#1 XxNightfallxX

XxNightfallxX

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:
    Blind Guardian, Elder Scrolls

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

Hi, I am new here and I just bought the wii u today.  I have some questions as I am still not very familiar with this console.

For starters I do not have access to wireless internet so at the moment I cannot update my console.  If i do get a router sooner or later, will I have to download the previous day one update or does it automatically download the latest update?  Also, are updates required to play most wii u games?

And I have been playing monster hunters 3 ultimate for about an hour and I have tried using the pro controller for it but for the life of me it doesn't seem to work, is there a way to get it to work?

anyway, thank you kindly for quick responses.

oh and i forgot to add another question so my apologies but will any upcoming wii u games come with firmware updates?  Some newer 3ds games i bought over the past months seem to have updated my 3ds 

#2 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:27 PM

Try charging the pro controller? Did you sync it? You press the red button on the back of the controller with a stylus if the button is too small and the button on the console at the same time.

If it doesn't work try contacting Nintendo or get a refund and buy a different one to see if it works or try a friend's controller.

You only have to download the update once.

I gave you a free like yay :P welcoming present :P

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#3 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

When you get internet access to the Wii U you need to manually start the first update, I don't know if it will make you do the updates sequentially or simultaneously download everything.  Either way, just keep pressing the update button until it says you are up to date.

None of the games come with firmware updates that I know of.  That may happen if there is a change to the firmware at some point that is required for particular games to work.

If you don't yet have wifi in the house, you can get the ethernet adapter for a modest price and it has better speeds than using wifi.  Also, you might want to get a hard drive to use with the Wii U.  You can find them very cheap, I saw an ad the other day for 1.5TB hard drives for $69, it was a Western Digital model, which has been tested and certified by Nintendo for use with the Wii U.

I don't know why your Pro Controller is not working with MH3U, as others have stated that they use it.  What is it doing?  Not syncing? Disconnecting? just not allowing you to control anything when you do connect it?

If its the last one, make sure you change the controller selection in the game menu or controller settings on the home menu (when you press the home button).

Other than that, welcome and enjoy your stay!

Oh, and I forgot to mention that whatever hard drive you get, make sure it does not run strictly on USB power.  It needs its own power supply.

Edited by routerbad, 01 May 2013 - 03:35 PM.

#4 XxNightfallxX

XxNightfallxX

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

the pro controller did sync with the console, but i can't control anything with it when I play MH3U, its weird too because on the controller setting it says it is connected and all, but I guess I'll have to check the controller selection in the game menu.

well as for the updates I do hope that using the ethernet adapter will take less time to download all of the updates.  I heard some unpleasant things about the day one update.  But as of this moment it seems that at least the games i bought can still be played without the updates.  I just hope the ethernet adapter has a long enough cord, one long enough to connect to my ethernet cable since my cable is all the way on the other side of my room.

well, thank you for your help, i greatly appreciate it.

ok, i got the pro controller to work.  I'll be honest, while i do like the wii u touch pad, somehow i feel that it is actually heavier than the console itself, but then again maybe i'm just kind of tired today.  

well again thank you all for the helpful information

and YoshiWiiUGamer9 thank you for the free like, i appreciate it.

#5 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

You have to go into the options before you start the game and change the controller to the pro controller in order to use it for MHU.

Darn, didn't see your edit before I posted my message. Oh well. Lol. Glad you got it fixed.

Edited by Gaymer, 01 May 2013 - 05:20 PM.

#6 XxNightfallxX

XxNightfallxX

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

ok so I bought the ethernet adapter today and got the console fully updated.  I was however very surprised that it only took me less then an hour to accomplish this.

So now the only thing left to do is to purchase an external hard drive.  Gamestop and Best Buys certainly didn't have the hard drive I wanted, apparently the 320gb hard drive costs $69.99 at game stop and a 1 TB hard drive costed about $100 at Best Buys so I guess they didn't have the best deals.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for all the help.  I can finally enjoy using the wii u without much worry.

#7 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

Yeah, $100 is a bit pricey. A quick scan on Amazon showed 1TB external drives for about $80. You can probably find them even cheaper than that out there too.

#8 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

If you have a Fry's near you, GO THERE!  No better place for deals on HDDs.  Otherwise, Newegg that piece.

Edited by routerbad, 02 May 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#9 XxNightfallxX

XxNightfallxX

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

Guess I can try ordering the hard drive online.

Anyway, thanks again for the information.

#10 Smertrius

Smertrius

Thwomp

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • NNID:smertrius
  • Fandom:
    nintendo videogames,

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

you need update your wii u to play wii games

#11 routerbad

routerbad