#1 ElderKnight77

ElderKnight77

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Fandom:
    anything Nintendo

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:03 PM

It seems like most western big publishers (sans Ubisoft) have abandoned the Wii U.  That should not come as a surprise as Nintendo's systems are usually devoid of third party support regardless of success. One just has to look at the Wii and in some cases the 3DS compared to the lackluster Vita (which still garners much exclusives despite it's pathetic sales).  With the current situation, Nintendo cannot be the sole bearer to support the system.  I believe that in order to remain relevant, Nintendo should start courting the independent developing community especially the ones using Unity.  There are a number of games out there that uses Unity that would or could be a great fit for the Wii U.  Since, the many of these developers are making iOS, Android, etc games the Wii U gamepad would make a great match when developing Wii U games in concurence to those platforms!!! I believe Nintendo should heavily invest in a partnership with Unity; as that platform has the highest potential growth for independent developers.

A few games I like using Unity are:

BladeSlinger

bladeslinger02.jpg

Pid:1351900563_37311835.jpg

max curse of the brotherhood:

med_max-the-curse-of-brotflqjk.jpg

Oliver and Spike (confirmed for Wii U)

aqual_exclusive.jpg

Edited by ElderKnight77, 27 March 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#2 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

They are doing just that.  They've removed all of the barriers to create and self publish games on the eShop and also lowered the costs and restrictions associated with getting dev units if someone wants to move beyond unity.

#3 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

the indie games are pretty good for the wii u. i ddnt care for the gameplay for the cave much but the naration was good and chasing auroa is a coplete wase of money. if it was only a few dollars then it would be better but its 15 normally and i got if for 8 and it sucks bc there isnt anything to do besides fly around in circles. waiting for mighty switch force 2 to be ported to wii u. these games are much better than the indie games for the 360.

They are doing just that.  They've removed all of the barriers to create and self publish games on the eShop and also lowered the costs and restrictions associated with getting dev units if someone wants to move beyond unity.

wait. what barriers? i hope it isnt the ones that seem to be making them good games like having to have a studio dedicated to the game or having to be able to have at least one game out. i really dont want games that the 360 had to infect the wiiu.

#4 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

Runner 2 is also a great indie title, and there are plenty of others already available and confirmed upcoming.

#5 namkotje

namkotje

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

The more indie games, the better! :)

at least something positive about the Wii U.

needsthisfinal2_zps12b5fb7d.gif

#6 Blade of Dyna

Blade of Dyna

Spear Guy

• Banned
  • 84 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kirby and Zelda

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Ok let me get this straight if i was an indie dev and wanted to make a game using Nintendo characters for eshop, Nintendo would let me to do it without copyright and restrictions?

#7 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

Ok let me get this straight if i was an indie dev and wanted to make a game using Nintendo characters for eshop, Nintendo would let me to do it without copyright and restrictions?

*sigh* no you can't blatantly rip off video game characters from other companies and sell them for profit, on anything.  You read a little too far into "restrictions".  Nintendo used to be very picky as to what made it to their consoles, and there were several hoops to jump through to get a publishing license for their system.  That is what they've lessened.

#8 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

http://thewiiu.com/t...91-unity-engine

Nintendo are also revealing their own sdk for rapid shovelware development at GDC later today I believe.

"Nintendo Web Framework", which allows for iOS-style "applications" for the Wii U.

http://schedule2013....ssion-id/824119

It's actually started already.

Edited by Nollog, 27 March 2013 - 01:32 PM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#9 ElderKnight77

ElderKnight77

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Fandom:
    anything Nintendo

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

the indie games are pretty good for the wii u. i ddnt care for the gameplay for the cave much but the naration was good and chasing auroa is a coplete wase of money. if it was only a few dollars then it would be better but its 15 normally and i got if for 8 and it sucks bc there isnt anything to do besides fly around in circles. waiting for mighty switch force 2 to be ported to wii u. these games are much better than the indie games for the 360.

wait. what barriers? i hope it isnt the ones that seem to be making them good games like having to have a studio dedicated to the game or having to be able to have at least one game out. i really dont want games that the 360 had to infect the wiiu.

• MSF is already on eShop.
  • eShop is miles ahead of WiiWare, but the content is still not as robust as XBLA which has great games such as Braid, Outland, Dust, ShadowComplex, Limbo, and Bastion.  But it's getting there and has the potential to be better seeing how competitve the price Nintendo is charging for the eShop  in comparison to XBLA, PSN, iOS, and even Android.
  • I really believe that Nintendo should either partner with Unity to make their engine the preferred engine for Wii U developers (1/4-1/8 the cost of UE4 from what I heard) and purchase the company and gain access to a wider market by having indies develop games using the engine.  Unity is going to be really big!!!

