• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Koldur

Koldur

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:43 AM

Was just brainstorming about something. The thing I like so much about the cartridges is the fact that they contain the savegames and they are silent while playing them. There have been quite some discussions about how to get some kind of a way to play a game without a disc and I came up with an idea:

Why not make a small cartridge (not containing the full game, just the game ID, the save game space and some kind of DRM) which can be inserted in the Wii U and you have to download the game to the Wii U (obviously for cost reduction, if you would have the full games on cartridges, prices of the cartridges would be way too high) to be able to play the game. Though, you will also have to insert the cartridge to play, this in first case to ensure you have legally purchased the game, but secondly to save your game.

This way you will have all the perks of the cartridge (except for the one, the full game on the cartridge) and all the perks of downloaded games!

They could still do this theoretically, though I would not see them doing it of course, but this would be one hell of a sweet way to solve many small annoyances with disc based games. No more scratching, save games on the cart and no noise, the only drawback is that you need to download the game which can take some time before you can play your game.

This way you could also sell your Wii U and keep your games including save games, play your game at friends with your save data and much more. I think this would be pretty easy to do and a lot of people would like this as well, might be wrong there of course.

They would have to keep the disc based releases of course, if they would ever even think of doing this ;) , to implement this way of making a game play on the Wii U.

Just wanted to discuss how people would look at this option if it were to be released.

#2 NegaScott128

NegaScott128

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:12 AM

The discs already hold 25GB. They'll be fine for a while.

#3 Koldur

Koldur

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:14 AM

The discs already hold 25GB. They'll be fine for a while.

Or you haven't read my post AT ALL, or you do not understand the concept, I do not know which would be worse, but if you are going to make useless posts, please do so elsewhere.

#4 NegaScott128

NegaScott128

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:39 AM

I get the concept fine, I just don't know what the point would be.

#5 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:40 AM

Buy a USB hard drive to get this.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#6 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:25 AM

I think the Journey Collector's Edition on the PS3 worked something to that effect.

Basically, you have to install a certain portion of the three games on your PS3, but you also have to have the disc inside the PS3 when you play it. It's kinda neat and rather annoying all at the same time.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#7 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

I get the concept fine, I just don't know what the point would be.

It's about game saves. And I don't see the point. There are better ways to accomplish game saves.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#8 Koldur

Koldur

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:12 AM

It is about more things, seems that my post is too long so here a sum up:

No discs used, but cartridges that means:

No scratching, no noise of a spinning disc, saves can indeed be placed on the cartridge, and this way you can sell your semi digital downloadable games as well. 

You do not have to agree, but if you react, be constructive, no one has been yet. 

#9 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:12 AM

This sounds like a terrible idea, if you want something to save games in other than the system, just get a HDD. And the entire reselling idea would probably not work if the game isn't even in the cartridge but just the saves are.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#10 Koldur

Koldur

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:21 AM

It seems that the idea is hard to grasp, while it is not that difficult.

This way you can use your save games on different consoles, the way it is done now is that the save games only work on the console you saved it on and if that console dies, your save games are gone (even if you put them on a seperate HD you still cannot use them on another Wii U console). Again, this also does away with discs which often scratch and are quite noisy if you ask me (while still offering the option of discs since the current console wouldn't be able to play the cartridges).

It would not be all that different from normal cartridges, try to see the game download as DLC to a normal 3DS cartridge, you can always use, thus resell, that cartridge.

Though it clearly seems that this option would not be that popular lol, though it seems mostly because of the misinterpretation of the way it works.

#11 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

You obviously skipped Xbox 360 where we can already keep our profile, save games AND downloadable games on a USB stick and use them on any console, as long as you are signed into your account online.

The only difference is you are proposing a USB stick that effectively is an unlock key for the game, allowing you to sell it on later if you get bored with the game.

However that still means you have to swap them when you want to play a different game, plus it would be more expensive to manufacture.

Far cheaper to just let us put our games and saves on a standard USB stick with DRM locking them down to our profile.  Of course, Nintendo couldn't even manage to GIVE US a profile, so there isn't much chance of that.  Quite frankly, the way the Wii U handles digital content utterly sucks and there is no good reason for it.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 26 March 2013 - 08:50 AM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#12 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

The pros I see is that load times will be severely reduced.

But if you want to bring your savegame to a friend's house, that would be cool.

But, for example, let's say you have Lego City: Undercover. You better hope that your friend also has that game downloaded on their system, because 19 gigabytes might take a bit to download on the average connection speed. (~13 megabits per second = 1.6 megabytes per second = ~202 hours)

And once companies start taking advantage of dual-layer WiiU proprietary discs? Pick a god a pray. 

