Photo

Reckon we'll see a HD Gamepad in the future?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 RolledUp20s

RolledUp20s

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

i know the screen is good enough now..still, after seeing the game on ya TV...you notice abit of blur in some games. i love it though & would deffo buy a new HD Gamepad...i'd pay £100..maybe theyd increase the screen size abit aswel. RETINA ;) in your hands would be the ultimate :)

Edited by RolledUp20s, 15 January 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#2 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:47 AM

i know the screen is good enough now..still, after seeing the game on ya TV...you notice abit of blur in some games. i love it though & would deffo buy a new HD Gamepad...i'd pay £100..maybe theyd increase the screen size abit aswel. 1080P in your hands would be the ultimate :)

I'm pretty sure this has already been discussed in a previous thread. And to answer your question no it's not going to happen for several reasons.

#3 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

I doubt that'll ever happen, but it's a good idea. Maybe we'll see that in whatever the next home console is from Nintendo.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

That's a terrible idea.
Nintendo aren't Sony.

1080p in a 4 or 5 inch screen is as pointless as dressing a duck up in a dress to lay eggs.
The DPI is already higher than a 40 inch TV at 480p

Edited by Nollog, 15 January 2013 - 07:53 AM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 RolledUp20s

RolledUp20s

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

That's a terrible idea.
Nintendo aren't Sony.

1080p in a 4 or 5 inch screen is as pointless as dressing a duck up in a dress to lay eggs.

the one now is 6''...why 4/5''? the ps vita is 5'' but has a better screen. i'm sure you could fit a bigger screen in..with better res.

terrible idea? improving a screen? the wiiU should be to last atleast 6yrs now...i'd hav thought a new gamepad in a few years time..would deffo be on the cards, better screen, improved range. its technology, it advances..

..i may have phrased it wrong saying 1080p, but what i meant was like iphone retina display

Edited by RolledUp20s, 15 January 2013 - 09:13 AM.

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

I thought the screen was 4.6 inch for some reason.

iphone's retina display is somewhere around 720p.
Also pointless on a display that size.

Technology doesn't improve so much it defies the laws of physics.
Wireless signals are based on light waves, the screen is perfect.
The colours are bright, colourful, etc. the dpi is better than a lot of peoples television screens.
Nintendo don't have vested interests in OLED display technology or HD televisions, or even 3D televisions.

Next you'll say they need to add multitouch.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 RolledUp20s

RolledUp20s

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

I thought the screen was 4.6 inch for some reason.

iphone's retina display is somewhere around 720p.
Also pointless on a display that size.

Technology doesn't improve so much it defies the laws of physics.
Wireless signals are based on light waves, the screen is perfect.
The colours are bright, colourful, etc. the dpi is better than a lot of peoples television screens.
Nintendo don't have vested interests in OLED display technology or HD televisions, or even 3D televisions.

Next you'll say they need to add multitouch.

they should add multi touch...actually they NEED to do this.
...oh wait

#8 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

the screen is fine though to say 720p displays are pointless on small screens is a bit harsh a statement you can definitely tell the difference on phones makes text very sharp and everything looks nicer overall.

wii u premium, new super mario bros u, darksiders 2, call of duty black ops 2, zombiu

blue 3ds xl, resident evil revelations, zelda ocarina of time

#9 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

It's certainly possible. Nobody knows what Nintendo is going to do. If they did go through with an HD screen, I see it being Sub-HD.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#10 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:52 AM

New controllers and periferals come out all the time so it could very well happen 3 years down the line as manufactureing costs go down, by then they could probably produce and sell one for the same price as a regular GamePad now.

#11 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:08 AM

I find it pointless... personally....

Gamepad screen is good for options, spell bars, weapon bars... Hd option is a waste of money to spend on.

#12 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:50 AM

Not only is it pointless, its impossible.

The system was designed for a 480p gamepad, not just with fillrate, but in data streaming speed as well. An hd image would not only demand more from the gpu, but the data size being streamed to the gamepad would exponentially increase, and would likely not only need to take more than one report to deliver, increasing lag, but no longer be able to be interleaved decreasing distance from the system.

