• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#41 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

... quote didnt work. almost missed what you said.

there is confirmed at minimum 1 unnamed game for wiiU being developed on cryengine 3.

so some people assumed it was retros project. so possible, but i still hope they made there own quality engine, but cryengine 3 optimized spacificly for wiiU by them would also be nice.

i hope for MP, or a new IP. starfox and f-zero would work if the team is big enough to support 2 games in development at once. no DK contry, id offload that to one of the main nintendo developers.

#42 Eskimo_sam

Eskimo_sam

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

yeah its deffinatly metroid cryengine or not it will look good dnt expect much more than ps360 graphics but it will look good

#43 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

yeah its deffinatly metroid cryengine or not it will look good dnt expect much more than ps360 graphics but it will look good

Retro makes their own engines.

The cryengine 3 game is most likely sniper.

Edited by 3Dude, 01 February 2013 - 02:20 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#44 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Yeah, I don't see Retro using anything other than Nintendo's proprietary engines. Now, I can see them using third-party development tools like Havok, but those are more of a support for the primary engine that powers the game.
Posted Image

#45 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Yeah, I don't see Retro using anything other than Nintendo's proprietary engines. Now, I can see them using third-party development tools like Havok, but those are more of a support for the primary engine that powers the game.

Yesh. Retro has used a heavily modified havok for physics since nintendo begun their partnership with havok with the gamecube. (it must be extensively modified, as i dont recall seeing the havok logo in the primes, but its in smash bros and gheist etc.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#46 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

I know the thread's been dormant for a while but don't want to make new threads :P

Would it be a very far stretch to say that Retro Studios is working on an open-world Pokémon rpg?
I'd never put the two together but come to think of it, I wouldn't mind it, at all. How much of a system seller would this be? (Only Pokémon games I bought were Red and Stadium but this idea still appeals to me)

I'm now hoping this is the case (including a new IP still). As much as I like the Metroid Prime series, they've made the trilogy, move to a different franchise.
They've done first-person action-adventure, then rebooted a 2D side-scrolling platformer, time to tackle open-world RPG!

#47 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

I could see an open-world Pokémon RPG being very successful on Wii U.

However...

If this is what Retro is working on, I'll be very disappointed. I want to see Retro make a game that will make the Wii U shine and blow people away. I don't see Pokémon fitting into that scenario. (Not knocking on Pokémon, btw... :) ).

Personally, I want a new 3D Metroid. Not a Prime game, but a new Metroid adventure, more or less, in the same style.
Posted Image

#48 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

If this is what Retro is working on, I'll be very disappointed. I want to see Retro make a game that will make the Wii U shine and blow people away. I don't see Pokémon fitting into that scenario. (Not knocking on Pokémon, btw... :) ).

You might not see that, but the beautiful thing is, Retro Studios might and if they do, being the developers they are, they will succeed.
Wouldn't it be much more amazing if you're blown away by a game that you don't expect it from.
Pokémon with Zelda HD demo-style graphics?

#49 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

I have no doubt that Retro can tackle any project that is set before them and make it sing. Pokémon is simply a franchise I never got into, so it wouldn't appeal to me. But hey, if that's what Retro is working on and it turns out to be spectacular, then that's great for Pokémon fans. :)
Posted Image

#50 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Please no Pokemon. Please no Pokemon. I would not be interested in this in the slightest. Nintendo themselves have stated that it is a mobile game for their mobile platforms, hence the title of the game.

I really hope they are working on something that will have a little more broad appeal.

#51 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

I have no doubt that Retro can tackle any project that is set before them and make it sing. Pokémon is simply a franchise I never got into, so it wouldn't appeal to me. But hey, if that's what Retro is working on and it turns out to be spectacular, then that's great for Pokémon fans. :)

Fair enough, my preference goes out to a new Star Fox game actually.
I really enjoyed the first Pokémon gameboy release but I haven't seen anything worth buying another one after that really, maybe just hoping Retro can breathe new life into it.

#52 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Star Fox would be a great franchise for Retro to jump on. I'd be cool with that. The fact that we know nothing about their project is frustrating. The anticipation for E3 is killing me.
Posted Image

#53 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

It would be a more "logical" project for them to work on as well tbh. In the end I think I don't actually care what they are working on, I expect it to be awesome anyway.

#54 Phanto

Phanto

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • NNID:Phanto

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

The fact that "stylized" graphics were mentioned scares me. When Nintendo did a cartoonish Zelda I was 100% on board. That universe fits the sylized cartoonish look very well, but when you start talking about a cartoonish Metroid game, you've lost me. The Metroid franchise just works best with realistic graphics, and an epic story.

If Retro is working on a Metroid game, and it turns out to be a "stylized" game, I will have a very hard time justifying the purchase. I will probably buy it and I might even enjoy it, but unless they can really impress me with gameplay/story I will find it hard to get past the cartoonish look.

#55 TheSparrow87

TheSparrow87

Thwomp

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

The fact that "stylized" graphics were mentioned scares me. When Nintendo did a cartoonish Zelda I was 100% on board. That universe fits the sylized cartoonish look very well, but when you start talking about a cartoonish Metroid game, you've lost me. The Metroid franchise just works best with realistic graphics, and an epic story.

If Retro is working on a Metroid game, and it turns out to be a "stylized" game, I will have a very hard time justifying the purchase. I will probably buy it and I might even enjoy it, but unless they can really impress me with gameplay/story I will find it hard to get past the cartoonish look.

How does stylized = cartoonish? It just means non realistic, like a fantasy world, like the Metroid universe.

Edited by TheSparrow87, 26 February 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#56 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

Metroids ALWAYS been stylized. I think you have the wrong idea of what the word means. The Prime games are HEAVILY stylized. Windwaker is as well, but as an attempt at a drawn/animated style, and even within that style are GIGANTIC night and day differences.

Posted Image

Posted Image

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#57 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

I want them to do something that they want to do, like Nintendo just said, "Here's the hardware and some cash. Do stuff with it." As great of a job as they did with Metroid amd Donkey Kong, we've yet to see what they can do when they aren't tied down to a franchise.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#58 Death Stare Obama

Death Stare Obama

Spiny

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Fandom:
    My balls

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

I hope its new IP. Nintnedo needs some new IP. Probably metroid tho. Not saying im mad but new IP would be nice. Regardless I'm buying the next retro studios game on wii u

eKsvghU.jpg

#59 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

I hope its new IP. Nintnedo needs some new IP. Probably metroid tho. Not saying im mad but new IP would be nice. Regardless I'm buying the next retro studios game on wii u

Nintendo doesn't really need new ips, but they need to do things with the ones that haven't been seen ina while. Where's my 1080 Snowboarding in 1080p?

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#60 Death Stare Obama

Death Stare Obama

Spiny

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Fandom:
    My balls

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Nintendo doesn't really need new ips, but they need to do things with the ones that haven't been seen ina while. Where's my 1080 Snowboarding in 1080p?

XD
Yeah we should get that :D.
Lets all email nintendo to do that :P

eKsvghU.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!