• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Hale

Hale

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

This isn't a rant nor anything along those lines, I just wish to express my experience with the console and hear other's opinions.

I enjoyed my wii u for the first few days, I will not deny it. The gamepad was pretty cool, and the system seemed to work nicely. However, this enjoyment slowly faded day by day, and this is why:

1) Gamepad: Maybe it was just me, but I found it to be more of a hassle to use more than anything else. For instance, when playing COD, I literally never used it to view the entire map. It's just too difficult in gameplay to look down at a screen. The only benefit of this was playing in bed, which I did enjoy.

2) Bland interface: Granted this can get updated over time, it just seemed really boring, even for a new release. I was expecting more customizing with your mii's, something more along the lines of 360, to really give a personal feel to the console and enhance the community.

3) ***Too many controllers: This was probably the overriding factor for my return. I couldn't stand the fact that different games use different controllers. If any of you are like me, I strongly disliked the wii mote and anything that had to do with the old wii system. What I wanted out of it was mainly to use a more gamer controller, i.e. the newly released pro controller, and was super excited Nintendo was making one. The issue I kept running into, however, was that certain games required this controller, certain games required this attachment, blah blah. This made me incredibly frustrated. I found it completely unacceptable that their new pro controller was not fully supported by all the new wii u games when it could have been. I feared a future where this issue would repeatedly come about, forcing me to always switch controllers and never really get used to one.

Even in a world where it was only the gamepad and wii u pro controller, I still would find it frustrating. Your hands don't adjust when jumping from the gamepad to the pro quick enough. For instance, playing cod on the gamepad I eventually got used to, but once I made the switch, it would take me a good game or two to get the feel for the smaller layout.

So, at the end of the day, I returned the wii u and picked up a 360. It gives me comfort that everyone can only use one type of controller, and it will work with everything out there. Not to mention, there's a huge mic issue with the wii u, where its only on the gamepad, which isn't an issue with the 360.

#2 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

LOVE MY Wii U!!!!!!!!!

#3 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

I can understand most of your points. But comparing it to the 360 is like apples to oranges, The 360 has had years to develop and is a completely different type of console. You sound more like a hardcore type gamer, Which is probably why you prefer the 360. Although nintento is slowly coming around to focus on the harcore audience as much as the casual gamer i feel for someone like you it was a "to little to late" scenario with the Wii u.

Edited by cannonshane, 17 December 2012 - 09:32 PM.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#4 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

OK then.

#5 nintendo3DS

nintendo3DS

Pokemon Master

• Members
  • 1,624 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, FF XIII trilogy

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

LOL, those are some pointless points to get rid of a Wii U. I'll be enjoying mine in a week!!! :D

#6 slammers

slammers

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

Good points if you ask me, you will definately enjoy your 360 more. Such a huge catalog of games.

#7 ChrisD

ChrisD

Nyah, see! Nyah!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Fandom:
    PCSoTendo. Because fanboyism is dumb.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

This isn't a rant nor anything along those lines, I just wish to express my experience with the console and hear other's opinions.

I enjoyed my wii u for the first few days, I will not deny it. The gamepad was pretty cool, and the system seemed to work nicely. However, this enjoyment slowly faded day by day, and this is why:

1) Gamepad: Maybe it was just me, but I found it to be more of a hassle to use more than anything else. For instance, when playing COD, I literally never used it to view the entire map. It's just too difficult in gameplay to look down at a screen. The only benefit of this was playing in bed, which I did enjoy.

2) Bland interface: Granted this can get updated over time, it just seemed really boring, even for a new release. I was expecting more customizing with your mii's, something more along the lines of 360, to really give a personal feel to the console and enhance the community.

3) ***Too many controllers: This was probably the overriding factor for my return. I couldn't stand the fact that different games use different controllers. If any of you are like me, I strongly disliked the wii mote and anything that had to do with the old wii system. What I wanted out of it was mainly to use a more gamer controller, i.e. the newly released pro controller, and was super excited Nintendo was making one. The issue I kept running into, however, was that certain games required this controller, certain games required this attachment, blah blah. This made me incredibly frustrated. I found it completely unacceptable that their new pro controller was not fully supported by all the new wii u games when it could have been. I feared a future where this issue would repeatedly come about, forcing me to always switch controllers and never really get used to one.

Even in a world where it was only the gamepad and wii u pro controller, I still would find it frustrating. Your hands don't adjust when jumping from the gamepad to the pro quick enough. For instance, playing cod on the gamepad I eventually got used to, but once I made the switch, it would take me a good game or two to get the feel for the smaller layout.

So, at the end of the day, I returned the wii u and picked up a 360. It gives me comfort that everyone can only use one type of controller, and it will work with everything out there. Not to mention, there's a huge mic issue with the wii u, where its only on the gamepad, which isn't an issue with the 360.