Edited by 3Dude, 16 January 2013 - 05:54 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#13 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Basically what 3Dude said.

It would require more horsepower to run a higher resolution on the GamePad. I'm perfectly fine with the 480p screen.

Posted Image

#14 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

Like others have said, it most likely would happen, and is basically impossible. However, I don't agree with what some have said about it being useless... Call me fussy, but I can definitely distinguish the pixels quite easily on the gamepad screen, and it's even bugged me a bit when I can tell it's just a 1080p or 720p image scaled down to its resolution and I can see aliasing and other such problems caused by downscaling.

And I admit it would be a waste of money for both consumers and Nintendo, but if it were possible and cheap (or free :P), I would see no reason not to include it. xD

Edited by MatrixChicken, 17 January 2013 - 01:55 PM.

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#15 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Like others have said, it most likely would happen, and is basically impossible. However, I don't agree with what some have said about it being useless... Call me fussy, but I can definitely distinguish the pixels quite easily on the gamepad screen, and it's even bugged me a bit when I can tell it's just a 1080p or 720p image scaled down to its resolution and I can see aliasing and other such problems caused by downscaling.

And I admit it would be a waste of money for both consumers and Nintendo, but if it were possible and cheap (or free :P), I would see no reason not to include it. xD

As someone who owns a Galaxy Note II, I can watch movies on it holding in my hand and its immediately apparent that its 720p compared to my older phone with a smaller screen when it was playing 480p. So yes, you can tell the difference and it IS worth it.

However as you said, there would be no point on Wii U.

For starters, it would take more CPU power in the Wii U to encode a higher resolution video stream. The whole console is designed streaming one or two GamePads at their current resolution. Its already been mentioned that with two GamePads its actually still encoding the same amount of data, is halves the frame rate, giving half to each GamePad. That suggests that the limitations of the data stream is hard coded, so you could just upgrade the resolution on a whim.

I don't know about you, but I can tell the video on the GamePad is a lossy encoded video. Its more blocky, less contrast and very soft looking compared to the TV. Nintendo themselves said it was hard getting the encoding just right so that it didn't ruin the quality, so again it would seem the current hardware is pushed to its limits (with regards to the GamePad video stream) as it is.

Even if you could upgrade the resolution, you would have to consider that only games written specifically for it would look any better as they would have to scale down the graphics to be able to push more pixels of data to the GamePad. Overall, it would just be a pointless excercise. The ONLY time it would really be worthwhile, would be for playing games with the TV off.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#16 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

However as you said, there would be no point on Wii U.

I never said that :o Anyways, I can only guess you meant there would be no possibility of it coming to the Wii U. :P

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#17 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

the wii U gamepad screen is good enough hell it looks better than my tv in most cases.

#18 Eggplante!

Eggplante!

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

I could see GamePad HD coming out in a year or two. It would be a great system upgrade when dual GamePad games become available later this year or in early 2014. Of course, Nintendo's console is already having trouble keeping up with the video end of things as games like Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two chug along with some major framerate issues. With that said, as developers get smarter with console resources, maybe there is untapped power in the console.

Eggplante!com
video games, music, movies, concerts, photography
…and more!

#19 ElderKnight77

ElderKnight77

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Fandom:
    anything Nintendo

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:43 AM

That's a terrible idea.
Nintendo aren't Sony.

agreed not to mention it will eat more memory and CPU (like we need anymore reason to bog it down) power. It's fine for what it does.

the wii U gamepad screen is good enough hell it looks better than my tv in most cases.

I know...sometimes I think the colors look better than my Sharp 46" LED!!!

#20 IPADDRESSROBOT

IPADDRESSROBOT

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

theres no reason for it to be HD dumb thread its HD down sampled to 480p+ so your getting effectivly HD anyways and the gamepads screen to pixel count is higher than a lot of HD tvs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!