• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 albatross

albatross

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

The market still has some life left in it and I think the advantage that Nintendo have is the 12-18 month head start over the mainstream competition from Xbox and Sony. Nintendo needs to make hay while the sun shines though and get the killer titles like Zelda, Smash bros, Mario Kart and 3D Mario game out to market.

Be under no illusion though, the market for power consoles is on the wane. Tablets are more than doubling GPU speeds every year and it will not be long till a full Call of Duty will be possible or just simply use your TV to hook up to a Cloud gaming service without paying for additional hardware. Just look at the way movies, music and books are moving to the cloud, gaming is a bit trickier but it will inevitably go the same way.

The good news is that hardware really does not matter, no one knows more than Nintendo that content is king and in terms of software catalogues and ip, Nintendo is really well placed. I am sure that they are already planning for the upheaval and are manoeuvring the company that way.

#22 emmonsh

emmonsh

Red Koopa Troopa

• Banned
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Ok, so I have only been using it a couple of days.

We have the following games:

- Super Mario U
- ZombiU
- Nintendo land
- Skylanders Giants

I write this with a heavy heart as I have always been a big Nintendo fan and have owned all of their consoles at some point. I always associated Nintendo with the highest quality of hardware and software.

Where do I start? the interface is poor and confusing and very very slow. Super Mario looked unfinished, unimaginative and lacked polish compared to something like New Super Mario bros Wii and certainly Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Nintendo land is truly shocking so far, we have only played Donkey Kong, Luigi mansion and Yoshi hunt? so far but my family have no interest in playing any of these ever again and cannot even be bothered to try the others. This is not a patch on Wii Sports as a pack in game from what I have seen so far, and the whole Nintendo Land hub park thing is awfully designed as well.

ZombiU was bought for me by my wife but I dislike first person perspective games so I will give this the benefit of the doubt; played it once but will probably trade it in without playing it again, I am sure its fine for what it is but it is not for me. Graphically though it seems to be sub standard compared to what I have seen on other consoles.

Thank heavens for Skylanders or I would have a very disappointed little boy this Christmas, he loves this game and it feels like the only properly developed and finished Wii U product we have. I am sure it is just as good on other platforms though.

I cannot see any real use yet so far for the screen controller yet other than allowing my boy to continue playing when we want to watch the tv. if a game has an item selection page then I would rather just press a button and see it on the tv to be honest.

There has been a lot of talk about this being Nintendo's last console and that the future for them will be as a software house for iPad, PS4 and Xbox and this seems inevitable to me at this point in time. Trouble is, if they do not pull up their socks with the quality of their output then I do not see a big future for them in that market either.

Before the flaming starts, remember I have always been a Nintendo fan boy and I really hope the next wave of games bring the magic back.

you probably were a troll from thr time out of mommys uterus. only talk about being last console have been trolls. the os is just as good as the 360 and ps3 had when first out. the wii u has outsold by a mile the launch of 360 and ps3. I luve the controller. playing darksiders everything I pick up I can see and switch without pausing the game even in battle. quality is a-1. so yes you are a troll.

#23 albatross

albatross

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

you probably were a troll from thr time out of mommys uterus.

Ok, I know there will be a lot of young people on this forum so I was prepared for a a few juvenile remarks among the sensible responses but that is pretty low regardless - hey ho.

#24 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

NSMB U a rushed game ? I don't think so. It's far more polished then any previous NSMB game and as I said the best 2D game since Super Mario World on the SNES. It's polished with great graphics, great level design and gameplay and one of the must have games on the Wii U.

As for sales they have been pretty good for a new console costing $300 or more and its way to early to write it off. You seem to think you have a crystal ball that tells you the future and obviously you have no idea of future sales. They certainly aren't stagnating.

Regards the 3DS its doing extremely well and has healthy sales worldwide every month especially in Japan. Co,paring it to the Nexus 7 tablet is not only plain ridiculous but also makes absolutely no sense. They are two very different products going after two very different markets and aren't competing in any way. The Nexus 7 in no way is going to have any affect on the 3DS sales. Plus there is no way that games that cost a few dollars on there are comparable to 3DS games that are much more robust and solid and for the most part are justifiable at the higher cost. The Nexus 7 and other tablets don't even have a proper input system with buttons and analogue sticks.

