Photo

Could Wii U be threatened by the 720 and Orbis?

Specs Wii U Sony Microsoft MS Xbox 720 PS4 Nintendo

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 Shogo

Shogo

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

^^ Exactly, Its all about the games not which machine has the most power or best specs. If Nintendo can produce some killer first party titles then all will be good. Don't forget Nintendo has already stated that the second a person purchases a Wii U title they have already made money even with losing out on the initial console purchase.

Not true. It takes more than one game
http://mynintendonews.com/2013/01/08/nintendo-actually-needs-to-sell-more-than-one-wii-u-game-to-profit-from-its-new-console/
Posted Image

#42 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

I think the issues third-parties have with Nintendo stems well beyond power. I believe the N64 was the clear turning point when Nintendo opted to stay with cartridges. Then, with Gamecube, they chose to go with a proprietary disc format that could not hold as much data as a DVD. I also think the Gamecube controller, as awesome as I think it is, turned developers off since its layout wasn't exactly traditional. I will say that power did play a big part in Wii's inability to grab third-party support, though I believe the Wii remote turned many developers off as well. With Wii U, Nintendo is taking big steps to fix some of these issues. We finally have an HD Nintendo console with some great power under the hood, we have an online infrastructure, though not perfect, that is well beyond anything Nintendo has done in the past, and we have a controller that is, for the most part, traditional enough to where third-parties should not feel threatened or intimidated by what it offers.

Sadly, having said all that, I think many third-party developers are looking at Nintendo's efforts now as "too little, too late".
Posted Image

#43 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Nintendo in my opinion will succeed in recapturing the third party developers.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#44 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

http://mynintendonew...ts-new-console/

Either way, How many people do you no that only have one game. Hell i have about 5 wii U games already and i have all the other consoles as well.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#45 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

In-game adds and RROD doesnt scare me!

Signature_DK.png

#46 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:13 AM

Developers don't really want to support something that isn't powerful, the Wii is a perfect example of this. It got no third party support because it was barely more powerful than the original Xbox.
Luckily the Wii U isn't going to be another Wii.

This isnt true, publishers. Large publisher houses didnt want to support the wii.

People need to understand the difference between publishers and developers.

The publishers have chosen.... Poorly, and at first it was the dev houses who couldnt afford the publishers, that have been paying the price for the not good business model they decided to push, but the results are coming down on the publishing houses as well, look no further than thq for your most recent example. As soon as people get tired of call of duty rehashes, ea will go too if something doesnt change. I would not expect another gen like this one. Soon, the healing will begin.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#47 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:49 AM

It very well could, but I'm certainly not gonna lose any sleep over it.

#48 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

http://mynintendonew...ts-new-console/

beleaveable, but teh other consuls are much more likly to sell at a much bigger loss.

#49 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

^^^ True but they dont always sell at a loss. Its usually for about a year or so and after the the components become much cheaper and they start to make money from the consoles.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#50 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Here's something i just found.

It makes me wonder seeing how SONY is in a bad spot right now and that MS is planning bundle Kinect 2.0(which already adds 100$ to the price tag), Smartglass, a Projector ,and AR readers with the 720, how could Microsoft and SONY possibly make a powerhouse console without going over 400$ ?

i can see microsoft doing this (losing more than 50% profit per consul) just to kill sony. but in reality, it wont happen without major finacial losses.

eather A, nintendo will be hurting. if they do, they are then likly to learn and come out with something near the top end of the next-next gen. B. more likly but nintendo survives and still does fine.

the specs. id say probly BS too. but both jumped on the 8xxx chips. claims have the 8xxx chips as better in every was than 7xxx chips and sell for a cheaper price. something that will probly turn out to be BS unless input costs for 8xxx is cheaper for the developers by enough as well. but even then they can still raise the price to push out more money. xbox id expect graphics to be a slight buff over nintendo because of kenict 2.0 current adds have it inbetween xbox and 360 graphics, and that was with the still beleaveable 6xxx GPU. 8xxx buff to counter that is belaveable except for the price range.

anyone see early leak rumor specs for wiiU, and the last 2 gens, compared to what they actualy are. my guess would have the leaks 2-3x more powerful than the consul really ended up being.

