Photo

Wii U hardware; bits and pieces connected together...

Wii U Hardware CPU GPU RAM eDRAM Speculation Research Cache Radeon HD

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Poll: Your opinion on this thread... (7 member(s) have cast votes)

How much do you agree with information's inside this thread?

1. 100% (4 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

2. 80-90% (2 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. 60-70% (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 40-50% (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 20-30% (0 votes [0.00%])

6. 0-10% (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Eye_Of-Core

Eye_Of-Core

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Fandom:
    Black Lagoon

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

Wii U CPU:
- Tri Core IBM 45nm PowerPC750CL/G3/Power7 Hybrid
- Core 0; 512KB Core 1; 2MB Core 2; 512KB L2 Cache
- Clocked at 1.24Ghz
- 4 stage pipeline/not Xenon-Cell CPU-GPU hybrid
- Produced at IBM advanced CMOS fabrication facility
- Can use eDRAM as cache(!? Power7 memory implementation)
- Dual Core ARM for background OS tasks clocked at 1Ghz with 64KB L1 cache per core

Wii U Memory:
- DDR3 2GB, 1GB for OS, 1GB for Games (12.8/Gbps is speculation)
- eDRAM 32MB+4MB Memory/VRAM/Cache(UNIFIED!?, 4MB for gamepad)
- Clocked at 550Mhz
- CPU for Cache and GPU for VRAM use eDRAM
- eDRAM acts as unified memory, similar to AMD’s hUMA/HSA by function/behaviour(?! not similar in terms of architecture)
- Little to no latency between CPU and GPU with eDRAM Cache/Memory/VRAM(?! Power7 memory implementation)

Wii U GPU:
- VLIW 5/VLIW4 Radeon HD 5000/6000 40nm
- DirectX 11/Open GL 4.3/Open CL 1.2/Shader Model 5.0
- Supports GPGPU compute/offload
- Customized, Using custom Nintendo API codenamed GX2(GX1 Gamecube)
- Clocked at 550Mhz
- Produced at TSMC
- Uses eDRAM as VRAM
- Silicon/features involving DirectX 11 is replaced by more transistors and still maintaining Open GL 4.3/Open CL 1.2/Shader Model 5.0 compatibility
- rumors; 320 shader units w/ 352 Gflops performance or based around Radeon HD e6850

Wii U Note;
- Can’t use DirectX 11 because of OS, only Open GL 4.3/Nintendo API GX2 that is ahead of DX11
- Easier to program, no bottlenecks causing trouble like on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3
- more efficient hardware with no bandwidth bottlenecks
- Most early ports and even now use 2 cores and 3rd is barely used #fact
- Wii U CPU has much higher operations per cycle than Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 though it is unknown if it is faster
- It is maybe in fact most efficient performance per watt in the world in terms of 45/40nm chips
- Minor Power7 architecture implementation allows shave off 10% of texture size without loss of quality(special compression)
- Wii U power consumption at full system load is 40 watts, Wii U's power brick is rated 75 watts
- Wii U's Flash storage, RAM, USB ports, motherboard, fan and small secondary chips consume around 10 to 15 watts in total
- Wii U's SoC(CPU and GPU) estimated maximum power consumption is 25 to 30 watts
- Supports 4k displays, native 4k(possible 2D 4k games?)

It is ahead of 7th generation, developers will learn to handle and optimize for Wii U properly. I was digging on the internet for various information’s for a month and all you read is what I compiled and gathered. It can handle 1080p because it has 3.5 times more eDRAM than Xbox 360 also has no severe memory/bandwidth bottlenecks that Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 have all over the system with their FSB that is choking. Xbox 360′s GDDR3 that has theoretical 22-28Gbps is reduced to 10Gbps thanks to piss poor FSB.

Wii U has same amount of eDRAM as Xbox One, remember that and also Wii U’s CPU utilizes Power7 architecture a bit so maybe just maybe Wii U’s CPU can use eDRAM as CPU cache as GPU uses it as VRAM so in a way something alike AMD’s hUMA/HSA is maybe possible on Wii U.

If Grand Theft Auto 5 was on Wii U then you can only expect better visuals/details, less pop ups, higher framerate that would be 60 fps most likely since Wii U is light years ahead of current generation and that is factual and you can be in denial but I did one whole month of dedicated digging on the internet in search of all sort of information’s related to Wii U’s hardware.

