Photo

PS4 still could need used games pass to play.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:12 AM

So with the new comment from Fergal Gara (PlayStation UK MD)

It looks to me line Sony will go with a paid for pass or unlock code to play used games so it's either going to be just the WiiU that plays them without payment???

I knew from various Tweets of peeps in the industry that this was not the end of PS4 used game saga.
Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

#2 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

I don't believe in buying passes for any game bar none! The reason being if I buy a game used or not I should own the damn game and be able to use all of it's features for christ sake! Plus if a company is so damn greedy to charge me to access a game I already own then they dont deserve my money. If you still dont understand me let me make it more simple. A $40 used game plus a pass to unlock it for used play (let's say $20) plus another $30 to play the online features makes the game total $90 used! Even though the pass prices I listed aren't final that's how not good it is. I guess Sony won't be getting my money this generation.

Signature_DK.png

#3 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

I don't believe in buying passes for any game bar none! The reason being if I buy a game used or not I should own the damn game and be able to use all of it's features for christ sake! Plus if a company is so damn greedy to charge me to access a game I already own then they dont deserve my money. If you still dont understand me let me make it more simple. A $40 used game plus a pass to unlock it for used play (let's say $20) plus another $30 to play the online features makes the game total $90 used! Even though the pass prices I listed aren't final that's how not good it is. I guess Sony won't be getting my money this generation.

I...think you're overreacting. A lot. Most online passes are only $5 to $10,and even then if they were to require a $5-$10 used game pass, that would probably include an online play voucher.

Honestly, the whole "online/used game pass" thing doesn't bother me that much so long as it's reasonably low in cost. $15-20 would bother me, but $5-10 is reasonable and fair. After all, the company needs to make money somehow if people won't buy the game new. :shrug:

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#4 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

I...think you're overreacting. A lot. Most online passes are only $5 to $10,and even then if they were to require a $5-$10 used game pass, that would probably include an online play voucher.

Honestly, the whole "online/used game pass" thing doesn't bother me that much so long as it's reasonably low in cost. $15-20 would bother me, but $5-10 is reasonable and fair. After all, the company needs to make money somehow if people won't buy the game new. :shrug:

It's what you call a rant. Perhaps I have been watching too much AlphaOmegaSin. But still,it seems utterly uncalled for. Did I forget to mention day one DLC? I guess one pass is okay but two is stupid.

Signature_DK.png

#5 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

It's what you call a rant. Perhaps I have been watching too much AlphaOmegaSin. But still,it seems utterly uncalled for. Did I forget to mention day one DLC? I guess one pass is okay but two is stupid.

I doubt there'll be more than one pass. Also, day one DLC is completely optional, so...not sure how that applies here.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#6 Invertednarrow

Invertednarrow

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Fandom:
    Rayman, Legend of Zelda, Tim and Eric

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

I for one totally hate the idea passes or whatever Sony and Microsoft are plotting. If I buy the game, new or used I expect the full game with no passes or extra payment (Unless is DLC.) If Sony goes down this route there is zero chance I'm buying a PS4. :/

#7 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

I doubt there'll be more than one pass. Also, day one DLC is completely optional, so...not sure how that applies here.

Don't doubt them for one minute. Also, If I can't use all features on disc for the price I paid the retailer, I don't buy the game.

#8 Mushlikeahusky

Mushlikeahusky

Thwomp

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Fandom:
    Banjo Kazooie

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

If this happens i can see Nintendo winning next gen especially if they have all the 3rd party support. Too bad people are like blind kittens and will buy anything with Halo or God of war pasted on the cover. Microsoft could literally write halo 5 on a cardboard box and it would sell like hot cakes.
Posted Image

#9 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

If this happens i can see Nintendo winning next gen especially if they have all the 3rd party support. Too bad people are like blind kittens and will buy anything with Halo or God of war pasted on the cover. Microsoft could literally write halo 5 on a cardboard box and it would sell like hot cakes.

Apparently Nintendo's cardboard cutout of the gamepad when they were in early design phase sold well too, lol.

#10 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

I for one totally hate the idea passes or whatever Sony and Microsoft are plotting. If I buy the game, new or used I expect the full game with no passes or extra payment (Unless is DLC.) If Sony goes down this route there is zero chance I'm buying a PS4. :/

You guys obviously don't give a damn about taking money away from developers and publishers. Typicall greedy attitude. Its people like you who put developers and publishers out of business. Every game that is sold second hand means leads money that goes to the publisher and in turn the developer of the games. If you can't afford the game new then either wait for a price drop or don't buy the game at all. Otherwise support the game companies by paying the $10 extra to play the game.

#11 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

You guys obviously don't give a damn about taking money away from developers and publishers. Typicall greedy attitude. Its people like you who put developers and publishers out of business. Every game that is sold second hand means leads money that goes to the publisher and in turn the developer of the games. If you can't afford the game new then either wait for a price drop or don't buy the game at all. Otherwise support the game companies by paying the $10 extra to play the game.