Just to add its also just plain ridiculous to expect Nintendo to release all their main franchises in the next 12 to 18 months. It doesn't makes business sense more does it make sense to the consumer. They need to be spread out during the consoles life span with maybe some of them having sequels as well. It also takes time to release polished versions of such major franchises and there is no way they're going to be able to release them all in such a small span of time.

Edited by Gamejunkie, 30 December 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#25 Dean - Bauer

Dean - Bauer

Goomba

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

It's the same whenever any new hardware launches, you can't expect perfection from day 1. Give the machine some time, wait for pikmin 3 and the inevitable 3d Mario in 2013.

As an early adopter you have to have patience!

I've got NSMBU, Zombie U, Nintendoland and Sonic and Sega Allstar Racing and nothing has blown me away, but I didn't expect it too, so at the moment in fairly satisfied with my investment.

It will be interesting to return to this thread, this time in 2013 to see if views have changed.
WiiU= Dean-Bauer
PS3= Judgesnipesalot
XBOX 360= dean bauer

#26 albatross

albatross

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

I think the biggest advance in game controllers in the last few year is not the Wiimote, Kinect or Game pad it is the multi touch tablet screen on the iPad and now on pretty much all tablets. For traditional gaming it is not ideal but for puzzle, word and innovative games it is a real advance.

It will be interesting to return to this thread, this time in 2013 to see if views have changed.

Agreed, I really do hope the next wave of games change my mind. I am certainly not above eating humble pie!

#27 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

I think the biggest advance in game controllers in the last few year is not the Wiimote, Kinect or Game pad it is the multi touch tablet screen on the iPad and now on pretty much all tablets. For traditional gaming it is not ideal but for puzzle, word and innovative games it is a real advance.
Agreed, I really do hope the next wave of games change my mind. I am certainly not above eating humble pie!

I disagree. It certainly is an innovative feature from a touch screen point of view but as far as games go it does nothing to advance the way we play them and it will be extremely hard for anything to replace traditional buttons and analogue sticks in that respect. You seem to put far too much faith in tablets with regards to playing games both from a performance stand point and input controls and that is no way true now or will be in the future. They're alright for point and click and puzzle based games but for any other genres they just don't cut it and never will.

#28 albatross

albatross

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

The Nexus 7 in no way is going to have any affect on the 3DS sales. Plus there is no way that games that cost a few dollars on there are comparable to 3DS games that are much more robust and solid and for the most part are justifiable at the higher cost. The Nexus 7 and other tablets don't even have a proper input system with buttons and analogue sticks.

Really? I know loads of families who were planning on getting their kids a 3DS and by Christmas time the letter to Santa was changed from a 3DS to a iPad Mini, Android tablet etc. My son has a 3DS but it is rarely used, he just wants to play on our iPad instead.

#29 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

Really? I know loads of families who were planning on getting their kids a 3DS and by Christmas time the letter to Santa was changed from a 3DS to a iPad Mini, Android tablet etc. My son has a 3DS but it is rarely used, he just wants to play on our iPad instead.

Really ? So you know loads of families ? How many is that ? 1000? 10,000? More ? You might actually want to look at the official sales figures of the 3DS. You also might want to seriously look at the technical capabilities of these tablets as well as the type of software they offer. I'm no way are they or can they compete with a fully fledged portable console like the 3DS or offer the same game playing experience as a PS Vita. So your some doesn't like his 3DS. How does that speak for the majority of consumers out there ? Sorry but no disrespect but I don't think you have a clue about what you're talking about judging by your posts in this thread.

#30 Amylittlehands

Amylittlehands

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Fandom:
    Harvest Moon

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

Nintendo needs to make hay while the sun shines though and get the killer titles like Zelda, Smash bros, Mario Kart and 3D Mario game out to market.

