Derpy Hooves

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Hi guys, this is my first post here.
I'm not sure if what I have here would be classified as a 'defect' or just me being picky, so with that in mind I'm going to discribe to you my issue.
My D-pad seems... faulty? Let's say I'm playing NSMBU, I like the classic feel so I use the D-pad instead of the analog stick, anyway, I'll be running in the right direction with my thumb fully pressed down. Everything works fine. But when I ease off the pressure just a bit Mario stands still even though my thumb is still technically holding down the right arrow, but goes back to normal when I apply more pressure. I have also noticed this issue in the other directions as well, even at the Wii U home screen. Though it seems the right arrow is giving me the most trouble, followed by the down arrow, and then the left and up arrows are about the same. To me it sounds like I'm being picky, but I did just buy a $350 system and I would hate for it to be defective so that's why I'm here asking.
Also I added about 2-4 drops of rubbing alcohol into the D-pad's right arrow (This has fixed a button on my phone in the past), but had no luck here. Speaking of which, is that hazardous to the gamepad or any internal components? I applied the alcohol and waited about 70 minutes before I powered the console back on......
So yeah just concerned about gamepad....
Any input about the D-pad would be MUCH appreciated.
Thanks.

#2 Sage

Sage

Chronicler

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • NNID:ViralLight
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda, Splatushi

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

The contact pad might be torn (or out of place), this is usually caused by wear and tear and unneeded pressure.

Edited by Viral Light, 02 January 2013 - 09:53 PM.

#3 Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

I got it brand new so I doubt its torn,
What would you suggest doing?

#4 Sage

Sage

Chronicler

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

Well if it is the contact pad and I'n not say it is, there is no way to fix it without opening it up and re-positioning it (which is more trouble than it's worth and voids warranty) you can contact Nintendo and see what they can do. I mean it could be something else, but I'm not sure what.

#5 Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

I could more than likely swap it for another system at walmart but is it really worth it?
And how could nintendo tell if I open the system? Like is there a way they know without a doubt?

#6 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

dont tell them all that story... tell them that the D-PAD is loose and if you dont press it all the way down, the characters on the screen dont react properly or at all...

Edited by Orion, 02 January 2013 - 10:23 PM.

#7 Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Thanks for the input so far. I'm split between these 2 options it looks like, I could return it to walmart, but I would lose all my data including Nintendo ID.
Or I could open the system and re-position the contact pad.... I found a video on Youtube and it looks pretty easy. He takes the entire thing apart, I would only have to remove like 1 or 2 things heres the video if you think I could do it.

#8 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

Post a video. You could be picky.
I know the psp had the same problem with the square button and right arrow. Ot was the pad being offset because of design and the screen/space.

But also the wii u controls are on or off. There is no inbetween like the ps3.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#9 Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

I'll post a video of my problem...after watching the dissasemble video I realized I don't have Y screw driver -.-.
So thats out f the question, unless, these are easy to aquire.

*EDIT* So the first 3 times I tried to upload the video it said an error has occured, then I tried the basic uploader, it told me you aren't permitted to upload this kind of file...
Any suggestion? I believe it's in MP4 format... it's only like 40mbs

Edited by Derpy Hooves, 03 January 2013 - 12:55 AM.

#10 Sage

Sage

Chronicler

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

I think I know what your talking about, you can press it down normally until it clicks and nothing, you have to apply full pressure for it to work, is this right?

#11 angelo07stang

angelo07stang

Boo

• Members
  • 521 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Metroid, mariokart

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

just return it for a new 1 why do a butcher job I say return it or send it in to nintendo for a new game pad swap or repair.
Posted Image

#12 Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

I think I know what your talking about, you can press it down normally until it clicks and nothing, you have to apply full pressure for it to work, is this right?

Well, kinda, I'll press it down and it'll click and go in that direction, but if I release a little pressure he stops moving even tho my thumb is pressing down the arrow.
But yeah what you said is the closest so far.

#13 Sage

Sage

Chronicler

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Well, kinda, I'll press it down and it'll click and go in that direction, but if I release a little pressure he stops moving even tho my thumb is pressing down the arrow.
But yeah what you said is the closest so far.

Ah I think I know what's going on, the buttons are digital and not pressure sensitive which requires full contact. In other words you have to be completely pressing down all the time.

#14 Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Ah I think I know what's going on, the buttons are digital and not pressure sensitive which requires full contact. In other words you have to be completely pressing down all the time.

So would this be considered normal behavior?
I'm being picky more less?

#15 Sage

Sage

Chronicler

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

So would this be considered normal behavior?
I'm being picky more less?

Yeah that's what it looks to be, I should have stated this off the bat but I didn't want to write any other possibilities off.

ps. I like your avatar.

Edited by Viral Light, 03 January 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#16 Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Yeah that's what it looks to be, I should have stated this off the bat but I didn't want to write any other possibilities off.

ps. I like your avatar.

I just find it odd that some directions require less pressure than others.
Can you relate to this as well?
And thanks, 2 of my favorite things.

#17 Sage

Sage

Chronicler

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

I just find it odd that some directions require less pressure than others.
Can you relate to this as well?
And thanks, 2 of my favorite things.

It could be slightly out of place, I recommend you continue using it see if it gets sorted out or if the problem becomes worse. At this point I don't think it's worth returning or opening up.

#18 Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

It could be slightly out of place, I recommend you continue using it see if it gets sorted out or if the problem becomes worse. At this point I don't think it's worth returning or opening up.

Alright thanks, as for the alcohol I mentioned in my first post, no harm done?

#19 Sage

Sage

Chronicler

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

Alright thanks, as for the alcohol I mentioned in my first post, no harm done?

If it did any damage it would have shown instantly.

#20 Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

If it did any damage it would have shown instantly.

So speakers, vibration motor, things of that nature weren't affected negatively by it? Just trying to make sure I didn't screw anything up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nintendo, wii, game, pad, defect, buttons, problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!