Photo

Why I'm not even slightly excited about the Wii U.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 Wowfunhappy

Wowfunhappy

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:10 PM

I'm a huge Nintendo fan. I'm probably one of the few people left who still uses a Wii as his console of choice. And yet, I'm not at all excited about the Wii U. Don't get me wrong, I fully intend to buy the system, if just for the first party titles. but I'm not looking forward to it's release.

It's partly because I just don't care about better graphics. Like, at all. The Wii looks fine as far as I'm concerned. 90% of the games I play on it are made by Nintendo, and thus use highly stylized graphics. These games look perfect as they are; I honestly don't think that any amount of additional processing power could make them look better. If you've played Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, or Metroid Prime 3, you probably know what I'm talking about.

But the fact that the Wii U will be more powerful doesn't mean that games will look any WORSE than they currently do, right? Maybe I'm upset that Nintendo is taking the focus off of motion controls. I may be the only one, but I think motion controls are awesome. Yes, the original Wii remote was imprecise, and thus sort of stupid, as it wasn't really able to track your movements accurately enough for most types of gameplay. But if you've played Wii Sports Resort, you already know how much better it is with Wii Motion Plus. Sword fighting was awesome. As was skydiving. As was Table Tennis. The Wii Remote tracks ALL of my movements when I play. I want to see that incorporated into more, future games. Heck, I want to see it incorporated into EVERY game. But now, that will never happen. Wii Motion Plus never caught on, and with Nintendo moving to a new console with it's own controller, it never will.

Another thing I don't like about the Wii U: this stupid controller. It's big. It's clunky. It's heavy. It uses two circle pads instead of joysticks (the circle pad on the 3DS is amazingly easy to use and precise. That is, when compared the the PSP's stupid nub. When compared to a true joystick it sucks). Oh, and it has this screen on it. Nice, but why is this so good as to be the focus of the entire console? After all, I already have my TV. Why is it worth sacrificing comfort for a heavy, clunky, overly large thing? If Nintendo abandons the Wii Remote, a controller that fits my hand perfectly and feels more natural than any other input device I've ever used, I will be VERY upset. And clearly, that is what Nintendo plans to do.

And it seems 100x more gimmicky than the Wii Remote ever did.

A lot of people point to the DS, and how useful two screens are on that console. It's not that the two screens are helpful in and of themselves, but it's a great way to maximize on the space available to a portable console. The DS has two screens that fold against each-other, meaning that you can have twice as much screen space per amount of pocket space used.

On a home console, I've got my TV. I don't need another screen.

The only reason Nintendo is putting out a new console this early is because of how much steam the Wii has lost. I think the Wii was just never given a chance. No, not the original Wii, with an insensitive controller that was always making mistakes. The new Wii, so to speak, which is able to track every subtile movement of my hand perfectly, and truly immerse me in the game world.

I think the main problem with the Wii is that it was ahead of it's time, a console with a strong vision that did not, at the time of it's release, have the technology to support it.

Now the technology is here. But almost no one has made use of it. Because of the Wii U, no one ever will.

#2 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:18 PM

Not to be rude, but why exactly did you make an account here if you aren't interested in or going to get a Wii U?

Edited by NinjaShock, 11 July 2011 - 06:22 PM.

#3 Wowfunhappy

Wowfunhappy

Goomba

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:33 PM

I was hoping to start an interesting discussion... I WANT to like the Wii U, because I'm a huge Nintendo fan. I just... don't get it... as most people seem to.

#4 Boba2007

Boba2007

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

Alright...

First of all, I've never really seen someone complain about a system having BETTER graphics...
Second, Nintendo has said several times they aren't focusing their games on the graphics, and they aren't taking focus off motion controls, Skyward sword relies heavily on motion controls and wii motion +.
Also, if you haven't seen, Wii U's controller uses motion controls a lot too, and so does the 3DS, showing Nintendo isn't giving up on motion controls.

Next, I've heard on both IGN and Gamespot that the controller is lighter and more comfortable than it looks, and Gamespot said that they are more like joysticks than circle pads.

IGN is rarely excited for a Nintendo console, or really anything Nintendo, but they say that they love the Wii U.

And the last thing I have to say is... You're talking about how they're pretty much giving up on the wii's motion control system, when the Wii U ALSO uses wii remotes.

I think you need to do more research.

