• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:34 PM

Not sure if this should be a Linux topic or PC projects one. As posted in some status updates I took an old Dell laptop been in a closet bast 3 years with a bad HDD I wanted to make it useful again but not as a windows machine.  I am doing my first teardown and admit I used an online guide for this. I thought be a simple idea. Replace the HDD and install Ubuntu. Now in 2006 I got Ubuntu CDs but never did anything. (no I no longer have them so not trying those) I made a iso of a current version. Going with a super cheap 120GB seagate as this machine will be just to browse online and nothing else.

I just find it funny how on my Asus or many Laptops you can easily swap out the HDD or in some cases some effort but doable. DELL lol oh man they require you to tear the whole thing down. It made the project more fun but also more to go wrong but again nothing to really lose here.

Then again this is the same Dell who went with BTX MB's in the mid 00's and was a nightmare to find stuff that supported it.

Just for fun some pics

http://imgur.com/sMk...9mAoA,zPJE3b0#0

I kow Porhorse had some PC project so maybe he can update. Mahmood seems to found a new interest in computers so maybe he is working on something. 3dude farts em out and bored of it all :P

#2 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:57 PM

I just find it funny how on my Asus or many Laptops you can easily swap out the HDD or in some cases some effort but doable. DELL lol oh man they require you to tear the whole thing down. It made the project more fun but also more to go wrong but again nothing to really lose here.

Technically that depends on the model. My Asus is a Book Flip and a full disassembally is required to replace the hard drive (and considering that's how I killed my dear Acer I won't be doing that again) while my sister's Dell has an easy-access panel that only requires removing two screws then the hard drive pops right out.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#3 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:20 PM

I've been trying to get myself to begin the transition over to Linux since 2012 when I got my current laptop because lol Launch Windows 8. I keep getting a good install going for about 6 months only to have something go horribly wrong due to a wrong terminal command(Most recent case was me using Ubuntu for 3 months, switching to GNOME 3.12 as my Desktop Environment, beginning of month 6 I wanted to try Unity again, only to end up erasing all desktop environments. Was NOT fun trying to get stuff working on my partition for that after the fact.)

I really should get back into using it, as I prefer my limited experience with Linux over Windows in every area but gaming. Doesn't also help that WINE isn't at the point where I can feasably run all of my games I play.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#4 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:20 PM

Technically that depends on the model. My Asus is a Book Flip and a full disassembally is required to replace the hard drive (and considering that's how I killed my dear Acer I won't be doing that again) while my sister's Dell has an easy-access panel that only requires removing two screws then the hard drive pops right out.

Book flip is not really a laptop but those dumb hyrbid things. Ultrabooks and Hyrbrid things don't want you messing with anything.

This is a regular Dell laptop and Dell often does really dumb crap. Sometimes they do the right things but often do dumb crap and Dell is esp bad with bloatware and bloatware that conflicts with windows updates. Dell makes crappy hardware. I don't know about lower end stuff with Asus but the higher end is great. Dell sucks from A to Z and back again.

#5 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:11 AM

Book flip is not really a laptop but those dumb hyrbid things. Ultrabooks and Hyrbrid things don't want you messing with anything.

My Flip has a Nvidia 840m. What does your "smart" laptop have?

I've been trying to get myself to begin the transition over to Linux since 2012 when I got my current laptop because lol Launch Windows 8. I keep getting a good install going for about 6 months only to have something go horribly wrong due to a wrong terminal command(Most recent case was me using Ubuntu for 3 months, switching to GNOME 3.12 as my Desktop Environment, beginning of month 6 I wanted to try Unity again, only to end up erasing all desktop environments. Was NOT fun trying to get stuff working on my partition for that after the fact.)

I really should get back into using it, as I prefer my limited experience with Linux over Windows in every area but gaming. Doesn't also help that WINE isn't at the point where I can feasably run all of my games I play.

windows-10-announcement.jpg

How about now? But if you're still committed to Linux try Linux Mint, and if you can afford it get a cheap gaming pc on your network and use Steam's Remote Play to access the full PC game library.

Edited by grahamf, 07 January 2015 - 11:14 AM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#6 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:35 PM

attachicon.gifwindows-10-announcement.jpg
How about now? But if you're still committed to Linux try Linux Mint, and if you can afford it get a cheap gaming pc on your network and use Steam's Remote Play to access the full PC game library.

Note the words Launch Windows 8 :P

I've tried Mint, Fedora, Ubuntu, and a few others and I do enjoy mint a lot. I do need to get that Remote play option up and working though, as otherwise it's going to suck because I need my Dark Souls/Various MMORPGs

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#7 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:43 PM

when I say dumb talking about how they are physically constructed. Meaning they are going for an Appleish feel in less is more and uni and for looks and slick looking. While a lot of regular laptops while not as popular is what I was meaning in that not going for a sleek look and trying to make something slimmer and stuff. Just a regular boring laptop

Only be taking this laptop online and that is it. Don't even like steam so never use it anymore on my regular machine. Thinking of it as a backup

Edited by Ryudo, 07 January 2015 - 01:46 PM.

#8 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:33 AM

thought some of you guys would find this intel product interesting, http://thewiiu.com/t...ux/#entry306573

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#9 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:06 AM

No Nvidia, No go.

#10 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:17 AM

No Nvidia, No go.

Are you a graphics card fanboy? Next we will hear from a CPU fanboy and a Monster cable fanboy :P

#11 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:05 PM

Are you a graphics card fanboy? Next we will hear from a CPU fanboy and a Monster cable fanboy :P

Mostly, if I connect any computer to my tv I will be using it for gaming.

#12 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:10 PM

I don't care as long as the drivers are sound and the chip is sound I don't care who makes it. Also Monster cables or expensive cables and thick cables are for fools. It's fooled many people. They actually break easier due to not being flexable. Generic ones often last longer from being more durable. Never pay more than 10 bucks for a cable. They are selling you foam and a brand.

Known this for years but I'm always amazed how so many people fall for it Picture and sound all the same but they sell you snake oil.

Edited by Ryudo, 08 January 2015 - 04:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!