Photo

Blu-Ray support a definite for the Wii 2?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 Mark

Mark

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:02 AM

In my opinion, Blu Ray is the way forward. I think the Xbox 360 has suffered from the lack of Blu Ray support. Some Xbox 360 games need to use more than 2 discs. I don't know for you, but I would find that pretty awkward for the Wii 2. So, lemme cut to the chase, do you think the Wii 2 will support Blu-Ray?

Some of the positives of Blu Ray:
-Much better graphics (i.e more detailed backgrounds)
- More memory on the disc
- More songs included on the actual disc

Overall Blu-Ray lets developers have more freedom.
Posted Image

#2 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:44 AM

Umm... How does Blu-Ray increase the graphics of a game? Isn't it only a data-storage device...

Well, anyway, so far only 2 Nintendo games that I know of have used a dual-layer DVD, one of which is really 3 games... So I don't think Nintendo is going to put blu-ray as a high priority...

Who knows, if they don't add video-playing support they might just use HD-DVD just to combat Sony XD
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#3 Revolution

Revolution

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:16 PM

Blu-ray does have better graphic quality's, altough I do not know how.

#4 Goose74

Goose74

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Sony

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:38 PM

Blu Ray is a definite.
Not only because of movies in that format but as Mark said that it improves games.
The disk has much more storage space for all the textures and sound and much more. so if you have a game that uses a next gen engine you will use highres textures. This need much space. Thats the point with the Xbox having in some games less good textures in relation to the PS3.
So if you want good textures and a big gaming world you need space that only blue ray has.
If Nintendo don´t support at least video playback in their next system they are a kind of stupid.
If you would get a survey with gamers than you would see that systems that use mediahub functionality are used also for this and not only for gaming.

Best regards.

Goose74 ;)

#5 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:43 PM

While Blu-ray is a great format with lots of advantages, I highly doubt Nintendo will use it, simply because it's Sony's technology. They'll probably use HD-DVD instead - its capacity isn't too far off from Blu-ray (40 GB vs. 50 GB), but the tech will be much cheaper to license, especially because it failed commercially and has since been abandoned. I do highly doubt that Ninty will stick with DVD's, whatever happens; as Goose74 said, a kickass GPU is useless if there isn't enough room on the disc to store high-res, high-poly assets.

#6 Goose74

Goose74

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Sony

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:14 AM

Sure they could use HD-DVD but as a format it is dead and won't be technological advancing. But games will evolve much more over time and will gettin bigger and bigger. Some games right now on PS3 use almost 50GB on Blue Ray. So the HDDVD is a dead end.
The newest Blu Ray has a capacity of more than 50GB. The format is evolving and gets more capacity each revision. They only have this option or another format that we don't know off. We will see whats coming. ;)

And Blu Ray is not Sony's child. It was researched by a consortium.
Reference: http://en.wikipedia....isc_Association
Firms: Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG (Lucky GoldStar) Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, and Samsung

Best regards.

Goose74 :D

#7 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:04 AM

Ok, so a few PS3 games use 50GBs... Like I said, only 2 Wii games use dual-layer DVDs. Therefore Nintendo hasn't seen a NEED for such massive storage space, HD-DVDs should be perfectly fine at first, and I'm sure they could add a third or fourth layer to the disk which would increase the space well over 50GB.

And the fact that it is discontinued means that Nintendo can easily get there hands on it, easily mess around with it and they won't have to boot up the consoles price as much.

Lastly, Sony is the company that pushes Blu-Ray the most. Nintendo doesn't want to make Sony-dominance easy, so throwing in HD-DVD would really scramble Sony's market, something they would love to do.

But if you REALLY want space, and doubt that HD-DVDs will go through, they could always go back to cartridges XD
I'm sure they could get a 50GB easily, and later make 100GB + ones ;)
Space would never be an issue again XD
Posted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#8 Revolution

Revolution

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:24 AM

Yes, they only use that less, because they are limited to it. Develepors can't make big games, because the storage capacity is limited.

#9 Epic Kirby

Epic Kirby

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby, Final Fantasy, Umeniko, DeathNote

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:34 AM

I have a weird feeling that they probably won't, because Nintendo never do the same things as other companies. When everyone was using normal size discs the Gamecube had those mini disc things. PSP had UMD discs and Nintendo was using cartridges still for the DS and the 3DS will have them.

