BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Since leaving the consoles market Sega has always been a few major third-party supporter of Nintendo consoles and handhelds(hell the first non-Sega console to have a Sonic game was the Gamecube) from having Sonic crossover with Mario to having a few ips exclusive to Nintendo platforms(Billy Hatcher, Madworld, The Conduit), they even build a 3 Sonic games from the ground up for the Wii and made a crapload Sonic games on the GBA and DS, with the graphical difference between the Wii U and PS4 being small could we see even more support from Sega next-gen?

#2 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

I don't see why not. I expect Sega's support to stay strong with Nintendo this gen. Wasn't there a rumor that Sega was going to reveal a new Sonic game this month for all platforms, including Wii U?
Posted Image

#3 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

I don't see why not. I expect Sega's support to stay strong with Nintendo this gen. Wasn't there a rumor that Sega was going to reveal a new Sonic game this month for all platforms, including Wii U?

I heard a rumor that Nintendo was considering buying Sega. Now if only I could find that article...

Off topic:

Your name makes me hungry

Posted Image

#4 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Ahh, here it is:

http://www.nintendol...o_wii_u_and_3ds

Your name makes me hungry

Yeah, me too. :D
Posted Image

#5 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Yeah - I think Sega could return to some of its former glory if they were purchased by someone such as Nintendo do be a 1st/2nd party developer. The problem with my boys from the past and Sega now is that all the best internal talent and teams left with the fall of the Dreamcast. I think if they were smaller and focused on one platform they could get some magic back. Ever since Sammy bought them out, they just haven't been the same. I am excited for the new Sonic however and I believe they will still support Nintendo moving on.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#6 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

The graphical difference between the Wik u and PS4 will not be small, but yes I think their is nearly 100% chance that they will make a game for wii u.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#7 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

The graphical difference between the Wik u and PS4 will not be small, but yes I think their is nearly 100% chance that they will make a game for wii u.

You don't know what the difference is. Even developers been saying with all the great specs it has, we will see more of a jump in the amount of detail we see in games, not overall graphics. I think when we see the first footage of a true next gen game running on a next gen engine and can compare it between the new systems..then we will get an idea..and I think people expecting the PS4 to BLOW the Wii U away graphically will be tremendously disappointed.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#8 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

So the question is do you think sega will make games for the wii u?..... seems like a silly question to ask especially considering how you listed their long history of making games for Nintendo consoles... so for them to just suddenly hop off the Ninty train and stop making games for them all together would be extremely unlikely...

#9 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

So the question is do you think sega will make games for the wii u?..... seems like a silly question to ask especially considering how you listed their long history of making games for Nintendo consoles... so for them to just suddenly hop off the Ninty train and stop making games for them all together would be extremely unlikely...

No, my queston is do you think Sega port all of their future games from PS4/720 to Wii U, Nintendo missed out on alot of games like Virtua Fighter 5.

#10 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

You don't know what the difference is. Even developers been saying with all the great specs it has, we will see more of a jump in the amount of detail we see in games, not overall graphics. I think when we see the first footage of a true next gen game running on a next gen engine and can compare it between the new systems..then we will get an idea..and I think people expecting the PS4 to BLOW the Wii U away graphically will be tremendously disappointed.

i expect it to do that, but if it disnt I would be happy not dissapointed because I want Nintendo to do well. I think we won't see it crazily in graphics, but we will most definately see a difference. Instead of blurry messy textures you will probably get nice smooth HD textures. So you are right there, the difference will be in the detail, which is pretty much what graphics is.

On a seperate unrelated note I hate photorealism hence why I love Nintendo. Photorealistic games in my opinion are boring and unimaginative/uncreative.

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#11 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Nintendo should just do it already and buy Sega, they know they want to, and I think most of us can agree that it would be a good move...

#12 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:43 AM

Since leaving the consoles market Sega has always been a few major third-party supporter of Nintendo consoles and handhelds(hell the first non-Sega console to have a Sonic game was the Gamecube) from having Sonic crossover with Mario to having a few ips exclusive to Nintendo platforms(Billy Hatcher, Madworld, The Conduit), they even build a 3 Sonic games from the ground up for the Wii and made a crapload Sonic games on the GBA and DS, with the graphical difference between the Wii U and PS4 being small could we see even more support from Sega next-gen?

That's pretty cynical to be honest. Judging by even the basic information given by Sony on Wednesday its perfectly evident that there will be a significant difference in performance graphical and otherwise between the Wii U and the PS4. And its not just raw performance that makes the difference but the feature set and various abilities software and hardware wise of the console.

#13 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Considering NeoGAF seem to think the Wii U GPU could have a maximum of 352GFLOPS and the PS4 GPU is supposed to do 1800GFLOPS, it also has four times the RAM and more than double the CPU cores.

Even if:
a) Sony are exaggerating again
B) the numbers are not directly comparable due to differences in architecture

Its pretty obvious that the PS4 WILL blow the Wii U away.

You could probably run a Wii U off the heat alone that the PS4 will kick out of its air vents. ;-)

No amount of wishful thinking will get you round the fact that once they start using all that 8GB of RAM of the next-gen consoles, the game simply won't scale down to 1GB of RAM. In fact that is likely a much bigger problem than the GPU or CPU power.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 23 February 2013 - 03:45 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#14 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • NNID:dragomix
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

You should learn what is RAM used for!

#15 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

You should learn what is RAM used for!

No I think you should. Even assuming the PS3 reserves 1GB of RAM for the OS, the fact is if you target a game for a system with 7GB of RAM, no way will it scale back to 1GB of RAM.

The way you cross-port between different hardware restrictions is to target the WEAKEST platform first, then optimise the versions that have access to better specifications individually. That means either porting from Xbox 360/PS3 (eg Need for Speed Most Wanted), or if the game isn't coming to those platforms they would need to commit to making the Wii U the lead platform from the start.

