 Brumfc4life

Brumfc4life

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

I have a smiliar system to this one by onkyo as well and cant complain.
Username brumfc4life

#13 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

Personally I have http://www.richersou...0/sony-strdh820 but I have to admit, it would have been a more expensive option if I hadn't already gotten speakers and an active subwoofer from my previous system.
As for speakers though, its not unusual for people to run 6ohm speakers on an 8ohm system. In fact, its what I have to do as for some weird reason most surround receivers are rated at 8ohm but most speakers are rated as 6ohm. Unless you are running the system flat out, the difference is not going to be a problem as the nature of speakers means they aren't a set ohm rating anyway - the quoted rating I believe is just the nominal resistance. (running 4ohm on an 8ohm system is likely a bad idea though)

Personally I don't rate Sony surround sound amps. They're OK but not in the same leagues as Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha. Onkyo and Denon models typically get the best reviews both professional and consumer level.

#14 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

I worked as a car/home audio installer for a few years as well as studied sound engineering. And for home audio at decent prices you cant really beat Onkyo in my opinion. Denon use to be really good but have gone down hill a little in the past 5 years or so, Not saying they are bad but they have dropped the ball slightly.

Edited by cannonshane, 11 December 2012 - 02:12 PM.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#15 9646gt

9646gt

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:58 AM

Glad to hear you guys approve :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!