Photo

Anyone notice Gamestop is lacking lately?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 NanamiGamerGrl17

NanamiGamerGrl17

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

Anyone notice Gamestop really only sells games from the past 3 or so years? I remember not so long ago they had a bunch of games from years past. Now I go and only see games from around 2010-2013. Plus even with newer games they hardly have any copies. Are people not trading games in as much or is this some new business plan for them? I have been to a few different ones so I can say that it is not just my local GS which is doing this. Just curious if anyone has any idea why this is compared to just a few years ago.

Posted Image

#2 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:36 AM

They do that with GAME here in the UK. I suppose it's just to make way for newer stock although I might be wrong.

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#3 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

Just the other day I asked gamestop If they had anymore copies of fire emblem awakening, they looked at me, laughed, and said "Yeah, check back in 3 months buddy"

I get to meijers and they end up having a copy.

Gamestop has no games.

794144.png?13383682

#4 ChrisTerror

ChrisTerror

Blooper

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • NNID:ChrisTerror

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

I refuse to go to a gamestop anymore for many reasons. Target and best buy have better deals anyways.

#5 NanamiGamerGrl17

NanamiGamerGrl17

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

I refuse to go to a gamestop anymore for many reasons. Target and best buy have better deals anyways.

I would hit those stores more if they were close. Sadly Gamestop is the only thing near me. Curse you Boston

Posted Image

#6 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Just the other day I asked gamestop If they had anymore copies of fire emblem awakening, they looked at me, laughed, and said "Yeah, check back in 3 months buddy"
Gamestop has no games.

I don't think you can use Fire Emblem as an example though as to my knowledge its been hard to fine every where.

#7 CookieEpic

CookieEpic

Blooper

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mostly Cave Story

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

I don't think you can use Fire Emblem as an example though as to my knowledge its been hard to fine every where.

Wait, it's hard to find?Posted Image

86c.gif

#8 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Yea it's all about money. They sell off all the old stock and old games to make room for new ones.

Now idk why your store isn't having a lot of new copies. My store is normally always full of the new stuff.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#9 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Maybe they'll produce more stock when they are dead.

#10 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Anyone notice Gamestop really only sells games from the past 3 or so years? I remember not so long ago they had a bunch of games from years past. Now I go and only see games from around 2010-2013. Plus even with newer games they hardly have any copies. Are people not trading games in as much or is this some new business plan for them? I have been to a few different ones so I can say that it is not just my local GS which is doing this. Just curious if anyone has any idea why this is compared to just a few years ago.

Oddly enogh I was thinking the same earlier this morning. Its real annoying because Gamestop is killing local chains that sell retro games to replace them with new stuff. I guess Gamestop assumes that retro games arent profitablle. I decided to boycott Gamstop a week ago. I never want to walk into that greedy chain again.

Gamestop has no games.

They keep all the games in the back for their employees. The big wigs instruct their employees to lie all the time. It sounds farfetched but all these shinengans have been proven true. However Gamestop corp. always denies it.

Signature_DK.png

#11 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

They do that with GAME here in the UK. I suppose it's just to make way for newer stock although I might be wrong.

GAME'S inventory hurts me lol, I swear mine are Microsoft and Sony eliteists too.

#12 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Gamestop is a business.

You have to think of money generated per square foot of each retail establishment.

If a game from 10 years ago that sells one copy every few months is taking up shelf space from a two year old game that sells a copy every day or week, then it's a no-brainer.

And then you apply this philosophy to the entire store.

You allocate shelf space to the newer games.

simple business.

#13 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

Gamestop is a business.

You have to think of money generated per square foot of each retail establishment.

If a game from 10 years ago that sells one copy every few months is taking up shelf space from a two year old game that sells a copy every day or week, then it's a no-brainer.

And then you apply this philosophy to the entire store.

You allocate shelf space to the newer games.

simple business.

True, but then if their current business model was working they wouldn't be closing up to 500 stores. Companies that fail to tweak or change in this day and age go under quickly. The only thing accomplished by closing stores is saving money short term and prolonging the end result, going out of business. They need to have a massive overhaul from the ground up and reinvent themselves if they wish to remain revelvant.

Edited by Sorceror12, 19 February 2013 - 11:30 AM.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#14 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

True, but then if their current business model was working they wouldn't be closing up to 500 stores. Companies that fail to tweak or change in this day and age go under quickly. The only thing accomplished by closing stores is saving money short term and prolonging the end result, going out of business. They need to have a massive overhaul from the ground up and reinvent themselves if they wish to remain revelvant.

I can guarantee you the need to close stores has nothing to do with not keeping super old games on the shelves...

Digital distribution is one reason Gamestop is facing some struggles. No one wants to run to gamestop when they can lazily buy a game right from their Wii U, Xbox, etc.

(even if they get ripped off in the process...)

Times change and it doesn't always work out for the scope of some businesses.

But consumers have been demanding a continuation of physical media, so Gamestop isn't going anywhere soon.

But they are an example of a company that IS forward thinking. And they have demonstrated that with ongoing work on an online distrubution system and the pre-owned mobile device business.

They are the wrong company to be using as an example of "not changing with the times."

The Gamestop stores near me (two in close proximity to each other) are busting at the seems daily.

No need for reinvention there.

In the grand scheme thought, things often change at the market level. Seems they are doing all they can to keep up. and doing so admirably.

Closing stores isn't delaying the inevitable. sometimes it;s like the pruning of a tree. If a tree can produce so much sap - and some of the branches that used to bear fruit don't anymore, then you trim them, so that the other branches can flourish more. You maximize where there is gain and you cut the unprofitable. In the meantime, you also look for other areas to invest.

A good example of risky business is Sony selling headquarters buildings to gain operating capital. Yet they now owe rent and will have to reinvest even more money down the line to secure a new building. The risk will pay off if their new ventures succeed. but if they don't, Kaz will go the way of Kutaragi.

simply business.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 19 February 2013 - 01:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!