Photo

Potential buyer, help please! advice needed!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Monk21

Monk21

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

Hi guys and I hope I am in the right place! Here is why I am posting.

I used to have a Wii a couple of years ago and I had fun with it. It never replaced my serious gaming media (playstation, PC etc) though. I am an adult (way passed that lol), been a serious gamer all my life and I have understood that from each console you get different things. What I enjoyed doing with Wii though was playing fun sport games like bowling, archery, tennis etc, having great fun with old friends like Mario, mario kart etc and also having some more interesting things to do like exercise etc. Things that you cannot do with your PC or PS3/4. Not yet or not as easily anyway.

Now my questions are

1) Will wiiU give me the same AND more of the features Wii gave me? Is there anything I could do with my Wii that I will not be able to do with a Wii U?

2) Can wiiU play ALL wii games 100% AND online? For example if I play lets sayyyyy mario kart, the wii game, on my wiiU, will I be able to compete online with wii gamers?

3) Are all accessories fully compatible? Can i use my old wii controllers with the wiiU?

4) Is it a console with future? I don't want to buy a console that in a year will become obsolete.

5) Is the Zelda game worthy like other Zelda games were in the past? For example one of my favourite game ever was "The ocarina of time". Will this one give me the same feelings?

That's it for now and I know I will come up with more questions in the future. Thanks!

#2 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

Hi guys and I hope I am in the right place! Here is why I am posting.

I used to have a Wii a couple of years ago and I had fun with it. It never replaced my serious gaming media (playstation, PC etc) though. I am an adult (way passed that lol), been a serious gamer all my life and I have understood that from each console you get different things. What I enjoyed doing with Wii though was playing fun sport games like bowling, archery, tennis etc, having great fun with old friends like Mario, mario kart etc and also having some more interesting things to do like exercise etc. Things that you cannot do with your PC or PS3/4. Not yet or not as easily anyway.

Now my questions are

1) Will wiiU give me the same AND more of the features Wii gave me? Is there anything I could do with my Wii that I will not be able to do with a Wii U?

2) Can wiiU play ALL wii games 100% AND online? For example if I play lets sayyyyy mario kart, the wii game, on my wiiU, will I be able to compete online with wii gamers?

3) Are all accessories fully compatible? Can i use my old wii controllers with the wiiU?

4) Is it a console with future? I don't want to buy a console that in a year will become obsolete.

5) Is the Zelda game worthy like other Zelda games were in the past? For example one of my favourite game ever was "The ocarina of time". Will this one give me the same feelings?

That's it for now and I know I will come up with more questions in the future. Thanks!

1. The Wii U can play all of your Wii games, but it cannot play GameCube games.
  2. You should be able to play your Wii games online, provided the games' servers are still active.
  3. All of your Wii accessories/controllers are forwards-compatibile with the Wii U, the GameCube ones are not.
  4. The Wii U will probably last until 2016 or 2017. Given how the GameCube was Nintendo's worst selling console, it still lasted four years in the market.
  5. Wind Waker HD is pretty good, especially if you haven't played the GameCube version before. But as for an original Zelda title, we know nothing about the next main-line title. There is Hyrule Warriors, which appears to be a Zelda-themed Dynasty Warriors title.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#3 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:14 PM

1. I'm pretty sure the Wii U has practically all the features the Wii has, even more. With video chat, Nintendo TVii, and Miiverse being some new additions.

2. Yes, every Wii game can be played on Wii U. It'll be through an application called Wii Mode, where it basically acts like a Wii. You can even preform a system transfer to transfer your save data and downloaded games. You will have to use a Wii Remote though. Also, since there's no GameCube controller port, you won't be able to use it.

3. Yep, Wii Remotes/Wii Remote Pluses, Nunchucks, Classic Controllers and other accessories work with Wii U. Both new Wii U games and Wii games use them.

4. Most likely, the Wii U is only a year old. I doubt Nintendo will give up on it despite poor sales. You can bet about 5 years or possibly more.

5. As of now, there's only two Wii U Zelda games. Wind Waker HD is a remake of the GameCube Wind Waker (which plays like a regular Zelda game). While Hyrule Warriors is a spinoff game that doesn't play like a regular Zelda game, more action and battle oriented. Although Nintendo has said they're working on a new Zelda, which will most likely play like a regular Zelda game.

#4 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

And if you want to use a game cube controller their is a third party accessory that connects the gamecube controller to the wiimote. But still can't play gamecube games unless you softmod the wii part. 

They got rid of some of the online channels from the wii, But it has all of the other stuff, and the wii u side has way more, Mii Verse, TVii, Great browser (Best from any console/handheld).

Stupid Snowmads!

#5 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:20 AM

Now my questions are

1, 2 and 3: The Wii U has a Wii Emulator inside it, so it literally does everything the same as a Wii, heck you can even go to the Wii's Eshop on it. So yes it has all the features (Plus you can play wii games without the TV, just use your gamepad as the TV). Every single game works and is online and all accessories are compatible, wii motes, nunchuck, extra add on things etc.

4. Console of the future... Not too sure what you mean, if you mean will Nintendo still be making games for it in 5 years time, then yes, will third parties... most likely they will be, but I can't say for certain. 

