#1 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

I know that back in the days Nintendo used to do a lot of advertisement for its consoles and games. Why did they stop? Looks like they will restart this trend with the Wii U and 3DS. But how come they stopped mass advertising with GC and Wii?

Take a look at those old adds:

Posted Image

#2 Expansion Pak

Expansion Pak

Enlightened Fanboy

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • NNID:Koopamann14
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon the Series: XY and PS4

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

It would be AWESOME if Nintendo did a commercial for the Wii U almost exactly like that but in these times if that happened the consequences would be Fanboy rage and another Gaming Lawsuit. But with some editing....

I shower you with coconut cream pies.

#3 RockD79

RockD79

Goomba

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

POPULAR

Yea marketing has been a tad light in recent years. I liked with what they did with the Ocarina of Time 3D trailer. Remaking the same exact trailer from '98 using the the 3DS game footage was awesome. Hope this doesn't sound too corny but it would be cool if they aired a 30 second tv ad in the next month or so along the lines of this suggestion. I think for the teaser it would be neat if they had a pitch black room, complete darkness. Then in sequence have the familiar blue light of the Wii light up first and glow. Just the light, nothing else, keeping the system hidden in darkness. Next, after 5 seconds or so, have the gamepad screen light up besides or underneath the blue light. As before, leaving the gamepad itself hidden in the dark. Then last, have the tv turn on to the exact image shown on the controller. Then after a few seconds have the tv change channels quickly leaving the gamepad still at the same image or game as before. That way showing the separate image capabilities. Finally, the tv channel changing comes to an end and stops on the Wii U logo with a "coming soon" appearing afterwards. Just pulled that out of my ass. Heck, they could probably pull off a 15 second ad with that. Lol!

#4 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

There was quite a bit of Wii commercials a bit after launch, when it was huge.

The 3DS had a couple, but they aired a couple days before launch.

#5 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

They didn't need to. Word of mouth had already gotten them 100 DSs sold and 75 million Wiis. Big advertising would have been a waste of money. however, I'm sure they'll go all out with the commercials this Christmas, plus the recently mentioned big store presence.

#6 Meelow100

Meelow100

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

After people get their hands on the consoles/handhelds they don't need to really anymore, I saw lots of Wii commericals back in 2006/2007 and once people have them the consumers are the ones advertising it because those people tell other people and so on.

#7 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

I love seeing advertisements for stuff that I love, however as just about everyone else has said it is not a good idea because word of mouth just works better.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#8 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

But the world is different now more people use the internet and watch TV. So I think there will be way more commercials than the PS Vita. I only have seen like 5.

#9 uh20

uh20

Thwomp

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Fandom:
    i HATE m$windows

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

the cruel world we live in, i got some friends lemonaid when they wanted coke
did'nt pick up the lemonaid
THOSE AD INFUSED POOTHEADS

in other news idcare about much of nintendo ads as long as they are within the bounds of correct advertizing
i swear i hate commercials about cutscenes and sweepstakes, when the product is CRUDDDDD
CAPS LOCK

Edited by uh20, 26 July 2012 - 09:17 PM.

:laugh:

#10 Expansion Pak

Expansion Pak

Enlightened Fanboy

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • NNID:Koopamann14
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon the Series: XY and PS4

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

I think for the teaser it would be neat if they had a pitch black room, complete darkness. Then in sequence have the familiar blue light of the Wii light up first and glow. Just the light, nothing else, keeping the system hidden in darkness. Next, after 5 seconds or so, have the gamepad screen light up besides or underneath the blue light. As before, leaving the gamepad itself hidden in the dark. Then last, have the tv turn on to the exact image shown on the controller. Then after a few seconds have the tv change channels quickly leaving the gamepad still at the same image or game as before. That way showing the separate image capabilities. Finally, the tv channel changing comes to an end and stops on the Wii U logo with a "coming soon" appearing afterwards. Just pulled that out of my ass. Heck, they could probably pull off a 15 second ad with that. Lol!

I really like this idea! They could do this for a few then once the Wii U becomes a big hit they can do it occasionaly. But again this idea is awesome!

I shower you with coconut cream pies.

