Photo

Could this be the reason for lack of power...

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 djlewe78

djlewe78

Blooper

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:17 AM

The more i think about it, does anybody feel nintendo might deliberatly underpower the wii u so the big third party games dont outsell there first party titles?

#2 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

The more i think about it, does anybody feel nintendo might deliberatly underpower the wii u so the big third party games dont outsell there first party titles?

no

#3 djlewe78

djlewe78

Blooper

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

no

why not? reason please, and remember, nintendo are supposed to be winning back core gamers.

#4 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

no

let me explain.

nintnedo already makes money per software package sold. so limiting it to lower sales is  not in their best intrest.

#5 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

POPULAR

No...

1. It's not underpowered

2. It's a terrible way to gain money. Nintendo gain some money from third party games that sell on their console. What's the point of making underpowered console so third parts don't sell on it? they are just going to be losing money themselves.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

remember, nintendo are supposed to be winning back core gamers.

Are they?
When did they lose me?
Am I not CORE enough because I don't spend €65 for a yearly First Person Shooter?

I think you're wrong.
Nintendo don't need to under-power their system to sell more copies of their own games.
Did funky Barn require high specs? No. And it didn't outsell Mario.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 Structures

Structures

LIL B's SiDEKiCK

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • NNID:Structures
  • Fandom:
    Gundam, Nintendo, Warcraft, Guild Wars

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:30 AM

it's not about the power, it's about how developers utilize the hardware, there's great games that look on par with other games and run at 60 fps vs 30fps on the same hardware

636416_0.jpg
Youtube Twitch.tv I stream Wii U Gameplay and PC Games

#8 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

My faith in humanity hust got flushed down the toilet, how stupid is that, Wii U IS POWERFULL, how many times am I gonna have to say: IT'S GETTING THE PS4 VERSION OF WATCH_DOGS!!!!!!!! That's gotta mean something right?

#9 Robotic Sunshine Commander

Robotic Sunshine Commander

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

For chrizts sakes....... The Wii U IS NOT underpowered. It has great power, just not too much.

Signature_Fox.png

#10 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

My faith in humanity hust got flushed down the toilet, how stupid is that, Wii U IS POWERFULL, how many times am I gonna have to say: IT'S GETTING THE PS4 VERSION OF WATCH_DOGS!!!!!!!! That's gotta mean something right?

I agree that the report of it being under powered are greatly exaggerated BUT, what makes you think its getting the PS4 version of Watch Dogs?

Its highly unlikely its going to be as fancy as the PS4 version, but I think it will be clearly better than the PS360 version.

In other words it could only be described as the Wii U version of Watch Dogs, some things as good as the PS4, some things toned down like the PS360 versions.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 21 May 2013 - 04:15 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#11 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

I agree that the report of it being under powered are greatly exaggerated BUT, what makes you think its getting the PS4 version of Watch Dogs?

Its highly unlikely its going to be as fancy as the PS4 version, but I think it will be clearly better than the PS360 version.

In other words it could only be described as the Wii U version of Watch Dogs, some things as good as the PS4, some things toned down like the PS360 versions.

Ubisoft have CONFIRMED that the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game ARE NOT IN DEVELOPMENT as of yet, and that they are concerntrating on next gen platforms first. THE WII U VERSION IS BIENG DEVELOPED WITH THE PS4 AND XBOX ONE VERSIONS FROM THE SAME BUILD! Google it!

#12 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:59 AM

Ubisoft have CONFIRMED that the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game ARE NOT IN DEVELOPMENT as of yet, and that they are concerntrating on next gen platforms first. THE WII U VERSION IS BIENG DEVELOPED WITH THE PS4 AND XBOX ONE VERSIONS FROM THE SAME BUILD! Google it!

That makes no sense at all. The release date for all 3 versions is 19th November. Why on earth would they develop the wii u version which is powerpc based with the 2 x86 consoles. Even if the wii u version is enhanced it would still likely be developed with ps3 and 360 due to similar architecture. It's likely those working on the powerpc versions are sharing resources across the 3 formats. Clearly the wii u version will have enhanced features with regard the gamepad and thats where the additional effort will go.

