15 replies to this topic

#1 chucklepie

chucklepie

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:11 AM

Hello,
I've had my wii u since release day and I just can't enjoy it. I searched for similar problems from other users but I guess I must be alone in my gripes, hopefully somebody can tell me where I'm going wrong.. :)

It all seemed great: HD graphics, proper joypad, user profiles to separate everything out, etc, but to me everything is just not right. Essentially, I don't mind the now known limitations of the cpu, the lack of games so far, etc I just hate the gamepad/pro controller buttons (not what you think) and the use of save slots.

Controller (gamepad or pro)
I have no issues with the buttons being below the thumb stick, in some ways it makes it more sense given the primary button (A) is opposite to most other controllers and so now despite being the opposite way round it is the first button you get to when you move your thumb down, making it the same layout as say an xbox or PS3.

My issue is with ergonomics and comfort. On my xbox/ps3 when I slide my thumb from the right-analog stick I reach the primary A/Cross button immediately and all three other buttons are just a tiny slide of the thumb. On the gamepad or pro, do the same and you get X not A (i.e. the most used button is not the first you get to) and sliding only gives you Y. To get to A or B you have to do thumb gymnastics, you simply cannot slide your thumb. Either you have to force your thumb into a right-angle or dangle your right hand off the side of the controller. It's not intuitive or quick. I might have big hands, but the goes for the kids with little hands. No matter what layout, the main button A should be the first and easiest button to get to.

Profiles
Since the beginning we've had game slots on Nintendo and I've hated them. Mostly because you get three slots and we are all gamers in my house so two people who have to do without. When profiles arrived I thought "get it, saves per person". Crank up Super Mario Bros Wii U and what do you get? three save slots. Why? It's just stupid beyond stupid. Given the majority of releases will be Nintendo games, this is probably the same for all of them :( I appreciate you can swap usb drives, but that's not convenient or intuitive.

Super Mario Bros
While I'm talking about SMB, I love SMB but some things really annoy me on top of the lack of saving to a profile...

1. I can use a wii remote or the gamepad to play single player, so why can't I use the pro? the pro is no different to the gamepad in terms of buttons or controls.

2. When I play 2 players or more (normal multi-player not one making platforms appear) they all have to use the wii remote, why can't I use the gamepad for one of them? On top of that, when you do play just with wii remotes, the screen is still on burning the battery on the gamepad and using up it's life for no reason. You'd think you could just switch it off.

Edited by chucklepie, 03 February 2013 - 06:15 AM.

#2 Jacob

Jacob

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:13 AM

Sounds like you broke your Wii U :P

Edited by Jacob, 03 February 2013 - 06:18 AM.

JxkHfIT.png

#3 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:17 AM

About the profiles:
You have separate accounts for each user on the Wii U. You YOURSELF has got three NSMBU save files. Another user can have their own three. Those save files aren't restricted across the whole console. :)

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#4 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:32 AM

most of the people are complaining without reason. only good one atm is few games, which is expected with any new consul. but power, bear minimum confirmed atm is 2x 360. and most fanboys assums minimum is right, then hear max and claim BS. IGN claimed 5x, and they are overall more reliable than many 1x claims, but didnt say how they got that number.

#5 the gamz girnalizt

the gamz girnalizt

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Fandom:
    criticising nintendo

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:46 AM

About the profiles:
You have separate accounts for each user on the Wii U. You YOURSELF has got three NSMBU save files. Another user can have their own three. Those save files aren't restricted across the whole console.

Actually, it's across all user accounts, so it's not good...

gamz girnalizm all da way

#6 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

Did you even see all the IPs in the latest Nintendo Direct? I suggest you watch it ASAP then you will be blown away by the power of the Wii U.

Signature_DK.png

#7 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

If everyone sold their new systems off because they were "bored" within the first few months, no one would own any systems. All new systems have down time after the initial hype of launch. Over the next several months we will see new updates making changes and additions to the OS and Miiverse, as well as new games and new game announcements. I played the hell out of the games I bought and haven't really used my Wii U as much more than a netflix and youtube box on my TV. I'm not bored with the system, there just isn't much else for me to do on it right now until new games come out. Hang in there man - it will get exciting.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#8 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

First of all you can't use the Wii remote in single player in NSMB U. I do agree that Nintendo should allow us to use either the Wii remote or pro controller. The second screen isn't really needed in single player.

Secondly as to why they don't allow the Gamepad to be used in multiplayer well that's Nintendo's decision and personally I don't red anything wrong with it. May e its to keep things fair by making everyone use the same controller.

Thirdly you do know you can turn the display off in settings when not using the Gamepad.

As for the Gamepad and pro controller I don't have any of the issues you have and its something I guess you will just have to get use to.

#9 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

Actually, it's across all user accounts, so it's not good...

Is it? That's a shame.

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#10 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

Things will get better with updates and it took me a while to get used to the controllers being a 360 gamer for 5 years but once you do it's no problem.

#11 Etkar

Etkar

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

I'm having trouble enjoying it too, that's why I'm buying Black Ops 2 for it next week. :P

#12 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

First of all you can't use the Wii remote in single player in NSMB U. I do agree that Nintendo should allow us to use either the Wii remote or pro controller. The second screen isn't really needed in single player.

Lolwut? Yes you can. Somewhere in the menu, you can switch over to wiimote control. :)

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#13 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

Lolwut? Yes you can. Somewhere in the menu, you can switch over to wiimote control. :)

Not for single player you can't. Single player only supports the gamepad.

#14 Adders

Adders

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Yes you can and here is how you do it

After you select your profile ( last save ) it will give you a option 1-5 players or 1 player Go to the 1-5 players now just select one player and play the game

In the game use the game pad to bring up the options you will see a option just to use a wii remote..

After that the game can use the wii remote as standard

#15 hubang

hubang

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Adders is right, I used the Wiimote mostly when I was playing it.
Nintendo Network ID: hubang

#16 PS3WIIIUfan

PS3WIIIUfan

Blooper

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Silent Hill,Socom,Mario,Zelda,GT

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

i had ps3 360 frist day they came out trust me there was not alote of great games out, but thats with ever console at the start!

hang in there man im sure of great games will be coming to wii u!
Ps3 Ultra Slim 1tb
Ps Vita
Wii U 32gb/Zombiu/Black Ops 2
Nintendo Network ID:S.K_Kulczycky2k
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!