1.) I must say that setting it up is a hassle for me, but that's because I'm a clean OCD freak and must was my hands very thoroughly before using it, lest I smudge and dirty the Gamepad. And yeah, looking down for a quick map isn't actually as handy as it was made to sound before the system launched. Finally, playing on the Gamepad is very handy be it on the couch while the TV is being used, or as you mentioned, in bed. This convenience is further driven home by just how surprisingly comfortable the Gamepad is. So for the most part, I definitely agree with you on these points.

2.) This I must respectfully disagree with however. It is bland in a sense, but it is also simple. I honestly get lost in the 360's menus because it's just so crowded. I still can't remember how to change backgrounds half the time, and don't even get me lying about how you move data. The Wii U's interface is very streamlined and this greatly enhances the experience of gaming in my opinion. The Miiverse is also a very clever idea. I'm not saying either of them are perfect however, and do hope that they update it a bit in the future. But I do not want the menus to ever become crowded.

As for your wish on more Mii customization, that would be nice to have. But having it like the 360's would not work quite as simply. The 360's works because they can charge you for the hundreds of clothes and whatnot. The Wii U's was built-in. And if it was as content-packed as the 360's Avatar section, I highly doubt anyone would want to browse through 20+ pages of noses for their Mii.

3.) Hrmm... I can definitely see the point here, but I also disagree to an extent. The only controller you really need for the Wii U is the Gamepad. You will never need anything else for a Wii U game. If you are delving into multiplayer like I'd presume most everyone would however, it does become an issue and that is lame a tad bit. Especially whenever you get into the peripherals of the original Wii. Oh goodness, the Wii Wheels, the Zappers, the Classic Controllers and Pros.. It really was overdone. But the point I'm trying to convey here is that you don't actually need any more controllers. You don't have to adapt to them unless you so choose.

(The original Wii-mote can either be painful to use, or the most comfortable controller ever depending on the game. Playing a game with your arms in a much more flexible position is quite nice with the Nunchuck - as long as you don't need motion controls.)

In the end though, I will say that I would not return the system. I don't enjoy it to it's fullest potential yet, but that's because it is premature and can't be. Once bigger games come out within even just next year alone I can see me greatly enjoying it. I completely understand the reasoning and motives behind selling yours though, and would not say you made a bad choice at all.

LOVE MY Wii U!!!!!!!!!

Good for you.

I can understand most of your points. But comparing it to the 360 is like apples to oranges, The 360 has had years to develop and is a completely different type of console. You sound more like a hardcore type gamer, Which is probably why you prefer the 360. Although nintento is slowly coming around to focus on the harcore audience as much as the casual gamer i feel for someone like you it was a "to little to late" scenario with the Wii u.

Eh, most of them are fair complaints. To simply call him a hardcore gamer because he has stated them is a tad senseless. By what definition of "Hardcore Gamer" are we talking? Because in my opinion a hardcore gamer is simply anyone who games a lot, and you can do that on you Wii, 360, PS3, or even PC. In my mind every single one is good for a hardcore gamer, because the term is silly and doesn't apply to any one system. What definition are you using to base your opinion of the 360 being a "hardcore" platform?

OK then.

"If you don't have anything to add to a discussion, don't make a post like "I don't know what to say" or something just to boost your post count," fits quite nicely here, wouldn't you say?

LOL, those are some pointless points to get rid of a Wii U. I'll be enjoying mine in a week!!! :D

I wouldn't say that they are pointless at all. In fact, they are almost all meaningful reasons. Sure I may disagree with them as a whole, but they are definitely good points.

Added:

Good points if you ask me, you will definately enjoy your 360 more. Such a huge catalog of games.

Definitely. The Wii U has simply not come to its potential yet. The 360 is prone to be more enjoyable with the multitude of games on it. Later on down the road, five years from now I'm sure the Wii U will be the same though. Launches are just not meant for those who can not wait for games haha.

Edited by ChrisD, 17 December 2012 - 10:46 PM.

#8 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

I can understand most of your points. But comparing it to the 360 is like apples to oranges, The 360 has had years to develop and is a completely different type of console.

Time to perfect & develop in what exactly? The original Xbox had Live, a chat-room (given it was like the PS3 in terms of being on the XMB), in-game chat, DLC (Though the store was sort of inside the game like Halo 2 did it), matchmaking, private gaming rooms, and a few other little things. Once the 360 came out you had all those features & some given tweaks. Considering Nintendo has been doing online multi-player through a Wi-Fi connection via Nintendo DS & a wired Ethernet adapter for the GameCube (Not all games, but some) you would think Nintendo could have changed some of these features at least in this area. Nope still the crappy internet ordeal.