Many ps3 and 360 games are outperforming wii u games so they have as much right to say they are competitive with ps4 and xbox one versions and its quite possible that visually or in frame rates they may actually end up superior to the wii u version if the wii u is making massive use of the gamepad.

All this wii u is powerful talk really needs something or anything to back it up. All we have so far is a few improved textures in need for speed and a slightly better frame where as some ps3 and 360 games have improvements over wii u like improved frame rates, higher resolution, more sound channels, improved graphic detail, improved graphic effects, physic's engines etc. Surely we need to see the wii u outperforming ps3 and 360 before we start saying it can take on the ps4 and xbox one. If it can't outperform dated hardware like the 360 and PS3 then clearly it hasn't a chance against the PS4 and xbox one.

#13 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:56 AM

This theory seems unlikely. By default, first party would tend to know how to utilize the hardware better than third party. They don't even need to gimp it for third parties.

#14 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:02 AM

That makes no sense at all. The release date for all 3 versions is 19th November. Why on earth would they develop the wii u version which is powerpc based with the 2 x86 consoles. Even if the wii u version is enhanced it would still likely be developed with ps3 and 360 due to similar architecture. It's likely those working on the powerpc versions are sharing resources across the 3 formats. Clearly the wii u version will have enhanced features with regard the gamepad and thats where the additional effort will go.

Many ps3 and 360 games are outperforming wii u games so they have as much right to say they are competitive with ps4 and xbox one versions and its quite possible that visually or in frame rates they may actually end up superior to the wii u version if the wii u is making massive use of the gamepad.

All this wii u is powerful talk really needs something or anything to back it up. All we have so far is a few improved textures in need for speed and a slightly better frame where as some ps3 and 360 games have improvements over wii u like improved frame rates, higher resolution, more sound channels, improved graphic detail, improved graphic effects, physic's engines etc. Surely we need to see the wii u outperforming ps3 and 360 before we start saying it can take on the ps4 and xbox one. If it can't outperform dated hardware like the 360 and PS3 then clearly it hasn't a chance against the PS4 and xbox one.

We have shown you, over and over, that the Wii U is more powerful than the 360 and PS3. Look at Most Wanted. The graphics are improved. This comes from a developer who is very anti Nintendo. Yet they proved the Wii U is not crap (ironically, like an EA employee said).

The argument is not that the Wii U is super powerful. The argument is that the PS4 and Xbox One isn't as powerful as you say it is. You continue to believe the Xbox One is superior due to more ram and more processing power (which we don't know a lot about that processor), but we do know it has three OS's. We know Windows 8 requires 2GB to run (64 bit processor). Assuming the OS's controlling apps and games get 2GB each, and the third 1GB that's 5GB. Then Kinnect requires 2GB, that's 7GB of ram used. Which leaves one gig of ram for games.

This is basic math. And again, we know very little about the Xbox processor. We don't know how fast, how much cashe it has, or how many cores the games will actually use. We do know how many transistors it has. 5 billion. Which, in my mind, means it's definitely a beast in hiding. But there are so many factors, we need to see the whole picture.

Truthfully, this is the argument. Oddly enough, YOU have agreed with my assessment once. You said the Wii U is probably 4 to 6 times more powerful than the older systems. I agree. Then, you went on and said the PS4 and Xbox One are 6 - 8 times more powerful then the older systems. Which means the Wii U is 2 - 4 times less powerful than the PS4 and the Xbox One.

Which you keep on saying the Wii U isn't that much more powerful then the PS3. So, in essence, your saying the PS4 and X1 are about the same power as the Wii U.

More and more, I believe when Nintendo does show what the Wii U can do here soon, you are going to still say there is no proof. You keep making these phony argument's while skipping the actual argument.

