Photo

Why didnt Nintendo just make wii u more powerful?

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#41 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

Crysis 3 was cancelled due to EA.
Bioshock was in development for years and barely got released on the platforms it did release on.
Metro was THQ published, which meant bankruptcy would dampen the possibilities.
GTA5 is unlikely, for the same reason Bioshock never happened, and tomb raider etc. Games in development with years are unlikely.

Nintendo could have moneyballsed them all if they wanted to though, doubt it'd pay off but they could have.

That's very true ^_^ I agree completely.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#42 Shogo

Shogo

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:06 AM

Crysis 3 was cancelled due to EA.

Bioshock was in development for years and barely got released on the platforms it did release on.

Metro was THQ published, which meant bankruptcy would dampen the possibilities.

GTA5 is unlikely, for the same reason Bioshock never happened, and tomb raider etc. Games in development with years are unlikely.

Nintendo could have moneyballsed them all if they wanted to though, doubt it'd pay off but they could have.

Bioshock Infinite barely got released on the platforms it did releason on?
I wouldn't call selling 3.7 Million units since launch "barely"...

http://www.computera...ass-37-million/

Edited by Shogo, 19 May 2013 - 05:06 AM.

Posted Image

#43 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:09 AM

Bioshock Infinite barely got released on the platforms it did releason on?
I wouldn't call selling 3.7 Million units since launch "barely"...

http://www.computera...ass-37-million/

http://ie.ign.com/wi...ite/Development

There's also other rumours among some people who worked on the game which range from QA to designers.

The game changed a lot and turned into something completely different for release because it wasn't working out.

That's what I mean by "barely", it was plagued by problems.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#44 Shogo

Shogo

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:14 AM

http://ie.ign.com/wi...ite/Development

There's also other rumours among some people who worked on the game which range from QA to designers.

The game changed a lot and turned into something completely different for release because it wasn't working out.

That's what I mean by "barely", it was plagued by problems.

Well all the excuses in the world can be made for each game that doesn't get released on the Wii U.  It was the same throughout the life cycle of the Wii.  I missed out on all the major triple A games because of the same excuses.

Posted Image

#45 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:18 AM

(edit)

Edited by MorbidGod, 19 May 2013 - 05:43 AM.

#46 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:26 AM

Well all the excuses in the world can be made for each game that doesn't get released on the Wii U.  It was the same throughout the life cycle of the Wii.  I missed out on all the major triple A games because of the same excuses.

No, you missed out on AAA games on wii because of the hardware. Wii u is capable of last gen games and probably all next gen games that will be released for at least a few years.

I wouldn't expect every ps3 game in development for 3 years to be on the ps4 either.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#47 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:51 AM

Nintendo already had the most powerfull console once (N64) and one of the second most powerfull console too (GC). Did it help Nintendo? No.

The market always said that it doesn`t  care about graphics or processing power.

People have always criticized Nintendo: too kiddie; underpowered, etc. It`s always something.

3rd parties like EA have since a lot of time a go, unsupported Nintendo consoles. Nothing new. It`s about the userbase: if they buy all kinds of games, companies will support them.

#48 TheDave545

TheDave545

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

This isn't a flame on you, even though it appears you were flaming me (and others) defending Nintendo's position. This is a response to your point of view -- which is limited, however truthful it may be.