If you're really into the whole avatar thing. Well Xbox 360 just did a one time thing adding it in the latest system. As far as Mii's go they have had plenty of time to change. Given you have them on the Wii, DSI/XL, 3DS/XL, and now Wii U. Many more chances through the lifespans of each device to do some tweaking in some areas to add more customizations at the bare minimum.

Controllers wise they really have not changed or refined anything. They are using the same button layout as the SNES controller (Not including the joysticks of course the two joysticks press in) other than the extra three buttons such as power, Controller, and the Home button. Which are not used in a game anyway. The days of their whole C-Pad and such are long gone so it appears. Instead they throw in motion controls to replace them and now a touch screen (home console wise).

Not saying the Wii U games or anything is horrible or the Wii U in general is complete garbage. Though if Nintendo wished to improve in said areas they have had plenty of leg room to work in. Heck, even if they could have even pulled in some new faces to help in the designing of the OS and/or other related software that can run inside said OS. Even could have got an outside source to come in and help. (Considering Nintendo has the money to do just that). Yet Nintendo lives in this world of old farts and/or ignorant people that do not really like much change. Instead it is add one feature and do little to no updates to wait for the next edition to hardware release another real small change in software.

Edited by UnholyVision, 17 December 2012 - 11:04 PM.

• CUD likes this

#9 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

If you read my first post again, I refered to him as being a more hardcore gamer, And the 360 has plenty of what i call "gamer gamer" things like Halo, Lost planet, Forza etc. What titles did the wii u really have at launch and up until now that would most likely please someone who is into those type of games ?

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#10 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

@cannonshane: :laugh: I understand what your telling him. (If you're talking to me as well) Though you stated, "The 360 had years to develop". My overall point was if Nintendo really wanted to, they could have been on the same page as the 360 or at least close enough. Yet instead they stuck back doing their same bogus nonsense trying to save almost every penny they could in software development.

Edit: I also do not think many hardcore gamers as you sort of stating, will consider Avatars on the 360 or PS3's Home a grand thing.

Edited by UnholyVision, 17 December 2012 - 11:47 PM.

#11 ChrisD

ChrisD

Nyah, see! Nyah!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Fandom:
    PCSoTendo. Because fanboyism is dumb.

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

Well, those are just what you said though, types of games. I'm not just trying to attack you, forgive me if it appears that way. Things just get annoying when the term "hardcore" is thrown around as there really is no such thing. Mature, yes. Hardcore, no. The Xbox has a lot more mature games than the Wii U, that I can definitely agree with. And they also have some things like, as you mentioned, Forza that simply don't exist on Wii U at this time.

To answer your question though, there aren't any, really. I did misunderstand what you meant when you said the term "hardcore," and for that, I'm sorry.

Edit: Ack, should have quoted you or did what the above user did. To avoid any confusion, that was directed towards cannonshane.

Edited by ChrisD, 17 December 2012 - 11:43 PM.

#12 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

Edit: Ack, should have quoted you or did what the above user did. To avoid any confusion, that was directed towards cannonshane.

Problem is Cannonshane should have done that. I figured he was sort of aiming it at me at first (being as he posted directly under me with no quote) then saw the game thing and no clue so, maybe both of us? Confusion started there, but what do I know it is a crazy hour and I am spending my tired times on here. ;)

Edited by UnholyVision, 17 December 2012 - 11:51 PM.

#13 x-SourApple-x

x-SourApple-x

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

This is a few of the same reasons I'm selling mine on. I know it's early days yet, but the console just isn't for me. I've played it like 3 times since I've had it, and I've had more fun doing drawing notes to friends and communities than playing any Wii U games :/
http://www.youtube.com/oswingaming
https://twitter.com/OswinGaming

I have sold my Wii U, so if I deleted you from NN before I sold it, or haven't accepted your friend request since, this is why.

#14 Mensrea

Mensrea

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid,Zelda ,Pikmin ,Resistance

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

One of your points that I am very concerned about as well is the looking down at the gamepad. I too have noticed that looking at the gamepad in cod for the map is essentially useless. It is difficult to get any benefit from it at all. It's funny though, because the only game that uses the gamepad well is ZombiU, and it works for the very reason that it's hard to look at the gamepad and back up at the screen without becoming disoriented. I hope that future titles use it in ways that work well.
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man

#15 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

It wasn't really directed at either of you, Was just more clarifying what i meant by "hardcore" and i agree with most of the post from both of you, What i should have said was "The Xbox already has a lot of quality titles available, Where as with the Wii U its more of a waiting game to see how it pans out." Some people just dont like waiting and want a heap of titles at their disposal straight away. That's just my opinion on why the OP probably enjoys the 360 more.

Edited by cannonshane, 18 December 2012 - 12:17 AM.

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#16 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

POPULAR

Don't really care give it a few months and it will be you regreting the decision :D

#17 Expansion Pak

Expansion Pak

Enlightened Fanboy

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • NNID:Koopamann14
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon the Series: XY and PS4

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:18 AM

The 360 had 6 years to prove itself. The Wii U had a month.

