Photo

Could Wii U be threatened by the 720 and Orbis?

Specs Wii U Sony Microsoft MS Xbox 720 PS4 Nintendo

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

With all these analyst's talking sh!t about the Wii U and those leaked specs for the 720 and PS4, i'm worried as hell for the future of the Wii U right now

PS4 "Orbis"
AMD x86 3.2GHz APU Solution (Jaguar/Steamroller), 4 cores (2 core pairs), [Higher Clock than X720/Durango]
Maybe AMD 8000 series GPU solution [Customised Solution Possibly utilizing GPU + APU combo]
2-4GB GDDR5
Launch Fall 2013/Early 2014

Explanation: PS4 has a higher clock, but less cores and is using an APU solution (CPU & GPU elements combined onto a single chip). The PS4 has less RAM but is using faster GDDR ram, so the overall performance should be a wash.

Xbox 720 "Durango"
AMD x86 Jaguar 1.6GHZ 8-Core [Targeting one core being dedicated for OS tasks]
AMD 8000 series GPU
ESRAM on the GPU (unknown amount)
8GB Ram DDR3, [1.5GB of RAM likely reserved for the operating system]
Launch 2013

Explanation: 720 has a lower clock, but more cores. 720 has more but SLOWER RAM. DDR3 RAM is usually good for things like multitasking etc....It is expected to be based on Windows 8 as well.

I don't really understand tech talk much so does any of this mean trouble for the Wii U?

link

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

POPULAR

Of course it could threaten the wii u, they're competitors.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

I'm actually starting to lose faith in the Wii U. I'll still play it anyway though.

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#4 nannybuckles

nannybuckles

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Fandom:
    Suda 51, Zombies, A Good Book

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

I love my Wii U but it'll be up to third-party developers unfortunately whether it sinks. Something tells me many are going to abandon the console and Nintendo will have to ride out this generation on strategically timed first-party releases and then be a solely handheld company.
NNID: NannyBuckles...pm me if you add me.
Posted Image

#5 Adders

Adders

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

I'm actually starting to lose faith in the Wii U. I'll still play it anyway though.

Why its still the same system you brought at launch ?

Look a lot of wii u fans are feeling a little down right know, Thats only because when we go to news its its all ways about the wii u not doing well ? The fact is the wii u has had a good launch

and as for the games not being in the top 40 well this is not good news, They make it out that the wii u has no games in top 10, but the truth is there was multiplat games in the chart and some of these game was for wii u

the problem is every one has played there new games and its all gone very quiet right now ... Dont worry you will hear the big guns coming out at E3 and in the mean time there are still games to come out in the launch window that have had a small delay ?

I think that nintendo have definitely got the upper hand at the moment , at E3 microsoft and sony will be focusing on the next launch in the mean time all the big N has to do is smooth over some of the bugs for this system making it even better and bring out some top games...

Keep the faith hang in there

#6 kris1206

kris1206

Blooper

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Look a lot of wii u fans are feeling a little down right know, Thats only because when we go to news its its all ways about the wii u not doing well ? The fact is the wii u has had a good launch

and as for the games not being in the top 40 well this is not good news, They make it out that the wii u has no games in top 10, but the truth is there was multiplat games in the chart and some of these game was for wii u

the problem is every one has played there new games and its all gone very quiet right now ... Dont worry you will hear the big guns coming out at E3 and in the mean time there are still games to come out in the launch window that have had a small delay ?

I think that nintendo have definitely got the upper hand at the moment , at E3 microsoft and sony will be focusing on the next launch in the mean time all the big N has to do is smooth over some of the bugs for this system making it even better and bring out some top games...

This is true, plus not everyone has a U yet. So chart numbers won't be too great until later this year
Posted Image

#7 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

I believe Orbis and Durango will be quite a bit more powerful than the Wii U. However, I don't think the power gap will be as great as it was with Wii and PS3/360. Regardless, even if we see a similar situation unfold, I think the Wii U will hold up just fine. Yes, Wii missed out on a lot of third-party games, but it's library is solid and has many quality titles. As always, it will be up to third-parties to decide what kind of support the console receives. We've seen evidence of Nintendo reaching out to third-parties for Wii U development(Namco/Bandai for Smash Bros. and Platinum Games for Bayonetta 2). This is a good start and there's no telling what other surprises could be heading our way. And, of course, we'll have Nintendo's first-party offerings to look forward to as well. THIS is the primary reason why you purchase a NIntendo console. Anything extra is just a bonus. :D

Edited by Crispy Bacon, 15 January 2013 - 09:55 AM.

Posted Image

#8 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

the leaks are crazy... NO way for 8xx gpu, because 8xx series is not even out yet!!!! it will cost them LOTS to have 8xx series gpu!!!!! In the other hand, I noticed that ps4 specs are a bit of extreme! 4gigs of gddr5? 2-3 gigs of gddr3 is more likely and also xtreme... but nice.

xbox looks slow as wii U. Some better cpu but all the rest the same. Dosnt matter if xbox comes with 4-8 gigs of ram.... It will be for something else, instead of games... Its a console!! It is ddr3... so same performance with wii U. So xbox is more realistic than ps4, instead of the 8xxx gpu... forget about that.