As someone who worked retail in a Game Store (Game Stop or something like that, I assume) then this question should be easy for you. For the Wii, if one was going to buy one, what was the top selling game? According to the sources listed below this response, Wii Sports and Mario Kart Wii. Wii Sports went on -- although this is sorta cheating since it was bundled with the Wii originally -- over 80 million copies since 2006. This is compared to the FIFA 11, being 132 on the list -- barely, globally, selling one million copies. Madden NFL 08 is even worse, not even reaching one million copies (and in Japn the numbers are so low that my source has 0 copies sold). Now EA Sports Active, which sold over 3 million units globally did respectively well. However, the follow up went on to sell under two million copies. Usually, when a direct sequel doesn't do well it generally mean the previous owners weren't that happy with the game. If they were, wouldn't you think the second would have at least crossed the 2 million mark? Even looking beyond the Wii, and going back to the GCN days. EA doesn't even get on my top 25 selling games for the GCN. Which means none of their games sold more then one million on the GCN. Looking at the Wii U, it doesn't get much better. I'll just let you look at the numbers, they really do speak for themselves. They are higher on the list -- but there hasn't been many huge sellers yet on the Wii U (sadly, which is Nintendo's fault) -- but even still Madden of FIFA aren't on the top ten list. Top Ten List of Wii U. Meaning, out of all the customers who bought a Wii U (over 3 million customers), not even one third of them wanted a Madden or FIFA game. Combine the sales, sure EA has one third of the Wii U customer base. Which is pathetic.

Looking at these numbers, it is easy to see EA pulling back from Nintendo and not supporting them. Nintendo clearly doesn't need EA to see consoles. Really, Ubisoft and Nintendo are ther system sellers for NIntendo. Ubisoft has confirmed they are committed to the Wii U -- so Nintendo is fine there. As far as I know, Nintendo is still publishing games for the Wii U, and haven't pulled back support to the other platforms (such as the Sony PS3 -- and yes, that is a sarcastic remark). So, with Nintendo and Ubisoft being commited to the Nintendo Wii U. Ubisoft bringing Watch Dogs and Assasins Credd IV: Black Flag to the Wii U (and it's all but confirmed Nintendo is getting the same engine as the PS4 with the same visual assets used for Watch Dogs U). Let's not forget Sega, who also helped sell GCN's, and Wii's and will continue to help sell Wii U with the new Sonic games coming exclusively to the Wii U platform. These are publishers who understand want Nintendo fans want. Who know how to be successful on said platform. EA, sadly, is unable to sustain themselves on the Nintendo platform. This isn't Nintendo's fault. It's EA's.

However, my personaly distaste for EA doesn't come from my dislike for their games. In fact, I like their Mass Effect series and would be interested in Dead Space. The SIMS is always fun. Would probably be a blast on the Wii U. I actually was excited to see Nintendo and EA seem like buddy buddy's E3 2011. No, my distaste for that company is because of choice employee's for making comments that aren't true. You see, when a Microsoft employee makes comments the company doesn't approve of we get an appology and that employee gets fired. EA, on the other hand, either approves of these comments or don't care what their employee's are doing. Either case, it's wrong. These developers obviously don't know what they are talking about. Saying Frostbite 2 and 3 can't run on the Wii U, when said engines are running on the Xbox 360 and PS3. Saying the Wii U is less powerful than the Xbox 360 and is "crap". This is unprofessonial, even if the comments are true. It's meant to harm another company and not meant to be constructive. I will not support a company who bluntly lies about about company. It's not like EA hasn't proven the Wii U graphically, because they have with Need for Speed Most Wanted. I actually wanted that game, and was planning on purchasing it. But I won't now. The reason? Because EA is a horrible company, and they deserve their poor sales they are getting on these titles.

With all that said, Nintendo and EA need to come together and work things out. Nintendo can and will do fine without them. EA will probably do just fine too. However, you can't tell me EA won't want to have a system seller on a platform that has a user base of 40+ million units. I believe Nintendo can easily sell 40 million units in three years, even with the slow start. If Nintendo surpases or even meets that goal, EA will be behind the curve and they won't be able to change it. They are using their resources now, and by the time Nintendo has their system sellers out EA won't be able to move quick enough. I've seen in back with the Wii, with most developers and publishers writing it off until they noticed it was a run away hit. Took time for them to move resources and development to the Wii. Here, most developers aren't counting Nintendo out yet. In fact, Ubisoft did a 180 with Watch Dogs and decided to put a team on making Watch Dogs for Wii U even though they have a lot of their resources making games for the Wii U. That means they believe they can make it profitable, and I have no doubt that they will do well on the Nintendo platform.

