5 replies to this topic

#1 Rob27

Rob27

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

Hi just joined.

I'm thinking about a Wii U but need a bit of clarification on the sound.

I don't have an HDMI receiver, since the Wii U doesn't have a toslink digital audio out port. Can I have HDMI picture and use the AV sound to my receiver/ 5.1 system although it won't be true surround?

Just don't want to use the tv speakers.

If so does anyone know if the Wii U will let you. I have had a look at the help on the websites but the combination of these two did not pop up. Just seemed to be one or the other ie HDMI with sound or component/composite with stereo/mono sound ability.

Many thanks.

Rob.

#2 Eggplante!

Eggplante!

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

The Wii U will only support one output of audio/video signal at one time. However, any HDMI port that is built to spec (anything on a TV by a name brand manufacturer) will be able to receive incoming audio. TOSLINK is available in addition to HDMI for devices that support it (some Blu Ray players and other home theatre equipment) but it is not necessary. HDMI is designed to carry both HD video signals as well as full surround audio signals.

Eggplante!com
video games, music, movies, concerts, photography
…and more!

#3 Falconberg

Falconberg

Spiny

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

I have a similar dilemma. I don't have hdmi on my tv but I do have dvi. I can get a converter for cheap or free but I will need to use separate sound as those converters don't carry audio. So can I do it. How do you run the system audio through a home theatre system if you can't ruin both hdmi visuals and red and white audio?
-falconberg (Nintendo Network ID)

#4 Eggplante!

Eggplante!

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:29 AM

Perhaps the only way is to use component video from the other connector. It will still produce 1080p visuals, but you may notice some slight signal disparity between that and connecting via HDMI. For what you get from Wii U and given that launch titles don't look any more stellar than an Xbox 360 or PS3 game, you shouldn't be missing out with Component.

Eggplante!com
video games, music, movies, concerts, photography
…and more!

#5 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

Wii U is a funny console when it comes to sound isn't it lol

#6 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

I would say component is the best solution and a good compromise if you can't use HDMI. I suspect the Wii U cannot output from the HDMI and multi AV out at the same time so its one or the other. Component will give you the HD visuals as well as sound at the same time. With a component cable you could connect the red, green and blue video cables to the TV and the red and yellow audio cables to the amp. If that is not practical due to the connections on the TV being to far from those on the amp you can use appropriate RCA extension cables. That's what I use to do with my GameCube and Wii before.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!