Photo

Anyone else seen input lag on Wii mode virtual console games?

Wii mode input lag virtual console

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ninbend0

ninbend0

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Has anyone else noticed input lag when playing Virtual Console games in the Wii mode of the Wii U?

For example, on Super Mario World it takes ~0.3 sec between pressing the jump button and Mario actually jumping, which makes the game almost unplayable.

I have a new Samsung UE40ES6800 LED TV running in PC mode. The Wii U is connected by an hdmi cable. I measured the input lag of the TV using the gamepad and a camera (see Use the gamepad to test your HDTV lag - Wii U Forum - Page 1) and the TV is only lagging behind the gamepad by 1 frame (17 ms) in Wii U mode, so that is fine.

Normal Wii games also seem to work fine in Wii mode, only the virtual console games have this game breaking ~300 ms lag.

Most virtual console games suffer (those in 50 Hz), but a few work OK (those in 60 Hz). For example, those that don't work are 50Hz games like Super Mario Bros (NES), Super Mario World (SNES) and Super Mario 64 (N64), but 60 Hz Super Mario Bros 2 Lost Levels works fine.

When I fire up the Wii mode, the text in the top left of my TV says 1920x1080 @60Hz. When I start up one of the offending VC titles the text changes to 1920x1080 50p. What is this 50p? Why doesn't it say @50Hz?

What is my TV doing with this input that is resulting in so much extra lag?

I am coming to the conclusion that this may only be a problem for UK/European/Australian virtual console games running at 50 Hz.

I shall try my Wii U on some of my friends' TVs to see whether the problem is with the TV.

Any thoughts from anyone? Many thanks!

#2 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

While I'm not an expert at this. I do know about problems with game consoles like the Wii and HD tvs having input lag for games. Now, you're saying that the input lag is only coming from Virtual Console games, and no regular Wii games? I'd try adjusting the settings on your television to see if they can fix the lag.

#3 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Thats definately due to pal 50hz vc...

Sorry bro :(

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wii mode, input lag, virtual console

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!