• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#1 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

This news made me really happy, and I'm sure many of you smiled for it, too. Apparently, Retro's working on something special for the Wii 2. Here's the article I wrote on the blog about it. Retro's known for their wickedly awesome games, so I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to speculate on what they could be making, particularly since they mentioned that it's something that "everyone wants."

So that's what this topic's for. What awesomeness do you think (or hope) Retro's making for us? Seeing as their specialty appears to be breathing new life into old franchises that haven't seen the light of day in years, I wouldn't be surprised to see, say, a new F-Zero game come out of them...or maybe even the Yoshi's Island sequel I've been hoping for since forever. ;)

#2 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:04 AM

I'm thinking F-Zero, StarFox or Kid Icarus.
But who really knows...
You know what guys?
It's amazing how the the human mind does not process the the fact I used the word "the" twice in a row in this sentence.

#3 Guest

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Okami, Metroid, Mega Man X

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:58 AM

...or maybe even the Yoshi's Island sequel I've been hoping for since forever. ;)

Here's the sequel called Yoshi's Island DS...

Retro Studios already said that they're ready with Metroid (Did someone of you guys play Other M? Can't decide whether to buy it or not), and in my opinion, the new game they're working on is either Mother, Fire Emblem, Starfox or F-Zero.

There were Fire Emblems for both Wii and DS, so this is the most unlikely one.

The last Starfox and F-Zero games were for the Gamecube, but there was a Starfox for DS, and as there were 2 Starfoxes for GC but only 1 F-Zero, I think we're more likely to get a new F-Zero. On the other hand, it might be that Retro Studios holds some kind of grudge against Rare and wants to show with a new Starfox that they're better... but I think this is just my imagination running wild.

Last but not least, Mother is different from them all. Mother 3's release was 2006 for the GBA, and Mother 2 aka EarthBound was released for the SNES, meaning that Mother fans have been waiting much longer than the rest. Also, the series is almost unknown outside of Japan (We Europeans didn't get one single Mother-game!). Considering that Retro Studios love to revive old series, this might be the next big game they're working on.

Oh, forgot to mention that I'm a real Starfox-fanboy, so they better be making a new Starfox! :P

EDIT: Well, I don't know about Kid Icarus. I think Nintendo will wait and see how Uprising sells, after all Kid Icarus isn't as popular as the other games Retro Studios might be working on.

Edited by Guest, 20 April 2011 - 05:00 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Jikayaki

Jikayaki

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:01 AM

I really doubt it will be F-Zero. I'd like to see a franchise like F-Zero have a reboot from Retro, but to me F-Zero doesn't make much sense based on Retro's experience though neither did Donkey Kong. Star Fox doesn't sound all that impossible I could envision a space fighter combat/first person shooter reboot that could borrow extensively from Retro's experiences with Metroid. That said I think there was a reason Retro created Donkey Kong Country Returns. Its specific existence likely comes down to needing another quick release while Retro was if I was to speculate working primarily on next gen engines, but it may of been testing the market for a Donkey Kong Country reboot. This perhaps isn't what majority of fans would want Retro to work on, but I find it likely Retro's next game for the foreseeable future is Donkey Kong. As a launch game Donkey Kong even makes sense instead of a Mario or Zelda. Its not currently really an overly powerful franchise and wouldn't completely overshadow 3D party efforts, but give a reason for Nintendo fans to buy the system right away instead of waiting.

#5 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:42 AM

Putting Rumors 1 and 2 together... My bet is on Starfox ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#6 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:34 PM

Mario. Duh ;)

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#7 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:18 PM

Here's the sequel called Yoshi's Island DS...

I was rather referring to something like this...

Judging by the look of this thread, Star Fox seems like a likely bet. However, some rumours of their project being a sequel to either Eternal Darkness or Donkey Kong Country Returns have popped up in the last couple of days, too. I've never actually even heard of Eternal Darkness before, so I'm not that sure if Nintendo would want to dedicate one of their prize teams to producing a sequel - but the renewal of the ED trademark seems to say otherwise.

@SDY: Nintendo likes to make all of their Mario games back home in Japan. So I think the chances of Retro being busy with a new Mario are rather slim, as much as I'd love to see their take on the series.

#8 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:33 AM

I've actually always wanted to play eternal darkness, so I wouldn't mind them making a sequel ;)

As long as the first one ends up on VirtualCube, that is :P
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#9 prizzaparty

prizzaparty

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Snes!

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:59 PM

A massive 2-d Metroid game, Metroid Dread maybe? I'm playing super metroid right now and there is nothing i want more then that. If they dont't do that, they should make a new dk game, imagine the jungle in hd.

#10 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:05 PM

I've actually always wanted to play eternal darkness, so I wouldn't mind them making a sequel :P

As long as the first one ends up on VirtualCube, that is :P

VirtualCube, that must happen! Seriously, some GameCube games are getting increasingly difficult to find, and I know Nintendo isn't making any money off of them anymore, anyway.