About Watch Dogs, Ubisoft has stated they believe Wii U to be a viable next generation platform. They have also confirmed they are focusing on high end PC and next generation consoles. Which means Wii U.

http://www.videogame..._magnified.html

He even states the engine is very scalable. Meaning even though the Wii U is less powerful, the engine will be able to take full advantage of the console.

So your argument even on Watch Dogs is not based on fact. It's based off your logic, which Ubisoft doesn't share.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#15 ThePopiPenguin

ThePopiPenguin

Little Blue Penguin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • NNID:PowpiPenguin
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo and Valve

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:18 AM

No offense man (referring to djlewe) but please. Improve your grammar, punctuation and capitalization a wee bit :D . You've been posting nothing but variants of the same topic over and over again. Have some faith in the Wii U. It will soon pick up after sometime. Remember, specs aren't everything ;) . Remember the PS2 generation? The Xbox had the most raw firepower but in the end, the PS2 ended up becoming the greatest selling console of all time. 

Edited by PopiPenguin, 22 May 2013 - 06:19 AM.

NintNetwork: PowpiPenguin | Steam: PopiPenguin| LoL Philippines: PCD.Fencing.Cat |Guild Wars 2: Argath Stormseeker

"And on the first day, GabeN, our lord and saviour said: There shall be games!"

#16 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:28 AM

I dont think that they would underpower the system for that reason, but I do think this has a been a reason for designing their hardware in such a unique way.  I know some of this was to get the performance they want into a small package with low power consumption, but I also think this plays into making sure your internal developers have the upper hand in making the nicest looking games on the console.  With the PS4 for example, everyone is on a level playing field.  This is pretty much off the shelf hardware, so there wont be to many hidden tricks of the trade to making your games look head and shoulders above the competition. 

#17 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

We have shown you, over and over, that the Wii U is more powerful than the 360 and PS3. Look at Most Wanted. The graphics are improved. This comes from a developer who is very anti Nintendo. Yet they proved the Wii U is not crap (ironically, like an EA employee said).

The argument is not that the Wii U is super powerful. The argument is that the PS4 and Xbox One isn't as powerful as you say it is. You continue to believe the Xbox One is superior due to more ram and more processing power (which we don't know a lot about that processor), but we do know it has three OS's. We know Windows 8 requires 2GB to run (64 bit processor). Assuming the OS's controlling apps and games get 2GB each, and the third 1GB that's 5GB. Then Kinnect requires 2GB, that's 7GB of ram used. Which leaves one gig of ram for games.

This is basic math. And again, we know very little about the Xbox processor. We don't know how fast, how much cashe it has, or how many cores the games will actually use. We do know how many transistors it has. 5 billion. Which, in my mind, means it's definitely a beast in hiding. But there are so many factors, we need to see the whole picture.

Truthfully, this is the argument. Oddly enough, YOU have agreed with my assessment once. You said the Wii U is probably 4 to 6 times more powerful than the older systems. I agree. Then, you went on and said the PS4 and Xbox One are 6 - 8 times more powerful then the older systems. Which means the Wii U is 2 - 4 times less powerful than the PS4 and the Xbox One.

Which you keep on saying the Wii U isn't that much more powerful then the PS3. So, in essence, your saying the PS4 and X1 are about the same power as the Wii U.

More and more, I believe when Nintendo does show what the Wii U can do here soon, you are going to still say there is no proof. You keep making these phony argument's while skipping the actual argument.

About Watch Dogs, Ubisoft has stated they believe Wii U to be a viable next generation platform. They have also confirmed they are focusing on high end PC and next generation consoles. Which means Wii U.

http://www.videogame..._magnified.html

He even states the engine is very scalable. Meaning even though the Wii U is less powerful, the engine will be able to take full advantage of the console.

So your argument even on Watch Dogs is not based on fact. It's based off your logic, which Ubisoft doesn't share.

