Photo

Are prices the same for digital Wii U games bought from the eShop?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 EvanVanVan

EvanVanVan

Goomba

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

I was wondering how the prices compare, for Super Mario Bros U for instance? Any discounts? I see there's the digital deluxe promotion...
Thanks

#2 linners84

linners84

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

I think it's the same pricing, but the incentive I believe would be that you essentially get $5 eShop credit back for a $59.99 game. Correct me if I'm wrong.

NNID - linners84     

3DS Friend Code - 5129 0547 8683

#3 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

In Australia the eshop is notably more expensive then stores.

#4 Tricky Sonic

Tricky Sonic

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  • NNID:Tricky
  • Fandom:
    Sega, Sonic, Warcraft, Final Fantasy

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

In Australia the eshop is notably more expensive then stores.

I can't even wrap my head around that.....that further indicates that the President of Nintendo Australia is a Drop Bear.

I think it depends on the developer/publisher and what they want. I thought I read that Tekken was like $5 cheaper or something.
Posted Image
Check out my video game collection blog at http://genesaturn.blogspot.com/
Feel free to add me as a friend on your 3DS and Wii U as well - Friend Code = 1289-9502-7134 / Nintendo ID - Tricky

#5 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

I can't even wrap my head around that.....that further indicates that the President of Nintendo Australia is a Drop Bear.

I think it depends on the developer/publisher and what they want. I thought I read that Tekken was like $5 cheaper or something.

You may find some rare casses, but currently even on psn and xbl prices are higher then they should be. Thankfully I mainly play pc where the difference thanks to many online stores is not inflated.

#6 HotInEER

HotInEER

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Walking Dead

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

It's the same price which I believe is dumb. I will only buy indie games form the eshop, like Trine 2. You download the game to your Wii U and there is no incentive, only reasons not to. You can't take the game to your friends house to play it or let them borrow it, or you borrow it from them. It's the same price, the purchases are all linked to your Nintendo ID also. I also remembering a post on here when the Wii U first came out where someone bought 3 or 4 games and their Wii was defective and there was no way to get them back for his new Wii U because it was locked to his original Wii U and Nintendo would not let him have them again.

#7 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

^ I'm fairly certain if he got in contact with Nintendo it would be worked out. But I agree atm brick and mortor is the way to go, despite that I prefer the ease of digital, but the whole account locked to one console atm is a killer for digital downloads, especially as I may want two wiiU's in the future (one for the living room and one for my gaming room).

#8 Andy

Andy

The Ganon Slayer

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  • NNID:Andyjoe522
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

In defense of digital download, it is rather useful for those times that you just flat-out can't find a physical copy. For example, I wanted to pick up Darksiders II with my Wii U at launch, but GameStop didn't have a copy (not even listed in their computer). I checked around at every other retailer near here, and none of them had a copy either. If it wasn't for the option to download the game, I would not be playing what is now my favorite Wii U game. While I still prefer physical copies by a long shot, I'm thankful I have the option to download a game when need-be.
Posted Image

#9 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

In defense of that decision, our internet is still pretty darn crap compared to other countries like America. We don't take digital downloading with as much as ease. It's like with the Wii, in that they didn't opt for HDMI because not everyone had access to it at the time.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#10 PedanticGamer

PedanticGamer

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

In defense of that decision, our internet is still pretty darn crap compared to other countries like America. We don't take digital downloading with as much as ease. It's like with the Wii, in that they didn't opt for HDMI because not everyone had access to it at the time.

Explain why it is different for the most part on pc then. It is a direct result of appeasing the brick and mortor stores, thus they sell at rrp online and the brick and mortor then go below rrp to undercut them and maintain relevant. This is an issue atm but in a decade this issue will no longer exist as appeasing brick and mortor stores will become continuously less worthwhile.

#11 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:54 AM

1. Boxed Games: If you look after them they last forever. If you get bored of them you can sell them and get some money back.

2. Digital Games: They don't last forever as data can be easily be deleted, you don't really even own it, if it's digital you only have a license to play it. You can't sell or get a refund for digital games if you buy them and don't like them or get bored of them which more or less leaves YOU the consumer out of pocket.

Add the crippleing download speeds in some parts of the World to the equation and it's obvious who the winner is and which one I prefer, hint (it's the 1st one) :D Digital gaming has a very long way to go, as do broadband speeds, but even when they reach thier pinicle you will never beat that new game smell, hell I already miss game manuels!

Edited by UnchainedGoku, 11 December 2012 - 01:55 AM.

#12 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:19 AM

^^ What he said, If i can buy a physical copy of the game i always do.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#13 Buoysel

Buoysel

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo in General

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

I usually just save digital downloads for games I know I wouldn't want to get rid of. But for Georgia, it's actually cheaper to digitally buy video games. I don't have to pay sales tax, and since I'll get some of the money back in the form of points for even more games, I'm actually saving money.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!