#1 PyroKinesis

PyroKinesis

Boo

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Party, Animal Crossing

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

I realize I am perhaps not the best person to start this thread, being here for all of two weeks, however, something must be said, and by now, the main contributors here know my style is to be direct and to the point, so, that being said, I am here to ask questions and offer suggestions.

First of all, we have four moderators here. Fantastic. That should be good enough for a community this size. However, it seems that lately mods are not doing anything to curb the recent spamming problem. For instance, threads are in the wrong sections and never moved to the correct section, duplicate threads are posted and never merged with pre-existing threads, and spam threads are posted and never deleted or locked

Furthermore, it's always the same people doing this, over and over, and nobody even bats an eye. No warnings are given, neither verbal or the points kind, and it seems to always be swept under the rug.

Now, maybe because you call yourself "The largest Wii U community in the Universe" you don't care about quality, only quantity, because, hey, the more posts here, the more it looks like you have an active community, but that's just a shady business practice. However, I know that most of your main contributing members do care about quality. I've seen them complain in the chat when I am in there.

All I'm saying is to start caring. And if you (the admins), truly do care, then perhaps you need some mods who care as well, and aren't just here for the title of "mod".

-Corey

#2 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

Tenzō of the Wood Release

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

I believe the admins and mods really do care I KNOW mournblade does but there is a lot of spam threads etc...some made SPECIFICALLY to get into chat but oh well

wjapt2.jpg

#3 PyroKinesis

PyroKinesis

Boo

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

I believe the admins and mods really do care I KNOW mournblade does but there is a lot of spam threads etc...some made SPECIFICALLY to get into chat but oh well

This may be true, however, how many of those guys do you actually see in the chat after they have reached the 5 posts? Next to none. If this was the case, then heck, I would advocate raising the requirement from 5 to 20-30, maybe even 50.

But like I said, I don't think this is the case. I think people are spamming because they know they can get away with it, and nothing is done about it.

#4 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

This may be true, however, how many of those guys do you actually see in the chat after they have reached the 5 posts? Next to none. If this was the case, then heck, I would advocate raising the requirement from 5 to 20-30, maybe even 50.

But like I said, I don't think this is the case. I think people are spamming because they know they can get away with it, and nothing is done about it.

they are spamming because they are lazy and dont want to wait and look for a thread to answer their questions they want the answer NOW and that's that

wjapt2.jpg

#5 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

POPULAR

If more people reported stuff then the moderators would do their job more efficiently. The problem is that moderators can't be on 24/7 and by the time they're online the spam is already pages away.

This site has been filled with more spam since the Wii U launched, I agree with you. Proper warnings and punishments should handled out to those who continue to break rules without care. It makes the site look unprofessional.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#6 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

If more people reported stuff then the moderators would do their job more efficiently. The problem is that moderators can't be on 24/7 and by the time they're online the spam is already pages away.

This site has been filled with more spam since the Wii U launched, I agree with you. Proper warnings and punishments should handled out to those who continue to break rules without care. It makes the site look unprofessional.

THIS IS SOOOOOOOO TRUE ...........at least to us members considered some what vets or those whom are vets

wjapt2.jpg

#7 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

I concur.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#8 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

THIS IS SOOOOOOOO TRUE ...........at least to us members considered some what vets or those whom are vets

Haven't you only been here a month? O_o I agree with the fact that their are members who are continuously breaking rules because they know they can get away with it..

Any who, I agree with Zinix completely. If more people reported (preferably with specifics [links, time, etc]) it would make the mods jobs a lot easier. However, there have been some lenience in certain threads, and those instances should be looked into a little more. I do think these forums need a little more.. moderation for lack of a better word, to keep up with the influx of nonsense as of late... and to address the issues we have been hearing.. over.. and over... and over again. Mehhhh

Though, on the side of members, Admins and Mods have addressed a lot of suggestions and just because they didn't consider your suggestion doesn't mean they aren't doing their jobs.

#9 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Haven't you only been here a month? O_o I agree with the fact that their are members who are continuously breaking rules because they know they can get away with it..

Any who, I agree with Zinix completely. If more people reported (preferably with specifics [links, time, etc]) it would make the mods jobs a lot easier. However, there have been some lenience in certain threads, and those instances should be looked into a little more. I do think these forums need a little more.. moderation for lack of a better word, to keep up with the influx of nonsense as of late... and to address the issues we have been hearing.. over.. and over... and over again. Mehhhh

Though, on the side of members, Admins and Mods have addressed a lot of suggestions and just because they didn't consider your suggestion doesn't mean they aren't doing their jobs.

Noona why do you always harp on me :( and i know i have but I am a semi vet like i said in my post "Some what vet"

wjapt2.jpg

#10 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Haven't you only been here a month?

Haven't you only been here three months?

#11 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

http://thewiiu.com/topic/8680-fight/ This thread speaks for itself in how bad it is in terms of spam. It's not even in the right section.

#12 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

If more people reported stuff

If more people reported

Hey!

....Snitches get Stitches

#13 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

I haven't been very active in the past week due to me getting over my cold, but I've been dealing with things the best I can. I don't view the gameplay sections as much as some users here and I can't really keep straight the amount of duplicate topics and all the spammy posts. There has been a rise in real 'guest' accounts, which sometimes spam (I remember finding a whole page of it once), and I have no idea how that works.
I typically rely on how you all report topics in order to act upon it, as I can't remember if a topic about a game has been posted more than once.