#5 Reaper Pin

Reaper Pin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Legend of Zelda Etc.

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:53 PM

Totally agree with Boba. Also you do realize that Nintendo has been working on this since the Wii was released? It's not like they just look at the Wii and the sales of the Wii and say "Oh, look, the Wii isn't selling so good now, let's do magic and come up with a console,concept, and design in one second!" No, they have been looking at this console right after the Wii was released.
Also, this isn't an interesting conversation, it's a corversation that does not make sense and clearly shows that you haven't done research and that you are not a "Huge" Fan of Nintendo at all.

Edited by Blade, 11 July 2011 - 07:58 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Pong

Pong

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:40 PM

-The Wii U controller is light.
-Only one person is aloud the new controller anyway, every one else has to use a Wii Remote Plus or the Wii Motion Plus peripheral. (Unless they choose to sell them separately.)
-This is the longest gap between Nintendo Consoles.
-Not much was said about the Wii U so hype runs out quickly.
-It is a powerful Wii with a new controller.

Edited by Pong, 11 July 2011 - 10:55 PM.

#7 Dementis

Dementis

Blooper

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:46 PM

It's partly because I just don't care about better graphics. Like, at all. The Wii looks fine as far as I'm concerned. 90% of the games I play on it are made by Nintendo, and thus use highly stylized graphics. These games look perfect as they are; I honestly don't think that any amount of additional processing power could make them look better. If you've played Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, or Metroid Prime 3, you probably know what I'm talking about.

If it looks just as bad as the Wii the console would be dead within the first year of release.

Maybe I'm upset that Nintendo is taking the focus off of motion controls. I may be the only one, but I think motion controls are awesome. Yes, the original Wii remote was imprecise, and thus sort of stupid, as it wasn't really able to track your movements accurately enough for most types of gameplay. But if you've played Wii Sports Resort, you already know how much better it is with Wii Motion Plus. Sword fighting was awesome. As was skydiving. As was Table Tennis. The Wii Remote tracks ALL of my movements when I play. I want to see that incorporated into more, future games. Heck, I want to see it incorporated into EVERY game. But now, that will never happen. Wii Motion Plus never caught on, and with Nintendo moving to a new console with it's own controller, it never will.

Developers are allowed to use the Wiimote if they want to, it's a matter of choice. If they want, they can use the Classic Controller. And second remotes may not be sold or widely affordable, so wiimotes will be needed in local multiplayer.

Another thing I don't like about the Wii U: this stupid controller. It's big. It's clunky. It's heavy. It uses two circle pads instead of joysticks (the circle pad on the 3DS is amazingly easy to use and precise. That is, when compared the the PSP's stupid nub. When compared to a true joystick it sucks). Oh, and it has this screen on it. Nice, but why is this so good as to be the focus of the entire console? After all, I already have my TV. Why is it worth sacrificing comfort for a heavy, clunky, overly large thing? If Nintendo abandons the Wii Remote, a controller that fits my hand perfectly and feels more natural than any other input device I've ever used, I will be VERY upset. And clearly, that is what Nintendo plans to do.

Nintendo have some of the most ergonomically controllers I've ever held. You know when someone hasn't used it when they say it's clunky and heavy and awkward to use, because pretty much everyone who's held one has claimed it feels comfortable and natural and light. The slid pads are needed for economical reasons. I am absolutely surprised that most people can look at the image and still have it rooted in their head that joysticks would be better. It would be impossible for that to be uncomfortable because your thumbs would be forced into a position that is pretty much impossible for them to be in for more than a few seconds without being in pain.

A lot of people point to the DS, and how useful two screens are on that console. It's not that the two screens are helpful in and of themselves, but it's a great way to maximize on the space available to a portable console. The DS has two screens that fold against each-other, meaning that you can have twice as much screen space per amount of pocket space used.

On a home console, I've got my TV. I don't need another screen.

Actually, I think it is that two screens are helpful. You're saying they were useful because you could... fold them and put them in your pocket? How does that in any way make it a good idea for two screens? Could you imagine that?

-Iwata asks-

Iwata: Tell me, how did you come to the conclusion that you should use two screens on the DS?

[Other Guy]: Well, most people believe that it was created to help make things easier, like sorting your inventory without pausing - this isn't true though - it was actually designed so when closed it would easily slip into your pocket, and we decided to put a screen on the top flap.

