Photo

Criterions Rob O'Farrel talks wii u power, calls out lazy devs.

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

So basically it's hard to unlock the true power?
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#22 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

Nintendo is busting their asses. If anything its companies like EA and Activision.

Signature_DK.png

#23 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

So basically it's hard to unlock the true power?

No.

It's new. It's different.
They didn't have the tools at first. Different story later.
Not hard. But gpu is custom. And CPU is a totally different deal than ps360, which relied on clock cycles. Wii u CPU accomplishes much more per cycle, but has fewer cycles to work with.
They Had to learn to harness it.
Just like they did with 360 or cell way back when.
wii u is in no way a complicated beast like ps3.

#24 PS3WIIIUfan

PS3WIIIUfan

Blooper

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Fandom:
    Silent Hill,Socom,Mario,Zelda,GT

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

companys need to be more like criterion!they understand whats up!
Ps3 Ultra Slim 1tb
Ps Vita
Wii U 32gb/Zombiu/Black Ops 2
Nintendo Network ID:S.K_Kulczycky2k
Posted Image

#25 ChrisTerror

ChrisTerror

Blooper

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • NNID:ChrisTerror

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:35 AM

I'll say this, Criterion is great, they put real and honest effort into every platform this game is on. I bought this for my Vita for the same reason that im going to also buy it for Wii U and that is Criterion took the vita, even with its low sales and same doom and gloom posts on the Vita forums and they managed to make a near console experience with most wanted on the Vita. The only things it lacked was slightly less traffic and reflections on wet roads, the graphics were beautiful, the frame rate was great, and so on. They are doing the same thing with the Wii U, ignoring the sales numbers, ignoring doom and gloom, and they set out to make their game as best as they could for the Wii U. Loved it on Vita and will buy this day 1 for Wii U, not only because its a great game all around, but also because I will support them for the honest and great work they they have done and not just trying to make a quick buck. Other Dev's can learn so much from a company like Criterion.

#26 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

It's often harder to create something with slighy different tools. For example. I am Dutch, it is easier for me to learn English because it is very different. If I first learn American, then English you'll start of on the wrong foot. Thinking fresh is harder when you go in to it with too much pre-info. A port is already programmed and designed. I think starting freshly on a new console is much easier.

Edited by Lupaie, 15 February 2013 - 12:47 AM.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#27 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

No.

It's new. It's different.
They didn't have the tools at first. Different story later.
Not hard. But gpu is custom. And CPU is a totally different deal than ps360, which relied on clock cycles. Wii u CPU accomplishes much more per cycle, but has fewer cycles to work with.
They Had to learn to harness it.
Just like they did with 360 or cell way back when.
wii u is in no way a complicated beast like ps3.

So devs just have to take time to adjust to the newer architecture?
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#28 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

So devs just have to take time to adjust to the newer architecture?

Well, they needed the final hardware first, which didn't even start happening until the latter half of 2012, with many dev studios not getting it until very late in the year, a la criterion.

Yes they need time to learn the platform, but the fact that criterion was able to put out what they did with only three months with final hardware speaks volumes about the tools Nintendo is now providing.

#29 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Nintendo is busting their asses. If anything its companies like EA and Activision.

Hardly. Nintendo isn't doing anything of the sort. Rather then being aggressive and making deals with third parties to at least bring their games to the Wii U if not make them exclusive they are just sitting back and letting them do what they want and decide whether to support the Wii U and if so with what. Nintendo is being their old stubborn self and not trying to do what they can to garner third party support. Their priorities are totally in the wrong place bringing games like Mass Effect 3 and Batman Arkham City, which are all be it great games, they are ports of old games from other platforms. The biggest third party games of 2013 aren't coming to the Wii U.

#30 taz546565

taz546565

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

bought the vita version it really is a cool game and nice too see a developer not moaning and actually putting some effort in.

wii u premium, new super mario bros u, darksiders 2, call of duty black ops 2, zombiu

blue 3ds xl, resident evil revelations, zelda ocarina of time

#31 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Hardly. Nintendo isn't doing anything of the sort. Rather then being aggressive and making deals with third parties to at least bring their games to the Wii U if not make them exclusive they are just sitting back and letting them do what they want and decide whether to support the Wii U and if so with what. Nintendo is being their old stubborn self and not trying to do what they can to garner third party support. Their priorities are totally in the wrong place bringing games like Mass Effect 3 and Batman Arkham City, which are all be it great games, they are ports of old games from other platforms. The biggest third party games of 2013 aren't coming to the Wii U.

They are making deals with third parties, look at W101, Bayonetta 2, X, etc. That isn't really the problem, and its the publishers they have to contend with. EA/ActiVision don't want to release titles exclusively for the only console where they have to compete with the most successful IP's in the history of gaming and against the most successful publisher who also happens to own the hardware.

#32 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

How are you supposed to know that we are going to be dry on ports? You arent Reggie.

Signature_DK.png

#33 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

They are making deals with third parties, look at W101, Bayonetta 2, X, etc. That isn't really the problem, and its the publishers they have to contend with. EA/ActiVision don't want to release titles exclusively for the only console where they have to compete with the most successful IP's in the history of gaming and against the most successful publisher who also happens to own the hardware.

Wrong. You misunderstood my point. It is a real problem. Yes they are making deals with third parties but they don't have their priorities straight. Those games are not AAA games plus they are actually funding those games and they are essentially second party games. I'm referring to the likes of Activision, EA, Take 2, Square Enix, Capcom, Konami etc. By deals I mean persuading third parties like those to bring their games to the Wii U. Ways they could do that is by providing development, marketing and or publishing dollars. Another way is to invest or buy other probably smaller third parties and bringing their games exclusively to the Wii U.