Now, to bring this back to how your point of view is truthful. It will mean Nintendo will have a hard time selling to a certain crowd. It will mean that the Wii U will have to be a second system for some gamers. However, Nintendo doesn't need those gamers to sell Wii U's. Nintendo just need their own fans to buy into their platform. Even if they just sell to current 3DS owners, that would be very good. So yes, your point of view is correct. But that doesn't mean Nintendo is doomed. It just means those gamers are going to be harder to reach.

[I]But those aren't the only gamers in the world.[\I].

With that ... I am done.

SOURCES:

GCN Sales
Wii Sales
Wii U Sales

Refreshing to see a well constructed argument on here for a change, yes its true the Wii sold 80+ million Wiis, but the thing about this number is it doesn't show the amount of Wiis that went on to be traded after 2 months of being purchased because a lot of people bring there consoles back within 2 months of purchase and tade it or sell it back because they say, and i swear to you i am not making this up, they say:

"Its rainbow"

"Its collecting dust now, i played Mario Kart for about a week and thats it"

"Im not interested in Mario or Zelda" - This one is blasphemy btw!

"I bought it for the motion controls but they suck"

"Its not even HD, it looks like a PS2 game"

These are just a handful of comments we get regarding the original Wii, the thing with the Wii is it was marketed to perfect after its first year, Nintendo came out swinging with the marketing, showing it as a console that could help get you fit, its great for young and old gamers alike, and its easy to use, it sold brilliantly because Nintendo knew how to market it, i hope they do with the Wii U, and having Ubisoft alone is not a saving grace.

All Wii U needs is that 1 killer app and that will be it, they will fly off the shelves.

#49 xBASSxMONSTAx

xBASSxMONSTAx

Blooper

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Nintendo Legends

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

SuperWiiU_zps8aaaf2f2.png

#50 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Wii U is powerful, I don't know why people say it's weak, the Wii U is getting the same version as Watch_Dogs as PS4. The only reason EA won't put games on it is they are butthurt about Nintendo saying no to Origin.

#51 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

Refreshing to see a well constructed argument on here for a change, yes its true the Wii sold 80+ million Wiis, but the thing about this number is it doesn't show the amount of Wiis that went on to be traded after 2 months of being purchased because a lot of people bring there consoles back within 2 months of purchase and tade it or sell it back because they say, and i swear to you i am not making this up, they say:

"Its rainbow"
"Its collecting dust now, i played Mario Kart for about a week and thats it"
"Im not interested in Mario or Zelda" - This one is blasphemy btw!
"I bought it for the motion controls but they suck"
"Its not even HD, it looks like a PS2 game"

These are just a handful of comments we get regarding the original Wii, the thing with the Wii is it was marketed to perfect after its first year, Nintendo came out swinging with the marketing, showing it as a console that could help get you fit, its great for young and old gamers alike, and its easy to use, it sold brilliantly because Nintendo knew how to market it, i hope they do with the Wii U, and having Ubisoft alone is not a saving grace.

All Wii U needs is that 1 killer app and that will be it, they will fly off the shelves

First, thanks ^_^. Second, I was talking more on game sales. Wii Sports connected to the Wii is why it sold so well, but Mario Kart wasn't always bundled (although it might have been at some point). EA games, though, just don't sell on Nintendo for some reason.

Third, the bolded text, I agree completely.

And another clarification. Ubisoft isn't the saving grace of Nintendo. The entire point, as stated above, is that EA doesn't, and has never, sold Nintendo platforms. Yes, FIFA 13 sold 14+ million units, but under a million (if I remember correctly) is how many sold on Wii U. Not even a third of Nintendo's customer base cared to buy that game. I think they even had a free demo and that didn't help. So clearly, EA announcing that they aren't currently making Wii U games isn't a game changer for Nintendo. People don't buy a Nintendo platform for EA. People buy Nintendo for Nintendo. Arguments can be made ppl buy Nintendo for Sega, or Ubisoft.

