GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:56 AM

Dont want to put too much into this... because I am enjoying my Wii U so much.  So AMD pretty much came out recently and said they secured work for at least one new console. here is the link http://gamingbolt.co...ew-game-console and here is the actual quote....

"Speaking of future opportunities for AMD, Devinder Kumar, chief financial officer of AMD said, “I will say that one [design win] is x86 and [another] is ARM, and at least one will [be] beyond gaming, right. But that is about as much as you going to get out me today. From the standpoint [of being] fair to [customers], it is their product, and they launch it. They are going to announce it and then […] you will find out that it is AMD’s APU that is being used in those products.”

to me this screams Nintendo NX... I mean what other console manufactuer do we know is going to launch a new console (NX has been confirmed) I know all of them start working on their next one as soon as the current one is released. here is another link http://powerleveled....ing-processors/ and the quote

"The other thing I’ll mention in the semi-custom business which you probably picked up in the announcement that we had in October earnings call is we’ve been having a lot of interest in the semi-custom business, the semi-custom business is very unique, whereby it takes AMD’s core IP, we use it across market segments, across customers, across products, customer interest has been high and we projected earlier this year that we would have at least one to two semi-custom design wins and I’m pleased to report that we have those design wins, the work to design the products that has already started, the contract assigned and those parts get introduced in 2016.

We didn’t say at which space it is in. I’m not going to give too much detail. I’ll say that one is x86 and one is ARM, and atleast one will be on gaming, right. But that’s about as much as you going to get out me today, because the customers from the standpoint to be fair to them. It is their product. They launch it. They announce it and then just like the game console or the parts you find out that its AMD’s APU that’s been used in those products."

If you look at the bolded we can see where the Nintendo NX is the likely candidate. Iwata said we would get further info next year which is "2016". I could totally be wrong but I think AMD was talking about the NX here.  What are you guys thoughts?  

#2 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:10 AM

I think it was last year people were already assuming it was for Nintendo, even before we knew of the codename NX. Nintendo stated even before revealing the codename that the next hardware was being R&D'd (as usual for any company). So put 2 and 2 together.

We don't know if it's a hand held, home console, or other device. NX could represent all of them as the new platform.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#3 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 28 March 2015 - 06:55 AM

Yeah, people already assumed it was Nintendo.

Still, seeing as Nintendo announced NX, there's a part of that quote that is really relevant: "...and at least one will [be] beyond gaming,..."

The beyond gaming is something that, at the time, no one could easily pinpoint being Nintendo. After all, Nintendo's consoles have always been about gaming, period.

Now, after all that info that came from the Nintendo-DeNa conference, that "beyond gaming" seems to really, not just point at Nintendo, but also show what kind of direction Nintendo might be going in.

At least, i feel it's safe to assume that NX will be something really unique for Nintendo to even go beyond gaming.

What exists there beyond gaming: Blu-Ray player (for Nintendo it's a first), social features like sharing, could services (already confirmed by Iwata to be used by QoL and gaming devices), device interaction through account system, etc.

I really liked that beyond gaming part and i think NX will surprise us all!

#4 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:16 AM

I wonder if the surprise they are talking about is that the next Nintendo system, NX, will be of much greater power than the two twins... I doubt it but it is fun to think about.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#5 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

IBM literally ditching the power processor field lends quite a bit of credit to this.

Even if Nintendo wanted to put a ppc in the next system, IBM's made it really impractical for them to even try.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#6 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:36 PM

To be clear  I made this thread for one reason. There were a lot of people that dismissed these AMD quotes as anything Nintendo related but that was before the NX announcement. IMO there were obviously talking about the Nintendo NX

#7 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 06:07 PM

I am curious as to IBM ditching PPC. I don't understand how this affects Nintendo, which uses PPC in the Wii U and I believe intends to have the next console backwards compatible with the Wii U, necessitating the use of PPC.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#8 uPadWatcher2

uPadWatcher2

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, StarFox, Kid Icarus, SSB

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:41 PM

Sounds very reasonable to me.  I hope that rumor is true about AMD and Nintendo creating a ninth generation... a cross platform that combines home and portable gaming all fused into one.

Bayonetta2banner102414.png

"Let's dance, boys!"

- Bayonetta

#9 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:33 PM

They can use a Motorola 68000 for a CPU and bring back 3DFX for all it really matters. Wish people stop worrying what's in the system but what's on it.

#10 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:52 AM

Bring back cartridges!!!!

PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:57 AM

I am curious as to IBM ditching PPC. I don't understand how this affects Nintendo, which uses PPC in the Wii U and I believe intends to have the next console backwards compatible with the Wii U, necessitating the use of PPC.

Nintendo is a client, they have a contract with ibm to use their ppc products. Ibm is the vendor, they make the ppc products. When I say ibm is ditching ppc, I dont mean they are looking for a processor from another vendor, I mean they are no longer developing ppc products for companies like nintendo to use in their systems.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:29 AM

Nintendo is a client, they have a contract with ibm to use their ppc products. Ibm is the vendor, they make the ppc products. When I say ibm is ditching ppc, I dont mean they are looking for a processor from another vendor, I mean they are no longer developing ppc products for companies like nintendo to use in their systems.

Which doesn't answer my question. What does Nintendo do now? Do they have to stop making Wii Us? Do they have to redesign the replacement to not use IBM components? Do they now have to drop backwards compatibility with all PowerPC-based systems (Gamecube, Wii, Wii U)?

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#13 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:40 AM

Which doesn't answer my question. What does Nintendo do now? Do they have to stop making Wii Us? Do they have to redesign the replacement to not use IBM components? Do they now have to drop backwards compatibility with all PowerPC-based systems (Gamecube, Wii, Wii U)?

For Wii U nope. The contract still goes for Wii U for it's lifespan.  It's very common every console it's parts no longer made but specially made just for that system as long as Nintendo,SEGA,NEC,Sony,MS and whoever else sold that console. I mean Sony bought the factory that made some Wii U parts and you did not notice a change. This only affects future consoles, not Wii U.

#14 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

That only answers one question.

#15 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:09 AM

They will ditch BC.

Wii had it because it was the similar to GC which made it cheaper, thus compensating the costs of having BC.

If NX is a different achitecture then BC won't come cheap. And for what, anyway? Less than 20M users; Sony and MS' fans complained but in the end they didn't care either.

#16 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:45 AM

They will ditch BC.

Wii had it because it was the similar to GC which made it cheaper, thus compensating the costs of having BC.

If NX is a different achitecture then BC won't come cheap. And for what, anyway? Less than 20M users; Sony and MS' fans complained but in the end they didn't care either.

IF NX is even the Wii U successor. Besides didn't Nintendo a few months ago speak of the future being similar to Wii U or they hinted it will have BC? It's still possible it will have BC as every PlayStation console until PS4 still plays PS1 discs.

Edited by Ryudo, 29 March 2015 - 10:55 AM.

#17 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:52 AM

Really can't see them not offering off tv play/ 2nd screen experience in some capacity in the future. It's simply to great a feature. Imagine Wii U gamepad compatible with new hardware home console, imagine new handheld to include gamepad streaming tech.

#18 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:13 AM

IF NX is even the Wii U successor. Besides didn't Nintendo a few months ago speak of the future being similar to Wii U or they hinted it will have BC? It's still possible it will have BC as every PlayStation console until PS4 still plays PS1 discs.

Exactly, IF!

Iwata said the architecture would be similar but not the same. I don't understand anything about tech, but i what i read is that they liked how the architecture worked and wanted to keep that for the next consoles.

It's never impossible to have BC, i think. The real problem is the cost of having it and reasons to support that decision.
Whatever route Nintendo decides to take next gen will determine if at least the costs are low enough to keep the console at a reasonable price.

#19 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:36 PM

I don't think we can know the answer to that question because we don't know the specifics of the contract. it might mean that Nintendo can still use the Wii U CPU as an add on in the next console or that they can't.

We don't know. It appears IBM is not making gaming CPU any mor so they might not have a choice.

Exactly, IF!

Iwata said the architecture would be similar but not the same. I don't understand anything about tech, but i what i read is that they liked how the architecture worked and wanted to keep that for the next consoles.

It's never impossible to have BC, i think. The real problem is the cost of having it and reasons to support that decision.
Whatever route Nintendo decides to take next gen will determine if at least the costs are low enough to keep the console at a reasonable price.

Iwata was talking about one platform and we never really got any clarification on what that means. But if IBM isn't making CPU for gaming systems then you can forgot BC.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#20 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:54 AM

Iwata was talking about one platform and we never really got any clarification on what that means. But if IBM isn't making CPU for gaming systems then you can forgot BC.

Here is the quote i was talking about:

"we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems." - http://www.nintendo....40130qa/02.html

He wants to use the type of Wii U architecture and use it on both Handheld and Home Console.

He doesn't give away all that he has planeed but the sheds some light on A5.

You can find it here: http://www.nintendo....40130qa/02.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!