• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 SoldMyWiiU

SoldMyWiiU

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

It just seems wayyy to powerfull. I know nintendo has never been about graphics but the specs are pretty much blowing the Wiiu's out of the water

Even if the specs are true, I don't think the system will sell that well becasuse it's going to be minimum $700 for somthing like that.

#2 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

POPULAR

Lol

They are nowhere near "way too powerful." Sony isn't lying. And the ps4 won't be $700. It uses jaguars, not i7. And not Nvidia keplers either.

And the public doesn't even know exactly what the specs are (nor does the public know the Wii Us exact specs.).

So they definitely dont "blow wii u out of the water."

The 360 did that to the wii, which was basically a GameCube with motion controls. This is nothing like that.

The ps4 is more powerful. It has more CPU cores, more ram, and a gpu that started as a better foundation that the wii u's gpu. But the wii u has much more customization going on.

The ps4 will be able to do some things better than the wii u in terms of processing.

But it won't be a big difference.

In fact, it appears both MS and Sony are following nintendos design philosophy for their hardware.

It's like the Nintendo 64 versus the Nintendo 64 + ram expansion Pak.
A little more than that. But not much. And not all games will see a difference.

This gen, all three systems will be competitive with one another.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 01 March 2013 - 12:02 AM.

#3 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

The specs aren't even "beasty" as most people think. As Socalmuscle above said, it uses an Intel Jaguar CPU, which is a low-end CPU used by budget PC's. It actually made me laugh a little when I found out about it to be honest because I couldn't believe it myself.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#4 ifrit05

ifrit05

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:21 AM

As Socalmuscle above said, it uses an Intel Jaguar CPU, which is a low-end CPU used by budget PC's.

The Jaguar is an AMD APU... http://en.wikipedia....ing_Unit#Jaguar

ifrit05s.png

Nintendo Network ID: ifrit05

Wii U Deluxe

#5 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:21 AM

It uses technology from 1980 basically, so it should be cheap and nothing about it is unbelievable.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#6 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:16 AM

It uses technology from 1980 basically, so it should be cheap and nothing about it is unbelievable.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#7 Joshua

Joshua

The Dovahkiin

• Members
  • 2,334 posts
  • NNID:JoshuaCM
  • Fandom:
    Anything Nintendo, Skyrim and more!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:22 AM

Ohh, whoops. Haha! Thanks for the correction.

Posted Image

Signature by Cerberuz

#8 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:25 AM

Ummm, I don't think they would've about them, and the only thing that really was impressive was the large amount of blazing fast RAM. They said their GPU would reach 2 TF but that's just a theoretical peak and I wouldn't expect it to come near that in real world performance.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#9 Eskimo_sam

Eskimo_sam

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:26 AM

i think there pretty good specs certainly going to b a improvment over last gen

#10 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:36 AM

the 8 core cpu is a tablet cpu... and the 8 gigs of ram, is not only for the games.... the gpu is again in theoretical peak... not in real performance.

http://www.pcworld.c...or_tablets.html

the jaguar cpu for desktops is not even out yet for pc... NOWAY sony to add this cpu inside the console... ITS NOT even out yet!

Edited by Orion, 01 March 2013 - 03:38 AM.

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:13 AM

Its really not that powerful.

The i5 i got for my wife for like, $250 smokes the daylights out of it.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

APU is a marketing term for CPU and GPU on one die.  They aren't using that, they have a CPU GPU on the same MCM, not on the same die.  Jaguar does actually refer to the CPU core, Kabini and Temash refer to the APUs that will include Jaguar cores.  So no, Jaguar is an AMD CPU core.

#13 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

If they wanted to Sony could change the specs at any moment, but if they are already in the manufacturing prossess it's very unlikely, but who knows. I'm thinking of getting one regardless.

#14 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

Its really not that powerful.

The i5 i got for my wife for like, $250 smokes the daylights out of it.

It's not a very powerful CPU at all, which is a given since it was meant to compete with Atom and prioritizes power gating over performance.

#15 ifrit05

ifrit05

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:44 PM

APU is a marketing term for CPU and GPU on one die.

Yes I know this, but for simplicity sake I just called it an APU. :P

ifrit05s.png

Nintendo Network ID: ifrit05

Wii U Deluxe

#16 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

Could someone compare the tri core PowerPC in the Wii U and the 8 core AMD Jaguar in the PS4?

Posted Image

#17 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

Thank you.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#18 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Some good info here;

http://gamrconnect.v...d.php?id=136756

Basically ps4 is about 5-6x more powerful than wii u overall. Which is a similar figure the ps4 has over 360 and PS3 overall. PS4 gpu is very impressive especially paired with the ultra fast memory. Cpu wise its a good upgrade on current gen but as already stated many intel PC cpus's have gone easily beyond it. Unlike the wii u though there does seem geniune cpu assistance in the gpu.

Its a serious upgrade over wii u but the big issue is Sony are in deep debt and seem to be desperately trying to make sure the ps4 succeeds by having a very competitive specification however Nintendo can easily drop the price of their console and by then it will have a far larger library of software. 

#19 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

Nobody can compare a thing about the PS4 CPU yet as no CPU using this specific architecture has been released yet.  However dismissing it as weak just because its a low-power CPU is silly.  The only console to ever be considered to have a strong CPU compared to the PC has been the PS3, and it wasn't all that helpful.

Lets not forget, the original Xbox used a Celeron which was the low-power version of the Pentium 3, but it punched well above its weight because developers were both more familiar with the architecture and also able to push it harder than on a PC due to knowing every Xbox is identical.  The PS4 has this same advantage, its similar to PC so familiar to developers but also a static configuration so can be pushed to its limit knowing every console will perform the same.

Also AMD have publicly said that its a much more powerful version of their chip than any of the PC versions will be, and it has some Sony specific customisations.  http://www.theinquir...aystation-4-apu  So it cannot be compared directly to a PC using a similar chip.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 01 March 2013 - 01:13 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#20 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

The PS4 cpu is an enhancement of an existing chip which massively underperforms compared to some intel designs. No one is expecting that gulf to be bridged with ps4 just narrowed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!