If Ubisoft ever says we aren't making games for Nintendo, then and only then will there be a problem.

CLEARLY, though, Nintendo needs to show EA how to be successful on their platform. I just don't think it's ever going to happen.

Edited by MorbidGod, 19 May 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#52 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

Its fair to say that as electrical goods manufacturers go, nintendo are one of the biggest in the world. Agreed?
Then why oh why after years of research leading up to the launch did they not beef up the power??????
I know the recent outburst from that EA employee is completely out of order, but he does make games and he probably knows more about the inner workings of wii u than all of us, it scares the shat out of me, and now one of my favorate games ever, fifa, isnt being made!!!!
Im confused and finding it increasingly hard to understand that a huge games and console manufacturer like nintendo would not make a more powerful machine! I enjoy my wii u but its feels like im clinging on to a dying pet i love. :(
E3 better be good !

The wii u is a good order more powerful than the last gen consoles. They did beef it up even to the point of selling at a loss for the first time ever on a home console. You are coming from a view that wii u is somehow underpowered. That's inaccurate. And the EA comment has no basis in reality. It is a business decision likely brought on by a new partnership.

The guy actually dumps on his own argument with the "weaker than 360" comment. When ea published a racing game on wii u with graphics impossible on 360.

Lots of purposeful misinformation.

#53 ChrisTerror

ChrisTerror

Blooper

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • NNID:ChrisTerror

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:16 PM

Nintendo already had the most powerfull console once (N64) and one of the second most powerfull console too (GC). Did it help Nintendo? No.

The market always said that it doesn`t  care about graphics or processing power.

People have always criticized Nintendo: too kiddie; underpowered, etc. It`s always something.

3rd parties like EA have since a lot of time a go, unsupported Nintendo consoles. Nothing new. It`s about the userbase: if they buy all kinds of games, companies will support them.

If all kinds of games are not available, the userbase moves on to console that has said games....

#54 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:10 AM

If all kinds of games are not available, the userbase moves on to console that has said games....

Wii U might not get all games, but it`s getting all genres. If people buy them in good numbers instead of buying them on other consoles, the system will see further support.

If that doesn`t happen, then yes, companies won`t support the system and gamers will see less of a reason to buy the system too.

#55 djlewe78

djlewe78

Blooper

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:55 AM

Who cares about N64 and GC guys, that argument is no longer relevant, im glad theres a lot of us nintendo fans who feel the same way at this time.
When nintendo were developing the wii u they must have looked at ways to win back there old customers who have gone over to PS and XBOX, im sure there list looked a bit like this,
1. Games, NOT first party but 3rd party, if these customers were truly in love with mario n zelda, they wouldnt have bought xbox's.
2. Internet and online play, obviously.
3. Power, most people have HD tvs now so nintendo should make use of that. And after all, no developer creating new and existing i.ps for next gen consoles ( supposedly like ours ) wants to be restricted by lack of power and the inability to run the newest graphics engine.
4. Make it seem more adult, if they keep slapping a picture of mario next to a nintendo logo nobody will believe nintendo are evolving.
They did well with the zombie u ad campaign, but it was hardly a ground breaker.
5. BIG BIG BIG Marketing campaign.
Its a fairly simple list but if they were serious about winning back gamers thats what was needed.
Heres another example of there failure with this console.
Unreal 4 we all new it was in development last year, and you my not like the games using unreal but for christ sake ps3 n xbox users do, the wii u cant use it, what ever anybody says, unreal said that unreal 3 is what the wii u will use. WHY THE F*#K WOULD YOU NOT MAKE A CONSOLE POWERFUL ENOUGH TO USE AN ENGINE HUNDREDS OF DEVS ARE CURRENTLY PRODUCING GAMES WITH FOR NEXT GEN CONSOLES! WE WILL MISS OUT AGAIN!!!!!
NINTENDO LISTEN , MAKE A FREEKIN CONSOLE POWERFUL ENOUGH TO RUN YOUR GAMES AND BIG 3RD PARTY GAMES AND YOU WIN THE CONSOLE WAR! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SO SO SO SIMPLE !