Are you daft? This isn't just about supporting developers and publishers, there is an entire subsidiary industry that involves used games. Also, most people are reticent, especially now, to support an unknown quality. If you have to pay to play used, borrowed, rented, etc games the only way you can find out is to play a demo, which are largely not representative of the finished product.

Also, do you think that $10 goes to the developers? I can't even describe to you how naive this is. Do you remember why most of Infinity Ward splintered into a new studio? Because Activision wasn't paying them anything for a game that was the single greatest selling game at release.

And listen, son, you have no place telling anyone here how, where, or why to spend their money. You just come off sounding like you haven't spent a day off the teet.

Every industry in the world has a consignment industry associated with it. People who can't afford expensive clothes but still want to look nice buy consignment clothing. I personally don't see the value in buying all brand new stroller, car seat, bouncer, pack & play, etc for the baby I'm about to have. Should I feel ashamed that I'm not supporting the people who went into those products? No. If they are good products I will use them, suggest them to friends and others, who may or may not buy them new. If I have a game that I say is a must buy to one of my friends and they can't or don't want to find it used, they will probably purchase it new. Word of mouth is still the best way to sell a product hands down, because people trust other people more than advertisements. Consignment industries still work to promote good products, even if they don't directly generate revenue for the producer.

Edited by routerbad, 26 February 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#12 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

To be honest all I ever did before was buy used games, I was a bit of a buggar for it lol, but then I started to think about the damage I was doing as my favourite developers wern't even seeing a penny of my money, so now everey single game I have and buy is brand new, I stopped buying junk and shovelware to save a bit more money and I concerntrated on the developers that actually put a smile on my face with thier awesome games, now I support them and they get paid for thier hard work, so this or a console that blocks used games altogether really dosn't bother me, but I do understand how it would bother others, so I do support used games too :D

#13 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

Not really, all it should do is reduce how much used games sell for thus not effecting the end consumer. The only people/groups who should be affected by this are companies like gamestop who sell large numbers of second hand games.

As apposed to Nintendo fans? How many Marios, Zeldas and Metroids are there now? If anything Nintendo fanboys are the group I find to often be most blind and will defend Nintendo moreso then other fanboys.

Edited by PedanticGamer, 27 February 2013 - 04:57 AM.

#14 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Not really, all it should do is reduce how much used games sell for thus not effecting the end consumer. The only people/groups who should be affected by this are companies like gamestop who sell large numbers of second hand games.

As apposed to Nintendo fans? How many Marios, Zeldas and Metroids are there now? If anything Nintendo fanboys are the group I find to often be most blind and will defend Nintendo moreso then other fanboys.

And game rental services. Borrowing a game from a friend, buying a collection from someone once they are done with it, it still affects the end users.

#15 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

And game rental services. Borrowing a game from a friend, buying a collection from someone once they are done with it, it still affects the end users.

There are ways around it. What I was trying to convey was it is not like some are trying to make it out to be.

#16 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

There are ways around it. What I was trying to convey was it is not like some are trying to make it out to be.

I'm sure there will be ways around it, but they will most likely violate any service agreement you will be forced to accept to access the PSN. It may not be, it'll take time to really see, I hope it isn't, but I can't help look at the issues it presents. It will ensure the publishers more profit, but will limit the consumer's flexibility with the media and the platform as a whole. It also effects other parts of the industry, for better or worse we don't really know yet. I agree with supporting developers who make great games you want to play, but at issue is also whether something you buy is yours or whether the publisher is only licensing the content to you, and whether they are legally within their rights to charge reuse licensing fees on already purchased products.

#17 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

At least Zelda,Mario,and Metroid are origional and sell. Sure beats rehashed first person shooter IPs such as Halo and Gears of War. Just because Nintendo fanboys are the most tested of all fanboys doesn't mean they are the most blind. If anything Xbox fanboys are due to the fact they cant see a game beyond it's graphics and continue to buy a system that has an awful defectivity rate. I had four defective Xbox360s and 2 defective origional ones so I'm done with them. Plus I prefer games where you can fly around with a wing cap anyday compared to a game where you shoot a gun.

I don't mind supporting a game dev that deserves my money but when they go to outlandish schemes to suck my pocket dry thats when they lose my buisness. If any one is greedy it's developers that have a fetish for ideas such as passes and download only systems.

Are you daft? This isn't just about supporting developers and publishers, there is an entire subsidiary industry that involves used games. Also, most people are reticent, especially now, to support an unknown quality. If you have to pay to play used, borrowed, rented, etc games the only way you can find out is to play a demo, which are largely not representative of the finished product.