However there is one big problem there, why would they effectively limit the scope of their game by restricting it to having to run on a low-end 3 core CPU with 1GB of RAM, when they could target a mid-range 8 core CPU machine with 7GB of RAM? A machine that in all likelihood is at least four times more powerful than the Wii U, not even considering its better networking and a HDD for caching data? The simple fact is, they probably wont.

Just look at Skyrim on PS3, its taken them AGES to get the DLC to work because it had less system RAM than Xbox 360. Bearing in mind both those consoles actually have the same amount of total RAM, the difference couldn't have been more than 128MB and likely much smaller than that (they do have to fit GPU data in there after all). Scaling down is just never the way to go, its easier to start again from scratch if you have to do that and we would be lucky for the Wii U to be seen worthy of that kind of commitment.

Even Trine 2 on Wii U the developer have said they aren't certain the PC DLC could be made to work on Wii U as its been optimised a lot to take advantage of PC architecture so is much more tricky to port than the much earlier code the Wii U version is based on.

Of course there is the third option, write a completely independent version of the game for Wii U that has nothing in common (code wise, assets may be shared) with the PS4/Xbox Next versions at all. That is what happened on the Wii and we know how well that went, plus it also costs more. So they would need to see the user base of Wii U as a worthwhile commitment, and even then the game would likely play different to its bigger brother version.

So the Wii U will be fine for what it is, but I have serious doubts that it will continue to get cross-platform releases once they stop developing on Xbox 360/PS3. Fortunately, that is likely several years away from happening.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 23 February 2013 - 04:38 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#16 dragomix

dragomix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 143 posts
  • NNID:dragomix
  • Fandom:
    PC and Nintendo fan

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Mid range 8 core CPU? That CPU is made for TABLETS! Its not mid range, its very low range CPU!

You can scale from 8 to 1 just fine. I dont even think that PS4 games will ever use more than 3-4 GB of ram. All that streaming and downloading in backround must use some resources! Most of that 3-4GB will be textures, and textures are easily scaled! Look at PC games that have High Res Texture packs (Sleaping Dogs, Skyrim, Crysis 2...). Are those textures use more than 1GB of memory? NO! And Crysis 3 already looks better on PC than any next gen PS4 game ever will!

Games are always made for the most powerful system (now PC), and than optimized for consoles!

Edited by dragomix, 23 February 2013 - 05:31 PM.

#17 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

Considering NeoGAF seem to think the Wii U GPU could have a maximum of 352GFLOPS and the PS4 GPU is supposed to do 1800GFLOPS, it also has four times the RAM and more than double the CPU cores.

Even if:
a) Sony are exaggerating again
B) the numbers are not directly comparable due to differences in architecture

Its pretty obvious that the PS4 WILL blow the Wii U away.

You could probably run a Wii U off the heat alone that the PS4 will kick out of its air vents. ;-)

No amount of wishful thinking will get you round the fact that once they start using all that 8GB of RAM of the next-gen consoles, the game simply won't scale down to 1GB of RAM. In fact that is likely a much bigger problem than the GPU or CPU power.

Wow, just no. 1.8TFLOPS will never be achieved on PS4, not anywhere close to that, actually. More system RAM does not give more power, the only reason devs want more RAM is to store more textures. when subdivision would actually yield better results and takes much less RAM. Wii U memory architecture vs PS4 RAM is like Usain Bolt vs Tim Tebow.

Just wait until they have ACTUAL gameplay on ACTUAL PS4 hardware, and I have a feeling you will be very disappointed. It isn't wishful thinking, it's a dose of healthy skepticism along with a little common sense.

#18 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

Why is anyone trying to argue this, the ps4 is obviously the more powerful system, I love Nintendo and the U, but there is nothing to argue about!its like comparing a hybrid car to a Ferrari, their both good for their own things but the Ferrari just has more horse power! And also use 20X the gas and will never be as fast as a customized racecar( PC). And it's f***ing expensive!

#19 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

Why is anyone trying to argue this, the ps4 is obviously the more powerful system, I love Nintendo and the U, but there is nothing to argue about!its like comparing a hybrid car to a Ferrari, their both good for their own things but the Ferrari just has more horse power! And also use 20X the gas and will never be as fast as a customized racecar( PC). And it's f***ing expensive!

Its a little more complicated than that. A hybrid that could do 150 on the highway maybe. You should probably refrain from vehicle analogies. If we are going there, how about the Red Sled (1400WHP Neon SRT-4) vs the same ferrari. The ferrari has more cylinders and higher displacement, but lower HP/Liter of displacement. The ferrari has a higher top speed, but will never reach it in a quarter mile. It will even outpace the SRT off the line by a small margin, but once the SRT hits third gear, will catch up. At the end, both are 9 second cars, but one of them did it will 6 fewer cylinders and 6.3 fewer liters of displacement. Efficient airflow and compression generated by an exhaust driven turbine along with forged internal components allowed for a higher air/fuel ratio, creating larger and more violent EXPLOSIONS (nollog) that provided exceptional tangential force to the crank.

Edited by routerbad, 23 February 2013 - 09:05 PM.

#20 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

It would be a great business decision to buy Sega, it would attract more people towards the Wii U. Now if this doesn't happen, obviously Sega will still make Wii U games. It'll be like last gen, some games won't be released for Nintendo consoles, some will be multiplats on Nintendo consoles, and some will be Nintendo exclusives. I'm pretty sure the Wii U will eventually get it's own exclusive Sonic game similar to how Sonic Colors was handled ( 3D platformer for Wii U, 2D platformer for 3DS).

Edited by Bolbi, 23 February 2013 - 11:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!