11 replies to this topic

#1 backudog

backudog

Spiny

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • NNID:backudog

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do we know what resolution the screen is on the pad yet? or just how good the pad screen is in general? i was just curious coz if you can play some titles just on the pad, why would you if the screen didnt show the game off properly? is it a hd screen? coz i've seen some shonky lcd screens in my time and would hate it to have one like that. i doubt it would..im just sayin'.
I hear voices in my head all the time, telling me what to do. But I just ignore them and carry on killing.

#2 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

It appears to be 854 x 480, which by all account is SD but perfectly acceptable for this size.

Its more-or-less Wii resolution except in native widescreen whereas the Wii being limited by SD connectivity could only use anamorphic widescreen (640x480 stretched by the TV to widescreen).
This is interesting as it makes it perfect for playing Wii games solely on the gamepad (as it also has the sensor bar built-in to the pad) with better picture quality than it would be upscaling onto a HDTV.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#3 backudog

backudog

Spiny

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • NNID:backudog

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

so games should look fine on it then? thats good. cheers!
I hear voices in my head all the time, telling me what to do. But I just ignore them and carry on killing.

#4 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

Not as detailed as on the TV but far more detailed than the 3DS, over 4x as many pixels in fact.

So yeah, I think it will look fine.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#5 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

Yeah, for the size of the screen it will still look great, even with not being in HD
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#6 Usman Mohammad

Usman Mohammad

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

Yeah, for the size of the screen it will still look great, even with not being in HD

Resolution doesn't really matter than much, content created for the screen will look amazing as the content is being designed for every pixel on the controller, the slight problem will exist when playing a game completely off the TV as it would either have to render the game in 480p or squash the game into that resoultion (like watching a 720p video in 480p)

#7 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

Resolution doesn't really matter than much, content created for the screen will look amazing as the content is being designed for every pixel on the controller, the slight problem will exist when playing a game completely off the TV as it would either have to render the game in 480p or squash the game into that resoultion (like watching a 720p video in 480p)

I was wondering about that...I'd hope it would look good. Nintendo isn't usually one to do things halfway
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#8 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

I was wondering about that...I'd hope it would look good. Nintendo isn't usually one to do things halfway

Agreed. Though it is a worry, I'm sure it'll be fine. We saw a small demo of this at the conference...

#9 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

It'll be fine, it's still displaying in widescreen it just doesn't have as many pixels as HD would. The only difference is that it's gonna be not as sharp and clear as HD but is that really a problem? It's only to be used in emergencies anyway. So I don't mind having lower resolution for a couple hours while someone else uses the TV to watch a movie.
zZJ9pHB.png
Special thanks to Horchata. I appreciate it so much.

#10 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:43 AM

If you have one of those 7" digital photo frames have a look at that. Thats the sort of screen the wii u uses. The wii u screen may have slightly reduced contrast due to the resistance touch screen layer on the front but it should be very similar.

I actually have a projector with the same resolution near enough 858x480. Its a Panasonic AE100 and displays an image on practically a whole wall. I use it for SD stuff, wii, original xbox and a few other things to save the bulb on my HD projector which is connected to PS3 and 360 etc. The AE100 image is actually pretty good. I'll have no problem accepting that resolution on the gamepad.

#11 rschauby

rschauby

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

A quick Google search reveals current calculations of 158 ppi (pixels per inch). While not "retina" level, this is pretty good as long as you don't hold it 3 inches away from your face.

Edited by rschauby, 16 September 2012 - 09:47 AM.

#12 Noonabites

Noonabites

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

It'll be fine, it's still displaying in widescreen it just doesn't have as many pixels as HD would. The only difference is that it's gonna be not as sharp and clear as HD but is that really a problem? It's only to be used in emergencies anyway. So I don't mind having lower resolution for a couple hours while someone else uses the TV to watch a movie.

This would effect everything it displays on the screen though, so it's something you have to deal with as long as you're playing with the gamepad. Again, the resolution isn't bad enough where this would be a problem anyway..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!