#51 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Nintendo in my opinion will succeed in recapturing the third party developers.

You sir are very optimistic

#52 Eskimo_sam

Eskimo_sam

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

ofcourse it is wii u wont win this one

#53 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

So true the Wii U doesn't stand a chance....That is until Zelda Wii U, Retro's untitled game and Smash Bros. U comes out :D

#54 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:23 AM

win no. but then again, they dont compete vary hard for winning. they more often do their own thing. and microsoft is the only one that has a chance to outlast them. but currently it would take at minimum 2 failed generations to kill nintendo. wii wasnt a failed generation. if the first 1 fails they are likly to do something different with the next consul than the failed one.

#55 A W Reezy

A W Reezy

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, NBA2K

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:30 AM

So true the Wii U doesn't stand a chance....That is until Zelda Wii U, Retro's untitled game and Smash Bros. U comes out :D

Exactly. Nintendo's reputation with first party games will more than enough carry them over the threshold. Unless they just really screw up the next Zelda, Maro Kart, SMBU, 3d Mario, etc... games, then Nintendo will keep on trucking. And I don't see them screwing up any Zelda games on non-handheld consoles.

#56 ElderKnight77

ElderKnight77

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Fandom:
    anything Nintendo

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

Great software almost always makes up for hardware. A great example is the 3DS, which despite having lower specs (Dual-Core 300MHz-1GHz ARM11 CPU, PICA200 GPU, 128MB FCRAM) than the PS Vita (>1GHz ARM Cortex-9 Quad-core CPU, SGX543MP4 GPU, and 512MB RAM) has more compelling software. It is also a great example of how system specs don't necessary translate in superior software.(since the 3DS still pumps visuals nearly as well as the Vita IMHO)

#57 Paz

Paz

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

I think its most definitely a wasted opportunity for Nintendo not to capitalise on the head start.
Iwota actually stated that Pikmin 3 was delayed to spread out 1st party releases because 3rd party were supporting the U at launch - very arrogant way to think. most 3rd party titles were ports of games that were released on other formats - not exactly cuttng edge strategy.

ZombiU's a fine game but a world away from a system seller. Nintendo's simply got complacent. sold huge amounts of Wii's by releasing rainbowware for it and got away with it and thought they'd magically repeat the process.

lazy. lime light has gone already. so they'll release info some solid franchises that i'll be over marketed and i'll have to wait 2 years to play.

Don't get me wrong, since getting the Wii U again Im really enoying it - but guess what? I need more 1st party games THAT ALSO impress - more sales, more games - more competitive with Sony and MS when it comes to developer focus.

threat? Very much so, it'll get shadowed then the rainbowware will start....

****i most definitely wasnt calling it rainbowware....*******

Edited by Paz, 18 January 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#58 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Posted Image

LOL super funny

#59 xBASSxMONSTAx

xBASSxMONSTAx

Blooper

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Nintendo Legends

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Orbis aka PS4 is the least threatening.

Sony are already up to their old tricks again. Apparently their ditching the famous dual shock controller and are in the process of making a new gamepad with a touchscreen in the middle... Hmmm, I wonder where they got that innovative idea from?

Heres a leaked pic of their new controller:

Spoiler

Edited by xBASSxMONSTAx, 18 January 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#60 Gnomishek

Gnomishek

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

The only threat to the Wii U is Nintendo itself. Me, I still don't see any reason to buy it. There are simply no games that apply to someone like me. But should they deliver, say, ZELDA and, man, neither 8GB RAM, neither a GPU of extreme powers will matter.

Edited by Gnomishek, 19 January 2013 - 01:07 AM.

Молоту войн и рокоту гроз вольные рати верны, где ветром могучим из братины звёзд рунные стяги пьяны.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Specs, Wii U, Sony, Microsoft, MS, Xbox 720, PS4, Nintendo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!