How are you supposed to know that we are going to be dry on ports? You arent Reggie.

That comment doesn't make any sense. I don't need to know anything that Reggie knows to know that Nintendo is in trouble and there are things they should have been put in place before the Wii U was launched. You're just to blinded and seem to think Nintendo is doing things just fine and can do no wrong when that obviously isn't the case.

#34 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:43 AM

Wrong. You misunderstood my point. It is a real problem. Yes they are making deals with third parties but they don't have their priorities straight. Those games are not AAA games plus they are actually funding those games and they are essentially second party games. I'm referring to the likes of Activision, EA, Take 2, Square Enix, Capcom, Konami etc. By deals I mean persuading third parties like those to bring their games to the Wii U. Ways they could do that is by providing development, marketing and or publishing dollars. Another way is to invest or buy other probably smaller third parties and bringing their games exclusively to the Wii U.
That comment doesn't make any sense. I don't need to know anything that Reggie knows to know that Nintendo is in trouble and there are things they should have been put in place before the Wii U was launched. You're just to blinded and seem to think Nintendo is doing things just fine and can do no wrong when that obviously isn't the case.

Heh, I dont know if there is anything nintendo could ever do to get the cooperation of some of those companies.

I wonder how many of them will still be around at the end of this gen.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#35 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

No I understood your point just fine. You can only lead a horse to water. They can't force publishers to do anything, especially when they are so close to becoming irrelevant

Edit: wow that sounded wrong lol. What I meant to say was what would Nintendo do to woo publishers other than buy them off, which id refer they don't. Publishers are becoming irrelevant and they want to force draconian rules regarding resale and rights management to protect themselves.

Edited by routerbad, 16 February 2013 - 03:57 PM.

#36 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:59 AM

No I understood your point just fine. You can only lead a horse to water. They can't force publishers to do anything, especially when they are so close to becoming irrelevant
Edit: wow that sounded wrong lol. What I meant to say was what would Nintendo do to woo publishers other than buy them off, which id refer they don't. Publishers are becoming irrelevant and they want to force draconian rules regarding resale and rights management to protect themselves.

Well that's kind of what I meant. Nintendo has to create much better relationships with third party developers and give them a reason to release their games on the Wii U. The drastic option would be to buy them off but what would be better is to just get them on their side.

#37 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

Well that's kind of what I meant. Nintendo has to create much better relationships with third party developers and give them a reason to release their games on the Wii U. The drastic option would be to buy them off but what would be better is to just get them on their side.

That's a completely understandable position to have, but take a look at many of the rumors coming out about the next xbox (always online, draconian DRM, no used games, no rented games, no game sharing, etc) and think about who actually wants measures like that taken? A large publisher, on the brink of becoming a less than ideal source of funding as well as creative guidance for digital entertainment, wants to tamp down as many revenue streams as possible and CONTROL platforms, not leverage them. Nintendo's principles don't exactly line up in that respect, because Nintendo have always been able to ensure continued prosperity through creating experiences that leave players satisfied with their purchase. This isn't what publishers want. They have been moving toward annual iterations of the same material without any difference other than storyline or gotcha features, that don't actually expand the experience. They feel threatened by Nintendo, and as such are less likely to work with them, given that those same publishers' ad dollars pay for sites like IGN and Gamespot, you can see where the videogame media get their bias.

Developers, on the other hand, have seemed more than happy to work with, promote, and share excitement for the Wii U. Many of the negative comments that we see quoted by DF, IGN, etc are either mobile developers who aren't worth listening to anyway, but because their title is developer (iirespective of what they develop) media outlets take advantage of the average reader's ignorance and use the line anyway because it fits the narrative. The other people quoted often are "money-men" or talking heads for the publishers, who also have a company line to toe and a narrative to disseminate. Actual, no carp, console game developers have not been so critical of the system, as we've seen. In fact, the only actual developers we've seen being critical of the system have been twitch FPS developers, which is interesting in that that is the one genre Nintedo doesn't really compete.

#38 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

Amazing find dude. It's putting my mind at rest. It's just a shame Nintendo is really stupid when it comes to relationships with third parties. They should spend the time to explain to them about the architecture so they get inspired to do next gen games, and better current gen games, otherwise you get developers walking away thinking "1.24 Ghz?!" or not being able to port their games properly thus having a bitter experience developing for Nintendo....

#39 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

^^^ or nintendo could have just released another 1 or 2 first party titles at launch and console sales would have been higher thus the third parties could not afford to ignore the wii u.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#40 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

Amazing find dude. It's putting my mind at rest. It's just a shame Nintendo is really stupid when it comes to relationships with third parties. They should spend the time to explain to them about the architecture so they get inspired to do next gen games, and better current gen games, otherwise you get developers walking away thinking "1.24 Ghz?!" or not being able to port their games properly thus having a bitter experience developing for Nintendo....

Devs care about machine specs, publishers do not. What makes you think Nintendo is stupid? developers who work with them have nothing but praise for Nintendo. You are following along the same narrative that EA, DF, and Acti have laid out. It's somehow Nintendo's responsibility to make sure 3rd party games end up on their system (it really isn't) and if publishers don't release to the system it has nothing to do with scared, greedy, dying publishing houses, no, it's Nintendo's fault. Yeah that makes much more sense.

^^^ or nintendo could have just released another 1 or 2 first party titles at launch and console sales would have been higher thus the third parties could not afford to ignore the wii u.

That was exactly why they skipped on 1st party releases, to entice 3rd parties to release games while there is little competition from Nintendo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!