Iwata: (Laughs)

No. It's based on the idea that it helps make a game more helpful and allows new kinds of games.

The only reason Nintendo is putting out a new console this early is because of how much steam the Wii has lost. I think the Wii was just never given a chance. No, not the original Wii, with an insensitive controller that was always making mistakes. The new Wii, so to speak, which is able to track every subtile movement of my hand perfectly, and truly immerse me in the game world.

The Wii U is late. Usually Nintendo release a new console every five years. It'll be released about 7 years since the Wii.

I think the main problem with the Wii is that it was ahead of it's time, a console with a strong vision that did not, at the time of it's release, have the technology to support it.

Now the technology is here. But almost no one has made use of it. Because of the Wii U, no one ever will.

As I said earlier, devs can still use it. Sony has nicked it with the Playstation Move and they're not just gonna give up on it, and the same with Microsoft and the Kinect, motion control is so very alive.

I was hoping to start an interesting discussion... I WANT to like the Wii U, because I'm a huge Nintendo fan. I just... don't get it... as most people seem to.

You won't get an interesting discussion, because most of your opinions have been proven wrong and people disagree with you.

#8 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:09 AM

If it looks just as bad as the Wii the console would be dead within the first year of release.

Developers are allowed to use the Wiimote if they want to, it's a matter of choice. If they want, they can use the Classic Controller. And second remotes may not be sold or widely affordable, so wiimotes will be needed in local multiplayer.

Nintendo have some of the most ergonomically controllers I've ever held. You know when someone hasn't used it when they say it's clunky and heavy and awkward to use, because pretty much everyone who's held one has claimed it feels comfortable and natural and light. The slid pads are needed for economical reasons. I am absolutely surprised that most people can look at the image and still have it rooted in their head that joysticks would be better. It would be impossible for that to be uncomfortable because your thumbs would be forced into a position that is pretty much impossible for them to be in for more than a few seconds without being in pain.

Actually, I think it is that two screens are helpful. You're saying they were useful because you could... fold them and put them in your pocket? How does that in any way make it a good idea for two screens? Could you imagine that?

-Iwata asks-

Iwata: Tell me, how did you come to the conclusion that you should use two screens on the DS?

[Other Guy]: Well, most people believe that it was created to help make things easier, like sorting your inventory without pausing - this isn't true though - it was actually designed so when closed it would easily slip into your pocket, and we decided to put a screen on the top flap.

Iwata: (Laughs)

No. It's based on the idea that it helps make a game more helpful and allows new kinds of games.

The Wii U is late. Usually Nintendo release a new console every five years. It'll be released about 7 years since the Wii.

As I said earlier, devs can still use it. Sony has nicked it with the Playstation Move and they're not just gonna give up on it, and the same with Microsoft and the Kinect, motion control is so very alive.

You won't get an interesting discussion, because most of your opinions have been proven wrong and people disagree with you.

Pretty much what this guys said and everything else people said.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#9 giggity3000

giggity3000

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:20 AM

You obviously didnt go to E3.
The Wii U is light.
It's not uncomfortable it actually feels good when playing games.
Nintendo are not gonna give up on motion controls when Wii motes are invovled in games.
Having more power can enhance the games in a way for example, When you play you're favorite wii Game don't you wish it could be longer and that it would never end? Answer- 25 GB disc, higher processor for more Ai's, larger enviroments, and you never have to pause when switching weapons again.(unless you playing without the TV then i don't know how you would switch without pausing, Resident evil 5 style mabye?)

Don't underestimate Nintendo when it comes to fun.

1367065580450s.jpg

#10 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:21 AM

If the origional poster had done a bit more research he'd know that the controller it pretty comfortable, and surprisingly light. It's annoying when people make topics without researching to see if the claims they're making are true.

#11 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:28 AM

The controller may seem gimmicky at first but if you stop and think about it, it could do some awesome things. RTS games like starcraft will be better suited for the touchscreen. The wii u tablet will make browsing through inventory in games easier for games like Legend Of Zelda and Darksiders. Even ign has a couple ideas it could be used in a game like Batman Arkham City. The controller may be used as a gimmick like the wii remote has been used is most wii games (sadly) but the possibilities with the controller are amazing.

