Photo

New PS4 rumors - No PS3 disc based backwards compatibility, anti-used games, etc

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:45 AM

This rumor is saying:

- Due to the completely different hardware being used compared to PS3 and how difficult it is to emulate PS3, it's not very likely the system will have disc based or digital download based backwards through PSN. Rather, they are saying backwards compatibility for PS3 games will be done through a cloud gaming service. Obviously, the cloud gaming service will have a subscription fee. The cloud gaming service will also most likely offer PS1 and PS2 titles although it is expected that PS1 and PS2 titles will most likely still be available for purchase on PSN.

- From the article:

<i>Once you've bought a disc, you'll need to register it to a single online PSN account, rumors suggest. After this, you can copy the game to your HDD (and download a digital version, if you sell or damage the disc). Locking games to an account is already used by Steam on PC. PS4 may not be always online - you might just need to connect to register a Blu-ray.

What will happen to your Blu-rays? It's possible you'll be able to trade them, but they'll be of limited use to second hand buyers - perhaps functioning as 'locked' demos. Imagine an extreme version of EA's Online Pass on PS3, where you'd need to pay a hefty fee to 'reactivate' a used game. This wouldn't kill the used game market entirely, and keep major retailers like US store Gamestop - which makes a huge percentage of its profits through used games (47% in 2011) - nominally onside; preventing a potentially dangerous 'protest' refusal to sell PS4s.</i>

- Sony could offer a subsidized version of the system where you have to sign a contract along with a Playstation Plus Subscription to get the system at a much lower price

- The system will have 16GB of internal flash memory that will be used specifically for system updates and the operating system

- The system will most likely not be able to run games at 4096 x 2160 resolution. 1080p will most likely remain the standard for games.

- The controller will have a camera on it

- The system may have a function where a game will stop(gives you a warning before it does) and an advertisement will be played. This is something Sony patented and is obviously experimenting with. It doesn't mean that Sony will actually implement the feature.

- The system will use a AMD quad-core CPU clocked at 3.2GHZ and it will have a GPU based on the Radeon 7970

- The basic model will have a 320GB hard drive

- Games are already being developed for the system and the system might come out next year</quote>

source:http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/213-nonstop-gaming-general/64905072
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/383330/ps4-psm3-investigates-15-features-of-the-next-playstation-4/

Yikes.

No bc and anti-used game policies? That seems like a bad move, Sony. Retailers like Gamestop make a profit off used games, so I don't see them carrying the PS4 if this happens. Also ads during games? That's just low.

Hopefully these just turn out to be rumors.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

I propose an official "Next-Gen rumours" thread. If we dont have one i can see this becoming as irritating as the specs threads.

#3 angelo07stang

angelo07stang

Boo

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Metroid, mariokart

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

why do people care so much about playing back words compatable just play ps3 games on your ps3 . When a new system comes out the last thing i want to do is play games from the last gen.
Posted Image

#4 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

why do people care so much about playing back words compatable just play ps3 games on your ps3 . When a new system comes out the last thing i want to do is play games from the last gen.

Because not everyone thinks that way. I just keep my old systems to replay though.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#5 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

Its just a lot more convenient.

#6 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

I propose an official "Next-Gen rumours" thread. If we dont have one i can see this becoming as irritating as the specs threads.

This could have been posted in my thread, since it also covers technical discussions.

#7 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

This could have been posted in my thread, since it also covers technical discussions.

it's much worthy of it's own thread, it'll just get lost in discussion.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#8 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

That's a bit of a narrow mindset. When a new system comes out, games from the previous system are still released until about a year later.. because that is when an actual library begins to form for the new system. When the 3DS came out, did you cease to play all DS games? Are you never going to touch a Wii game again? Also, it's also a convenience of space for most people (myself included). Not everyone has this luxury.

--x--

On topic... this is such a turn off it hurts.. then again, the Wii U had anti-used games rumors as well... Lots of rumors were quickly debunked when time came closer to launch. I'm sincerely hoping that's what happens here...