5. No idea, If you haven't played Zelda Wind waker, than the HD version will be good for you. But the new Zelda U we know Nothing about besides that it's suppose to have a skyrim feeling, I think it means there's going to be a lot of exploration in it. Ooh, and a Spin-off Zelda called Hyrule warriors, although it's nothing like Ocarina of time at all. 

Edited by Chrop, 24 December 2013 - 05:21 AM.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:26 AM

You're too serious for a Wii U, pass on it.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 Monk21

Monk21

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:55 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I am looking for 4 major things on my wiiU.

1) the ability to go and grab cheap wii games from stores and play then

2) playing old favourites (even if the actual game is new) like mario, zelda etc

3) having fun with the family by playing games where u have to run, jump, bowl etc

4) be able to sell it when the market dies instead of just keeping it in my collection.

I think if all those are met, then I am buying it.

Two more things. Firstly, I am not sure I get what the last member before this post meant :) secondly, any of you that have played both this hd zelda and ocarina of time? Are these new zelda games worthy of the zelda past?

#8 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:52 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I am looking for 4 major things on my wiiU.

1) the ability to go and grab cheap wii games from stores and play then

2) playing old favourites (even if the actual game is new) like mario, zelda etc

3) having fun with the family by playing games where u have to run, jump, bowl etc

4) be able to sell it when the market dies instead of just keeping it in my collection.

I think if all those are met, then I am buying it.

Two more things. Firstly, I am not sure I get what the last member before this post meant :) secondly, any of you that have played both this hd zelda and ocarina of time? Are these new zelda games worthy of the zelda past?

1. It'll happen
  2. It'll happen
  3. It'll hopefully happen unless your family hates your face
  4. It'll probably happen

As for the poster above you, ignore him. As for Wind Waker HD, yes it is very good. However, Ocarina of Time 3D isn't playable on the Wii U, but it is a very good title to get if you own a 3DS.

GameZombie44.png

#9 Monk21

Monk21

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

I actually meant that I played Ocarina of time for DAYS straight on my Nintendo 64 when it came out. 

#10 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

You're too serious for a Wii U, pass on it.

+1

You're not going to be impressed.

#11 Monk21

Monk21

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

Well, I am already impressed by how I can control my cable box and TV with the wii remote! lol. As you understood I got it. I will post my feelings as they come

#12 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:12 PM

Well, I am already impressed by how I can control my cable box and TV with the wii remote! lol. As you understood I got it. I will post my feelings as they come

You'll be impressed. Probably. People just like to drag on it because its not PsOne. If Zelda, Mario, and fun is what your looking for, then this is the system for you.

Stupid Snowmads!

#13 Monk21

Monk21

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

Update on my impressions

+ excellent design, especially the Zelda pack looks great

+ impressed with the GamePad

- angry at the time it takes to set it up and download/install new update

question: In the store I found the wii remote (the thing that you connect to the nunchuck) for $45 and the same thing in a bundle with a game (mario etc) for $60. Are these games worth it? 

#14 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:18 PM

You'll be impressed. Probably. People just like to drag on it because its not PsOne. If Zelda, Mario, and fun is what your looking for, then this is the system for you.

This right here, is why wii u is in trouble. just add in donkey kong ^^

#15 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:40 PM

X, Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Lego City, ZombiU, Kart, Smash, Rayman (which I still count as a exclusive, it sold the best)+ many other great games. Nintendo trys out new games time to time, but people don't bite. They do need bigger devs though. Mario and Zelda always sell great, so thats why they do it.

Update on my impressions

+ excellent design, especially the Zelda pack looks great

+ impressed with the GamePad

- angry at the time it takes to set it up and download/install new update

question: In the store I found the wii remote (the thing that you connect to the nunchuck) for $45 and the same thing in a bundle with a game (mario etc) for $60. Are these games worth it? 

Wiimote for $45? That seems pricey, but I haven't checked latley. And what game? 

Stupid Snowmads!

#16 Monk21

Monk21

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

X, Bayonetta, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Lego City, ZombiU, Kart, Smash, Rayman (which I still count as a exclusive, it sold the best)+ many other great games. Nintendo trys out new games time to time, but people don't bite. They do need bigger devs though. Mario and Zelda always sell great, so thats why they do it.

Wiimote for $45? That seems pricey, but I haven't checked latley. And what game? 

take a look at those

http://www.ebgames.c...us-white/315592

http://www.ebgames.c...-party-u/317671

http://www.ebgames.c...e-bundle/318207

#17 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

Ah plus. Wii Party U looks like quick fun, but best bought pre-owned, not worth 60$ from the looks. If the sports are your forte, then go ahead. With the combo you can have a party. Haha. I don't believe plus is needed for those, so if you want to get the original wiimote that should be fine.

Stupid Snowmads!

#18 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:53 PM

Games people will buy a Wii U for is why the Wii U is in trouble?

GameZombie44.png

#19 Monk21

Monk21

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:11 PM

Probably he meant that according to some people only zelda and mario games are worth it and that is why it is in trouble. I don't know

#20 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

Apologies most venerated Moderator. I meant Nintendo games are become recycled over and over, while Sony and Microsoft are branching out with new titles, WITH 3rd party support, and sony is even working hard to have indy titles on the system.

When I hear people say,

"if you don't like mario or zelda, you won't like the wii u" it saddens me!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!