#1 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:40 AM

I see a lot of orchestra fans. but no MIDI fans. A lot of pieces of music I like are MIDI, which have helped my liking grow towards MIDI rather than Orchestra. So is there anyone else out there besides me? (MIDI music is all done electronically)

(I would post more, but I am limited.)

Edited by Dragon, 08 March 2013 - 01:46 AM.

Posted Image

#2 ThatGuy

ThatGuy

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Mother (Earthbound)

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:25 AM

I think it depends on your personal preference. I prefer orchestral, because it's what MIDI is trying to synthesize, and MIDI just sounds off to me because of it. Although I think there are probably some cases where real instruments wouldn't be as immersive as synthetics.

Steam Profile: http://steamcommunit.../id/ThatGuy3333
3DS Friend Code: 0946-2437-3230
Wii U NNID: ThatGuy_33

e28pEYY.jpg

#3 DANT3

DANT3

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:28 AM

I like both styles pretty much equally, honestly. There are cases where I like MIDI tracks more, and then there are cases where I like orchestral pieces more... It really is just personal preference when you get down to it.

#4 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:36 AM

I think it depends on your personal preference. I prefer orchestral, because it's what MIDI is trying to synthesize, and MIDI just sounds off to me because of it. Although I think there are probably some cases where real instruments wouldn't be as immersive as synthetics.

I have 0 problems with Orchestrated music if it's done correctly. Parts of Skyward Sword seemed dull because I've heard so much of Orchestrated music. When it comes to MIDI, the sound of the music all depends on the type of software you use and the pre-recorded instruments. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask have very signature sounds to their music due to the time period and type of MIDI components that were used. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess got close to mimicking Orchestrated music, but it was noticeable that it was MIDI. But I really like those 2 soundtracks. IMO that's the best Zelda music has been.

Now don't get me wrong. Skyward Sword had some good music in it like the main theme ().

But you're right, it is opinion. I am just a little tired of people saying they want a re-orchestrated soundtrack on Wind Waker. Being a huge fan of that game, it makes me angry at the thought of changing what makes that game a great experience. And here I go off topic...lol

I like both styles pretty much equally, honestly. There are cases where I like MIDI tracks more, and then there are cases where I like orchestral pieces more... It really is just personal preference when you get down to it.

Basically, yeah. 

Posted Image

#5 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:40 AM

i like them both, but only if its done right, and im like tone deaf or something, so really, i cant tell the difference when im playing the game xD

wa3Nq7j.png

#6 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:49 AM

i like them both, but only if its done right, and im like tone deaf or something, so really, i cant tell the difference when im playing the game xD

lol I'm the exact opposite. I pay very close attention to the music I'm listening to.

Posted Image

#7 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

I really don't care. Don't notice the difference, so it doesn't matter to me.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#8 Ghost

Ghost

BASEDGOD

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:50 AM

Isn't Pokemon music Red to Black/White MIDI music? If so, I like MIDI alot as the Pokemon music series is one of my fave collections.

#9 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

lol I'm the exact opposite. I pay very close attention to the music I'm listening to.

well, i can tell what it is when im not listening to it in game, but when im playing a game and its not shoved right infront of you, i wont notice it (like the intro to hyrule field for the first time and it pans across and all you hear is music)

wa3Nq7j.png

#10 NegaScott128

NegaScott128

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

I fracking LOVE MIDI. So much.

#11 stardust

stardust

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

you can make MIDI sound orchestral.  All you really need is to find a program that can take the MIDI file information and convert it to an orchestral patch.  Most music programs can do this now.  In the old days, MIDI worked its way to sound through FM synthesis (much like the Sega Genesis sound).  Sound Blaster and Adlib were the dominate cards in the market at that time. 

All what midi is is a musical instrument digital interface, hence, MIDI.  You can find this interface on the back of many keyboards.

I think what you mean here is fan-created/recreated music, since the term MIDI is too broad.

#12 ifrit05

ifrit05

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

I usually make midi files and then plug them into mixcraft for the higher quality sounds.

ifrit05s.png

Nintendo Network ID: ifrit05

Wii U Deluxe

#13 stardust

stardust

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

I usually make midi files and then plug them into mixcraft for the higher quality sounds.

that's really all it takes (or instead of a module, you can hook it up to a keyboard).  Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of people here are technically or musically incline to know these facts about MIDI.

#14 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:27 AM

Any good places online to learn music? I'm a noob at this stuff. lol

Posted Image

#15 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • NNID:ChaoticPikachu
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:34 AM

I just like music. Doesn't matter what style.

#16 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:40 AM

I just like music. Doesn't matter what style.

Same here, dude. But this thread was made to find other MIDI fans. I find a lot of people dislike it.

I get tired of hearing crap like this (scroll to the bottom of the review): http://www.ign.com/a...incess-review-2

MIDI can be just as good as Orchestrated.

Posted Image

#17 stardust

stardust

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

Same here, dude. But this thread was made to find other MIDI fans. I find a lot of people dislike it.

I get tired of hearing crap like this (scroll to the bottom of the review): http://www.ign.com/a...incess-review-2

Clearly those people have no idea what MIDI really is and how it is used.

When I wasn't heavily involved in MIDI years ago in the 90s, I thought it had a generic sound (the old FM synthesis quality).  That was until I got educated about it over the past five or so years. Little do people know you can map it to have all kinds of realistic effects.  The problem is people don't really know it and they think MIDI is just a sequenced song file with generic sounds.  How wrong they are.

#18 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • NNID:ChaoticPikachu
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean. I love MIDI music because of it's limitation. It's simplicity is what makes it so good.

#19 Fantazz Myth

Fantazz Myth

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

I love midi, I'm compose in midi format, I love the tee sound and the fun feel of it. I've got a music page full of midi tunes, I'll love midi till I'm deaf but then still love it after death.

https://soundcloud.com/fantazz-myth

#20 Jacob

Jacob

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

I love midi, I'm compose in midi format, I love the tee sound and the fun feel of it. I've got a music page full of midi tunes, I'll love midi till I'm deaf but then still love it after death.

https://soundcloud.com/fantazz-myth

Oh hai :) You are new!

JxkHfIT.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!