• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

Someone on Beyond3D called fourth storm is saying they think the TMUs of the Wii U GPU were incorrectly detected and that it actually has 8 TMUs. The experts also now believe it has 160 shaders. So it might be 8:8:160, less TMUs and shaders than the 360. They say the bandwidth is what puts it ahead.

If true, it might explain why the Wii U is, supposedly, hard to develop for.

Edited by Amnesia, 19 May 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#2 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

Its funny to me as the numbers just keep dropping and dropping from the so called experts. At this point number don't mean anything because they are all guessing. We don't have much longer to wait until E3... That's going to tell us much more about what this system can do.

#3 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

Forth Storm by his own admision is not an expert.

#4 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

It actually has 320 shaders since it's using the new (circa 2010) AMD architecture, which double the number of shaders per (i don't recall the name of the thing right now. will edit the post when i do though),

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#5 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

yet im going with asymmetric shaders. or other forms of speclization that the shaders have to do less work/do it much more effiencently. as for 160, very very doubtful. 320 actualy made some sense.

#6 djlewe78

djlewe78

Blooper

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:02 AM

Does it mater, how ever many shaders it has its not enough to make developers want to programme for it.

#7 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:15 AM

I dont think this is correct. Latte is just too big. Its a ver large die.

Remove the edram and you still have around a 100 mm square die full if logic at a dense 40nm process.

Highly unlikely to have so much space for.... Nothing. That is just a very small space for texture and shader units for such a large die on that process size.

Custom designs like this are often a mix of hand layout and computer design for effecient use of space. You usually arent able to eyeball much, particularly once the computer starts custom arranging logic.

There could be many more shader and texture units that were arranged by computer to make the most effecient use of space that just dont resemble the familiar layout thats being identified.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#8 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:11 AM

Does it mater, how ever many shaders it has its not enough to make developers want to programme for it.

no its pretty much just ea who does not want to.

#9 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:04 AM

I'm really sorry but my brain pooped when I read that, can someone explain.

#10 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:03 PM

Basically the Wii U is not really that underpowered, so if the Xbox One is a nvidia 670 then the Wii U is a 650

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#11 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

I dont think this is correct. Latte is just too big. Its a ver large die.

Remove the edram and you still have around a 100 mm square die full if logic at a dense 40nm process.

Highly unlikely to have so much space for.... Nothing. That is just a very small space for texture and shader units for such a large die on that process size.

Custom designs like this are often a mix of hand layout and computer design for effecient use of space. You usually arent able to eyeball much, particularly once the computer starts custom arranging logic.

There could be many more shader and texture units that were arranged by computer to make the most effecient use of space that just dont resemble the familiar layout thats being identified.

I think that is more likely than not, there was talk of asymmetric or unorthodox shader organization on it when the die was released. 

#12 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

Basically the Wii U is not really that underpowered, so if the Xbox One is a nvidia 670 then the Wii U is a 650

Based on the rumoured specifications I would say the Wii U is a 630, Xbox One 650 and PS4 660.  (I am guesstimating that based on the fact the PS4 claims to be around the power of a 660 and rumour is that the Xbox One is less powerful by a fair bit)

Of course even that is not taking into account any custom logic on the above consoles which could make a difference.

For example if the PS4 relies on pure GPGPU to offset some load from the CPU but the Wii U has custom silicon for those things, it makes them a closer match.  This is one reason why its near impossible to compare one console to another, because there could be subtle differences on how they run the same game which makes a HUGE difference to the end result.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!