• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

The original XBOX was an interesting machine. A lot of people didn't know how it would do in the already crowded VG market, especially against the giants Nintendo and Sony. But Microsoft had a trick up their sleeve, and this trick came in the form of Halo. It basically saved the XBOX all by itself. Nintendo needs a game for the next generation that can do the same thing as Halo.

It could be argued that Nintendo already has franchises that are far more successful then Halo, and that's absolutely right - New super Mario Bros. sold 25 million copies. But they appeal to a completely different demographic; Nintendo's problem is that they don't have any games that appeal to the "COD" crowd. Your first reaction to that would be "good!" But that isn't good, not at all. Simply because it would appeal to a similar demographic doesn't mean the game would be bad, it simply means that it would appeal to a similar demographic. Kind of like, you know, Halo.

Nintendo did try this before with Metroid Prime. While it was absolutely successful in it's own right, let's face it; the series has a niche fanbase. Something about Prime didn't resonate with Halo players, be it the lack of Multiplayer, the excessive exploration, or even the fact that the main character was a girl; I get the impression most guys want to play as guys.

Whatever the reason, Prime didn't take off the way Halo did, though it did manage to get a few sequels that sold pretty well. I think Nintendo needs to try again for the Wii U, though, because of the reception of the Wii. Here in America, the XBOX360 is known as the "cool console", and a big part of that is Halo. Wii, of course, is known as the "casual console", and if Nintendo wants to grab the XBOX's image and take some of it's sales, they're gonna need an IP that can do that. Right now, they don't have one.

In my opinion, there are two studios that should make Nintendo's next big thing. the first one is, of course, Retro Studios. With their extensive experience with the Prime games, tweaking the experience and adding significant Multiplayer options could be just the thing the Wii U needs to get itself off the ground with the core audience.

On the other hand, if Retro is working on something else (like they probably are), then there's another option Nintendo could follow: High Voltage Software. They made The Conduit, by the way. If given a lot of support by Nintendo, they could get out of smaller stuff like The Grinder and make something huge, like Halo. There's tons of potential here, and if fully revealed, then it could be just the thing to get the Wii U moving.

Your thoughts?

#2 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Yes, but Halo come around just as the FPS fad was getting ground.

Nintendo shouldn't be aiming to make a new FPS, but rather something that gets them back into the game. Unfortunately, I think all the genres have been taken. The need to really innovate a genre or come up with a completely undiscovered one... that of course sells like Hotcakes.

... with maple syrup.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#3 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Normally I would say no, but in this situation where Nintendo needs to grab attention, I say yes.

#4 Rasvita

Rasvita

Spiny

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • NNID:Squish
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Fire Emblem, umm...others?

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

I think Nintendo should leave things like this to 3rd parties. The whole Halo/COD image doesn't really fit with Nintendo. We already know that there are going to be several shooter games such as that one that is the free to play game, the Aliens one, and the creepy creature Ubisoft one. I don't really see the need for Nintendo to worry about this.

NNID:  Squish

3DS :  2406-5151-7673

Steam:  Squishton Rasvita

#5 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

I think a team effort between High Voltage, and Nintendo could work really well. I loved the original Conduit, I wasn't a huge gan of Conduit 2, but the Grinder looked fun. If Nintendo gives them the right ammount of guidance, and freedom they could make something really great.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#6 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

I think Nintendo should leave things like this to 3rd parties. The whole Halo/COD image doesn't really fit with Nintendo.

It should, or it'll keep getting called kiddy.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#7 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

I hate when people say that's their argument on how Microsoft consoles are better than Nintendo ones.

#8 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

I hate when people say that's their argument on how Microsoft consoles are better than Nintendo ones.

It is less of an oppinion and more just people just wanting to prove that they are "cooler" than everyone else. It annoys the heck out of me.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#9 Reaper Pin

Reaper Pin

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Legend of Zelda Etc.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

You know what Samus needed at the time for the dudebros?
To be attractive or "Hot" Look at the way Zero Suit Samus was designed in SSBB, and she got a lot of fans after that.
I wish that rumor about Epic working on a Wii U Metroid was true.

