• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 golf1410

golf1410

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

I just researched about external hard drive and found sometuing out about USB 3.0 external hard drive.
Like I said, do not put it close to wii U because of interference. Believe it or not the USB 3.0 external create electromagnetic signal that can interfere both 2.4 and 5 Ghz. It is effective interference on 2.4 Ghz but a little bit on 5 Ghz band but if you put it close enough, it may interfere the connection between gamepad and console.
Wii U use 2.4 Ghz to connect to WiFi and 5 Ghz to communicate with gamepad. The document that I have provide you is the a study from Intel.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2013-01-26 14.18.34.png

Attached Files

#2 WaddleDee

WaddleDee

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Hmm, mine is pretty much glued to the Wii U and no issues so far.

I'll move it out of the way a bit as a precaution, though.

Thanks for the heads up

#3 bornsupercharged

bornsupercharged

Blooper

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Forza, Gears of War

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

The ONLY possible side effect would be reduced range, that's it. Mine is literally on top of my Wii U and I don't have any problems.
Posted Image

#4 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Same as above, Mine sits on top of my console and haven't had any problems at all. The range is still the same as before i had the hdd.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#5 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Not a big deal. There is tons of other stuff that can drop the range.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#6 Zonark

Zonark

Blooper

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Pretty sure the dude that wrote that article from intel wasssmoking crack. He was then terminated for filing such a claim fcc regulations states that hdd are to except disruption interfere not transmit it. Thus the hdd would have problems not the wiiU

#7 golf1410

golf1410

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

Pretty sure the dude that wrote that article from intel wasssmoking crack. He was then terminated for filing such a claim fcc regulations states that hdd are to except disruption interfere not transmit it. Thus the hdd would have problems not the wiiU

There is also another reference that macbook pro retina may be caused interference by usb 3.0 itself as well and they refer what intel said.
"It is critical that the receptacle connector shield be connected to a metal chassis or notebookenclosure through grounding tabs or screws. The receptacle connector should have a back-shield to ensure that the receptacle connector is fully enclosed. The USB 3.0 receptacle should also make good contact to the PCB ground by providing sufficient number of ground tabs to ensure a low impedance path to PCB ground. The USB 3.0 receptacle connector should have a robust mating interface to the shield of the USB 3.0 plug when it is inserted. Providing a grounding spring/tab on the top side of the receptacle connector, in addition to the grounding springs on the sides, is recommended."
In other words, if the connector looks cheap it probably is, and you can expect Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/usb-3.0-hard-drives-can-cause-wi-fi-interference

#8 Zonark

Zonark

Blooper

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

True true moral of the st ory don't cheap out with your peep out or you will have some collateral damage

#9 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I'll take it into consideration when I buy mine.

#10 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:20 AM

There is one "flaw" with the logic here.  USB 3.0 might interfere, but the Wii U is only using USB 2.0 even with a USB 3.0 drive, so its not running on the same frequencies.

That said, its not very sensible to keep a hard drive on top of the Wii U anyway as the metal casing will be blocking some of the WiFi signals.

Its also ALWAYS a good rule of thumb to use good cabling.  That has nothing to do with USB 3.0 and everything to do with the fact most digital communication relies on a good earthed shield to prevent RFI getting INTO the cable and causing errors.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 30 May 2013 - 03:22 AM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: interference, hard drive, external

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!