Photo

Isn't the lack of marketing a contributor to poor Wii U sales?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Ace

Ace

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

I think Nintendo should bring more attention to it's marketing strategies. There are people who still think that the Wii U is an add-on to the original Wii and some people don't even know that Nintendo came out with a new console. Shouldn't Nintendo focus more on marketing for this Holiday season?

#2 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

Yeah there are still people thinking it's an add-on for Wii Fit

Edited by RogueStatus28, 25 June 2013 - 10:17 PM.

#3 Trash Waifu

Trash Waifu

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

I still think Nintendo would've been better off calling the console something like Stream, and showing off the actual console itself at every possible moment. 

Edited by Rainbow Dash, 25 June 2013 - 10:25 PM.

#4 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

"The Wii U? Oh that's the thing you use with Wii Fit... It's like an add-on for Wii Fit you use to hold up"

#5 Trash Waifu

Trash Waifu

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

"The Wii U? Oh that's the thing you use with Wii Fit... It's like an add-on for Wii Fit you use to hold up"

I've heard this irl. Wii U wasn't a great name choice at all.

#6 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

Well Nintendo has been trying to amp up marketing, visiting popular summer travel places like Disney Land. But sociey as a whole probably still cant figure it out. They want it nice and simple like Wii2.

Stupid Snowmads!

#7 Gruff

Gruff

Jigglypuff

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Animal Crossing, SSB, Nintendo

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:09 PM

You go out and ask someone: "What's a Wii U" they will probably say "I don't know... A Wii for U? DERP" A lot of people don't know what Wii U is, and it's because Nintendo never gave the consumer enough information to know the differnce between Wii and Wii U. People can be stupid. They must have an explanation on everything or they just can't seem to figure out what something is...

Villager.jpgBleh eh eh.

#8 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

You go out and ask someone: "What's a Wii U" they will probably say "I don't know... A Wii for U? DERP" A lot of people don't know what Wii U is, and it's because Nintendo never gave the consumer enough information to know the differnce between Wii and Wii U. People can be stupid. They must have an explanation on everything or they just can't seem to figure out what something is...

"The U is the controller which goes with the regular Wii then you have the Wii U then you put it on the ground and get the Wiimote and play golf"

Edited by RogueStatus28, 25 June 2013 - 11:44 PM.

#9 Mushlikeahusky1

Mushlikeahusky1

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi and luigis mansion.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:40 AM

I thought the wii u was a new DS for the t.v. ARE PEOPLE REALLY THIS horsing STUPID I MEAN COME ON 

#10 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:27 AM

Duh, they aren't doing anything, besides Lego City i haven't seen the Wii U on the T.V since. My guess is they are going to wait until all the big games come out then advertise it.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#11 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:28 AM

I think Nintendo should bring more attention to it's marketing strategies. There are people who still think that the Wii U is an add-on to the original Wii and some people don't even know that Nintendo came out with a new console. Shouldn't Nintendo focus more on marketing for this Holiday season?

It's been discussed many times on the forums here. Basically the lack of marketing stems from the lack of games. There have been times of software drought, but occasionally there have been tv commercials and other marketing efforts in effect.

Nintendo created flyers and full color guides showing off the system and the differences between it's predecessor. They were displayed in stores like KMART and a few others, and were free to take.

It also comes down to the sales rep and how well the individual does at selling the system. As more titles release in August, September and through the holidays you'll see Nintendo in your face more and more.

Edited by Sorceror12, 26 June 2013 - 02:29 AM.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#12 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:30 AM

Poor marketing is one of the issues. It's not the only one, though. By launching the Wii U earlier, they could have easily gotten an edge over the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One if they actually released worthwhile software titles sooner in its life. They've pretty much blown that opportunity.

#13 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

They should focus the advertising on games. When people see their favorite 3DS game with a sequel and multiplayer and they see a HD DK and they see Pikman 3 and Wonderful 101 and they see how awesome Watch Dogs looks on Wii U and how the GamePad is a perfect fit for that game ... They will have no choice but to buy the Wii U.

Don't advertise a console that you can't easily advertise. But the games are easy to do.

And to answer your question yes it is a factor.

That's why you advertise the games not the system. They'll figure it out then.

"Ooh I can't get new DK because Wii isn't HD. So it's like the difference between DVD and Bluray. Okay!"

That's what some ppl will say and it will just click.

I've heard this irl. Wii U wasn't a great name choice at all.

Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#14 GreenPenInk

GreenPenInk

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

Yes.  I only really became aware of the Wii U's existence a couple weeks ago. I haven't heard any discussion on it online, there have been zero posts on my Facebook/social media about it, not once in real life has my conversation ever been anywhere near the topic of the Wii U. Right now Wii U buzz is trapped in little pockets like this site for the most part.

zeldasig.jpg

#15 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

People watch TV? 

People don't have adblock on their browsers? 

:blink:

#16 Coggit

Coggit

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

Duh, they aren't doing anything, besides Lego City i haven't seen the Wii U on the T.V since. My guess is they are going to wait until all the big games come out then advertise it.

I guess you're in the UK? I saw 1 advert for Lego City when my cousin was watching cartoon network - funnily, completely targeting the wrong audience. The average cartoon network audience can't just go out and buy a U... There is a LOT of 3DS advertising at the moment though - I'm sick of seeing them actually, haha. Oddly though, there is a Monster Hunter advert, but the only mention the 3DS version and ignore the Wii U edition.

#17 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:43 AM

I think this too. They have a lot of games coming out finally. They better have ads running everywhere for 5 months strait if they want this thing to succeed. 

#18 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:35 AM

If projections hold, Wii U will have an advantage- both PS4 and Xbone are supposed to have about 3m- with Wii U to have 6m for the full year......

Poor marketing is one of the issues. It's not the only one, though. By launching the Wii U earlier, they could have easily gotten an edge over the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One if they actually released worthwhile software titles sooner in its life. They've pretty much blown that opportunity.

#19 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:35 AM

Yep, Nintendo's advertising is completely terrible.

#20 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:55 AM

Nintendo has a little display for its 3ds at Walmart....  It has very good position,as anybody passing by would notice this before any other systems.  They should either combine or do this for WiiU....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!