Photo

Software: How does a second hand Wii U work?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Amylittlehands

Amylittlehands

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Fandom:
    Harvest Moon

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

This got me thinking. Apparently you get one NNID per console, yes? Well I know you can unlink the NNID should you want to change consoles due to breaking or something but how about when someone buys a used Wii U? What's the process of that? I don't have a Wii U yet so can't look into the settings etc ...

Would the new user have to keep the NNID name the previous owner had? Can it be changed? What if the new owner doesn't want traces of the old account (ie, downloads, bookmarks etc).

Can someone clarify this process for me?
Posted ImageERHMEHGERHD A Tiny cat. All the better to keep in my tiny pocket.

#2 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

-This got me thinking. Apparently you get one NNID per console, yes?
-Well I know you can unlink the NNID should you want to change consoles due to breaking or something but how about when someone buys a used Wii U?
-What's the process of that?

-Would the new user have to keep the NNID name the previous owner had?
-Can it be changed?
-What if the new owner doesn't want traces of the old account (ie, downloads, bookmarks etc).

Can someone clarify this process for me?

- Yes, NNID's are locked to a console & said local user profile. Meaning one per user on the console.
- No you can not unlink the NNID from the console. It only will unlink from the profile and/or Mii on said console. Once you unlink you are forced to assign it to a new profile and/or Mii to continue using said content on said console. There is no means of linking it to another profile on another console or moving said profile to another console.
- Call or e-mail Nintendo, send in console, possible pay money, and you all your data is put onto a new console. As there is not even a user transfer, similar to the handhelds.

- No, the new user would not have to keep the NNID. Each NNID can be deactivated or in other words closed. Once this happens all said content you bought is gone forever. If said user obtains your non-formatted and/or none closed NNID account they can keep it and still make their own. The Wii U can hold up to twelve NNID accounts if I remember correctly. Though each one has to be tied to a different local account & Mii.
- No, Nintendo does not offer a overall name change of NNID. You can change a Mii for display style purposes, but nothing more.
- If the new owner does not want your stuff, they can format the console and/or close your NNID account.

Edited by UnholyVision, 31 December 2012 - 07:03 PM.

#3 Amylittlehands

Amylittlehands

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Fandom:
    Harvest Moon

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

- Yes, NNID's are locked to a console when created.
- No you can not unlink the NNID from the console. It only will unlink from the profile and/or Mii on said console. Once you unlink you are forced to assign it to a new profile and/or Mii to continue using said content on said console. There is no means of linking it to another profile on another console or moving said profile to another console.
- Call or e-mail Nintendo, send in console, possible pay money, and you all your data is put onto a new console. As there is not even a user transfer, similar to the handhelds.

- No, the new user would not have to keep the NNID. Each NNID can be deactivated or in other words closed. Once this happens all said content you bought is gone forever. If said user obtains your non-formatted and/or none closed NNID account they can keep it and still make their own. The Wii U can hold up to twelve NNID accounts if I remember correctly. Though each one has to be tied to a different local account & Mii.
- No, Nintendo does not offer a overall name change of NNID. You can change a Mii for display style purposes, but nothing more.
- If the new owner does not want your stuff, they can format the console and/or close your NNID account.

Okay thanks for clarifying : ) I tried googling, maybe I used the wrong terms. I'll be getting a WiiU new, I was just curious about the Nintendo Network
Posted ImageERHMEHGERHD A Tiny cat. All the better to keep in my tiny pocket.

#4 UnholyVision

UnholyVision

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

http://www.nintendo....our_account.jsp
A good place to start for all the account related details would be here. (Edit: Some other related information as well. Maybe not as understandable though, in terms of wording). Nintendo is not grand when it comes to this & in my opinion should just stay away from digital purchases from them. One console mess up and Nintendo can not transfer the stuff say to a dead internal drive and bye bye money. As Nintendo can not retrieve lost NNID's or said deactivate ones. (Not trying to burst your bubble per se. Only a word of advise on this related area of accounts).

Edited by UnholyVision, 31 December 2012 - 07:13 PM.

#5 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

The limit isn't 1 NNID per console, it's 1 console for each NNID.
You can have up to 12 on one console, and each user will also have the other users purchases.

When the console is formatted, the account data is removed, so you won't get the previous users purchases or NNID.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!