4 replies to this topic

#1 snipethewolf

snipethewolf

Goomba

• Validating
  • 8 posts
  • NNID:Snipethewolf

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:55 PM

So you've got yourself one of those fancy new Nintendo Systems call a Wii U. You excitedly open the box and hook up the system then BOOM something happens. Do not despair here are some quick tips and tricks to try to help get you back to gaming bliss!

Troubleshooting steps here are laid out by type of issue. Find the area you are having trouble with and work though the steps and hopefully you will be up and running again! Yes some of these steps seem very basic but I can assure you I have seen them happen so even if it seems simple try it first and then move on to more advanced steps. The simple stuff can save you a lot of time and headaches.

I will try my best to update this thread as often as possible to keep up with new issues and solutions.

:Helpful Hints:

• There is no direct HDMI to component cable. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not waist your money and buy one labled as such. If you want to connect your Wii U via Composite/Component it uses the same cable as the Wii which runs about $5 to $10. There is a converter to convert HDMI to Composite but it does not work well and runs about $50.
  • If you want to connect your Wii U via Composite/Component it uses the same cable as the Wii.
  • There is such a thing as an HDMI to DVI cable. It will work in a pinch if you need to hook up a Wii U to a monitor but you will have no audio as DVI normally does not support it.
  • The USB Network adapter from a Wii will work for a Wii U if you wish to use a wired connection for your system.

Video

Situation:

• No Video on TV

Steps:

1. Make sure all cables on the Wii U are plugged in securely, both on the Wii U and TV

2. Make sure the Wii U and TV have power and are turned on

3. Make sure TV is set to the input the Wii U is hooked to

4. If everything is powered on and hooked up and you still have no video, try changing the HDMI port the Wii U is hooked to

5. If you still have no Video try changing the HDMI cable to a known working one. (Example - Borrow one form another game console or cable box that is working, just don't forget to put it back when you're done )

6. Try a different TV if possible

7. If the above has not fixed the issue its possible the system may have a hardware issue.

8. Please contact Nintendo Support for your Region. Numbers/website on the bottom of this post

Situation:

• Video but its black and white

What to Do:

1. If you are completing the first-time setup process and, after selecting HDMI output, the picture went black and white, simply re-select non-HDMI.

• Use the Wii U GamePad to ensure that the correct connection type is being used (HDMI or Non-HDMI). [How to]
    • If you find that the settings are correctly set for the type of cable you are using, but you are still unable to get a color picture, switch the setting to the opposite setting, save it, and then switch it back to the correct setting.
      • For example: You are using a Wii AV Cable, the Wii U is set to non-HDMI, but the picture is still black and white. Switch the setting to HDMI, save it, set it back to non-HDMI, and then save it. Ensure that the yellow video cable is connected to the correct input.

2. If you have multiple sets of inputs, look for a "Y" marked with the color yellow and/or the word "video." This input may be green.

• Cycle through your television's Input Select channels (usually with the "Input Select" or "Source" button on your TV's remote control) to find the input select that has the image in color.
  • If you're only finding the image in black and white, you may need to switch the setting of the input select from a component signal to a standard AV signal. This can be done by:
    • An on screen menu option. This is often accessed by using the "Menu" button on the remote.
    • A button on the remote that switches between the standard and component signals. These can be labeled such things as "AV" or "Video."
  • Try a different cable if one is available.

If the above has not fixed the issue its possible the system may have a hardware issue.

Please contact Nintendo Support for your Region. Numbers/website on the bottom of this post

Audio

Solution

Please run though the troubleshooting steps from Nintendo. They are written better than mine and have links for more info.

http://www.nintendo....audio_video.jsp

(Sorry copping out atm, will update later)

Power

Situation:

• The Wii U console no longer power on when the power button is pressed.

