• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

As sombering as it is impressive. Portals gameplay was some of the most progressive and innovative of the entire generation, and here are its fundamental game mechanics running on a ds, a system less powerful than the n64.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#2 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

Definitely impressive. Doesn't look half bad either.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#3 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

As sombering as it is impressive. Portals gameplay was some of the most progressive and innovative of the entire generation, and here are its fundamental game mechanics running on a ds, a system less powerful than the n64.

The DS can outperform the N64, so many games on it look better than N64 games...

More to the point, this is very impressive, why did Valve never make this a reality?

(I know it's not an official game).

Bring the noise.

#4 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

The DS can outperform the N64, so many games on it look better than N64 games...
More to the point, this is very impressive, why did Valve never make this a reality?

No, it cant, The n64 was far more powerful. Though I wont argue they do often look much better.

Prime example is mario 64 ds. Looks much better on ds.

But its only a fraction of what the n64 game did and rendered, such as the trilinear filtering and even Marios model, as primitive as it looks takes far more polys than ds's better looking model.

They simply were better/ had more experience by the time the ds came out.

I highly suggest you do some research should you attempt to persue this, as you dont know where or why the n64 model has so many more polygons than the ds model, and will likely erroneously try to point out his hair or something where the ds game looks better, and i have model rips of both.

As for why valve hast tried anything like this? EVen if you wanted to they couldnt. They dont know how to. The days of future crew level talent is long gone. Devs are far too hard pressed, rushed, and under resourced by publishers making their code sloppy nowadays, and require gratuitious amounts of power to chug through their sloppy code.... singing the praises of raw power for gameplay innovation.... when it can basically run on a machine like the ds

Edited by 3Dude, 07 May 2013 - 12:38 PM.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#5 dante👌

dante👌

Special Product

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

Looks like it would be a fun game to play, Is this actually being made?

#6 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

Looks like it would be a fun game to play, Is this actually being made?

Yes, on the ds homebrew seen. A download should be made available soon, actually.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#7 dante👌

dante👌

Special Product

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

Yes, on the ds homebrew seen. A download should be made available soon, actually.

Awesome, i'll have to get it.

#8 Byakuya Togami

Byakuya Togami

Hallowed Be Thy Name

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

Because Valve has no interest in the handheld market.

#9 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

No, it cant, The n64 was far more powerful. Though I wont argue they do often look much better.

Prime example is mario 64 ds. Looks much better on ds.

But its only a fraction of what the n64 game did and rendered, such as the trilinear filtering and even Marios model, as primitive as it looks takes far more polys than ds's better looking model.

They simply were better/ had more experience by the time the ds came out.

I highly suggest you do some research should you attempt to persue this, as you dont know where or why the n64 model has so many more polygons than the ds model, and will likely erroneously try to point out his hair or something where the ds game looks better, and i have model rips of both.

As for why valve hast tried anything like this? EVen if you wanted to they couldnt. They dont know how to. The days of future crew level talent is long gone. Devs are far too hard pressed, rushed, and under resourced by publishers making their code sloppy nowadays, and require gratuitious amounts of power to chug through their sloppy code.... singing the praises of raw power for gameplay innovation.... when it can basically run on a machine like the ds

Well, I was just under the impression that the DS is more powerful because I can't imagine many games on the DS looking like they do on the N64, but if the N64 is more powerful, fair enough. (I think it's mainly the screen size that makes DS games look good.

Because Valve has no interest in the handheld market.

Well they should.

Bring the noise.

#10 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Happy Monk, on 07 May 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:Well, I was just under the impression that the DS is more powerful because I can't imagine many games on the DS looking like they do on the N64, but if the N64 is more powerful, fair enough. (I think it's mainly the screen size that makes DS games look good.

The reason ds games look so much better is because the artist have way WAY more experience with 3d models in the ds era.... While they were just learning in the n64 era.

Mario's model in m64 was 758 polygons, near half of the ds's hard poly cap.

Real time Animation technology was fledgling back then, and polygon transform was primitive, poorly optimized, and thus far more computationally expensive than it is today.... So it wasnt used for most n64 games.

So mario, and anything that animated in m64 had to have these accordian like structures in every joint or part that animated so that the model could animate.

Today, people can do faaaaar more with far less, which is why so many ds games looked so great, like m64 ds, avalon code, viewtiful joe, okamiden, mp hunters, golden sun, and all those other great looking ds games.

And yeah, the low res screen hid a lot of imperfections.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#11 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

If a developer made a N64 game in the DS era, it would look better.

#12 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

Wow that actually looks cool.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#13 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

Wow. How do you get homebrew on a ds, cause I need this now. They should have pitched this to Valve: that's how Team Fortress was created. I remember a while back someone made Halo 3 on DS, and it was actually really cool.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#14 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:37 PM

I remember a while back someone made Halo 3 on DS, and it was actually really cool.

Wow, I think I gotta get Homebrew too.

#15 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

Really interesting... Never even came close to think it would be possible.
Posted Image

#16 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:20 AM

was surprised when people were saying portal took alot of power to begin with. i fegurd the DS was too weak, the 3DS i thought could handle it in the same retangerineion, but now it adds to the point, if it cant run, the devs are lazy/bad devs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!