A massive 2-d Metroid game, Metroid Dread maybe? I'm playing super metroid right now and there is nothing i want more then that. If they dont't do that, they should make a new dk game, imagine the jungle in hd.

I think it was said that Retro is done with Metroid, and want to move on to other series. Though I honestly wouldn't mind a new Metroid game from them - they seem to be the best at making them. :P

#11 Sirralart SuperDragon

Sirralart SuperDragon

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:
    Perfect Dark, SSB, SvR, Fighting Games

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:10 PM

KILLER INSTINCT 3!!!!

Think about it...they were able to bring back GoldenEye 007 (which was developed by RARE)...so why couldn't they bring back Killer Instinct (which was also developed by RARE) for the next console?

This is ALSO a game that everyone's been wanting for about 15 years...and counting.

Edited by Sirralart RCP120, 03 May 2011 - 01:17 PM.

AWESHUM SAUCE!!! **(^_^)**

Female protagonists are GREAT!!!

My Smackdown vs Raw 2011 keyword for the PS3 is TRALARRIS. If you like ORIGINAL DIVA CAWs look them up!

#12 Biohazard

Biohazard

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Gears of War, Killzone

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:11 PM

Rare owns the Killer Instincts license, which means Microsoft exclusively owns it. Activision and Eurocom remade GoldenEye for the Wii.

Retro Studios had nothing to do with any of them.

#13 Sirralart SuperDragon

Sirralart SuperDragon

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Fandom:
    Perfect Dark, SSB, SvR, Fighting Games

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

Rare owns the Killer Instincts license, which means Microsoft exclusively owns it. Activision and Eurocom remade GoldenEye for the Wii.

Retro Studios had nothing to do with any of them.

Oh...well, that sucks because Microsoft will PROBABLY never use it. I was talking about Nintendo when I said "they", but it doesn't matter now. LOL! Thanks for the info.
AWESHUM SAUCE!!! **(^_^)**

Female protagonists are GREAT!!!

My Smackdown vs Raw 2011 keyword for the PS3 is TRALARRIS. If you like ORIGINAL DIVA CAWs look them up!

#14 Hogge

Hogge

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:40 AM

I think that they've been making games that cater very well for western audiences, games that Nintendo perhaps don't want to do themselves.
And seeing that the reason for this console to exist is to atract core players and third parties, I believe that Retro will be doing one of the following:

Nintendo GT
Sony has it, Microsoft has it and even Sega had it for the Dreamcast. You can't have a console nowadays without a serious racer with hundreds of licensed cars. In essence: a competitor to Gran Turismo. My hope is however that while being realistic, the game will contain fun and estheticly pleasing courses, rather than race tracks which consist to 99% of concrete and other grey materials.
Imagine if they'd take track layouts from other Nintendo games and make them look like real race tracks. For example you could take Rainbow road and turn it in to a mountain with tunnels and ridges everywhere, or if you'd turn Moo Moo Farm in to a rally track out in the country.

FPS
Putting it simply: An FPS that challenges that Halo, Resistance and Killzone. This could be based on an upgraded version of the excellent Metroid Prime 3-engine.

#15 Limelight788

Limelight788

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dragon Ball, Nintendo, Gran Turismo

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:24 PM

I personally would love to see Retro either do a new series entirely, F-zero, or Star Fox, all three of which are likely choices.

@Guest: Mother will almost certainly never get another installment. Nintendo can't even be bother to fix the rumored legal issues regarding Earthbound's VC appearance, so I highly doubt Nintendo gives a rats butt about the franchise. Plus Earthbound failed in North America, so Nintendo of America has zero interest in giving another installment a try.

The Official Mega Man for SSB4 Thread

megaman-2.gif

Want Mega Man in Super Smash Bros. 4? Click on the link in the text and show your support!

#16 Anomandaris

Anomandaris

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:20 AM

Well as we all know retro studios is working on something for the wii u, and they said it's something everybody wants them to do.
Sooo, what game do you want it to be? Because apparently that will be the game they make.

I want metroid prime 4.
Posted Image

#17 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:25 AM

Well as we all know retro studios is working on something for the wii u, and they said it's something everybody wants them to do.
Sooo, what game do you want it to be? Because apparently that will be the game they make.

I want metroid prime 4.

NO MP4. IT WAS A TRILOGY FOR A REASON.
I'd like to see them do a new IP for Nintendo.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#18 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:59 AM

I know this is reaaally wishful thinking, but Earthbound 4...or just a remake of Earthbound 1-3 for the 3DS. :/

Otherwise, I'd like to see them handle the next Starfox game.

EDIT: And I'm also fairly certain that Retro Studios themselves said that there won't be a MP4, as it was meant to be a Trilogy.

Edited by Gamecollector44, 18 August 2011 - 11:19 AM.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#19 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:09 AM

I hope that the game they're working on is Mario Kart 8. Failing that, a Yoshi game would be nice.

#20 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:37 AM

I hope that the game they're working on is Mario Kart 8. Failing that, a Yoshi game would be nice.

The Yoshi game, I can understand, but I thought Mario Kart was doing pretty well on its own? o.o

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!