• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 omghom

omghom

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

I'm not talking about having trouble connecting to my router, so PLEASE do not tell me to input my IP manually and bla bla bla DNS server bla bla bla...

What I'm talking about here is my Wii U not being able to maintain a stable connection to my router, even though they're not farther than 38ft apart. I get 2/3 signal strength, which I believe is acceptable, but WHY can my Xbox 360 (which gets 1/4 signal strength) that is currently sitting right next to my Wii U, can keep a steady connection that does not drop every 10 seconds? Am I the only one having this issue? All of my devices can connect without hiccups, all except my iPod (4th gen) which drops the connection every 20 to 30 minutes, but it IS an old device, let alone it has a weaker WiFi antenna than your standard notebook PC and it only drops out when I'm really far from the router, farther from where my Wii U currently resides.

Is my hardware faulty? Should I try fiddling with my router settings? What the F**K Nintendo?

I'm this close to selling my Wii U. The only fun I've had with it was taking it out of the box and setting it up. Everything else has been mind-blowingly irritating.

#2 Stephen

Stephen

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Fandom:
    mario, mariokart, minecraft

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Not to be annoying or anything, but you should try and input the connection manually, and If you have done that already, is the signal better?
Also,Its worth noting that Signal strength on different devices varies, And is made up randomly by different companies and often does not mean the overall connection stability you have.
Anyway, It may be Because Nintendo put a weak antenna in the Wii U, try and test it closer to your router and see what results you get.

Posted Image

PM me if you want to add me on 3ds

#3 omghom

omghom

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

It stays connected when the router is 25ft away from the console. Farther than that, issues arise. I've tried everything from changing my router's channels from Auto to Manual, from ch. 6 to 11 then back to 1, inputing the SSID, IP, and DNS manually on the Wii U, all to no avail. So don't even bother with that. Besides assuming my hardware is faulty, what else is there?

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

When does the connection drop?
During games, on the shop or what?

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 omghom

omghom

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

On EVERYTHING. I've seen a lot of other users having the same trouble, but I'm to lazy to register on another forum so that's why I'm asking for help here. The way I know how long it takes for the connection to drop out is opening Download Manager and staring at the top right corner where it says "Connected to the internet" or something similar (I don't have it in English, so yeah), then quickly changing to "Without internet connection". It goes on and off and on and off...

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Mine's got a good constant connection.
Have a look at your router and console to make sure they've got more than enough ventilation, I don't think it's a hardware problem.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 omghom

omghom

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

How far is your router from your console?

#8 Stephen

Stephen

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Any walls between you and the router? Try facing the Wii U in different directions.
you could make a cantenna (may be illegal in some parts of the world)

Posted Image

#9 omghom

omghom

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Cantenna? lolwut?

#10 Stephen

Stephen

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

lol, Siriusly, Probably just a weak antenna. Not much I can suggest other than to somehow move the two closer, Or Buy a WiFi repeater. Sorry for your misfortune.

Posted Image

#11 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Any walls between you and the router? Try facing the Wii U in different directions.
you could make a cantenna (may be illegal in some parts of the world)

How would a home-made antenna be illegal anywhere?

My modem is at most 6 foot from my console, I live in a small apartment.
Why I asked the question earlier is because some firewalls on modems/routers often see some traffic from Nintendo servers as packet spam.
If your router, modem and console are stationary I doubt the problem is range since it's intermittent.
Usually on Nintendo consoles when range is an issue, the internet connection test would fail, but it'll still see your ssid with a low signal quality.

You could try a hotspot if you've got a smartphone.

Edited by Nollog, 03 January 2013 - 03:32 PM.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#12 jdub stl

jdub stl

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

I have the exact same problems with mine losing it's connection everyday. It doesnt't lose it when your playing its after you turn it off then turn it back on later it wont have a connection until i restart my router/modem which is an all ione. the wii u is only maybe a ft away from it. xbox is fine , laptop is fine ps3 is fine my ipod does the same thing as my wii u. It's getting old everday having to reset it just to get on blops2. Anybody have any ideas and what is a wifi repeater?

#13 Stephen

Stephen

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

How would a home-made antenna be illegal anywhere?

Technically, its illegal in some parts of the US under part 15 of the FCC rules? Which says you can't use a modified/homemade antenna unless its gone through manufacture acceptance, But no-one enforces it so people do it anyway :/

I have the exact same problems with mine losing it's connection everyday. It doesnt't lose it when your playing its after you turn it off then turn it back on later it wont have a connection until i restart my router/modem which is an all ione. the wii u is only maybe a ft away from it. xbox is fine , laptop is fine ps3 is fine my ipod does the same thing as my wii u. It's getting old everday having to reset it just to get on blops2. Anybody have any ideas and what is a wifi repeater?

OK, definitely not a distance issue, Have you tried to connect manually?
A WiFi repeater is just something you can buy to "extend" the range your wireless connection can reach.

Posted Image

#14 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Technically, its illegal in some parts of the US under part 15 of the FCC rules? Which says you can't use a modified/homemade antenna unless its gone through manufacture acceptance, But no-one enforces it so people do it anyway :/

lol, that's silly.

Thing about wifi repeaters is they half your speed.
No. of Repeaters/Speed
0: 100%
1: 50%
2: 25%
3: 12.5%
etc.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#15 jdub stl

jdub stl

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

No i never tried to enter it manually. Im not very computer elaborate how do I do that and were do I get he info to enter it in manually. you are talking about ip adress etc...?

Oh yeah thanks for the info on the repeater but it def. seems like I dont need that

#16 Stephen

Stephen

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 290 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

No i never tried to enter it manually. Im not very computer elaborate how do I do that and were do I get he info to enter it in manually. you are talking about ip adress etc...?

Oh yeah thanks for the info on the repeater but it def. seems like I dont need that

unfortunately yes, Here's a support page for manual set up
http://www.nintendo....connect-network click on " how to manually set up an Internet connection" at the side
(UK http://www.nintendo....ons-698965.html )
Hope this helps :)

Edited by stephen, 03 January 2013 - 05:18 PM.

Posted Image

#17 omghom

omghom

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

I can't input my IP manually cause it isn't static. Everytime I reset my router the IP changes :/

How does a WiFi repeater work anyways?

#18 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

My router is 2 levels below me in my garage and has about 4 walls to get through as well and it works fine. Might just be time to upgrade to a better router.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#19 jdub stl

jdub stl

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Im pretty sure mine does that to

I can't input my IP manually cause it isn't static. Everytime I reset my router the IP changes :/

How does a WiFi repeater work anyways?

unfortunately yes, Here's a support page for manual set up
http://www.nintendo....connect-network click on " how to manually set up an Internet connection" at the side
(UK http://www.nintendo....ons-698965.html )
Hope this helps :)

thanks Ill try that, now that i posted about it not working all the time this is 2 days in a row it has stayed connected without a reset, cross my fingers

#20 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, tales, and online games.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Two things you could try one if you can use a cable to test how it works and the other is if you know anyone who has one have them bring there's and test it on your connection or you could try it at someone else's place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!