Photo

Wii U could more than double power consumption?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 out2win

out2win

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

Can´t nintendo do the same thing ms did whit xb360? hide the real power. If u remember the 360 didn´t have 1080P, when released. When the ps3 came ms did a firmware upd to 360

#42 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

Its not underclocked there has never been a 750 family clocked as high as the wii u cpu, and there has never been a 4 stage pipeline clocked at 2Ghz.

If there was there would be no such thing as icore and wed still have power macs.

Yeah I have to question that also 3dude. Its this guy name wisppel on Neogaf and beyond3d. He claims the same thing you have. But if we know this CPU is doing things the 750 line has never done why couldn't they have found a way to clock higher now? If its already running higher than any ever has(cloclk speed) who's to say it can run even higher?

#43 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

Does it really matter how much power the Wii U consumes ?

#44 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

That's what kills me... This expresso CPU seems to be leagues ahead of the 750 line yet people are still trying to cast it of as broadway more cache or modified broadways. I say this CPU is something very new like IBM said in their press release but it borrows little things from 750 line just to make it BC. I always go back to this quote.

"Actually, a lot of the CPU and GPU designers this time have been working with us since development of Wii—which is a plus. They really like our products. Iwata Especially since the Wii U had to be backwards compatible with Wii. Shiota Yes. The designers were already incredibly familiar with the Wii, so without getting hung up on the two machines' completely different structures, they came up with ideas we would never have thought of. There were times when you would usually just incorporate both the Wii U and Wii circuits, like 1+1. But instead of just adding like that, they adjusted the "NEW" parts added to Wii U so they could be used for Wii as well.

This quote should be an eye opener. The CPU in the Wii U is "NEW" they just jhad knowledgable people you adjusted some parts maybe cache or something to make it BC with Wii. I think nintendo has made a HELL of a console and a couple years from now people are gonna be amazed when they see what its capable of doing.

Does it really matter how much power the Wii U consumes ?

Yes this console is a beast in its design. It can be played for hours on in without overheating. If people read the iwata ask on the console they did heat stress test by leaving the console on for days at a time. It only outputs like 35W its incredible the genius in this console design.

Also will leave this nugget from the iwata ask.

"So I myself have been happy to see how far game consoles have come. I hope people will be impressed by the types of software enabled by the CPU
It turned out to be a CPU without any strange habits—one that runs just the way you expect".

#45 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

I don't think nintendo would overclock it even if they could since they made the system for the japanese audience that are in to energy efficenty and overclocking it would go against that.

That's what kills me... This expresso CPU seems to be leagues ahead of the 750 line yet people are still trying to cast it of as broadway more cache or modified broadways. I say this CPU is something very new like IBM said in their press release but it borrows little things from 750 line just to make it BC. I always go back to this quote.

"Actually, a lot of the CPU and GPU designers this time have been working with us since development of Wii—which is a plus. They really like our products. Iwata Especially since the Wii U had to be backwards compatible with Wii. Shiota Yes. The designers were already incredibly familiar with the Wii, so without getting hung up on the two machines' completely different structures, they came up with ideas we would never have thought of. There were times when you would usually just incorporate both the Wii U and Wii circuits, like 1+1. But instead of just adding like that, they adjusted the "NEW" parts added to Wii U so they could be used for Wii as well.

This quote should be an eye opener. The CPU in the Wii U is "NEW" they just jhad knowledgable people you adjusted some parts maybe cache or something to make it BC with Wii. I think nintendo has made a HELL of a console and a couple years from now people are gonna be amazed when they see what its capable of doing.

Yes this console is a beast in its design. It can be played for hours on in without overheating. If people read the iwata ask on the console they did heat stress test by leaving the console on for days at a time. It only outputs like 35W its incredible the genius in this console design.

"So I myself have been happy to see how far game consoles have come. I hope people will be impressed by the types of software enabled by the CPU
It turned out to be a CPU without any strange habits—one that runs just the way you expect".

These quotes mostly the last one always bugs me because it goes against all other information of the wii U cpu.

Normally in cases like this I could dismiss it for just marketing but Iwata isn't Reggie, Iwata actually knows technology and doesn't just spurt out nonsensical marketing talk like Reggie not to mention even though you could think of Iwata ask as Marketing its really only read by fans of Nintendo themselves so its not something the public reads that needs to be lied to, to get them to buy something.
It could be that Iwata was talking about the system compared to the wii and not to other consoles and that why he is so impressed by it or it could be even though really unlikely marketing talk.

It bugs me so, I wish I could trust Iwata on this but when it goes against other sources it brings me down and recent Nintendo endeavors such as the wii has made me weary .