I also i have to say that because the wii was such a weaker console compared to the ps3/360 it missed out on a lot of great games. Great games like Final Fantasy, Bio Shock, Red Dead Redemption, Batman Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed and more. With the wii u's extra power we could get these kind of awesome games and nintendo could make there games even more awesome. Have you seen the zelda tech demo, it looks awesome and when a actual zelda game come out it would be awesome as well no matter what style it is in. This also includes nintendo's other franchises.

The controller has motion controls built in to it which can make some interesting control schemes while still using All THE PAST WII ACCESSORIES INCLUDING THE WII REMOTE, WII MOTION + AND WII REMOTE +. The only thing that i could see you not being excited about are the games announced so far would be understandably, but even with that not everything that is in development has been revealed yet.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#12 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:59 AM

While everything else has been mentioned by other people, let me talk about graphics for a minute.

I perfectly share your opinion on graphics; developers should focus on making them unique, not 'perfect.' I honestly believe that the Gamecube/Xbox was the peak of graphics, where they did not have to improve them any more to be considered good. Look at windwaker for an example.

However, there is something not quite the same thing as graphics that still needs to be improved on Ninty consoles... The resolution.
The Wii has fine graphical capabilities. The problem is that the image is stuck at 480p, IIRC, and that is a very small picture. Go look for screenshots from the Dolphin Emulator of Smash Bros. You'll probably notice a huge difference in quality. All from the image size.

To me HD is worth it. The larger image not only makes it look better, but it improves clarity as well. Hate to keep bringing up smash bros, but I was playing it with some friends on a projector during exams (Was stuck at school), and it sometimes got confusing as to what was going on. Having HD would have fixed all of that.

So, even if you don't care much for graphics, at least accept HD as a great improvement. If not for the better looks, but for the clarity :D
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#13 Mukkinese

Mukkinese

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:41 AM

I think it is pretty unlikely that Nintendo will abandon motion controls or the Wiimote, they built a huge market on these things, after all. They will still keep making quality games, it is part of their core business to do so. If anyone can come up with new and interesting uses for the second screen it will be Nintendo, so i wouldn't worry too much. Nintendo will make sure the loyalists that they have are well served on the Wii U, even if they seem to have dropped the ball lately with the Wii.

#14 MaskMidget

MaskMidget

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • Fandom:
    Super Smash Bros., FUNimation

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:13 AM

Put some thought and research before ranting about something.

Another thing I don't like about the Wii U: this stupid controller. It's big. It's clunky. It's heavy.

Especially if you never played it.
Posted Image

This signature contains one word: LOL

#15 Randomite

Randomite

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:51 AM

Especially if you never played it.

Maybe he had an air Wii U controller, I mean I know a lot of people who have air guitars myself included. Maybe Nintendo are trying to tap into that market too by releasing such a device.

Edited by Randomite, 13 July 2011 - 05:52 AM.

#16 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:37 PM

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Posted Image

#17 Aaron Barton

Aaron Barton

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

Starcraft on Wii U? NO THANKS!

Did they do it on N64? Yes. Was it stupid? Guess :)

More on topic though -I agree that this guy didn't really do all his research, but I think we're going overboard jumping on him for it. My opinion on the Wii U so far is that it's very unproven, and I understand where he's coming from as far as lack of excitement. However, if I had the same misconceptions as he did, I'd think Wii U sucked too.

He's on a Wii U forum. Instead of insulting him, can't we just offer the discussion he was looking for? Point out why the console is different due to what you know about it, and how what you know may alleviate his concerns. So what he didn't have all the details. This isn't politics people, it's video games lol.

#18 SomeRandomGuy

SomeRandomGuy

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Fandom:
    NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, Wii, 3DS, Wii U

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:06 PM

When I first heard about the Wii U, I didden't want it...
Then I realized how epic it is. (nothing to do with grafix)
No signature here....

#19 Aaron Barton

Aaron Barton

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:24 PM

When I first heard about the Wii U, I didden't want it...
Then I realized how epic it is. (nothing to do with grafix)

Posted Image

#20 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

*Reads topic title*
If your not the slightest bit excited about the Wii U, then why are you here? No, I'm seriously asking, why are you here?
This forum is for people who are planning to get the Wii U at launch or a few months (maybe even a year.), but those people will buy it.

I hope that we the forum people here can convince you to buy one.

Oh, one thing: Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!