Im beggining to believe that because people and devs bang on at nintendo about making there machines more powerful, the old guys still running nintendo have said, "we no best, look at our track record, which is fair enough, but please please please, dont leave nintendo on a bad note, step down guys while your still seen as legends, i dont want to read an article headlined "the rise and fall of nintendo" with pictures of we all no who underneith.

#56 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

Who cares about N64 and GC guys, that argument is no longer relevant, im glad theres a lot of us nintendo fans who feel the same way at this time.
When nintendo were developing the wii u they must have looked at ways to win back there old customers who have gone over to PS and XBOX, im sure there list looked a bit like this,
1. Games, NOT first party but 3rd party, if these customers were truly in love with mario n zelda, they wouldnt have bought xbox's.
3. Power, most people have HD tvs now so nintendo should make use of that. And after all, no developer creating new and existing i.ps for next gen consoles ( supposedly like ours ) wants to be restricted by lack of power and the inability to run the newest graphics engine.
4. Make it seem more adult, if they keep slapping a picture of mario next to a nintendo logo nobody will believe nintendo are evolving.
They did well with the zombie u ad campaign, but it was hardly a ground breaker.
Its a fairly simple list but if they were serious about winning back gamers thats what was needed.
Unreal 4 we all new it was in development last year, and you my not like the games using unreal but for christ sake ps3 n xbox users do, the wii u cant use it, what ever anybody says, unreal said that unreal 3 is what the wii u will use. WHY THE F*#K WOULD YOU NOT MAKE A CONSOLE POWERFUL ENOUGH TO USE AN ENGINE HUNDREDS OF DEVS ARE CURRENTLY PRODUCING GAMES WITH FOR NEXT GEN CONSOLES! WE WILL MISS OUT AGAIN!!!!!
NINTENDO LISTEN , MAKE A FREEKIN CONSOLE POWERFUL ENOUGH TO RUN YOUR GAMES AND BIG 3RD PARTY GAMES AND YOU WIN THE CONSOLE WAR! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SO SO SO SIMPLE !

Im beggining to believe that because people and devs bang on at nintendo about making there machines more powerful, the old guys still running nintendo have said, "we no best, look at our track record, which is fair enough, but please please please, dont leave nintendo on a bad note, step down guys while your still seen as legends, i dont want to read an article headlined "the rise and fall of nintendo" with pictures of we all no who underneith.

1: Sega isn't first party, and they seem to be making games for Nintendo. Even exclusively.
2: valid point
3: Power? Isn't the Wii U HD? Doesn't it come with HDMI cable in the box? Hmmm.
4: More adult? Come on son.
5: Power again? No Unreal 4? I guess you don't read.

http://m.joystiq.com...-work-on-wii-u/

Go, read update. Unreal 4 supports Wii U. And the company is not Unreal, it's epic. That right there shows you know nothing of what your talking about.

I'm done.

#57 djlewe78

djlewe78

Blooper

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

lol fair points but wrong mate, apart from the epic bit, unreal 4 might run but devs will use 3 on wii u to make there games run better, im looking for source on that.
Number 5 was nothing about power it clearly says BIG MARKETING CAMPAIGN.
Look im a nintendo fan too ( lol hard to believe from recent posts ) i do like the wii u, but im just anoyed at nintendos sheer ignorance towards developers needs, meaning this great console will be snubbed for big new titles i will want to play. I see it like this.........
imagine you ask me to build wall, you say to me, "what do you need", i say "bricks, cement, a shovel, and spirit level, and it will be perfect". You bring me everything i need except the cement, "the wall aint gonna last" i tell you.... do you see my point lol

#58 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

I think we all see what you're trying to say, but we're (or at least I am) telling you that Nintendo did bring the cement.