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 30 December 2012 - 03:35 PM.

#46 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

Yeah I have to question that also 3dude. Its this guy name wisppel on Neogaf and beyond3d. He claims the same thing you have. But if we know this CPU is doing things the 750 line has never done why couldn't they have found a way to clock higher now? If its already running higher than any ever has(cloclk speed) who's to say it can run even higher?

If you could simply just increase the clock speed of a 4 stage pipeline architecture like the 750 family the computer landscape we know today would be COMPLETELY different.

I-core wouldnt exist, there would be no i-7 intel would be doing miserable, ibm and apple would still be making high performance low power g family cpu's owning the consumer computer market, the g4 and 5 wouldnt have been complete garbage causing apple to leave ibm for intel, we would be light years ahead in computational performance compared to where we are right now.

Its just not that simple. Instruction stages were added to take the load off a cpu by spreading the workload around parallel running taskings, single input multiple data, doing this lessens the burden, but lengthens the process, this lag is masked by these pipeline stages all running in parallel the deeper the piping the more lag you can mask, but also the longer the penalty when something goes wrong, particularly a branch prediction as you have to wait for everything to finish and go back to the start of the pipe and do it again with the correct choice. On wii u's 4 stage architecture, this is a zero cycle penalty (at least first miss in a cycle, its cache is big enough to keep the correct branch in case of failure... this was broadway, which has a microscopic cache compared to espresso) and a 5 cycle penalty for a miss that cant be recovered. Xenon, the 360 cpu, had a 500 cycle penalty everytime a branch was missed. That is half a GHz, miss 2 branch predictions and now you have a 2Ghz cpu performance.

ANYWAYS, its not all bad, one of the end results of deeper pipelines is mitigated thermal burden which means you can clock them higher. Clock them high enough, and you can increase performance, namely simd performance.

However, deep pipelined high clocked architectures can aways be bested by short pipelined architectures, often at no more than half the clock speed, or even much less, much less power needed, and at much less of a physical footprint on the same process size(smaller chip size)

But, this philosophy has been ditched since they couldnt move on to smp or be clocked higher because of its architecture.

Nothings (nothing high end competitive) used a short piped solution since the ibm apple fallout until power 7, which is a complete 180 turn around from the power 6, at a fraction of the pipeline stages, a fraction of the power draw, thermal envelope, size, and clock speed (literally 1/4 the power draw, thermals, and size per core compared to the power 6)

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#47 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

If you could simply just increase the clock speed of a 4 stage pipeline architecture like the 750 family the computer landscape we know today would be COMPLETELY different.

I-core wouldnt exist, there would be no i-7 intel would be doing miserable, ibm and apple would still be making high performance low power g family cpu's owning the consumer computer market, the g4 and 5 wouldnt have been complete garbage causing apple to leave ibm for intel, we would be light years ahead in computational performance compared to where we are right now.

Its just not that simple. Instruction stages were added to take the load off a cpu by spreading the workload around parallel running taskings, single input multiple data, doing this lessens the burden, but lengthens the process, this lag is masked by these pipeline stages all running in parallel the deeper the piping the more lag you can mask, but also the longer the penalty when something goes wrong, particularly a branch prediction as you have to wait for everything to finish and go back to the start of the pipe and do it again with the correct choice. On wii u's 4 stage architecture, this is a zero cycle penalty (at least first miss in a cycle, its cache is big enough to keep the correct branch in case of failure... this was broadway, which has a microscopic cache compared to espresso) and a 5 cycle penalty for a miss that cant be recovered. Xenon, the 360 cpu, had a 500 cycle penalty everytime a branch was missed. That is half a GHz, miss 2 branch predictions and now you have a 2Ghz cpu performance.

ANYWAYS, its not all bad, one of the end results of deeper pipelines is mitigated thermal burden which means you can clock them higher. Clock them high enough, and you can increase performance, namely simd performance.

However, deep pipelined high clocked architectures can aways be bested by short pipelined architectures, often at no more than half the clock speed, or even much less, much less power needed, and at much less of a physical footprint on the same process size(smaller chip size)

But, this philosophy has been ditched since they couldnt move on to smp or be clocked higher because of its architecture.

Nothings (nothing high end competitive) used a short piped solution since the ibm apple fallout until power 7, which is a complete 180 turn around from the power 6, at a fraction of the pipeline stages, a fraction of the power draw, thermal envelope, size, and clock speed (literally 1/4 the power draw, thermals, and size per core compared to the power 6)

Again i say this is a completely new CPU that borrows little things from the 750 line to make it BC. thats why as you say if 750 could have been clock this high or higher IBM would have done it years ago to keep apple around. to me this only makes logical sense. so to all those blaster on neogaf and beyond3d its not a broadway more cache or modified broadway.... its NEW.