Edited by Noonabites, 13 December 2012 - 09:47 AM.

#9 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

- The system will use a AMD quad-core CPU clocked at 3.2GHZ and it will have a GPU based on the Radeon 7970

Alright techguys, how much better is this than the Wii U most likely? Does Radeon 7970 mean that it's better than Wii U's 6760?
No sig.

#10 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Alright techguys, how much better is this than the Wii U most likely? Does Radeon 7970 mean that it's better than Wii U's 6760?

7970 is superior. I don't really believe these rumors though.

#11 Pinstripe

Pinstripe

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

The HD 7970 is a bit overkill. That thing needs a huge (loud) cooler and sucks a lot of power.

Doesn't matter. The SteamBox is gonna destroy them all.

#12 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

If it were true it would be a fair stomping.

But its likely not true, the a10 rumour is pretty well.supported.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#13 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

That gpu is $400+ No way Sony will, or can release another $600 machine.

And a camera in the controller? Seems pointless without a screen.

I think these are bs rumors. The rest we've heard before.

Edited by Goose, 13 December 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#14 SNES

SNES

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

People really need to get the idea that the Ps4 and 720 are going to be superpowered wonder machines out of their heads. They aren't going to be sporting 7k Radeons or 690+ Nvidias, i7 type processors, etc. One, Sony definitely can't afford it, and MS can't afford another generation of their gaming department not making much profit. Two, those types of components are not easily shrunk into a console unless you want another generation of overheating lights of death. Three, unless your development studio has serious financial backing, it will take several years before you see more than one or two games with super duper next gen graphics. It's not this generation of consoles holding back the next generation of graphics, it's the skyrocketing costs of making games.

Now, gadgets and gizmos? Absolutely. More emphasis on online with all sorts of marketing buzzword PR speak? Certainly. But consoles releasing in 2013/2014 with high end pc components and under 300 dollars? Not even remotely going to happen.

I'm almost positive they will both be more powerful than the Wii U, but it will be hard to tell for the most part, and unless you're an extreme AV enthusiast, you're probably not going to notice until someone points it out.

#15 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

the 7970 gpu is a hoax... stop reading these things... 7970 gpu costs 500$ and it cannot fit in a small box, due to lots of heat from that chipset... you need a desktop pc with huge coolers to maintain it!! Even if sony decrease its power 50% is going to be extreme for a console to handle, more like 10x from wii U... And its stupid.

Its logical that ps4 will not be backwrds capable machine, because is the first generation of consoles, based on a x86 cpu!!! Like the pc is...

Edited by Orion, 13 December 2012 - 11:14 AM.

#16 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

People really need to get the idea that the Ps4 and 720 are going to be superpowered wonder machines out of their heads. They aren't going to be sporting 7k Radeons or 690+ Nvidias, i7 type processors, etc.

Everyone on NeoGaf seems to think so. I can't wait for the meltdowns on that site...

#17 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

The processor may be true but no way that's the gpu sony won't be able to take a loss like that

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#18 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

Everyone on NeoGaf seems to think so. I can't wait for the meltdowns on that site...

NeoGAF is extremely bias against Nintendo and filled with Microsoft and Sony drones. It'll be hilarious seeing them meltdown when we find out the 720/PS4 are on par with a mid-2011 PC.

#19 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Let's assume for a second that these rumors are true. The Radeon 7970 might get toned down to become a console chip, but toned down, I figure it would still be about 4x as powerful as the Wii U's GPU probably. Given the specs, the Playstation Omni would probably end up being 3-4x as powerful as the Wii U. It will be something if the XBox 720 is even more powerful. Also, a 3-4x difference over the Wii U will be remarkable, but not as much as the difference between the Wii and the 360/PS3.

Edited by PotatoHog, 13 December 2012 - 03:17 PM.

#20 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

If this is true I lol at PS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!