It can run it harder, better, faster, stronger and more sexier than 7th generation consoles by far.

In case you are wondering why some games run on Wiii U worser than on 7th generation consoles then I have simple explanation. Wii U hardware is noticeably different than Xbox 360's or PlayStation 3's, Xbox 360 Xenon and PlayStation 3's Cell are processors and not true CPU's since they can operate GPU related tasks well compared to Wii U that is primarily a CPU. Another reason is that developers don't put too much resources on porting the game to the Wii U thus it lacks proper optimizations and adaptions of their game engines to Wii U's hardware. Even though some ports perform lower than on 7th generation consoles, in most cases run on higher resolution and/or at Native 720p/HD.

Most if not all 3rd party launch games were made on older Wii U development kits that had 20 to 40% lower clocks than final development kit that Nintendo released near the launch so developers did not had much time to adapt their games to the final devkit thus games were running poorly also games like Darksiders 2, Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper, Batman Arkham City and other were using only two cores while third was not used at all or was barely used to aid performance of the game involving CPU related tasks. Since most ports are from Xbox 360 and/or PlayStation 3 versions of the games there are sure to be incompatibilities since Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 Processors do CPU and also GPU tasks plus GPU's, RAM/Memory, Latency and other factors are different than on Wii U thus optimizations and adaptations is needed though cheap ports as always tend to be a train wreck. Don't you agree? :)

Edited by Eye_Of-Core, 19 September 2013 - 09:26 AM.

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

I assume your sources are from rumours on the internet.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 Eye_Of-Core

Eye_Of-Core

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Fandom:
    Black Lagoon

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

Various sources. Mostly discoveries on various forums, some rumors and I spent one month searching for all bits of information involving Wii U's hardware and doing research, looking at Wikipedia articles involving architecture, Nintendo's deals with companies like S3 graphics, IBM, AMD and others. I scourged, checked, researched and eliminated most unlikely and unproven information's.

NeoGAF threads and users had some useful information's, I could only lurk around like a stalker since I sadly can't register...

#4 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

Most of it seems spot on, from what I can tell.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#5 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

So the Wii U is awesome, even outside of awesome games? -waits for 3Dude translation-

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#6 Eye_Of-Core

Eye_Of-Core

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Fandom:
    Black Lagoon

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

Most of it seems spot on, from what I can tell.

I spent a lot of time, I hope so. If I am wrong then maybe I should do "seppuku"... <_<

So the Wii U is awesome, even outside of awesome games? -waits for 3Dude translation-

Well from standpoint of power consumption of whole console considering it has chips made at 45/40nm process, it makes my brain explode.

As for performance, I don't know. Mostly speculations and rumors, basically impossible to know except if you work for Nintendo or if you are developer though sadly under strict NDA that would in case you break it would literally smack yours or someone else nuts with a sledgehammer.

Edited by Eye_Of-Core, 19 September 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#7 JoshZebra

JoshZebra

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

I'd say this list is pretty much right, do you know how much VRAM is allocated to the gamepad?

#8 Eye_Of-Core

Eye_Of-Core

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Fandom:
    Black Lagoon

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

I'd say this list is pretty much right, do you know how much VRAM is allocated to the gamepad?

I wrote it in the thread, look at Wii U Memory second line. I wrote it has 4MB of eDRAM dedicated for gamepad and 32MB of eDRAM is main screen/operation so Wii U has in total 36MB of eDRAM. If has more eDRAM than Xbox One in total though Xbox One eDRAM is eSRAM(inferior).

Edited by Eye_Of-Core, 19 September 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#9 JoshZebra

JoshZebra

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

I wrote it in the thread, look at Wii U Memory second line. I wrote it has 4MB of eDRAM dedicated for gamepad and 32MB of eDRAM is main screen/operation so Wii U has in total 36MB of eDRAM. If has more eDRAM than Xbox One in total though Xbox One eDRAM is eSRAM(inferior).

That's is a incredibly small ammount.  I thought that was for the input.  IE 1 bite for a, if pressed = true, not = false blah blah, then you have the microphone, the camera, and then the screen buffering and streaming back to the console.  So I wondered if the VRAM was allocated or if the system processed both screens and then streamed it to the pad.