I don't think nintendo would overclock it even if they could since they made the system for the japanese audience that are in to energy efficenty and overclocking it would go against that.

These quotes mostly the last one always bugs me because it goes against all other information of the wii U cpu.

Normally in cases like this I could dismiss it for just marketing but Iwata isn't Reggie, Iwata actually knows technology and doesn't just spurt out nonsensical marketing talk like Reggie not to mention even though you could think of Iwata ask as Marketing its really only read by fans of Nintendo themselves so its not something the public reads that needs to be lied to, to get them to buy something.
It could be that Iwata was talking about the system compared to the wii and not to other consoles and that why he is so impressed by it or it could be even though really unlikely marketing talk.

It bugs me so, I wish I could trust Iwata on this but when it goes against other sources it brings me down and recent Nintendo endeavors such as the wii has made me weary .

yeah its funny because on other sites when i quote this people say its PR BS and thats all. but nintnedo Iwata and Miyamoto specifically have never been ones to say things just for PR purposes. if im correct the Gamecube actually outperformed what they initally said it would be capable of. i made a thread a while back about the nintendo quotes on Wii U and its power/architecture. in all ive heard from the Iwata ask and his quotes to ign on the power issue im a peace with what Wii u is capable of. Nintendo 1st and 2nd party titles will be standouts.... the question is what 3rd party dev is gonna give a damn to try and push the console along with ps4 and 720.... thats the only question that remains to me. also the Wii was made that way on purpose.... like ive said before. the ORIGINAL Wii was gonna outperform the xbox360 and ps3.... thats why i think its funny people think the Wii U is some slouch or not as powerful as ps360. go look up on google nintendo revolution leaked specs. nintendo had a change of thought at the last moment... they decided to go low specs innovative controller. the Original wii would have stood toe to toe with ps360 and outperformed in certain areas. the wii u will be fine.

Edited by GAMER1984, 30 December 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#48 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

Again i say this is a completely new CPU that borrows little things from the 750 line to make it BC. thats why as you say if 750 could have been clock this high or higher IBM would have done it years ago to keep apple around. to me this only makes logical sense. so to all those blaster on neogaf and beyond3d its not a broadway more cache or modified broadway.... its NEW.

Theres nothing wrong with being a modified broadway, with the exception of floating point, the 750 was a fantastic stable, high performance low power architecture, which is why its still being used for crazy stuff like going to mars.

Its only problem was that its inability to support smp made it a dead end.

The reason this 750 is clocked as high as it is, is because its made on a smaller process than any other known 750. At 45nm, its half the process size as broadway, which ultimately means you can safely clock it higher.

It still has 4 instruction stage pipelines +3 for floating point, with paired singles, 4 fetch 2 retire 6 execution per clock.... And a much much much MUCH larger cache (which is a very big deal)

Its a 750 Series. No doubts about it. If it wasnt, there is no way such fast progress in hacking the system would be possible... Although Nintendo is being extremely helpful what with not stripping their binaries.

Just a 750 series that overcame the shortcomings that shelved the family back in 2006. Sure its technically a broadway, or even a gecko. In the same sense an i7 is 'just' an 8086.

Its a very good straight forward cpu. It does a lot per clock, its aggressively out of order, so you dont have to put your code through backflips and stupid stunts, it has killer branch prediction and inconsequential penalties.

If it could be clocked at 3+ Ghz it would destroy anything ms or sony could possibly hope to put in their systems. But it cant. At its current clock speed its an extremely high performance cpu for its power draw. Nothing else at a similar power draw is likely to come close.... But its not going to be a match for bigger power hungry processors.

Until it shrinks and the speed is upped and more cores added....

Edited by 3Dude, 30 December 2012 - 06:45 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#49 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

Theres nothing wrong with being a modified broadway, with the exception of floating point, the 750 was a fantastic stable, high performance low power architecture, which is why its still being used for crazy stuff like going to mars.

The reason this 750 is clocked as high as it is, is because its made on a smaller process than any other known 750. At 45nm, its half the process size as broadway, which ultimately means you can safely clock it higher.

It still has 4 instruction stage pipelines +3 for floating point, with paired singles, 4 fetch 2 retire 6 execution per clock.... And a much much much MUCH larger cache (which is a very big deal)

Its a 750 Series. No doubts about it.

Just a 750 series that overcame the shortcomings that shelved the family back in 2006. Sure its technically a broadway, or even a gecko. In the same sense an i7 is 'just' an 8086.