If they need more space they will probably find their own way, if the rumours are true about the 8gb carts for the 3DS then I don't see how they could let there next home console have less gb than its little brother.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Check out my RP
Kirby Sig made by Anisaxis, thanks dude :)

#10 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:48 AM

Yes, they only use that less, because they are limited to it. Develepors can't make big games, because the storage capacity is limited.

Were they really limited to Single-Layer?
I'm sure if they really needed more space they could just use a dual... Unless there's some other reason they didn't?
Posted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#11 Mark

Mark

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:30 PM

Umm... How does Blu-Ray increase the graphics of a game? Isn't it only a data-storage device...

Well, anyway, so far only 2 Nintendo games that I know of have used a dual-layer DVD, one of which is really 3 games... So I don't think Nintendo is going to put blu-ray as a high priority...

Who knows, if they don't add video-playing support they might just use HD-DVD just to combat Sony XD

Blu-Ray does increase the graphics capabilities of the game, it makes the game look prettier, because you can store much more textures or even more detailed textures, you get what I mean ;)
Posted Image

#12 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:49 PM

I actually think there's a genuine chance they might go back to cartridges. Solid state memory has really dropped in price over the past few years, and cartridges offer a huge number of advantages over discs (the most notable being that they have no loading times, a problem which has ticked many a Playstion 3/Xbox 360/PC gamer off in the past few years). It really wouldn't be that expensive to make a modern 50 GB cart, as Wertville pointed out on the previous page.

#13 Mark

Mark

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:50 AM

I actually think there's a genuine chance they might go back to cartridges. Solid state memory has really dropped in price over the past few years, and cartridges offer a huge number of advantages over discs (the most notable being that they have no loading times, a problem which has ticked many a Playstion 3/Xbox 360/PC gamer off in the past few years). It really wouldn't be that expensive to make a modern 50 GB cart, as Wertville pointed out on the previous page.

Yeah, I don't think 50GB would be needed, but definitely 20GB.I would love cartridges, it would make the Wii 2 feel retro yet new xD
Posted Image

#14 Goose74

Goose74

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Sony

Posted 25 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

Yes cartridges would be fine too. I would love it. ;)

Best regards.

Goose74 :D

#15 Shnuk

Shnuk

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Gamecube, 3DS, Wii and Mario,

Posted 25 December 2010 - 03:30 PM

Cartriges. A new but still old idea.
Nintendo better make them fit into normal sized DVD cases. I always find that a problem with my N64. But if they do with the DS and 3DS they should and would probly continue with that.

Hey, I'm Jordan. I don't feel like I have a witty comment that won't sound really forced so I'm just going to have this sort of lame looking.
This is as exciting as it's goin to get:
My Name is Jordan and I come from Canada.

#16 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:06 PM

They could just use a supercharged version of a 3DS cartridge, which fits into a DS case (about half the size of a DVD case). For the sake of old-school appeal, they could make them a bit bigger, which would both help to differentiate them from 3DS carts and would allow them to physically cram more memory into it.

#17 Roy

Roy

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Fandom:
    Ninja Bread Man. Best. Game. Ever

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:34 AM

I like that, retro cartridges would be pretty old school and quite awesome.

Hello, I am Roy.

Posted Image

#18 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:07 PM

And it would help fight piracy. Nintendo just has to keep making firmware updates, like they're doing with the 3DS ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#19 Jikayaki

Jikayaki

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:41 PM

I doubt that Nintendo will re-use cartridges in their next console and Nintendo really don't need cartridges to fight piracy. Further more going by their history don't expect HD-DVD or Blu-Ray either. The whole point of Nintendo creating their own disk format was to avoid paying licensing fees to the DVD forum, prevent copyright infringement of their games, and to reduce load times. If Nintendo utilizes a new optical disk format expect Nintendo to do something similar utilizing Blu-Ray or HD-DVD technology to create their own HD optical disc format.

#20 Goose74

Goose74

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Sony

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:46 AM

I have no Problem with using their own format as long as it has enough storage space for all the games that demand it but it would be wise for Nintendo if they would give the users some kind of playback possibility for media.

Best regards.

Goose74 ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!