Photo

Good neutral but not so cheerfull article about WiiU...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

I read this article, and tried to read it from a business point of view. Not as a gamer and not as a Nintendofan. It actually pretty much sums up what we already know. Sure, just last week Nintendo came up with news. But are great first party support enough to counter the lack of thirdparty. And if 3rd party continue to neglect our beloved system, how long can Nintendo support it on their own and a few other studios. Is there a break-even point where Nintendo can actually stay supporting the system for several years, how many systems do they need and how many gsmes should be sold? Anyway, i don't want this to be another negative 'Nintendo is doing bad' topic. Just wanted to share this:

http://business.fina...uble-for-wii-u/

Edited by Lupaie, 29 January 2013 - 10:49 AM.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#2 Hikaruchu

Hikaruchu

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

I can't be sure that this will apply to everyone, but most of my friends who tried the Wii U at my house said they would probably buy one. About half of them were people that were convinced the Wii U "was for kids". I defiantly think that manny people are going to try the Wii U.
Posted ImageMy mii QR code.

#3 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

this makes me really sad :( i see a trend with third parties. a lot of them say, when asked about bringing their games to the wii u, that nintendo has a unique consol or something along the lines of that. which i think is just bs way of saying "we are not porting our games bc we dont want to be bothered to make something for a system like that when we can be lazy and just create it for a system that uses a basic controller"

i think nintendo should give out more "incentives" to the third parties so they can make stuff for their systems. idk if thats what microsoft and sony do but it seems like nintendo has to. it would really help out their system and i guess it would make more thirds want to come to the wii u as well hopefully,

the more third party games that come to the system, the more likely that people will buy the system bc thats wat it seem most people are complaining about. i guess you can consider is an investment for the third party devs. (one way to look at it)

to be honest, i want to say that the third parties are just being lazy but im pretty sure that there are other factors that i dont kno about that going into puting a game onto a certain console.

Edited by Cozmo, 29 January 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#4 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Unlike the Wii, Nintendo aren't forcing devs to use the gamepad since they offered the pro controller. So I think the excuse of "we couldn't think of a good use for the gamepad" is dumb. Like Cozmo said im sure there are lots of factors involved but mainly I think it's down to:

Devs being lazy
Nintendo scaring off 3rd party support with Wii
The competition from Nintendos first party games

Edited by Hunter, 29 January 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#5 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Unlike the Wii, Nintendo aren't forcing devs to use the gamepad since they offered the pro controller. So I think the excuse of "we couldn't think of a good use for the gamepad" is dumb. Like Cozmo said im sure there are lots of factors involved but mainly I think it's down to:

Devs being lazy
Nintendo scaring off 3rd party support with Wii
The competition from Nintendos first party games

The pro controller is not a standard controller. It splits the Wiiu target even further. But...the could use the pad without extra function.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#6 Expansion Pak

Expansion Pak

Enlightened Fanboy

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • NNID:Koopamann14
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon the Series: XY and PS4

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Studios are scared of being mocked because they ported their games to console that has "Wii" in the name.

I shower you with coconut cream pies.

#7 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Studios are scared of being mocked because they ported their games to console that has "Wii" in the name.

This I don't believe. I think the explanation is that if few 3rd party developers develop for the system, there will be a small gamer base, which means that it's not profitable to develop for the system. Of course, if every 3rd party developer would develop for the system, it would be profitable. My point is, the decision to develop or not is made by the individual companies, but the individual companies can't decide that every other company should develop!

#8 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

This I don't believe. I think the explanation is that if few 3rd party developers develop for the system, there will be a small gamer base, which means that it's not profitable to develop for the system. Of course, if every 3rd party developer would develop for the system, it would be profitable. My point is, the decision to develop or not is made by the individual companies, but the individual companies can't decide that every other company should develop!

exactly. if more and more third party games were to come to the wii u then more people would buy it and their games.