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#59 Tre

Tre

Blooper

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:29 AM

If you have to question your purchase, then trade it in when these (so called) great "Next gen" consoles come out. Some of you that are complaining are dissatisified with your purchase. If the Wii U was or will be my only console, then if I miss out on a game then I miss out. I own all consoles when they come out and I still miss out on games. I cannot buy them all and if I did, I certainly do not have the time to play them all. People are treating the game industry as life or death scenerios. It is just games to entertain us. I am satisified with my purchase of WiI U. As I was with all of my consoles. They all do one thing for me. They entertain me. I am a big sports fan. No Fifa or No Madden on the Wii U. I can buy the version on the other consoles but I won't. When a company treat other companies bad or unprofessional, then they do not deserve my purchase. I do not deserve their game because I am not bias.

Edited by Tre, 21 May 2013 - 07:30 AM.

#60 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:15 AM

Nintendo got away with releasing a technically weak console with the wii and it was a huge success. They tried it again with the wii u and it failed. It's really an issue of greed with Nintendo, they want to sell low cost hardware at inflated prices. This time around they misjudged it. They really needed a spec somewhere between 360/PS3 and the next gen sony and microsoft models but instead they went for a very low cost design. What is impressive is how Nintendo have combined very low cost parts with very low power consumption to create console that is competitive with 360/PS3. What isn't impressive sadly is performance. It's weaker in some areas compared to 360/PS3 like the cpu and main memory bandwidth. 

If Nintendo had abandoned wii compatibility they could have achieved greater performance at a lower price. I personally would have prefered this route.

The gamepad is also not ideal It's over-sized and its highly likely a new wii u model will come out with a reduced size screen on the game pad.

Nintendo will fight back and they have a huge advantage in that their console is made of very low cost parts so they don't have to go head to head with ps4 and the new xbox price wise.

It's great news for consumers as Nintendo are now forced to lower prices and bundle more software to sell wii u consoles.

Again with the misinformative, disingenuous posts.

The WiiU is not usng low cost parts, at all.  We know from expert analysis (the people who actually did the die shots and do them for a living) that the GPU is somewhere in the ballpark of $100 per chip (at wholesale).  The rest of the parts are similar, the CPU is a great custom chip using a creative blend of new tech and old ideas.

There is no reason to believe, at all, that a "reduced screen size" gamepad will ever be released, the ergonomics are well thought out and implemented.

Here is the real meat that you don't seem to understand.  Wii U announced in 2011, and even on very early prototype hardware looked amazing.  Nintendo took advice from developers in creating the spec sheet for the console.  Programmable shaders, plenty of RAM, high density and high speed disk drive, online capability, social integration.  The console is actually a very nice piece of hardware, as is the gamepad.  Sony and MS have had two years since the WiiU reveal to make sure that their systems were slightly more powerful than WiiU.

The point is that if nintendo comunicated and listened to the developers making the games they wanted to see on wii u we wouldnt be in this mess. If anybody says but need for speed as pc textures again ill scream! i play it on ps3 as well as wii u and there is bearly any difference at all. They claim the controler is the next gen part but i have a tablet, thats not next gen! Has any body seen microsoft illumiroom? look it up on youtube, thats inovation. I feel like i may come accross as troll but im not, i run a business of my own and businesses should keep evolving or risk being left behind.
If it was possible id like nintendo offer full refunds to its customers, take back the consoles, salvage any parts, sell them or reuse them and start again. I cant understand why console makers cant make there machines upgradable like pcs, that way insuring customers have the choice to make machines as powerful as they want them.

It isn't the fact that it is using PC textures that makes it a feat.  It's the fact that it was ported in under three months, on foreign hardware to the developers, running on an engine designed for a very different architecture.  The fact that they were able to "flip a switch" to include higher resolution textures and more robust assets as well as implement novel gamepad features and a completely overhauled lighting system is very impressive, and speaks to what can be done with little time but decent support from Nintendo.

I have never heard that. For the Wii, yes they had to. That's why the Wii wasn't HD. But Nintendo, while I am sure budget constraints led to some trouble, wouldn't make the Wii U less powerful than the 360.

