Photo

Solar Powered Plane Soars Across the U.S.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

In the 117 years since the first solar cell was developed and the 110 years since the first powered flight, you’d have thought we would have combined the two technologies by now. When you’re trying to get from place to place aboard the only practical vehicle we have that can travel above the clouds, the sun would seem like the first place you’d look for power. At the Ames Research Center at Moffett Field in California, the Solar Impulse company is at last taking that step.

Headed by engineer and fighter pilot Andre Borshberg and psychiatrist and balloonist Bertrand Piccard, and backed by Deutsche Bank, the Omega watch company and the Solvay Idustrial group, Solar Impulse has produced a plane that is equal parts elegant and improbable. The Solar Impulse HB-S1A has a wingspan of 208 ft. (63.4 m)—as large as that of an Airbus A340—yet it weighs only 3,500 lbs (1,600 kg), about the size of an average car. A lot of that weight is solar panels, which cover the wings and the smaller tail fins. The plane has reached an altitude of 30,300 ft. (9,235 m) and stayed aloft for a record 26 hrs., 10 mins and 19 secs. The developers don’t pretend there’s anything remotely practical about the HB-S1A yet. Like Lindbergh’s Spirit of St. Louis, it carries a crew of one. But like that long ago plane too, it’s meant as a proof of concept—and a teaser of what’s to come. ”Our plane is not designed to carry a passenger, but to carry a message,” Piccard likes to say. Message received.

Read more: http://science.time..../#ixzz2TzRCW8DI

This article is a few days old, but I thought it'd be interesting to hear about the first Solar Plane.  :) 

Edited by Rod Serling, 21 May 2013 - 04:50 PM.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

They are screwed if they are planning to go to New York to England with the sun not following them.

I am terrified of planes, I get shivers when i hear one that is really close to the ground, thinking it will come down crashing in my area feeling that chilling impact.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#3 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

They are screwed if they are planning to go to New York to England with the sun not following them.

I am terrified of planes, I get shivers when i hear one that is really close to the ground, thinking it will come down crashing in my area feeling that chilling impact.

Oh God me too. There's this commercial plane that flies low every morning to the airport. The planes fly over my house too. 

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#4 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

Sme how I think this is old. It's been done before but it was a smaller plane.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#5 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

This just scares me about planes even more lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!