Its a very good straight forward cpu. It does a lot per clock, its aggressively out of order, so you dont have to put your code through backflips and stupid stunts, it has killer branch prediction and inconsequential penalties.

If it could be clocked at 3+ Ghz it would destroy anything ms or sony could possibly hope to put in their systems. But it cant. At its current clock speed its an extremely high performance cpu for its power draw. Nothing else at a similar power draw is likely to come close.... But its not going to be a match for bigger power hungry processors.

Hmm kinda poetic that Nintendo brought a CPU back from the dead ..I guess its only a matter of time to see what this frankenstein can do.

#50 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

Its a 750 Series. No doubts about it.

yeah to go back to how developers have been all over the place with this hardware debate. remember the producer for TTT2 said the Wii U CPU was clocked a "LITTLE" slower than ps360. everyone said oh rumors must be true 3ghz CPU.... 1.24ghz is a LOT less than ps360. i just dont know what to think at this point. im not worried about the CPU but i dont think we know exactly whats inside or clock speeds yet. Nintendo i think went all out on ARCHITECTURE instead of just the numbers/power game. like the developer from Nano Assault has said its a straight forward console without the bottle necks of this HD gen. the CPU and GPU pair is dead on and i truly believe games built from ground up for this console with people who give a dan and know what they are doing are gonna be jaw dropping. I CANT WAIT!

Hmm kinda poetic that Nintendo brought a CPU back from the dead ..I guess its only a matter of time to see what this frankenstein can do.

cant really say they brought it back from the dead. its just a decendent of what they have used the past two generations. people forget nintendo and IBM had a partnership with making the Gamecube CPU. i qouted the iwata ask for a reason its all explained right there. when nintendo developed this console they formed a group from Nintendo, IBM, AMD and Renesas they called "team nintendo". this console was so customized to get high performance and low power draw. please dont take this CPU as a weak part of Wii U because it isnt.... is gonna do exactly what it needs to do efficiently.

Edited by GAMER1984, 30 December 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#51 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

yeah to go back to how developers have been all over the place with this hardware debate. remember the producer for TTT2 said the Wii U CPU was clocked a "LITTLE" slower than ps360. everyone said oh rumors must be true 3ghz CPU.... 1.24ghz is a LOT less than ps360. i just dont know what to think at this point. im not worried about the CPU but i dont think we know exactly whats inside or clock speeds yet. Nintendo i think went all out on ARCHITECTURE instead of just the numbers/power game. like the developer from Nano Assault has said its a straight forward console without the bottle necks of this HD gen. the CPU and GPU pair is dead on and i truly believe games built from ground up for this console with people who give a dan and know what they are doing are gonna be jaw dropping. I CANT WAIT!

cant really say they brought it back from the dead. its just a decendent of what they have used the past two generations. people forget nintendo and IBM had a partnership with making the Gamecube CPU. i qouted the iwata ask for a reason its all explained right there. when nintendo developed this console they formed a group from Nintendo, IBM, AMD and Renesas they called "team nintendo". this console was so customized to get high performance and low power draw. please dont take this CPU as a weak part of Wii U because it isnt.... is gonna do exactly what it needs to do efficiently.

I just hope the wii U doesn't become the wii vs what the other companies next gen consoles are at least be like a vita in game graphics(yes I know in a few regards the vita is better than the 360 and ps3 including being more modern I'm talking purely on looks though and what can be ported to it) compared to the 360 and ps3 if you get what I mean.

#52 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

***NEWSFLASH***
Video gaming causes global warming!!!

Signature_DK.png

#53 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

***NEWSFLASH***
Video gaming causes global warming!!!

So does your existence.
(mine as well)

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 30 December 2012 - 07:21 PM.

#54 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

I just hope the wii U doesn't become the wii vs what the other companies next gen consoles are at least be like a vita in game graphics(yes I know in a few regards the vita is better than the 360 and ps3 including being more modern I'm talking purely on looks though and what can be ported to it) compared to the 360 and ps3 if you get what I mean.

Wii was about 20x less powerful than ps360.... no next gen console is making that kind of leap. it will be up to if developers think an audience is their on Wii u. go on youtube and look at the 360 video comparison vs PC of The Witcher 2. thats what you should expect in cross platform games Wii U vs ps4 and 720. its gonna be missing just some effects and might run at slower fps and resloution might be lower thats it... but that all depends on developers... there will be Wii U games that will stand up against the "ALL MIGHTY" 720 and ps4.

#55 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

So does your existence.
(mine as well)

True. Everytime we fart/crap we are polluting the enviroment.