There has been no evidence so far that the wii u is anything other than current gen performance so far. Not exactly the same I grant you but in the ballpark area. So many fantasy figures have been conjured up but that's not evidence. Evidence is based on how a console performs, what fabrication process it uses, what developers have stated, how much power it consumes and most importantly the architecture which has been x-rayed. All this evidence points to current gen performance.

Watchdogs is not an example of what the wii u is capable of because we haven't seen it. It's quite possible it will be visually similar to current gen models with extra gamepad features. That would be the expected performance level based on past games. Assasin's Creed 3 is from the same actual developers and is weaker than the ps3 and 360 versions both visually and in frame rates.

http://www.eurogamer...-wii-u-face-off

It also made minimal use of the gamepad. This time around the wii u has to do a lot more work with the gamepad which may be to the detriment of the main game detail.

Surely the time to say the wii u is more powerful than current gen is when the evidence supports it. That surely means the majority of cross platform games outperforming ps3 and 360. Currently the reverse is true. Once we have passed that milestone we can then start comparing to ps4 and xbox one. 

#18 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:31 AM

There has been no evidence so far that the wii u is anything other than current gen performance so far. Not exactly the same I grant you but in the ballpark area. So many fantasy figures have been conjured up but that's not evidence. Evidence is based on how a console performs, what fabrication process it uses, what developers have stated, how much power it consumes and most importantly the architecture which has been x-rayed. All this evidence points to current gen performance.

Watchdogs is not an example of what the wii u is capable of because we haven't seen it. It's quite possible it will be visually similar to current gen models with extra gamepad features. That would be the expected performance level based on past games. Assasin's Creed 3 is from the same actual developers and is weaker than the ps3 and 360 versions both visually and in frame rates.

It also made minimal use of the gamepad. This time around the wii u has to do a lot more work with the gamepad which may be to the detriment of the main game detail.

Surely the time to say the wii u is more powerful than current gen is when the evidence supports it. That surely means the majority of cross platform games outperforming ps3 and 360. Currently the reverse is true. Once we have passed that milestone we can then start comparing to ps4 and xbox one. 

There's been plenty of evidence, you've chosen to ignore it.  A few of us have spoonfed you information over and over, and over again, only for you to ignore it, and continue acting ignorant to avoid having to shed your confirmation bias.

Ubisoft themselves, in candid interviews (not the Sony paid advertising) have stated that all next gen versions of Watch_Dogs look "identical".

Assassins Creed 3 is not weaker than the other consoles in any area, the framerates are comparable, and they were given little time with non final hardware to port the game.  This is one of the games that is only using two of the Wii U CPU cores and the game is not optimized to use the SIMD available on the GPU, because the Nintendo tools weren't there at the time to help them get it done, and the GPU was foreign.  Also, linking an article with little journalistic integrity and a known bias against Nintendo doesn't really support your argument.

Doing more with the gamepad does not affect visuals or framerates or anything else.  The only situation that would affect anything is the introduction of an additional gamepad.

A Wii U game could feature a character popping OUT OF the gamepad to slap you in the face and you would still not consider it evidence enough.  You have an issue with not listening to anyone, and shaping every argument to fit your view regardless of the facts.

#19 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

Having a debate with you is impossible. Even if Nintendo shows you graphics that blow everything out of the water (that won't happen) you won't believe it.

And I'm sorry, Need of Speed Most Wanted is a vast improvement over the current generation. Or old whatever you want to call it.

http://www.examiner....better-graphics

Here is a link. Supporting my assessment.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#20 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

Having a debate with you is impossible. Even if Nintendo shows you graphics that blow everything out of the water (that won't happen) you won't believe it.

And I'm sorry, Need of Speed Most Wanted is a vast improvement over the current generation. Or old whatever you want to call it.

http://www.examiner....better-graphics

Here is a link. Supporting my assessment.

You can talk about frame rates, resolution, chip speed all you want- but I think you need a VERY trained and experienced eye to tell the difference.  I'll bet 90 percent of gamers might not be able to distinguish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!