If this was the case, then heck, I would advocate raising the requirement from 5 to 20-30, maybe even 50.

In my personal opinion, the amount should probably be heightened, as most members who spam to chat, don't end up chatting. Whenever I spend time in the chat, it's the usual same group of people.

This has been the case and sometimes is hard to deal with, as I can be unsure if it always is spam or I just miss it.

In a few instances, some longtime users do seem to get special treatment or somewhat looked over when they break the rules or spam (in regards to the pony posting), which should result in a verbal warning. I personally don't like to warn or give punishments, but I typically PM a user, talk to them, or give them an informal warning.

The main issue I have is that I don't always have free time, so I can't always see the spam when it isn't reported.

#14 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:20 AM

I'm sorry about the recent number of spammy posts. I've to been online much over christmas and I now have prelims coming up in a few weeks. I don't have time to read every thread that is posted on this forum, so it's inevitable that we'll miss some things. If. You see anything that breaks the rules, you should report it and it will be dealt with - it only takes thirty seconds to do.

The reason why we call this the "largest Wii U community in the world", is because it's a fact that we are the biggest Wii U forum at the moment and it's impossible to prove that we are the best forum. It doesn't mean that we don't care about quality.

As for warnings, we do give them out fairly regularly and there are quite a lot of users who have been warned at some point. However, I don't tend to give out a warning whenever someone breaks a minor rule, otherwise pretty much everyone here would have had one. For example, with the pony images posted in the atheism thread, I didn't give put any warnings, as I didn't feel that warning every user who spammed updates achieve anything. However, if you guys think we are too lenient at times, I'm happy too start being more harsh on users who break rules.

#15 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:10 AM

I'm sorry about the recent number of spammy posts. I've to been online much over christmas and I now have prelims coming up in a few weeks. I don't have time to read every thread that is posted on this forum, so it's inevitable that we'll miss some things. If. You see anything that breaks the rules, you should report it and it will be dealt with - it only takes thirty seconds to do.

The reason why we call this the "largest Wii U community in the world", is because it's a fact that we are the biggest Wii U forum at the moment and it's impossible to prove that we are the best forum. It doesn't mean that we don't care about quality.

As for warnings, we do give them out fairly regularly and there are quite a lot of users who have been warned at some point. However, I don't tend to give out a warning whenever someone breaks a minor rule, otherwise pretty much everyone here would have had one. For example, with the pony images posted in the atheism thread, I didn't give put any warnings, as I didn't feel that warning every user who spammed updates achieve anything. However, if you guys think we are too lenient at times, I'm happy too start being more harsh on users who break rules.

I appreciate this GREATLY and would like you to not be too harsh with some posts because some of us (especially the chat regulars) are good friends who like to joke with each other :D and i did defend you guys if you look above....i know from being a team captain in robotics IT'S very hard to keep people from breaking the rules and doing things they ought not too
  • CNR likes this

wjapt2.jpg

#16 PyroKinesis

PyroKinesis

Boo

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

I appreciate the responses guys. On the issue of reporting however, I have reported things in the past, but there is no visual conformation that the item in question has been reported. It says "sending report" at the top of the page, then fades out. Does this mean the report has gone through?

#17 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

Haven't you only been here three months?

Did I ever state I needed senority? The fact that newer members want to make this seem like its of significance is what usually causes rifts in communities. Senority or lack of isn't effecting this issue.

Edited by Noonabites, 31 December 2012 - 03:31 PM.

#18 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

POPULAR

Now now, let's not talk about how long we've all been here.
Being an old member shouldn't make you above or below the rules, you need to abide by them as much as people who just signed up and made two threads because they got excited.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#19 SolxBurst

SolxBurst

Okami Amaterasu

• Writers
  • 630 posts
  • NNID:SolxBurst
  • Fandom:
    Okami, Fire Emblem, Legend of Zelda

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

POPULAR

I appreciate this GREATLY and would like you to not be too harsh with some posts because some of us (especially the chat regulars) are good friends who like to joke with each other...

I agree. Forums are about everyone having a good time as much as being about having good discussions and a professional appearance. I have developed friendships through these forums that rival those that I have in real life. I have become a part of a podcast, I have begun writing for Wii U Go, and I have had so many good times while I have been here. If mods get too harsh on here, no one will want to be a part of the community. Its all about fun, the Wii U, and games. As soon as this changes, the community will take their business elsewhere.

Any who, I agree with Zinix completely. If more people reported (preferably with specifics [links, time, etc]) it would make the mods jobs a lot easier.

True. There is also a button right next to the "MultiQuote" button that says "Report". That helps too I'm sure. Sending them messages when things happen helps, and don't just expect them to find out. All sorts of things help, but the main thing is if you want action, you need to just let them know.

Edited by SolxBurst, 31 December 2012 - 12:10 PM.

2jd1178.jpg

"...A well written villain is a hero in his/her own world..."

#20 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

POPULAR

To be honest, it doesn't matter how long you've been here. You could of been here since the very beginning and still be a crappy poster.

Intelligence and quality posts should only matter.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!