That's the trouble with people like me, I'm not really into those franchises and never have been. I'm not sure what drawn me into getting a Wii but I know it wasn't these games. I'll be getting a WiiU because of the uniqueness of it and other reasons but I really hope that other games from third parties come out rather than the usual SMB/Zelda etc ...
Posted ImageERHMEHGERHD A Tiny cat. All the better to keep in my tiny pocket.

#31 albatross

albatross

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

Sales figures? c'mon the iPad alone has probably beaten the 3DS sales by a factor of 10 and this will only increase exponentially in the coming months and years.

As I said before the technical capabilities of the tablets are also increasing month by month as well, agreed no tablet is yet as powerful as a vita but they have already overtaken the 3DS, the Vita's specs will also be trumped by the end of next year by all accounts.

Yes the games are different, but the delivery method and constant updates and innovation is a real attraction.

As to knowing lots of families, come on pay attention and look around you, ask some kids, it is not hard to see which way the wind is blowing with regards mobile gaming.

#32 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Ok, I know there will be a lot of young people on this forum so I was prepared for a a few juvenile remarks among the sensible responses but that is pretty low regardless - hey ho.

U just h8 on nintendo bcuz u liek sony nintendoland is da funnist game evar how culd u not liek it sony fangirl u r a loser dat comed out ur moms butcrack
lolololo

Sales figures? c'mon the iPad alone has probably beaten the 3DS sales by a factor of 10 and this will only increase exponentially in the coming months and years.

As I said before the technical capabilities of the tablets are also increasing month by month as well, agreed no tablet is yet as powerful as a vita but they have already overtaken the 3DS, the Vita's specs will also be trumped by the end of next year by all accounts.

Yes the games are different, but the delivery method and constant updates and innovation is a real attraction.

As to knowing lots of families, come on pay attention and look around you, ask some kids, it is not hard to see which way the wind is blowing with regards mobile gaming.

lul da ipad is dum 3ds is bettr cuz nintendo made it bsides the ipads a tablit and 3ds is handhld

#33 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Ok, so I have only been using it a couple of days.

We have the following games:

- Super Mario U
- ZombiU
- Nintendo land
- Skylanders Giants

I write this with a heavy heart as I have always been a big Nintendo fan and have owned all of their consoles at some point. I always associated Nintendo with the highest quality of hardware and software.

Where do I start? the interface is poor and confusing and very very slow. Super Mario looked unfinished, unimaginative and lacked polish compared to something like New Super Mario bros Wii and certainly Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Nintendo land is truly shocking so far, we have only played Donkey Kong, Luigi mansion and Yoshi hunt? so far but my family have no interest in playing any of these ever again and cannot even be bothered to try the others. This is not a patch on Wii Sports as a pack in game from what I have seen so far, and the whole Nintendo Land hub park thing is awfully designed as well.

ZombiU was bought for me by my wife but I dislike first person perspective games so I will give this the benefit of the doubt; played it once but will probably trade it in without playing it again, I am sure its fine for what it is but it is not for me. Graphically though it seems to be sub standard compared to what I have seen on other consoles.

Thank heavens for Skylanders or I would have a very disappointed little boy this Christmas, he loves this game and it feels like the only properly developed and finished Wii U product we have. I am sure it is just as good on other platforms though.

I cannot see any real use yet so far for the screen controller yet other than allowing my boy to continue playing when we want to watch the tv. if a game has an item selection page then I would rather just press a button and see it on the tv to be honest.

There has been a lot of talk about this being Nintendo's last console and that the future for them will be as a software house for iPad, PS4 and Xbox and this seems inevitable to me at this point in time. Trouble is, if they do not pull up their socks with the quality of their output then I do not see a big future for them in that market either.

Before the flaming starts, remember I have always been a Nintendo fan boy and I really hope the next wave of games bring the magic back.

Im not trying to be rude but what you said was complete crap. First of all the Wii U interface is much less confusing than the dreaded 360 dashboard. NSMBU is the most innovative NSMB game yet. Nintendo Land is much better than Wii Sports the only problem is not enough single player attraction. Zombi U is a classic and the only reason you probably hate it is because it isnt like COD zombies. Skylanders is one of the worst games that is actually selling. As for the competitors Sony is probably going to be the only good one. If you dont like the Wii U why did you come here?