Edited by ElderKnight77, 27 March 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#10 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

• eShop is miles ahead of WiiWare, but the content is still not as robust as XBLA which has great games such as Braid, Outland, Dust, ShadowComplex, Limbo, and Bastion.  But it's getting there and has the potential to be better seeing how competitve the price Nintendo is charging for the eShop  in comparison to XBLA, PSN, iOS, and even Android.
  • I really believe that Nintendo should either partner with Unity to make their engine the preferred engine for Wii U developers (1/4-1/8 the cost of UE4 from what I heard) and purchase the company and gain access to a wider market by having indies develop games using the engine.  Unity is going to be really big!!!

i was talking about mighty switch force "2"and iv seen a looooot of bad indie games on xbox. ones that shouldnt even see the light of day.

#11 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

might switch force 2 is the sequel to mighty switch force.

Also, unity isn't as powerful as cryengine or unreal.

They already include licenses for it in the wii u devkit.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#12 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

well routerbad said "They've removed all of the barriers to create and self publish games on the eShop" 

what barriers bc i rather like the fact that they need to have a studio dedicated to aking games and that they need experience.

#13 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

well routerbad said "They've removed all of the barriers to create and self publish games on the eShop" 

what barriers bc i rather like the fact that they need to have a studio dedicated to aking games and that they need experience.

Barriers like having to sell 1,000 or some number like that before you see 1 cent of money from your work.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#14 ElderKnight77

ElderKnight77

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Fandom:
    anything Nintendo

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

might switch force 2 is the sequel to mighty switch force.

Also, unity isn't as powerful as cryengine or unreal.

They already include licenses for it in the wii u devkit.

I know...but Unity is more of what fits Nintendo's philosphy (Wii U while above the PS360 isn't as powerful as PS4 etc) providing adequate and competent visuals while providing killer gameplay, art direction etc.  Besides the cost of UE and CE is prohibitive to most indie developers and is meant for big budget developers and publishers. Those guys seem to avoid Nintendo consoles like it had scabies (besides Ubisoft) ; hence Nintendo's best bet is being a haven for indies which has the potential to be big developers someday.

Edited by ElderKnight77, 27 March 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#15 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

Barriers like having to sell 1,000 or some number like that before you see 1 cent of money from your work.

ooo thats seems harsh lol. glad it got removed so we can see more games.

#16 ElderKnight77

ElderKnight77

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Fandom:
    anything Nintendo

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

i was talking about mighty switch force "2"and iv seen a looooot of bad indie games on xbox. ones that shouldnt even see the light of day.

Opps...my bad. Anyways, bad games are everywhere; even on the Wii U. One cannot deny that XBLA is currently the leader for indies with a lot of great games in comparison to some really bad ones.  I still believe if Nintendo plays it's cards right that the Wii U can surpass what XBLA did and be a gaming heaven for indie development!

#17 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

Opps...my bad. Anyways, bad games are everywhere; even on the Wii U. One cannot deny that XBLA is currently the leader for indies with a lot of great games in comparison to some really bad ones.  I still believe if Nintendo plays it's cards right that the Wii U can surpass what XBLA did and be a gaming heaven for indie development!

so do i. it seems to be going well for them. im hoping the ruls for putting indie games on their system will prevent really bad ones to jump onboard like a parasite.

#18 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

I know...but Unity is more of what fits Nintendo's philosphy (Wii U while above the PS360 isn't as powerful as PS4 etc) providing adequate and competent visuals while providing killer gameplay, art direction etc.  Besides the cost of UE and CE is prohibitive to most indie developers and is meant for big budget developers and publishers. Those guys seem to avoid Nintendo consoles like it had scabies (besides Ubisoft) ; hence Nintendo's best bet is being a haven for indies which has the potential to be big developers someday.

You don't need to use an outside engine to make a decent indie game.

"Those guys" are the big publishers?

Look where their mentality is bringing them, ea, square, thq.

activision is on the market, the group who owns it knows the current trend with the big publishers isn't going to end well.

PS4 isn't much more powerful than the PS3 or Wii U.

The only thing it has is more RAM, the bulk of which will probably be cordoned off for backseat gaming over the internet, miiversestation, and share buttons.

What does this mean for down ports? Shorter draw distance on wii u, more loading screens. Maybe.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#19 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

Some studios start out as garage developers, and some really great content can come from those sources.  They don't have to get concept approval from Nintendo anymore, they can set their own prices and dates, this all just came out of GDC, so that's on top of the policy changes that happened when the Wii U launched.

You don't need to use an outside engine to make a decent indie game.

"Those guys" are the big publishers?

Look where their mentality is bringing them, ea, square, thq.

activision is on the market, the group who owns it knows the current trend with the big publishers isn't going to end well.

PS4 isn't much more powerful than the PS3 or Wii U.

The only thing it has is more RAM, the bulk of which will probably be cordoned off for backseat gaming over the internet, miiversestation, and share buttons.

What does this mean for down ports? Shorter draw distance on wii u, more loading screens. Maybe.

Exactly.

#20 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

https://gdc2013.nintendo.com

https://pbs.twimg.co...dfBCMAAwsFw.jpg

They are putting a focus on unity at gdc it seems.

more!

BGZS7TfCYAAzQ5_.jpg

I really wish there was a stream of it, I'd be interested :(

Edited by Nollog, 27 March 2013 - 02:36 PM.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!