Photo

Xbox One unveiled... Diminishing returns?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 The Ferryman

The Ferryman

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

Frankly the fifa and the cod game they showed did not see a bump in graphics i would have hoped for. Seems to me what 3Dude said was right, the wii u will be able to do everything the next consoles can, just to a lesser extent since it supports dx11 like effects and tessellation.

#2 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

I agree, I didn't expect a massive boost in graphics either. Neither the PS4 nor the Xbox One are the powerhouses people seemed to think would blow the Wii U away.

#3 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

We've been trumpeting this for months now, and it took a rather unimpressive xbox reveal to make it apparent.

I say unimpressive in terms of games, I'm hyped to the heavens for Halo TV series.

#4 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

Also diminishing returns in our wallets when trying to buy used games thanks to the used games fee....

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#5 thunderspider

thunderspider

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

not impressed by the graphics. So, these are the graphics that will made wii u looks like wii last gen. Sorry, your perfomance failed to impress me.

not impressed by the graphics. So, these are the graphics that will made wii u looks like wii last gen. Sorry, your perfomance failed to impress me.

#6 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

We've been trumpeting this for months now, and it took a rather unimpressive xbox reveal to make it apparent.

I say unimpressive in terms of games, I'm hyped to the heavens for Halo TV series.

unfortunately, if the show doesn't have constant flashbacks, a weird nonsensical plot and constant bickering between the humans, it won't last past a season and a half

#7 Keviin

Keviin

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,270 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

To be honest... I'd be surprised if we see a COD: Ghosts that looks like the other next-gen versions, or a Metroid game with graphics comparable to Killzone 4 (talking to next-gen in general, so not Xbox only). But it's not that one massive leap everyone was hoping for.

No sig.

#8 The Ferryman

The Ferryman

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

That fifa demo might have better animations and a bump in textures, but it didn't impress me..

Also diminishing returns in our wallets when trying to buy used games thanks to the used games fee....

3Dude the gpu has 768 operations per cycle, how does that compare to the wii u? Or we don't know what the wii u does? Also the 40nm chip rumor seems to be false.

Edited by The Ferryman, 21 May 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#9 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Honestly i haven`t seen one game that really impressed me. Liked the opening scene for KZ4 but the rest was...

Everything to me looks like the usual CGI - or whatever the name. It doesn`t seem new. I think that if CoD lives to it`s goal, it`s going to be a really good and pretty next gen (using graphics for something useful and using them well).

#10 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:40 AM

Not a very impressive reveal, not terrible but not great either.  It almost looks like this console is being positioned to sell through DirectTV or something more so than in retail stores.  Its not going to be cheap.  With comparable specs to the PS4 and having Kinect thrown it, this is a $500+ product.  Maybe a $200 up front cost if they do indeed partner with a TV provider.  It should be interesting to see just how they are planning to sell this thing.  All I know is that at retail, trying to sell a $500+ gaming console is a tough sell once you get past the hardcore fans. 

#11 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

To be honest... I'd be surprised if we see a COD: Ghosts that looks like the other next-gen versions, or a Metroid game with graphics comparable to Killzone 4 (talking to next-gen in general, so not Xbox only). But it's not that one massive leap everyone was hoping for.

COD ghosts new engine should have been used on PS3 and 360, they could pull of the visuals shown, and have, with games with similar art styles like uncharted.

Aside from that, Wii U will have some very impressive looking games, and 3rd party games will look the same on all consoles by and large.

#12 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

That fifa demo might have better animations and a bump in textures, but it didn't impress me..
3Dude the gpu has 768 operations per cycle, how does that compare to the wii u? Or we don't know what the wii u does? Also the 40nm chip rumor seems to be false.

Eh, thats a pretty old rumour man, and one that looks to be seriously sq
uashed if not aalready and long ago. In fact... ms didnt really say much of anything about specs... It was eerily..... Nintendo like of them.

We know it has a soc with an 8 core jaguar cpu, 8Gb ddr3, 25Mb embedded ram on gpu (color me surprised, strike up one point for wii u) and 3 freaking operating systems (wtf really?).... And a power draw of less than 100 watts. barely more than 360/ps3 slim.... And thats it.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#13 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

Eh, thats a pretty old rumour man, and one that looks to be seriously sq
uashed if not aalready and long ago. In fact... ms didnt really say much of anything about specs... It was eerily..... Nintendo like of them.

We know it has a soc with an 8 core jaguar cpu, 8Gb ddr3, 25Mb embedded ram on gpu (color me surprised, strike up one point for wii u) and 3 freaking operating systems (wtf really?).... And a power draw of less than 100 watts. barely more than 360/ps3 slim.... And thats it.

full windows kernal? or did I mishear during the announcement? 

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#14 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

full windows kernal? or did I mishear during the announcement? 

Yep

#15 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

POPULAR

All three next-gen consoles have been predicted to be close in power for months now, it isn't that shocking that this happend.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#16 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:16 PM

All three next-gen consoles have been predicted to be close in power for months now, it isn't that shocking that this happend.

and with that said, regarding games, i think Nintendo will once again offer a better experience in gameplay and innovation with it's gamepad. Just my opinion though.

PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#17 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

POPULAR

and with that said, regarding games, i think Nintendo will once again offer a better experience in gameplay and innovation with it's gamepad. Just my opinion though.

I agree.  Nintendo and Sony seem to be the most interested in games, Microsoft is trying to expand the userbase through massive media integration and accessibility.

#18 Brando67854321

Brando67854321

Cheep-Cheep

• Banned
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

I still blame the wii u's cpu for not getting unreal engine 4 when everyone else is.

#19 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

Xbox fanboy - " Well the Xbox One has 8 gigs of Ram "

Nintendo fanboy - " The Wii U only runs one OS "

Xbox fanboy - " Well we can run 3! "

Nintendo fanboy - "derp"

#20 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

I still blame the wii u's cpu for not getting unreal engine 4 when everyone else is.

Yeah, no.  You can blame shrewd business practice on EPIC's part.  They just finished porting UE3 to Wii U, there is no reason to port UE4, especially considering it has basically the exact same feature set sans the workflow, when they can let someone else do it, which will most likely be happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!