I disagree. It certainly is an innovative feature from a touch screen point of view but as far as games go it does nothing to advance the way we play them and it will be extremely hard for anything to replace traditional buttons and analogue sticks in that respect. You seem to put far too much faith in tablets with regards to playing games both from a performance stand point and input controls and that is no way true now or will be in the future. They're alright for point and click and puzzle based games but for any other genres they just don't cut it and never will.

Didnt I tell you to vacate the site if you are always going to be negative. You must be too beligerent to listen to simple logic.

Edited by Mr.Saturn, 30 December 2012 - 07:36 PM.

Signature_DK.png

#34 Mushlikeahusky

Mushlikeahusky

Thwomp

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Fandom:
    Banjo Kazooie

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

I love the Wii U Skylanders is my new obsession, Zombi U is the best survival horror game way better than RE:4! Mario is the best mario ive played since Mario 64 and this console is like a big new bag of nostalgia shot down my throat. Its literally a rush playing such a great Nintendo console.
I see where you dont like Nintendo Land its kinda lame but some of the games are decent. The console runs smooth better than 360 by far. The graphics are great. The controller and the 1080p feels next gen. Are you playing on a standard t.v.? Does your internet suck? This is the best console out. And this is from a Microsoft fan boy point of view.
Posted Image

#35 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

yes i disagree on most of your points. one me and the wife enjoyed NSMBU SO much. its like what most reviewers have said is the best 2d mario game in decades. nintendo land is SO much fun! te fact that they give you these sample size games but they gamepla is much deeper than wii sports. most games have up to 16 stages and the difficulty is ramped up as you move along. its a genuis game and a standout especially for family fun or having people over to play. ZombiU is one of the best gaming experiences this gen. probably the best TRUE survival horror game since early resident evil games. and the gamepad is awesome. being able to get up in middle of the night and play BLOPS2 straight from the gamepad with headphones in is AWESOME. i can have full game experoience in the middle of the night without touching my tv.... if that isnt a next gen experience i dont know what is

#36 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Im not trying to be rude but what you said was complete crap. First of all the Wii U interface is much less confusing than the dreaded 360 dashboard. NSMBU is the most innovative NSMB game yet. Nintendo Land is much better than Wii Sports the only problem is not enough single player attraction. Zombi U is a classic and the only reason you probably hate it is because it isnt like COD zombies. Skylanders is one of the worst games that is actually selling. As for the competitors Sony is probably going to be the only good one. If you dont like the Wii U why did you come here?

Didnt I tell you to vacate the site if you are always going to be negative. You must be too beligerent to listen to simple logic.

I no rite i h8 dis guy

but xbox will sell bettr den ps4

#37 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

I no rite i h8 dis guy

but xbox will sell bettr den ps4

Because Xbox's are always defective peices of crap!

Signature_DK.png

#38 Stiggie U

Stiggie U

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • NNID:Stiggie U

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

You judging this console way to early my friend. I've been a PC gamer(still am) Xbox360 and PS3 for years and never liked the Wii because truth be told I am a graphics whore when it comes to detail. Buying the Wii U was a hugh risk onmy part and so far I dont regret the purchase one bit. Yes I only have Zombie U which is an amazing game, and Mario on its way. I know I wont have regrets buying that one with most reviews saying its the best in the series and a average rating of 9/10 I cant go wrong.
Yes I will agree the line up sux, well thats if you have had a Xbox or PS3 before. Just remember this is early, really early days for this console and games and greaphics will only get better as well as firmware update to improve the running of the hardware.
So I think you jumped the gun way to fast there and should rather give it time.
pikmin3.png

#39 MrConbon

MrConbon

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

Wait a second. You only let your kids play video games an hour a day!? You sound like an awful parent! What's next making them go to church!?

#40 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:32 AM

Albatross, i wish you would stop comparing tablets to the 3DS or other handheld consoles. Playing Angry Birds or Doodle Jump isnt really the same as playing Mario 3D land or Kid Icarus is it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!