This is the rumor I'm talking about:http://systemwars.co...game-for-wii-u/

Edited by Reaper Pin, 30 April 2012 - 08:25 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Rasvita

Rasvita

Spiny

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • NNID:Squish
  • Fandom:
    One Piece, Fire Emblem, umm...others?

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

I'd rather them be called kiddy than have them lose their fun, Nintendo-y feel. Even for games like Metroid, I would prefer that they stay away from the very "mature" feeling.

NNID:  Squish

3DS :  2406-5151-7673

Steam:  Squishton Rasvita

#11 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

They do need a generic First Person Shooter, I agree.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#12 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

It is less of an oppinion and more just people just wanting to prove that they are "cooler" than everyone else. It annoys the heck out of me.

I try to stay away from people like that.

#13 Chinomanila

Chinomanila

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda,Bioshock,Pikmin

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

I agree with you to some extent. I do think Nintendo needs a FPS that attracts gamer's who like Halo type games, but they should not make a clone of the game. I would love to see Retro Studios make a creative/beautiful FPS that is heavily story based and does not have a 5 hour campaign like CoD. I know Irrational did this with Bioshock and it worked out for them nicely.
Posted Image

#14 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

I think Nintendo will NEVER be able to change their image. It's stuck in the haters heads. Only if they would completely abandon IPs like Mario and make the most powerful and mature looking console they could start thinking about it. But even still, those people will stay with their own consoles.
No sig.

#15 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

To be attractive or "Hot" Look at the way Zero Suit Samus was designed in SSBB, and she got a lot of fans after that.

It's a secret shame for many gamers. -_-

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#16 KennGalaxy

KennGalaxy

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

It would be nice if Nintendo came up with something of a Halo or even Uncharted themselves. However I feel if they would just get near equal 3rd party support as PS3 /X360 get, I don't think many people would mind.

The PS3 doesn't have a 'Halo', they try (Resistance, Killzone etc..) but I think the fact that they get the Battlefields, COD's, Skyrims, Saints Rows etc... is why people don't talk about them needing a game like that.

#17 Deadly Virus

Deadly Virus

Boo

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • Fandom:
    3D Mario, Metroid, F-Zero, Pokémon, SSB

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:28 AM

Retro's game, guys. As long as that one quote was correct, then they should be making something "targetted at 360/PS3 audiences" and "very visually impressive". Sounds like the perfect fit for a Halo-style hardcore killer app. ^_^

Posted Image

#18 Wix

Wix

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Assassin's Creed

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:48 AM

Guys want to play as guys? wtf is wrong with me

i sold my brain on ebay

wob wob wob wob

i still love marina :'(

#19 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:12 AM

It would be cool to see HVS work with Nintendo to make a Conduit 3 with a much more mature setting with some flesh out character a good sized Campaign with Micheal Ford going back to his old personality (still a more talkative than Conduit 1) and some great multiplayer.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#20 Narcidius

Narcidius

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Zelda, Star Fox

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:28 AM

They do need a generic First Person Shooter, I agree.

Sarcasm, anyone?

... but really, I think the OP was talking about a game that filled the function of Halo (solid, complex mechanics, cool visual styling, and a decently rich narrative structure with the opportunity for deep lore). Uncharted does SOME of this for the playstation (the basic mechanics are a bit unpolished, the play is a bit linear, and there's very little opportunity for lore), as does killzone, infamous, and god of war... but I think that a lot of sony's difficulty (other than prohibitive price) has to do with the lack of that one title that really nails all three aspects.

I agree that Nintendo needs this. Their internal focus has always been on play mechanics - which really makes sense as a bedrock starting point for game design. But to really capture nerddome in its entirety (I'm not talking about the so-called "graphics whores" or kids that just want to look cool, here), you need a world that offers everything in one package.

I agree that Retro is currently the best candidate to do this, from many angles... but I have yet to see them foray into the realm of a truly new IP...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!