Half

Blooper

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • NNID:HalfName
  • Fandom:
    Curse all fanboys/girls.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

The quote button is busted for some people since they made changes to the site.  Graphics came into it because one person working on a homebrew game isn't going to have the resources, time, or expertise to deliver really good visuals, he was saying that yes, it is pretty low quality in terms of production value (you referred to them as flash games) and gave you the reason for that.

Also, "jailbreaking" devices is not illegal so long as the method is not used for financial gain and the access doesn't lead to a sub market.  If Mojang decides to make the game open source, it is perfectly legal for someone to release the game on any platform they like, but would be required to license the game under open source rules themselves, and could not sell it for a profit.  They can sell support and I'm not sure but they may be able to charge to recoup costs of development.

Ah, I see, I actually thought it might be because he switched to a tablet or mobile device, since they don't seem to be able to quote posts, at least for me. I don't mean to sound rude with the whole flash game thing, but he was being rude, and I was typing quick and to the point, yada yada, what I really meant was... it's hard to explain, flash games can be good, they're good time wasters, sometimes they're deep, well thought and take time to develop, but then there's reskins of older games (tetris, arkanoid, etc etc) and ones that just... well, they're not good. I know there's good homebrew games, I never said all homebrew games are bad.

They're halfway, in some countries they're illegal, some they're not, like for an example, installing a "chip" to a console over here is illegal, messing with the insides or installing software is just a warranty breach. As for using it just for homebrew... it's still the same actually. But what I gathered is, if you don't ask, but port someone's game to another console, for free to play, is kind-of illegal, I mean, it's certainly not legal. I know if they release it as open-source, it's essentially free for people to use, modify or other such things, as long as no profit is made, but that hasn't happened (yet hopefully)

I'm all for homebrew, but most of the time, it's not too... good? Benificial? IDK. Either way, most homebrew is either bad, available easily on PC, or not worth it to void free repairs. I suppose the worth of games is opinionated, but for me (and I imagine most people) it's not worth the risk.

Sorry for getting kinda pissed at him, I don't like arguing, even though it doesn't seem like it, since I've already started a few on these forums, at this rate I'm not gonna make any friends. xD

FmEkJ2.gif

#42 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Ah, I see, I actually thought it might be because he switched to a tablet or mobile device, since they don't seem to be able to quote posts, at least for me. I don't mean to sound rude with the whole flash game thing, but he was being rude, and I was typing quick and to the point, yada yada, what I really meant was... it's hard to explain, flash games can be good, they're good time wasters, sometimes they're deep, well thought and take time to develop, but then there's reskins of older games (tetris, arkanoid, etc etc) and ones that just... well, they're not good. I know there's good homebrew games, I never said all homebrew games are bad.

They're halfway, in some countries they're illegal, some they're not, like for an example, installing a "chip" to a console over here is illegal, messing with the insides or installing software is just a warranty breach. As for using it just for homebrew... it's still the same actually. But what I gathered is, if you don't ask, but port someone's game to another console, for free to play, is kind-of illegal, I mean, it's certainly not legal. I know if they release it as open-source, it's essentially free for people to use, modify or other such things, as long as no profit is made, but that hasn't happened (yet hopefully)

I'm all for homebrew, but most of the time, it's not too... good? Benificial? IDK. Either way, most homebrew is either bad, available easily on PC, or not worth it to void free repairs. I suppose the worth of games is opinionated, but for me (and I imagine most people) it's not worth the risk.

Sorry for getting kinda revel in the beautiful sunshineed at him, I don't like arguing, even though it doesn't seem like it, since I've already started a few on these forums, at this rate I'm not gonna make any friends. xD

I can't claim expertise on the law tied to homebrew, I simply have never done the research.

As far as creating a homebrew version of minecraft, so long as it is open source, they'd be in the clear.  Even if it is not opensource, they can recreate a similar experience so long as it doesn't use any of the original assets, IIRC.  Also it can't be called a reskin if the assets are all original, no matter how similar they look to other games.

I can't say whether you like arguing, but there is no problem with being opinionated, so long as you do your research and bring your A game ;)

#43 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

Marios name and likeness is trademarked, and although mario wars does hilariously feature nintendo characters, it has nothing to do with any actual gameplay of any mario game ever, and is a far, FAR cry from doing a sprite mod of super mario bros and trying to sell it like you have described. Its original game content, and as such, its a tributary or homage in the form of a parody, creatively using licensed material for free, in a non threatening manner, and falls under the rules of fair use and... as Nintendo has deigned not to send a cease and desist... Is legal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Oh, that scenario you made up was actually done. It was called the super giana sisters. Anyways, while all the other content i posted that is not completely original, is open source now (Most has been for a very, very, long time) and legal to use.