Signature_DK.png

#56 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

Wii was about 20x less powerful than ps360.... no next gen console is making that kind of leap. it will be up to if developers think an audience is their on Wii u. go on youtube and look at the 360 video comparison vs PC of The Witcher 2. thats what you should expect in cross platform games Wii U vs ps4 and 720. its gonna be missing just some effects and might run at slower fps and resloution might be lower thats it... but that all depends on developers... there will be Wii U games that will stand up against the "ALL MIGHTY" 720 and ps4.

That what I am hoping and is pretty much summarized what I said in "How the wiiU will handle against the new consoles thread" but I just got a bad felling in my stomach though about the wii U that I just can't shake off.

#57 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

That what I am hoping and is pretty much summarized what I said in "How the wiiU will handle against the new consoles thread" but I just got a bad felling in my stomach though about the wii U that I just can't shake off.

that bad feeling should be 3rd parties acceptance and feelings towards Wii U and not the power of Wii U itself.

#58 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

that bad feeling should be 3rd parties acceptance and feelings towards Wii U and not the power of Wii U itself.

That is true I hope the third party support improves compared to the wii U launch and not degress from the wii U launch.

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 30 December 2012 - 07:52 PM.

#59 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:53 AM

I have never had my X360, PS3 or PC overheat when playing games, i really fail to see what the issue is.

#60 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

I have never had my X360, PS3 or PC overheat when playing games, i really fail to see what the issue is.

Youve never heard of the red ring of death? Thousands of people had their 360's overheat on them while playing games.

Less than half 3.2 Ghz. He was under NDA and did not want to say anything that would upset Nintendo. Saying the system ran at 1.25 Ghz, or even a ballpark number anywhere CLOSE to what the real clockspeed was would have been unacceptable. Saying it is less than half the speed would have been a bad move because it would have pissed off Nintendo. Making an extremely vauge maybe a little slower comment was pretty much the best he could do at the time beyond no comment, 360 code is no good for the wii u cpu. The architectures are complete opposites, 360 used simd to break instructions up over many parallel taskings and used a high clock speed to compensate the slower instructions per clock that resulted. espresso completes many instructions in whole chunks at the same time, completing many many many more instructions in a single clock than xenon (18 instructions per clock compared to xenons 6), but it is clocked slower. Keep in mind the 360 cpu is a g5, despite all the idiot port devs (mind you, its ONLY and ALWAYS port devs) masturbating to how awesome it is because it has a high clock speed, this is the garbage cpu that nearly destroyed ibm. Apple terminated their contract with ibm because of the crap performance of the g5. They wanted more advanced versions of the G3. Their ENTIRE ADVERTISING PITCH they built up over years, including demonstrating concepts like the Megahertz myth was designed around high ipc machines with lower clock speeds, the g3 was the power mac poster child. The G5 was the complete opposite of all that, couldnt come within a moonshot of its theoretical peak in real world performance, and suffered ridiculous penalties. The G5 is the reason icore exists. apple dropped ibm and signed on with intel creating the icore series.

You cant port that crap to the wii u and expect it to be easy peasy to get as good or better performance. It RELIES on the higher clockspeed just to work. Modifying the code will only get you so far, it needs to be completely rewritten on the instruction level because of how different the cpu's are.

Nintendo didnt bring it back from the dead. IBM did. IBM developed some manner of technology, most likely their new edram that acts like 6tsram technology that enabled them to achieve worthwhile smp on short piped architecture.

But brought back from the dead it most certainly was. IBM officially terminated the 750 family in 2006 with the FX/fl being the last in the family line ever documented. A single core processor that could BARELY make it to 1 Ghz, but wasnt advised to be used at such speeds.

the 750 is a descendent of the 740 which is a descendent of the 603e, the 750 had several generations itself, the 755, the 750 CX, the 750 cl, the 750 CXe (Gekko) The 750 CLe (broadway) the 750 FX, which could reach 900 Mhz, and has nearly twice as many transistors as broadway (this was 2002) in 2004, the last and most powerful 750 family was released, the 750 GX, with 44 million transistors, it had a little over double the transistors of broadway (which was a 2006 special nintendo and ibm collaboration from a team called team nintendo) and could BARELY reach 1 Ghz.

Thats it, aside from broadway, which was just an older cpu made on a smaller process (there were two generations of newer more powerful 750's when broadway was made), there hasnt been a new entry in the 750 line. IBM stopped documenting the 750 line, and publicly announced its plans to terminate the line, stating it would never make a 750 smaller than 90nm, smp was never achieved, and it was phasing it out as a commodity chip.

This is most definately necromancy. This line was deader than a doornail. Something made it viable again, and it wasnt Nintendo.

Edited by 3Dude, 31 December 2012 - 07:13 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!