#10 Eye_Of-Core

Eye_Of-Core

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Fandom:
    Black Lagoon

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:30 AM

That's is a incredibly small ammount.  I thought that was for the input.  IE 1 bite for a, if pressed = true, not = false blah blah, then you have the microphone, the camera, and then the screen buffering and streaming back to the console.  So I wondered if the VRAM was allocated or if the system processed both screens and then streamed it to the pad.

Gamepad has sub-HD screen, I am pretty sure it is 800x600 pixels or something similar to that resolution so it does not require much eDRAM, those 4MB are most likely used by seperate in built feature into GPU to stream the video/signal of the picture. Microphone and camera send signal via Wi-fi and don't use those 4MB dedicated for streaming/buffering. 32MB for game and 4MB for gamepad streaming. I am sure that it is something like that.

#11 JoshZebra

JoshZebra

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

Gamepad has sub-HD screen, I am pretty sure it is 800x600 pixels or something similar to that resolution so it does not require much eDRAM, those 4MB are most likely used by seperate in built feature into GPU to stream the video/signal of the picture. Microphone and camera send signal via Wi-fi and don't use those 4MB dedicated for streaming/buffering. 32MB for game and 4MB for gamepad streaming. I am sure that it is something like that.

Ahh thanks for explaining, that makes a lot of sense ^_^ That is impressive.  One more thing, I remember an article on the Wii U being able to hook up to gamepads to one system.  Does this include having two hooked up or would it be reallocated?

#12 Eye_Of-Core

Eye_Of-Core

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Fandom:
    Black Lagoon

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

Ahh thanks for explaining, that makes a lot of sense ^_^ That is impressive.  One more thing, I remember an article on the Wii U being able to hook up to gamepads to one system.  Does this include having two hooked up or would it be reallocated?

Video on Wii U's gamepad is streamed at 60fps constant, if there are two Wii U's then it is cut in half so each gamepad has a stream that is 30fps and if there was a third and fourth then it would be unwatchable except if resolution of the stream is lowered plus it can decide to reduce the quality of it.

A fast paced game will automatically have a lower quality stream while an slow paced game will have higher quality stream since it is less stressful.

#13 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

A rather complete list of internet info and rumours. Very gaffy... Can stand to be a tad bit more discerning with some rumours.

I wouldnt exactly consider it a power 7 hybrid because it uses the same edram technology behind p7. Its a bit too... embellished. IBM kinda blew smoke up our butts with the whole watson thing.

The 360 indeed was reduced to 10.8 Gb a second bandwidth... For the cpu to read or write to main memory. It also had to go through the gpu to do either, and had to wait on the latency for two busses/bridges instead of direct on die acess.

Gpu got the 'full' 22.4Gb/second to main ram, though its edram was so small it wasted much of its bandwidth on things wii u simply doesnt, severely cutting out any bandwidth advantadge 360 would seem to have over wii u's 12.8 Gbs bandwidth to main memory.

The 360's edram was also off die, and only had a measly bandwidth of 32Gb/s. Wii u blows it out of the water in capacity, bandwidth, and latency.

Nice info/speculation round up. Certainly one hell of a forum introduction.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#14 JoshZebra

JoshZebra

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:45 AM

Video on Wii U's gamepad is streamed at 60fps constant, if there are two Wii U's then it is cut in half so each gamepad has a stream that is 30fps and if there was a third and fourth then it would be unwatchable except if resolution of the stream is lowered plus it can decide to reduce the quality of it.

A fast paced game will automatically have a lower quality stream while an slow paced game will have higher quality stream since it is less stressful.

That never even crossed my mind, I've never really drove into the Wii specs before this.  Thanks again for the clear up.  I wasn't trying to come across as snobby with my first post, so sorry if I might of, but yeah, very impressive list! Thanks ^_^

#15 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

It's rumours like this that lessen your post's credibility.
Iwata says the second upad would make it 30fps in an off-hand tweet after e3 and you apply this way-out-there context to it with nothing more to back up your theory.

You'd fit well in neogaf, and maybe you should apply for a job at IGN.

Edited by Nollog, 19 September 2013 - 09:51 AM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#16 Eye_Of-Core

Eye_Of-Core

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Fandom:
    Black Lagoon

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:52 AM

A rather complete list of internet info and rumours. Very gaffy... Can stand to be a tad bit more discerning with some rumours. I wouldnt exactly consider it a power 7 hybrid because it uses the same edram technology behind p7. Its a bit too... embellished. IBM kinda blew smoke up our butts with the whole watson thing.