Since most shareware/homebrew/creators in general arent frothing at the bit for something/someone to blindly generalize/demonize and hate like you, they tend to release their source code to the open source because they like to see what other people can do with it. Its a lot more fun than playing your own game you know everything about because you made it.

Something Notch will be doing very soon for commercial minecraft actually. (all his previous works are already completely released to open source).

Edited by 3Dude, 18 April 2013 - 08:13 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#44 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

The characters are kinda ripoffs but the games are original.

#45 Kirby

Kirby

Blooper

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Fandom:
    Minecraft Nintendo

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:37 AM

The reason why xbox360 has mc is because xbox is microsoft.

kirby_a_GIFSoupcom.gif

#46 Half

Half

Blooper

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • NNID:HalfName
  • Fandom:
    Curse all fanboys/girls.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

Marios name and likeness is trademarked, and although mario wars does hilariously feature nintendo characters, it has nothing to do with any actual gameplay of any mario game ever, and is a far, FAR cry from doing a sprite mod of super mario bros and trying to sell it like you have described. Its original game content, and as such, its a tributary or homage in the form of a parody, creatively using licensed material for free, in a non threatening manner, and falls under the rules of fair use and... as Nintendo has deigned not to send a cease and desist... Is legal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Oh, that scenario you made up was actually done. It was called the super giana sisters. Anyways, while all the other content i posted that is not completely original, is open source now (Most has been for a very, very, long time) and legal to use.

Since most shareware/homebrew/creators in general arent frothing at the bit for something/someone to blindly generalize/demonize and hate like you, they tend to release their source code to the open source because they like to see what other people can do with it. Its a lot more fun than playing your own game you know everything about because you made it.

Something Notch will be doing very soon for commercial minecraft actually. (all his previous works are already completely released to open source).

*sigh* That's 1 game, 1 and yes, I know there's more original games like that. I was talking about the games like the tetris clone, the bomberman clone, stuff like that, that aren't original concepts. I'm pretty sure I never said the games were illegal, but either way, I had the legal bit wrong anyway. I think EVERYONE knows about giana sisters, and that's all well and good but they're still games that are clones, I mean, there's not alot of things you can do with Tetris to make it "different" from the original.

But he hasn't done it yet, that's my point.

We disagree, can that be it? Because I'm really bored with this.

Edited by Half, 19 April 2013 - 08:18 AM.

FmEkJ2.gif

#47 Omarsonic9

Omarsonic9

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Err, forgive me if I'm incorrect, but doesn't Microsoft basically own any rights to Minecraft on consoles? That is, if they own the development team (their name slips my mind, sorry) that codes everything over for consoles, they may as well own the rights to the game (console-wise). So even if Mojang went ahead and made a "Minecraft Wii U Edition" it would mean nothing. They'd need an entire new development team.

Again, I'm not sure if Microsoft own the company or not, but I'd imagine they have some form of legal exclusivity to bind the developers since Minecraft is big bucks you wouldn't want to let go of.

However something worth noting is that since patching on Wii U is said to be so easy the game would fit quite nicely. I'm not against the idea because of what the Wii U could do for Minecraft, I'm just not convinced that it's possible, is all. It'd be pretty sweet playing "portable" Minecraft!

There's an agreement. Once the agreement is done, Mojang can make Minecraft for other consoles, I think.

sig.gif

#48 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

Aside from the title, I honestly have no idea what this thread is about. I can't tell if it's about trying to get Minecraft on the Wii U, whether hacks/homebrew are bad, and whether some dude is a jerk or not.

Seriously, people, get this thing back on topic. 

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#49 joiemoie

joiemoie

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Problem is that all my PC elitist friends say wii u sucks because "It's a consololol and the wii sucked" and none of my friends in general have a wii u. And I mostly want to play minecraft with friends. Although I do think that 5 player minecraft split-screen and wii u specific features like the inventory on the gamepad would he awesome.

#50 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

Problem is that all my PC elitist friends say wii u sucks because "It's a consololol and the wii sucked" and none of my friends in general have a wii u. And I mostly want to play minecraft with friends. Although I do think that 5 player minecraft split-screen and wii u specific features like the inventory on the gamepad would he awesome.

Let them play it a little, if they still don't  like it, play minecraft on PC.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wii u games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!