#9 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

I think it's a good thing that 3rd party developers are being cautious about the wii u. It hopefully means we won't end up with all the 3rd party shovelware that was on the wii.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#10 WaddleDee

WaddleDee

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

I think it's a good thing that 3rd party developers are being cautious about the wii u. It hopefully means we won't end up with all the 3rd party shovelware that was on the wii.

A lot of those titles were wrong 3rd party games. What everyone means is games like Battlefield, Tomb Raider. Whatever the big developers make.

It's really important, too. Obviously the Wii U will do well in Japan but I fear for it in NA/EU.

And I don't really feel like buying Orbis/Durango to play 3rd party games simply cause they're not on the Wii U.

Edited by WaddleDee, 29 January 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#11 WreckinMachineX

WreckinMachineX

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

It's unfortunate but Wii U needs all the support it can muster, even shovelware. But I think the real problem is that Nintendo can't land any exclusive 3rd party support targeted at mature gamers. Nintendo's exclusives are fine for the Nintendo fanbase, but to attract new fans we need our own Gears Of War and God Of War. Basically games that end with "Of War".

#12 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

This sucks, Nintendo's going to have to revive alot of older franchises or make some new ips, if their not going to push devs for long-term support.

It seems that the major factors are that people ignores how edgy Nintendo was during the Gamecube years and instead see them in a family friendly kiddie image that the Wii brought on them something that can be undone, however i fear that the Wii has left nintendo with the wrong impression that their current image and (judging from Miyamoto's reaction when asked about F-Zero a while back) Mario and Zelda alone will be enough to support them with the Wii U which it won't.

Edited by Big Bowsy, 29 January 2013 - 08:05 PM.

#13 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

I still have high hopes that the third-parties will see what the Wii U can do and come around eventually. Besides there may be more third-party content at E3 2013.

It's unfortunate but Wii U needs all the support it can muster, even shovelware. But I think the real problem is that Nintendo can't land any exclusive 3rd party support targeted at mature gamers. Nintendo's exclusives are fine for the Nintendo fanbase, but to attract new fans we need our own Gears Of War and God Of War. Basically games that end with "Of War".

Mario of War....Day one buy!!!

Posted Image

Signature_DK.png

#14 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

I still have high hopes that the third-parties will see what the Wii U can do and come around eventually. Besides there may be more third-party content at E3 2013

i hope so. i really hope so....

#15 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

What did miyamoto say about Fzero?

#16 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

What we have here is make a game for consoles with 70 million + available customers or make a game for approx 3 million potential customers. 3rd party developers will eventually start bringing games to the Wii U, Let Nintendo inject a good healthy dose of 1st party AAA titles to boost the sales up then the customer base grows then we will start seeing the games flow.

Nintendo has said multiple time that they are talking to 3rd party developers and said they will support the 3rd party developers.

The night is darkest just before the sun comes up.... (and in this case the sun is the sun from teletubbies with Miyamotos smiling face shimmering down on all the Nintendo fans)

#17 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

What did miyamoto say about Fzero?

he was basically shocked he thought no one would care about the series, in fact here's the quote

Game Kult: After a quick survey on Twitter, one of the games French gamers miss the most is F Zero. Nobody really understands why Nintendo hasn’t made a new one since 2004. Is there a chance we can see it back on Wii U?

Miyamoto: [eyes open wide] I am really pleased to hear Twitter’s opinion, because since the first episode on SNES many games have been made but the series has evolved very little. I thought people had grown weary of it.

I’d like to say: Thank you very much and try to wait by playing Nintendo Land’s F-Zero mini-game.

I am also very curious and I’d like to ask those people: Why F-Zero? What do you want that we haven’t done before?

Nintendolife

Edited by Big Bowsy, 30 January 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#18 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

Sometimes people don't want change, they'll just ask for an update. Look at Banjo....the fans didnt ask for something complety new

#19 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

If Nintendo are indeed taking with third-party devs, i hope one of those devs are EA and Bioware :P

#20 WreckinMachineX

WreckinMachineX

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Mario of War....Day one buy!!!

If you pre-order at gamestop you get the exclusive flamethrower and early access to the games new team deathmatch multiplayer mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!