Photo

Criterions Rob O'Farrel talks wii u power, calls out lazy devs.

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:08 AM

http://www.eurogamer...hind-the-scenes

Im surprised Eurogamers Rich leadbetter did this interview, as frankly, when looking at his previous articles, it kinda makes him look like an idiot, particularly when he mentions the 'weak cpu narrative' which eurogamer is pretty much responsible for fabricating by twisting words and even CHANGING what was said by devs in previous interviews... As does the constant surprise and disbelief in his writing as he puts to paper things ofarrel says that weve been saying here a long, long time...

But he did push the article anyways... And i sense something within.... vauge... taking form... is it... Integrity? Hootzpah? It very well may be.

and now, quotes:

"The Criterion team found itself looking at what seemed to be some decent hardware, but without the means to fully access its potential."

"The difference with Wii U was that when we first started out, getting the graphics and GPU to run at an acceptable frame-rate was a real struggle. The hardware was always there, it was always capable. Nintendo gave us a lot of support - support which helps people who are doing cross-platform development actually get the GPU running to the kind of rate we've got it at now. We benefited by not quite being there for launch - we got a lot of that support that wasn't there at day one... the tools, everything."

LAUNCH DEVS GAMES DIDNT HAVE FINALIZED TOOLSETS.

"There's a switch in our build pipeline that says 'use PC textures' and we flipped that and that was all," Hamadi laughs. "I can take no credit for that, it was literally ten minutes' work..."

Clearly, there is no memory bottleneck from the 'slow' main memory.

"Tools and software were the biggest challenges by a long way... the fallout of that has always been the biggest challenge here," Idries reaffirms. "[Wii U] is a good piece of hardware, it punches above its weight. For the power consumption it delivers in terms of raw wattage it's pretty incredible. Getting to that though, actually being able to use the tools from Nintendo to leverage that, was easily the hardest part."

wait for it....

"When they first looked at the specs on paper a lot of developers said, 'Well, you know this is a bit lightweight' and they walked away. I think a lot of people have been premature about it in a lot of ways because while it is a lower clock-speed, it punches above its weight in a lot of other areas," he explains.

"So, I think you've got one group of people who walked away, you've got some other people who just dived in and tried and thought, 'Ah... it's not kind of there,' but not many people have done what we've done, which is to sit down and look at where it's weaker and why, but also see where it's stronger and leverage that. It's a different kind of chip and it's not fair to look at its clock-speed and other consoles' clock-speed and compare them as numbers that are relevant. It's not a relevant comparison to make when you have processors that are so divergent. It's apples and oranges."

Oh my. Lets see that again.

When they first looked at the specs on paper a lot of developers said, 'Well, you know this is a bit lightweight' and they walked away. I think a lot of people have been premature about it in a lot of ways because while it is a lower clock-speed, it punches above its weight in a lot of other areas," he explains.

"So, I think you've got one group of people who walked away, you've got some other people who just dived in and tried and thought, 'Ah... it's not kind of there,' but not many people have done what we've done, which is to sit down and look at where it's weaker and why, but also see where it's stronger and leverage that. It's a different kind of chip and it's not fair to look at its clock-speed and other consoles' clock-speed and compare them as numbers that are relevant. It's not a relevant comparison to make when you have processors that are so divergent. It's apples and oranges."

Yeah. Yup. Gee, this all sounds so familiar.

"You have to think about it and put time and craft and effort and whatever else into it but you have to do that for everything that's worth doing in this business... I think people should either go all-in or not bother."

Yup.

Edited by 3Dude, 14 February 2013 - 05:13 AM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#2 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:17 AM

Dear Criterion,

I love you.

Sincerely, a person who is picking up Most Wanted on Wii U because of the effort you guys put into it.

P.S. Most Wanted looks amazing!

Posted Image

#3 dmann

dmann

Blooper

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:25 AM

Dear Criterion,

I love you.

Sincerely, a person who is picking up Most Wanted on Wii U because of the effort you guys put into it.

P.S. Most Wanted looks amazing!

I agree with you, after reading a few articles, and watching some videos of the dev talking about the game, I really want to get it now :)
Nintendo Network ID: dmann21
3DS Friend Code: 2750-1109-4924

#4 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:49 AM

NFSMW, will certainly be an early bench mark now for other developers and publishing houses to follow suit, and take the extra time and resources to do things right. It will only help them in the long run, cutting corners to save money and time like some early ports can have a huge backlash from media and gamers.