Edited by Orion, 15 January 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#9 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Did you look at the specs?? The Wiiu is gong to get blows away like the wii,

I saw the specs and, yes, I see that they are quite beastly. I think it will come down to architecture more than anything. That's what hurt the Wii. It had nothing in common with PS3/360 and, therefore, that's why many third-parties didn't even bother. If....IF we see third-parties downport games from Orbis/Durango to Wii U, I can see a situation where Orbis/Durango=High/Ultra settings and Wii U=Low/Mid settings. Developers will have to decide if it's worth it or possible to begin with. Of course, I'm just speculating based on what I've read on other forums/game sites.
Posted Image

#10 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

My point proven, Nintendo is D00Med

Why do you use zeros instead of o's?

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#11 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Lmao you nintendo fans have no choice but to resort to insults because you know im right XD

Who's insulting you?
I think you making blanket statements like this are an issue, maybe you could clarify your statements so they are less catch-all.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#12 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

well i'll be first in line for ps4 still a bit undecided on nextbox but i probably will cause i love the gears of war games.

wii u premium, new super mario bros u, darksiders 2, call of duty black ops 2, zombiu

blue 3ds xl, resident evil revelations, zelda ocarina of time

#13 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Ok i make this clear, These specs show that the PS4 and Nextbox are going to be powerhouses,Third partys are going to abandon the Wiiu like they did the Wii, Nintendo suffered major losses and are having problem selling the Wii U as we speak, Interest in the Wii U isnt as big as interest in the Wii was, first party ips won't be enough to keep Nintendo afloat this time video game sales are low,

Do the math Nintendo is finished.

I don't understand.
you're saying the wii had all the problems the wii u has, but it still sold better than the other consoles that did the same as these specs indicate they will again?

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#14 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

POPULAR

Ok i make this clear, These specs show that the PS4 and Nextbox are going to be powerhouses,Third partys are going to abandon the Wiiu like they did the Wii, Nintendo suffered major losses and are having problem selling the Wii U as we speak, Interest in the Wii U isnt as big as interest in the Wii was, first party ips won't be enough to keep Nintendo afloat this time video game sales are low,

Do the math Nintendo is finished.

Posted Image

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#15 Dusean17

Dusean17

Blooper

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • Fandom:
    PATAPON | LBP | DIGIMON | ZELDA | KIRBY

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

Hell yeah the Wii U is threatened once MS and Sony unvel their beasts Nintendont is d00med :P

I doubt that, I am more of a SONY fan than Nintendo but Nintendo will always hold their own easy because of the support from 1st party and the massive advertisment and child focus.

PlayStationUnityampNintendoUnitySingleSi

To visit my Nintendo Channel click the link above, to visit my PlayStation Channel click here.

#16 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

I remember the PS3 being a launch disaster when it first debuted. Yet, here we are and the PS3 is doing very well, selling over 70 million+ units.

The lesson here?

Let's wait and see what happens. Nobody knows what's going to unfold.
Posted Image

#17 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

It's just I fear that most people will go for the Xbox 720 and PS4. The console is great, I love it. Hopefully it will get better as more games come out. I think Scribblenauts Unlimited (coming Feb 8th) might be in the top 40 (fingers crossed).

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#18 A W Reezy

A W Reezy

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, NBA2K

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Something we're going to have to realize is that Nintendo is not here to compete with the likes of the Playstation and the Xbox as far as specifications go. If that were the case, they would've released the Wii U years ago instead of the Wii and now would be on the verge of releasing a system with specs that have been mentioned for both the PS4 and Xbox720. Nintendo is and has always relied on the names of Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc... and will continue to do so in the upcoming years. And so far, they have used this concept and have been successful with it. Only the Playstation 2 and Playstation have out sold Nintendo in the last 20 years. Nintendo has held their own even without great specs in their game systems and I really don't see that trend changing. Especially with the new technology in the Gamepad.

Lmao you nintendo fans have no choice but to resort to insults because you know im right XD

What I'm wondering is why are you even here? You've obviously got your quirks with Nintendo and Nintendo Fanboys, so why hang around a website called "thewiiu.com"?

#19 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

My question still wasn't answered.

Does the specs prove that the PS4 and 720 will have a graphical leap large enough to cause Nintendo to lose third-party support?

#20 The Lonely Koopa

The Lonely Koopa

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 617 posts
  • Fandom:
    Reggie's Body, Nintendo being doomed

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Of course it can as they are competition. But how much is yet to be seen I'm not going say rather the wii U is going to wreck the other consoles in sells or be one of Nintendo worst selling console since the vitualboy each at the moment is possible.

Edited by The Lonely Koopa, 15 January 2013 - 12:54 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Specs, Wii U, Sony, Microsoft, MS, Xbox 720, PS4, Nintendo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!