I shower you with coconut cream pies.

#18 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:14 AM

It's unfair to compare the 360 which is technically a last generation console and been out for 6 years to the Wii U which is technically a current generation console and been out a month. That said Nintendo continues to be set in its stubborn ways when it comes to the online experience as well as the overall user experience including the UI. Choosing to support so many different controllers is also a bad idea.

The only controllers that should be supported in the Wii U's native mode is the Gamepad and pro controller and all games should really be designed to work with both. As for Wii controllers like the remotes, Nunchuk, and classic controller/classic controller pro they should only be needed if you want to play Wii games.

Personally for me I know what to expect from Nintendo and I realise that the experience they can give me isn't going to be the same as what Microsoft and Sony can do. I'm fortunate however to be able to own all the consoles with my Nintendo consoles used primarily for first party and third party exclusive games. I certainly have no regrets buying the Wii U as I knew what I was getting into.

#19 TomBollandLTD

TomBollandLTD

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokémon Mario Link

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:09 AM

1.) I must say that setting it up is a hassle for me, but that's because I'm a clean OCD freak and must was my hands very thoroughly before using it, lest I smudge and dirty the Gamepad. And yeah, looking down for a quick map isn't actually as handy as it was made to sound before the system launched. Finally, playing on the Gamepad is very handy be it on the couch while the TV is being used, or as you mentioned, in bed. This convenience is further driven home by just how surprisingly comfortable the Gamepad is. So for the most part, I definitely agree with you on these points.

2.) This I must respectfully disagree with however. It is bland in a sense, but it is also simple. I honestly get lost in the 360's menus because it's just so crowded. I still can't remember how to change backgrounds half the time, and don't even get me lying about how you move data. The Wii U's interface is very streamlined and this greatly enhances the experience of gaming in my opinion. The Miiverse is also a very clever idea. I'm not saying either of them are perfect however, and do hope that they update it a bit in the future. But I do not want the menus to ever become crowded.

As for your wish on more Mii customization, that would be nice to have. But having it like the 360's would not work quite as simply. The 360's works because they can charge you for the hundreds of clothes and whatnot. The Wii U's was built-in. And if it was as content-packed as the 360's Avatar section, I highly doubt anyone would want to browse through 20+ pages of noses for their Mii.

3.) Hrmm... I can definitely see the point here, but I also disagree to an extent. The only controller you really need for the Wii U is the Gamepad. You will never need anything else for a Wii U game. If you are delving into multiplayer like I'd presume most everyone would however, it does become an issue and that is lame a tad bit. Especially whenever you get into the peripherals of the original Wii. Oh goodness, the Wii Wheels, the Zappers, the Classic Controllers and Pros.. It really was overdone. But the point I'm trying to convey here is that you don't actually need any more controllers. You don't have to adapt to them unless you so choose.

(The original Wii-mote can either be painful to use, or the most comfortable controller ever depending on the game. Playing a game with your arms in a much more flexible position is quite nice with the Nunchuck - as long as you don't need motion controls.)

In the end though, I will say that I would not return the system. I don't enjoy it to it's fullest potential yet, but that's because it is premature and can't be. Once bigger games come out within even just next year alone I can see me greatly enjoying it. I completely understand the reasoning and motives behind selling yours though, and would not say you made a bad choice at all.

Good for you.

Eh, most of them are fair complaints. To simply call him a hardcore gamer because he has stated them is a tad senseless. By what definition of "Hardcore Gamer" are we talking? Because in my opinion a hardcore gamer is simply anyone who games a lot, and you can do that on you Wii, 360, PS3, or even PC. In my mind every single one is good for a hardcore gamer, because the term is silly and doesn't apply to any one system. What definition are you using to base your opinion of the 360 being a "hardcore" platform?

"If you don't have anything to add to a discussion, don't make a post like "I don't know what to say" or something just to boost your post count," fits quite nicely here, wouldn't you say?

I wouldn't say that they are pointless at all. In fact, they are almost all meaningful reasons. Sure I may disagree with them as a whole, but they are definitely good points.

Added:

Definitely. The Wii U has simply not come to its potential yet. The 360 is prone to be more enjoyable with the multitude of games on it. Later on down the road, five years from now I'm sure the Wii U will be the same though. Launches are just not meant for those who can not wait for games haha.

I still can't get over how much I love sensible and reasonable answers to sensible, reasonable gripes. I should probably thank the hurrduhh wiiu is rubbish internet briggade because when a nice discussion happens, it feels all the more better (:
3DS Friend Code: 0087-2466-1970
NNID : TomBollandLTD

need. more. online. games.

#20 mjjferreira

mjjferreira

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

Oki doki.

Good luck for your next gaming plataform.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!