The 360 indeed was reduced to 10.8 Gb a second bandwidth... For the cpu to read or write to main memory. It also had to go through the gpu to do either, and had to wait on the latency for two busses/bridges instead of direct on die acess.

Gpu got the 'full' 22.4Gb/second to main ram, though its edram was so small it wasted much of its bandwidth on things wii u simply doesnt, severely cutting out any bandwidth advantadge 360 would seem to have over wii u's 12.8 Gbs bandwidth to main memory.

The 360's edram was also off die, and only had a measly bandwidth of 32Gb/s. Wii u blows it out of the water in capacity, bandwidth, and latency.

Nice info/speculation round up. Certainly one hell of a forum introduction.

So... Lets say in hypothetical situation where WIi U is exactly as powerful as Xbox 360 in Gflops though Wii U does not have severe bottlenecks and maintains all the advantages, so how much the Wii U would be in lead over Xbox 360? A little or a lot or in between, depending on scenario and types of data running on it?!

It's rumours like this that lessen your post's credibility.
Iwata says the second upad would make it 30fps in an off-hand tweet after e3 and you apply this way-out-there context to it with nothing more to back up your theory.

You'd fit well in neogaf, and maybe you should apply for a job at IGN.

I was confirmed that two gamepads could be used, I only stated in what kind of scenarios it would be if there would be third and fourth was used on the same console. I gathered what I could and even if IGN wanted to hire me I would avoid them by matter of miles and light years.

Edited by Eye_Of-Core, 19 September 2013 - 09:59 AM.

#17 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

Eye_Of-Core, on 19 Sept 2013 - 6:52 PM, said:
So... Lets say in hypothetical situation where WIi U is exactly as powerful as Xbox 360 in Gflops though Wii U does not have severe bottlenecks and maintains all the advantages, so how much the Wii U would be in lead over Xbox 360? A little or a lot or in between, depending on scenario and types of data running on it?!

About 8 years worth.
I'd like to see your comparison to same-generation hardware.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#18 Eye_Of-Core

Eye_Of-Core

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Fandom:
    Black Lagoon

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

About 8 years worth.
I'd like to see your comparison to same-generation hardware.

Gas Guzzler(Xbox 360) vs Ferrari+Nitro(Wii U), simple analogy or steam powered locomotive vs diesel train...

I could describe you; Xbox 360 is a city that has less roads and the roads are narrow and have a lot more crossroads while Wii U would be a kind of City that has wider roads, less cross roads with shortcuts and can digest the heavy traffic plus has a mini highway to from one end to another end of the city. Good enough?

#19 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

Gflops? A rather limited comparison, but I get your drift. Yeah, if they were equal (they arent though) Wii u is far more effecient, and looks to avoid 360's numerous bottlnecks and performance bleeding.

Even in gflops wii u comes out on top, but its mostly in the gpu, instead of the cpu like the 360.

The cpu has 2x32 bit floating point units per cpu core, which serves as the cpu's simd, often referred to as paired singles. Would seem to be fairly weak simd performance. But either theres more to it, or Nintendo's custom 750 architecture just doesnt care about petty things like reality. Its surprising (competent) devs left and right. Rad tools is still amazed.

Regaurdless, the system has the flop power to far exceed 360 in poly count, as demonstrated by X, Not just in larger scale with farther view distance of more complicated and varied terrain, (far less instancing) and more and larger objects, it also has enough to 'waste' rendering not just non flat terrain, but pebbles made out of polygons. And with enough precision to keep them all from jittering around.

Definately not the same situation as last gen.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#20 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

Gas Guzzler(Xbox 360) vs Ferrari+Nitro(Wii U), simple analogy or steam powered locomotive vs diesel train...

I could describe you; Xbox 360 is a city that has less roads and the roads are narrow and have a lot more crossroads while Wii U would be a kind of City that has wider roads, less cross roads with shortcuts and can digest the heavy traffic plus has a mini highway to from one end to another end of the city. Good enough?

I can describe you; 8 year old game versus 1 year old game.

Edited by Nollog, 19 September 2013 - 10:16 AM.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wii U, Hardware, CPU, GPU, RAM, eDRAM, Speculation, Research, Cache, Radeon HD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!