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#13 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

If Nintendo were smart and locked external HDDs to your profile instead of your console, in the same way the Xbox 360 does with memory sticks, you could easily carry a small external HDD to your friends house, negating the download issue.

The reason Xbox 360 cannot do this is due to the fact it was originally designed to only use proprietary memory cards, so they adapted the OS to emulate those memory cards on a standard memory stick which seems to have limited how big they could handle (as they have to split it into multiple files for FAT32 compatibility).  Plus they charge a fortune for the HDD so there isn't really any motivation to give you a viable alternative.

As the Wii U doesn't use memory cards at all right now, except SD cards for Wii backwards compatibility, they should be able to write the feature from scratch. 

The Wii U already has to automatically adjust its save location from internal to external memory automatically depending on if a HDD is connected or not, and it seems to work pretty well (although it would be nice if we could choose).  So the only barrier is the fact we do not have proper roaming profile system and everything is being locked to the console, instead of our online user account.

Unfortunately, thats a HUGE barrier and I'm not holding my breath expecting them to fix it.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 26 March 2013 - 09:23 AM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#14 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

It is about more things, seems that my post is too long so here a sum up:

No discs used, but cartridges that means:
No scratching, no noise of a spinning disc, saves can indeed be placed on the cartridge, and this way you can sell your semi digital downloadable games as well.

You do not have to agree, but if you react, be constructive, no one has been yet.

Yes, all those things are apart of your original post. One, you could see the cartridge but it wouldn't come with the game so it seems pointless. Two, this is pointless. Why nit buy a cheap, portable USB and download the game? That fixes everything and would be cheaper.

And secondly, I was constructive. I said, replying to someone else there are better ways to accomplish your goal. Didn't go into detial because I was nit replying to you.

It seems that the idea is hard to grasp, while it is not that difficult.

This way you can use your save games on different consoles, the way it is done now is that the save games only work on the console you saved it on and if that console dies, your save games are gone (even if you put them on a seperate HD you still cannot use them on another Wii U console). Again, this also does away with discs which often scratch and are quite noisy if you ask me (while still offering the option of discs since the current console wouldn't be able to play the cartridges).
It would not be all that different from normal cartridges, try to see the game download as DLC to a normal 3DS cartridge, you can always use, thus resell, that cartridge.

Though it clearly seems that this option would not be that popular lol, though it seems mostly because of the misinterpretation of the way it works.

That was not in your original post, nor was it in the post I replied, nor do o believe that is valid. Are you sure mu USB won't work on another Wii U?

Talking just game saves, not the downloaded game.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#15 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

This makes no sense at all, and yes I read the post, twice.

#16 Koldur

Koldur

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

I think the XBOX360 argument is a good one, that is the most feasible way to tackle the save game problem indeed, as well as the digitally bought games. In that case this whole plan would be nullified except for the reselling point (when digitally downloaded) or the disc scratching/noise (in case you have physically bought the game), though I do not think that would be enough reason to go through this process.

I never have owned an XBOX360 or a PS3, so I never thought about that, it seems that Nintendo really should update the way they handle the now non existent digital profiles. 

#17 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

USB sticks, you can plug them into the wiiU and use them to play games, only sideeffect i heard is games are read slower from USB than disks.

#18 Jason777123

Jason777123

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

I still think they should just stop being cheap and go back to cartridges. The only advantage discs have over cartridges are that they are cheaper. It's not like size is a problem anymore either, because they could fit 2 terabytes in a N64-sized cartridge nowadays. Faster loading times and being able to save stuff to the cartridge (imagine downloading DLC to it) are just a few benefits of cartridges.

#19 Koldur

Koldur

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

I still think they should just stop being cheap and go back to cartridges. The only advantage discs have over cartridges are that they are cheaper. It's not like size is a problem anymore either, because they could fit 2 terabytes in a N64-sized cartridge nowadays. Faster loading times and being able to save stuff to the cartridge (imagine downloading DLC to it) are just a few benefits of cartridges.

That would be the best way if you ask me! Though as you said, they are too cheap for that I am afraid.

#20 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:35 AM

tboss, on 27 Mar 2013 - 12:13, said:"USB sticks, you can plug them into the wiiU and use them to play games, only sideeffect i heard is games are read slower from USB than disks."

Actually, they read faster off usb's (2 & 3, anyway), which makes me wonder why people were annoyed that it only supports up to usb 2.

Sorry, I can't quote right, I'm on my wii u.

Edited by R00bot, 16 April 2013 - 04:36 AM.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!