Nintendo actually had another console that would have been more powerful in 2006 but shoveled it in favor of using motion controls to expand the market, rather than to appeal to the smallest segment.

Nope, you missed out on the AAA games because Wii was simply (and very obviously at the time) not able to compete visually.  Now, since for most AAA games released by third parties the budget is 30% marketing, 50% visuals, and 20% gameplay, most of the investment spent on those games was lost on Wii.  When games rely most heavily on visuals because the gameplay isn't good enough to compensate sales will suffer.

1. Third party games DO NOT SELL SYSTEMS

2. They've done this, and continue to improve it

3. It has plenty of "power" to run anything PS4 can run, you are still operating under the assumption that WiiU being less powerful than PS4 will somehow make a huge difference in visuals or in gameplay, it won't, for reasons that myself and others have constantly showed and proved.

4. This is just a ridiculous strawman argument, and has no place here.  Videogame systems aren't "adult" or "not adult" or "kiddy" (exception for Leapster!) and for the first time ever Nintendo is not requiring concept approval on games published for their hardware, meaning 3rd parties can make literally whatever they want.  Hell the most marketed game for the WiiU BY NINTENDO was ZombiU leading up to launch.

5. I agree, they do need a big marketing campaign, but I seriously think that Nintendo themselves felt they had to launch too early, and that the system wasn't stable enough for their liking, so they decided to let the early adopters get in on it, an audience in which ad dollars would have been completely wasted.  Once the system is more stable and feature rich (Summer update, anyone?) they will go on an ad blitz.  They've already said as much.

Also, UE4 can and will run on WiiU, but EPIC will not be doing the legwork.  EPIC ported UE3 to WiiU, they haven't seen a good return on that investment yet, it makes no sense for them to port another engine with THE EXACT SAME FEATURE SET as UE3 save the workflow.  By the way, Thief 4 is console exclusive to PS4 and is developed using Unreal3.  "Hundreds of game developers" aren't using unreal 4 yet and no software has been released on it.  Check your arguments better.

Nintendo will not win the console war with hardware, no manufacturer ever has, in fact.  They will win it with compelling software. Period, end of story.

Please stop griping and moaning about things which you obviously don't understand very well.  You've shown that you don't understand the business side of the video game industry, and that you don't understand how hardware works, as you are simply parroting the same trite arguments that are brought forward either by people with a vested interest in Nintendo's failure, or the drones that parrot them because they are unable to think for themselves.

lol fair points but wrong mate, apart from the epic bit, unreal 4 might run but devs will use 3 on wii u to make there games run better, im looking for source on that.
Number 5 was nothing about power it clearly says BIG MARKETING CAMPAIGN.
Look im a nintendo fan too ( lol hard to believe from recent posts ) i do like the wii u, but im just anoyed at nintendos sheer ignorance towards developers needs, meaning this great console will be snubbed for big new titles i will want to play. I see it like this.........
imagine you ask me to build wall, you say to me, "what do you need", i say "bricks, cement, a shovel, and spirit level, and it will be perfect". You bring me everything i need except the cement, "the wall aint gonna last" i tell you.... do you see my point lol

Sorry, you're wrong again.  EPIC never made such a comment, so you'll be looking for a long time for that source, I'm afraid.

You say Nintendo is ignorant but every console generation sees Nintendo do something completely different that is aped either partially or entirely by their competitors.  The problem isn't that Nintendo is ignorant, no Nintendo has a very good read on the industry and on the market, they do things differently because if things keep along the same path for very long we have another industry crash to deal with.  Every industry has their bubble, and the video game industry is not immune.  When the bubble bursts, and it will sooner rather than later, Nintendo will once again provide the framework for recovery, good, creative software.  They've already made an investment in this with the unity partnership, meaning the easiest console for indies to develop for, despite not being x86, is WiiU.

Do you think that Nintendo could have brokered a 3 game exclusivity deal with SEGA of all companies if they didn't have a strong sales strategy lined up?  Do you really think that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!