• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BrightBeing

BrightBeing

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

One of the Wii U's greatest strengths is also a weakness: The TV and the gamepad have separate audio. This is great when you are using a TV audio and the gamepad audio together. But what if you're using headphones in the gamepad for audio only? Then you have some audio you hear, some you don't. Some apps only have audio on the Gamepad in Gamepad Play. Some apps have no audio at all on the GamePad. Nintendo should have made it so that when you plug headphones into the GamePad, ALL audio from the Wii U goes through the headphones.

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

I thought it does.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

I'm pretty sure all the audio goes through my gamepad when I use headphones... :blink:

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#4 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

Game depended.
That's all I have to say. Not up to Nintendo on that its u to each game dev.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#5 BrightBeing

BrightBeing

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

I'm pretty sure all the audio goes through my gamepad when I use headphones...

Just listen to the Wii U main menu as an example. With the TV, the music is complete. Plug in headphones and you only hear the part of the music that is played on the GamePad, not the TV.

Game depended.
That's all I have to say. Not up to Nintendo on that its u to each game dev.

This is also true. But it shouldn't be. Just like achievements shouldn't be dev dependant. Just like online audio chat shouldn't be dev dependant. With devs doing their thing, you get inconsistant features. GamePad mic works for Wii Chat, but not COD. In the future, maybe it will work for another game, but then not another.

Edited by BrightBeing, 12 January 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#6 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

I know that ZombiU supports sound streaming to the GamePad. I plug in my headset then go to the sound settings and switch it to the GamePad. Voila. It's streamed through the GamePad! :D

Posted Image

#7 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Just listen to the Wii U main menu as an example. With the TV, the music is complete. Plug in headphones and you only hear the part of the music that is played on the GamePad, not the TV.
This is also true. But it shouldn't be. Just like achievements shouldn't be dev dependant. Just like online audio chat shouldn't be dev dependant. With devs doing their thing, you get inconsistant features. GamePad mic works for Wii Chat, but not COD. In the future, maybe it will work for another game, but then not another.

But that would be nintendo making a stander for there games. Some devs might not like that.
But ah it doesnt effect me much. Been having things like this happen since videogames where made.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#8 RolledUp20s

RolledUp20s

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

I've got black ops, sonic, Mario, zombieU, trine2. All support audio with headphones in gamepad only. The idea of it though is for devz to add features like zombkeU with prepper talking on ganrpad, audio on tv..but ya can set it to gamepad only. Aliens is another good use, having the beeper and radar on gamepad..gunna be sick that game, can't wait. By the way..have u got 5.1 surround sound? That cud be your issue

#9 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

Well that's crappy, I hadn't tried headphones yet :(

#10 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

But that would be nintendo making a stander for there games. Some devs might not like that.

How do you figure that ? Are you being sarcastic or serious ? Both Microsoft and Sony mandate certain features and there hasn't been any backlash from devs. For example: Trophies and achievements are mandatory. Online chat is standardised. All Xbox Live arcade games have to have demos.

#11 Falconberg

Falconberg

Spiny

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

I've got black ops, sonic, Mario, zombieU, trine2. All support audio with headphones in gamepad only. The idea of it though is for devz to add features like zombkeU with prepper talking on ganrpad, audio on tv..but ya can set it to gamepad only. Aliens is another good use, having the beeper and radar on gamepad..gunna be sick that game, can't wait. By the way..have u got 5.1 surround sound? That cud be your issue

Hold on here! I got sonic racing & a headset (my wife can't stand the announcers voice) & when I plug in the headset I don't get the tv audio unless I play exclusively on the gamepad. I want to play on the tv with all the audio coming through my headset that's plugged into the gamepad. Are you saying there's a way to do this? Cuz I couldn't find one.
-falconberg (Nintendo Network ID)

#12 Hikaruchu

Hikaruchu

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

I found a somewhat convoluted way to do this. You must have some sort of sound board or some way to combine a mini audio cable and Red and White cables. You plug the white and red into your TV's audio out, and connect it to the board. You also get a mini audio cable (the thing that headphones use) with both sides male and plug it into the sound board. Finally you plug your headphones into the output of the sound board.

Posted Image

Edited by samgalagoogoo, 13 January 2013 - 03:12 PM.

Posted ImageMy mii QR code.

#13 RolledUp20s

RolledUp20s

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Hold on here! I got sonic racing & a headset (my wife can't stand the announcers voice) & when I plug in the headset I don't get the tv audio unless I play exclusively on the gamepad. I want to play on the tv with all the audio coming through my headset that's plugged into the gamepad. Are you saying there's a way to do this? Cuz I couldn't find one.

not tried that..if I use the tv then I'll have my sound bar blasting. If the wife has tv then I just play them on gamepad with headphones. The OP was saying the sound wasn't fully supported through the gamepad, which it is....even the home menu sounds..like he said doesn't, it does:) - if u really need headphones for sound but use tv...theres a few options. Like that guy above said, or Bluetooth headphones connected to ya tv out...or there are several special tv headphones..that can do it

#14 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Then why would Ubisoft show ZombiU off at demo's with a headset?

2lvmghw.png

#15 BrightBeing

BrightBeing

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

That's exactly what I want. With Mario, you can do it. Not Sonic, NintendoLand, YouTube, Netflix, Hulu Plus...

I found a somewhat convoluted way to do this. You must have some sort of sound board or some way to combine a mini audio cable and Red and White cables. You plug the white and red into your TV's audio out, and connect it to the board. You also get a mini audio cable (the thing that headphones use) with both sides male and plug it into the sound board. Finally you plug your headphones into the output of the sound board.

Posted Image

Yah... Like anyone wants to do that...

not tried that..if I use the tv then I'll have my sound bar blasting. If the wife has tv then I just play them on gamepad with headphones. The OP was saying the sound wasn't fully supported through the gamepad, which it is....even the home menu sounds..like he said doesn't, it does:) - if u really need headphones for sound but use tv...theres a few options. Like that guy above said, or Bluetooth headphones connected to ya tv out...or there are several special tv headphones..that can do it

That's almost as convoluted as the soundboard option. Why can't a headset plugged into the GamePad work like a headset plugged into the USB of a Playstation 3, or any other console for that matter. When a headset is plugged in, all audio from the system goes to the headset!

I know that ZombiU supports sound streaming to the GamePad. I plug in my headset then go to the sound settings and switch it to the GamePad. Voila. It's streamed through the GamePad! :D

That's great! Ubisoft knows what they're doing! But that won't work for other games and apps without the option programmed in by the dev. This feature should be system wide, not patched in if you're lucky and your dev isn't lazy...

Edited by BrightBeing, 13 January 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#16 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

Posted Image

I would do that... But I don't happen to have the gear needed to do that and I would probably screw it up anyway hahaha

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#17 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Could you use the mic from phone earbuds as a mic for voice chat?

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#18 BrightBeing

BrightBeing

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

Could you use the mic from phone earbuds as a mic for voice chat?

Yes. But that's kind of off-topic...

#19 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Yes. But that's kind of off-topic...

sorry, I just really wanted to know and I couldn't find another topic relating to it. I could've just made that a status update though. Thanks anyway

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: audio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!