#11 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:08 AM

Advertising for games is pretty crap here in the UK too. :/

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#12 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:20 AM

Yea marketing has been a tad light in recent years. I liked with what they did with the Ocarina of Time 3D trailer. Remaking the same exact trailer from '98 using the the 3DS game footage was awesome. Hope this doesn't sound too corny but it would be cool if they aired a 30 second tv ad in the next month or so along the lines of this suggestion. I think for the teaser it would be neat if they had a pitch black room, complete darkness. Then in sequence have the familiar blue light of the Wii light up first and glow. Just the light, nothing else, keeping the system hidden in darkness. Next, after 5 seconds or so, have the gamepad screen light up besides or underneath the blue light. As before, leaving the gamepad itself hidden in the dark. Then last, have the tv turn on to the exact image shown on the controller. Then after a few seconds have the tv change channels quickly leaving the gamepad still at the same image or game as before. That way showing the separate image capabilities. Finally, the tv channel changing comes to an end and stops on the Wii U logo with a "coming soon" appearing afterwards. Just pulled that out of my ass. Heck, they could probably pull off a 15 second ad with that. Lol!

You should go see Nintendo with this! Not only does it advertise the Wii U, but it does in an (commercially) agressive way, showing that the Wii U plays with power, real power, unlike the image the Wii was given. It shows that it's the next "must have" console.
Posted Image

#13 WisdomPowerCourage

WisdomPowerCourage

ZEWOP BOOPITY BOP!

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • Fandom:
    Cats Pajamas.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:37 AM

The first one is probably the best ad that I've seen in a long time.

#14 Hamez

Hamez

Blooper

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • NNID:PrinceLuna
  • Fandom:
    007, Team Fortress 2, Zelda, Ponies

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

There's not much of a reason to advertise. It just a matter of if it will be worth it or not. Gamers like us like to see the commercials, but it tend to advertise things we already have knowledge about. And many non-gamers will see it, but not care, so I think it basically only appeals to a small group of non-informed gamers and non-gamers that will be interested.

It just isn't likely that it would turn a bigger profit.
Posted Image

#15 AndyG

AndyG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

If they do make some ads they will need to consider how they want to do it, will they show it off as being a powerful o mighty console, or will they continue to market it as family friendly.

I think it would be in the best interests of Nintendo to make more ads that show off the WiiU's power and awesomeness and less ads that show it off as a family friendly console.

Theirs nothing wrong with Ninty marketing the WiiU as family friendly but i feel that if they do want to see a return of more hardcore gamers than this would really help.

I really should pay more attention in English, i hope you guys understand what im trying to say :)
Posted Image

This is where it ends

#16 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:15 AM

They didn't need to. Word of mouth had already gotten them 100 DSs sold and 75 million Wiis. Big advertising would have been a waste of money. however, I'm sure they'll go all out with the commercials this Christmas, plus the recently mentioned big store presence.

150 million DS systems
90+ million Wiis

:P

#17 jono

jono

Boo

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

150 million DS systems
90+ million Wiis

:P

I knew that, but I was talking about when they actually would have advertised. their systems during its lifespan.

If they do make some ads they will need to consider how they want to do it, will they show it off as being a powerful o mighty console, or will they continue to market it as family friendly.

I think it would be in the best interests of Nintendo to make more ads that show off the WiiU's power and awesomeness and less ads that show it off as a family friendly console.

Theirs nothing wrong with Ninty marketing the WiiU as family friendly but i feel that if they do want to see a return of more hardcore gamers than this would really help.

IMO, they need to use the catchphrase "finally, a system that truly is for everyone." or something along those lines that's a bit shorter.

#18 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

There's not much of a reason to advertise. It just a matter of if it will be worth it or not. Gamers like us like to see the commercials, but it tend to advertise things we already have knowledge about. And many non-gamers will see it, but not care, so I think it basically only appeals to a small group of non-informed gamers and non-gamers that will be interested.

It just isn't likely that it would turn a bigger profit.

There you basically mean casual gamers right?
Posted Image

#19 RockD79

RockD79

Goomba

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

You should go see Nintendo with this! Not only does it advertise the Wii U, but it does in an (commercially) agressive way, showing that the Wii U plays with power, real power, unlike the image the Wii was given. It shows that it's the next "must have" console.

Well I guess I could try to pitch that idea to them. It couldn't hurt. Maybe I will. Along with the other suggestion of making a few similar teasers along the path to launch.

#20 gregoryorizal

gregoryorizal

Spiny

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Those commercials kicked ass ! :D I would love to see Nintendo pretty much copy that Super Mario World commercial to advertise NSMBU. Just replace the SNES at the end with the Wii U. That would be the ultimate commercial IMO
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!