Also, do you think that $10 goes to the developers? I can't even describe to you how naive this is. Do you remember why most of Infinity Ward splintered into a new studio? Because Activision wasn't paying them anything for a game that was the single greatest selling game at release.

And listen, son, you have no place telling anyone here how, where, or why to spend their money. You just come off sounding like you haven't spent a day off the teet.

Every industry in the world has a consignment industry associated with it. People who can't afford expensive clothes but still want to look nice buy consignment clothing. I personally don't see the value in buying all brand new stroller, car seat, bouncer, pack & play, etc for the baby I'm about to have. Should I feel ashamed that I'm not supporting the people who went into those products? No. If they are good products I will use them, suggest them to friends and others, who may or may not buy them new. If I have a game that I say is a must buy to one of my friends and they can't or don't want to find it used, they will probably purchase it new. Word of mouth is still the best way to sell a product hands down, because people trust other people more than advertisements. Consignment industries still work to promote good products, even if they don't directly generate revenue for the producer.

Thanks for pointing that out bro. Sadly some people are too dense to see that.

All fanboys are blind. However Nintendo fanboys are the most logical. I'm not saying this because I'm one. I read several arguements from all systems and I found the Ninty's to be the most insightful,on the industy more so than Xbox/Playstation/PC/IOS fanboys just sayin'.

Edited by FallenSaturn, 27 February 2013 - 02:23 PM.

Signature_DK.png

#18 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

At least Zelda,Mario,and Metroid are origional and sell. Sure beats rehashed first person shooter IPs such as Halo and Gears of War. Gears of War is a third person shooter not a first person shooter and is extremely different to games like call of duty. Just because Nintendo fanboys are the most tested of all fanboys doesn't mean they are the most blind. No it doesn't, but they often do seem to be. If anything Xbox fanboys are due to the fact they cant see a game beyond it's graphics and continue to buy a system that has an awful defectivity rate. If all they cared about was visuals they would not be playing the 360. I had four defective Xbox360s and 2 defective origional ones so I'm done with them. So.... many have not had that experience, many wouldn't have bought another console after the first one was defective etc, but you did, what am I meant to assume based on that? Plus I prefer games where you can fly around with a wing cap anyday compared to a game where you shoot a gun. Cool, I didn't think we where talking about your preference though.

I don't mind supporting a game dev that deserves my money but when they go to outlandish schemes to suck my pocket dry thats when they lose my buisness. If any one is greedy it's developers that have a fetish for ideas such as passes and download only systems.

Oh yes the greddy developer argument (rolls eyes). How dare they try and make money, you know as they so clearly force people to buy there product (another rolling of the eyes).

Thanks for pointing that out bro. Sadly some people are too dense to see that.

All fanboys are blind. However Nintendo fanboys are the most logical. I'm not saying this because I'm one. I read several arguements from all systems and I found the Ninty's to be the most insightful,on the industy more so than Xbox/Playstation/PC/IOS fanboys just sayin'.

You say your not a blind fanboy, but everything you say suggests otherwise. Furthermore, what about playstation exclusives like Heavy Rain, Ratchet and Clank, Demon's Souls, the Persona games, etc, are they not more creative then another Zelda, or another Mario etc. Nintendo is just rehashing there past at the moment with there ip's. Nothing new has been brought to the table for a very long time, and as far as I can tell only a blind fan boy could disagree.

Answers in bold.

I'm sure there will be ways around it, but they will most likely violate any service agreement you will be forced to accept to access the PSN. It may not be, it'll take time to really see, I hope it isn't, but I can't help look at the issues it presents. It will ensure the publishers more profit, but will limit the consumer's flexibility with the media and the platform as a whole. It also effects other parts of the industry, for better or worse we don't really know yet. I agree with supporting developers who make great games you want to play, but at issue is also whether something you buy is yours or whether the publisher is only licensing the content to you, and whether they are legally within their rights to charge reuse licensing fees on already purchased products.

I was more hinting at other ways like guest passes etc. What i'm trying to put forward is it is to early to judge anything as vague as statements that use the words could for example. :)

Edited by PedanticGamer, 28 February 2013 - 12:03 AM.

#19 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

To be fair to Saturn, every other game on xbox is a shooter of some kind.

Nintendo do rehash their franchises a lot (especially Mario) but they do find ways to make the newest addition to their franchises a different experience from the last. Not saying microsoft never do that, but ive played (and enjoyed) all three gears of war games and they are all pretty much the same imo.

#20 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

Answers in bold.

I was more hinting at other ways like guest passes etc. What i'm trying to put forward is it is to early to judge anything as vague as statements that use the words could for example. :)

Trying to act smarmy does't make you look any smarter. Even if I did make a few errors in my post that doesn't mean you have to rub it in my face with a remote belief that you can prove me wrong. Do you even have manners to debate with?

Signature_DK.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!