What to Do:

• First, attempt to use a different wall outlet, one that is known to work. Do not use any power strips, surge protectors, or extension cords. If this does not work, follow these steps:
  • Ensure that the Wii U console is not exposed to high temperatures and that it has proper ventilation (at least 4"/10 cm away from obstructions).
  • Perform the following:
    1. Unplug all accessories from the Wii U console, including any external hard drives or other storage devices.
    2. Unplug the AC adapter from the wall outlet and from the back of the Wii U console.
    3. Wait at least 90 seconds. This will cause the AC adapter to reset.
      • It is extremely important to wait the full 90 seconds. The AC adapter will not reset if you do not wait the full amount of time.
    4. While you are waiting for the AC adapter to reset, check to see if the AC adapter is a licensed accessory by verifying the model number (WUP-002). If the AC adapter is unlicensed, click here.
    5. Check for physical damage to the AC adapter. If you find evidence of cracks, frayed cords, or other damage, click here.
    6. After 90 seconds has passed, plug the AC adapter into the Wii U console and wall outlet. Do not use any power strips, surge protectors, or extension cords.

If these steps didn't work if you happen to have a second AC adapter please try it.

If it's still not work please contact Nintendo Support

Situation:

• AC Adapter Damage/Replacement

Solution:

Replace the AC Adapter with the same region your system came from. Nintendo's adapters do not seem to be universal thus buying a power adapter from a different region might cause hardware or other issues with the system.

Network

Situation:

• Cannot connect to your router

Steps:

• Power Cycle your Modem and Router
    • To power cycle simply unplug the power adapter for 30 sec then plug it back in
  • Ensure the router is powered on and running
  • Ensure you have the correct password for your wireless network
  • Help with accessing your router to check settings
  • http://www.nintendo....jsp?menu=router
  • Remember the range of a wireless network is limited and is effected by walls, floors, and other objects. Mirrors and other metal surfaces kill wireless signals.
  • Make sure your system is not out of range.
  • Try changing the mode of your router from mixed (b+g+n) to either just n or b+g mode

Update

For now please check Nintendo’s site on update information. As I have time I will rewrite and add info.

http://www.nintendo....stem_update.jsp

Oh no your issue is still happening what now?

Call Nintendo Support! I have personally called them several times with different issues ranging from a demo on the 3ds being broken to my Wii U being bricked. Every time I have called I have gotten an answer. Just remember they are doing their job and are there to help you.

Tech Support for Nintendo

http://www.nintendo....gion_select.jsp

USA Tech Support Number - 1-800-255-3700

Tips for call Tech support like a Pro!

1. There people to be nice! Being nice and not just blowing up on the person goes a VERY long way.

2. Have easy access to your system/setup when you call. If you must call during work know what you have done for trouble shooting steps and have a way to write down any steps they might tell you to try when you get home.

3. Have a good phone to call from. If you're using a landline great! If you have to use a cell phone make sure to have a good signal and for goodness sake don’t use speaker phone/Bluetooth headset. They echo and have crap for quality.

4. Know that if your system has to get in or repair data WILL be lost. Most of the times your send if your system for "repairs" if it is a hardware issue they are not going to repair the console but replace the console. You will get the same system back as far as specs go but the exact same console, probably not.

5. Again, the support people are there to help please be nice!  :D

6. Write down all the information you are given if you have to send your system in for repair. This will and does come in handy if you have to track down where your console is.

7. Lastly Don't be a dick! Yes your mad bro that your stuff is not working, but remember the support people are not the people build the systems or design them so try and not take out your rage on them.

Edited by snipethewolf, 29 December 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#2 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

This is a great idea, and useful too

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#3 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

Perhaps make it more clear that the Wii U uses the Wii's component and composite video cables. You were talking about a $50 converter and I almost missed you mentioning the AV cables, which can be had for down to $7 or so.

Edited by grahamf, 28 December 2013 - 11:48 PM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#4 snipethewolf

snipethewolf

Goomba

• Validating
  • 8 posts
  • NNID:Snipethewolf

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for the feedback! I have reworded the part you mentioned grahamf! I wrote this when I was a bit tired and couldn't fall asleep so im sure it will need some reworking :P

If you have any other ideas on rewording or additions please let me know!

#5 Lebon14

Lebon14

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Fandom:
    Golden Sun and Touhou universe

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:16 AM

Good idea!

Also, the links in "Power" section aren't linked at all.

WiiU NNID : Lebon14, Friend invites will be ignored. I must know you first.
Rocketman, your rocketman
Fly with me, to the moon, to the stars my heart
Rocketman, your rocketman
Take you higher
♫ - "Rocketman" by Mega NRG Man (Super Eurobeat 217)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!