If Aliens Colonial Marines does finally come out on Wii U, I expect it to be polished unlike the disaster that was just released to PS360 .

Edited by Sorceror12, 14 February 2013 - 05:49 AM.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#5 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:49 AM

I suspected that a lot of the criticism the Wii U got was from dev's without final kits to develop with. Which is also why I think when we see next gen engines and Nintendo's new engines for upcoming games later this year into the next few years..people will be like oh hey..that looks nice!
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#6 Invertednarrow

Invertednarrow

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Fandom:
    Rayman, Legend of Zelda, Tim and Eric

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

This is really awesome, I applaud Criterion for this. I'm picking this up day one for sure!

#7 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

very refreshing news

#8 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

Thanks go to 3dude for the breakdown! A day one purchase for me as well.

#9 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

i will probably get this when i get the money....and a wii they put a lot of work to help the wii u and i think that deservs a buy :)

#10 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

This game looks cool but it's EA lol, do I need to have anything to do with Origin to play it?

#11 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

This game looks cool but it's EA lol, do I need to have anything to do with Origin to play it?

im pretty sure all nfs titles use autolog rather than origin. I may be wrong though. They did mention autolog ties into miiverse.

#12 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

EA's the publisher, but its Criterions game. Criterion somehow managed to mantain its sense of being even after being devoured by ea.

No, no origin on Nintendo. It is the first 3rd party game fully integrated into miiverse.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#13 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

This is the best you've brought everyone, 3dude. We all knew that the Wii U needed a different approach in terms of developing for it, but to get it this strong and to the point from a 3rd party is just perfect.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#14 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

It doesn't matter it's all in the actual games. Good on them for doing their job and having a passion and desire to make the best game every time. This isnt going to mean anything in the mind of the haters..... Just go to beyond 3d.

Edited by GAMER1984, 14 February 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#15 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

It doesn't matter it's all in the actual games. Good on them for doing their job and having a passion and desire to make the best game every time. This isnt going to mean anything in the mind of the haters..... Just go to beyond 3d.

True, but Wii U fans are probably going to take notice in a big way and it will get some decent sales numbers. It isn't going to sell systems, but it's definitely refreshing to see a 3rd party dev make the media rounds to praise the WiiU and what it has to offer us in the way of gameplay and visual fidelity.

#16 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Wow! I want to buy this for the effort they gave.

#17 PS3WIIIUfan

PS3WIIIUfan

Blooper

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Silent Hill,Socom,Mario,Zelda,GT

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

will skip out on the ps3 version and get it for wii u! Criterion rocks! :laugh:
Ps3 Ultra Slim 1tb
Ps Vita
Wii U 32gb/Zombiu/Black Ops 2
Nintendo Network ID:S.K_Kulczycky2k
Posted Image

#18 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

so why did Nintendo design the Wii U to be hard to develop for ?

Sony had & still has the same problem with the PS3.

#19 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

Wii U wasn't designed to be hard to develop for. It was designed to be different. yet easy to develop for. but the tools weren't there at launch. They are mostly there now. big difference. E3 will show a couple of titles that make good use of them.

Funny how easy it is to make a great game when you simply take the time to figure out how on the platform you are selling it on.

Mutliplatform games have always taken a stupid approach of "spend effort here, then slap it over here and make easy money." In reality, each platform is its own business opportunity for a developer.

What Criterion is saying is that the system was new and everyone had to deal with the headaches of a new system. but when they actually learned it and discovered it's not a 4 cylinder making peak torque at 3,200 rpms, it is a V8, making greater torque at 1,200 rpms. and then they had to learn the custom GPU, etc.

The reason some games aren't wanted by Nintendo gamers has nothing to do with any issues inherent with the console. It has to do with subpar effort being put into the game.

Criterion has put some effort in.

The result is a game that people want. Period.

Note to all developers currently working on Wii U:

Stop crapping out ports. Craft your game excellently with love and care - and then gamers will love and care about your game.

Especially Nintendo gamers. Once you win their love, you have them for life.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 14 February 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#20 Shogo

Shogo

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

Thank you Criterion for the extra work into the Wii U version of this game. Will definitely get this on day one!
(and yes I have Burnout 2 for the Gamecube, all those awesome crashes...loved it :) )
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!